Do you believe in God, and if so, why?

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#152 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

This philosophical discussion is nice but it doesn't make God real.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 aretilda

@thegerg said:

@aretilda: Of course a discussion doesn't make a god real, but thanks for pointing out the horribly obvious.

You're welcome :P

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#155 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

No I don't believe in a God, even though my mother's side of the family are pretty devout Christians... But I've always been an atheist. I simply don't believe it.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By aretilda

@hrt_rulz01 said:

No I don't believe in a God, even though my mother's side of the family are pretty devout Christians... But I've always been an atheist. I simply don't believe it.

Yeah same here, finally I had to explain to my mom that I just don't believe in it no matter how much convincing, I only believe in science stuff that's real.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Agnostic Atheist here.. The only thing that irked me with the belief of god was the pompous notion, that we are some how his/her/it's greatest creation, that we are some how important.. When in actuality there is no word out there that can describe how small we are in the cosmos.. This isn't suggesting we are worthless, merely the hilarious precedent of self importance many popular religious beliefs hold that we are some how the center of attention of this great being.. A great being that has created a universe with stars that far outnumber how many grains of sand we have on every beach in the entire world.. IN which we occupy one grain of sand, and we can't even get beyond our own planet.. And most likely never will before we die out.

Equally amusing are the many people out there who believe in god who completely disregard every scientific discovery we have made as a species because it doesn't fit in their overly simplistic view of reality, even when it doesn't contradict the existence of a greater being to begin with.. Something like the Big Bang Theory does not contradict the notion of religious belief in there being a god, in fact I would argue that such event is far more fantastical and awe inspiring, then god taking 7 days to create one planet.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

No. Because I'm very happy in life and don't need religion to be happy or drown out guilt. Some need religion and some don't.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

I believe in God but I believe that we are God, you want proof? You create your reality everyday.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#161  Edited By TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@-Blasphemy- said:

I believe in God but I believe that we are God, you want proof? You create your reality everyday.

Does that mean I can make myself a multibillionaire chick magnet?

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By -Blasphemy-

@TheWalkingGhost: if that's what you really want, if you want something bad enough then it will happen. what are you doing to make it happen? through our thoughts, emotions and actions we create the realities we live in.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#164  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VgJDoEHnM&list=PL2B35CE6A0BD5F718

Give this video a try (it's under an hour) and ignore the Buddhism (the terminology specifically). He has a grasp on what Buddhists call "shunyata" (suchness/voidness/thusness/emptiness/etc/etc) and the act of existing within it more than any modern Buddhist thinker (or non-thinker) I have encountered.

That man was amazing. I watched the entire thing. He reminds me of my teachers who thought me a bit of Sufism. Now I know that Sufism and Buddhism are even more alike that I'd imagined. He makes some wonderful remarks and I agree with more than 80 percent of what he says.

That said I don't completely fail to understand why one would not find "God" there. This happens to me as well especially when I'm fully synced with haqq. To me it's not "But I can't sense God" but it's rather "which one is God?" which are the same thing when you think about it. There are only four possible interpretations:

First to say that "God is inferior to haqq" which easily contradicts the concept of God.

Second to say that "God is superior to haqq" which means that seeking haqq is not seeking God but in reality seeking haqq is all we need so then why does God need to exist and why do we need to follow him instead of haqq IF he exists?

Third to say that "God is haqq and haqq is God" which means that we now understand the essence of God which makes God inferior to us.

And the fourth option is to say that "There exists no God only haqq" which at this point makes the most sense.

"Even kill the Buddha if he's standing in your path" . We have a similar concept and we call it "luminous hijab" hijab meaning curtain. You're so close to "him" that his light illuminates the curtain but he is not the curtain and the curtain is not him and thus the luminous curtain too needs to be overpassed. And these curtains will block your way until you completely disregard your every definition of him. Doing this doesn't hurt someone who already doesn't believe in God but what if you're a believer in God? Doesn't this mean blashepmy? And think of it: You have to disregard your every definition of him But in doing so what will happen?... You will completely lose trace of him. You will no longer have your ropes and strings that connect you to him. At this point your only choice is to be with him completely, at all times, everywhere. To "solve in him" is the only way you can be certain that you truely comprehend him...

I guess this is where we go our separate paths. Before I entered this state of bewilderment caused by what I described above, God asked me to take an oath that I should keep believing in him even in "a time of not knowing him and yet knowing him". This is quite bitter... And I wasn't strong enough and broke the oath countless times through my words and actions... And this is the reason I haven't been a very devout person for the past three years...

Anyways since you were kind enough to post a wonderful link let me do something similar. There's this book called "Conference of the Birds" and in my opinion it's the best Sufi book out there. It's less than 50 pages and it has been my spiritual guideline. Ignore it's Islamic tone and give it a try. There are already two versions of it on the internet. Get the one in prose.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#165  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@alim298 said:

That man was amazing. I watched the entire thing. He reminds me of my teachers who thought me a bit of Sufism. Now I know that Sufism and Buddhism are even more alike that I'd imagined. He makes some wonderful remarks and I agree with more than 80 percent of what he says.

That said I don't completely fail to understand why one would not find "God" there. This happens to me as well especially when I'm fully synced with haqq. To me it's not "But I can't sense God" but it's rather "which one is God?" which are the same thing when you think about it. There are only four possible interpretations:

First to say that "God is inferior to haqq" which easily contradicts the concept of God.

Second to say that "God is superior to haqq" which means that seeking haqq is not seeking God but in reality seeking haqq is all we need so then why does God need to exist and why do we need to follow him instead of haqq IF he exists?

Third to say that "God is haqq and haqq is God" which means that we now understand the essence of God which makes God inferior to us.

And the fourth option is to say that "There exists no God only haqq" which at this point makes the most sense.

"Even kill the Buddha if he's standing in your path" . We have a similar concept and we call it "luminous hijab" hijab meaning curtain. You're so close to "him" that his light illuminates the curtain but he is not the curtain and the curtain is not him and thus the luminous curtain too needs to be overpassed. And these curtains will block your way until you completely disregard your every definition of him. Doing this doesn't hurt someone who already doesn't believe in God but what if you're a believer in God? Doesn't this mean blashepmy? And think of it: You have to disregard your every definition of him But in doing so what will happen?... You will completely lose trace of him. You will no longer have your ropes and strings that connect you to him. At this point your only choice is to be with him completely, at all times, everywhere. To "solve in him" is the only way you can be certain that you truely comprehend him...

I guess this is where we go our separate paths. Before I entered this state of bewilderment caused by what I described above, God asked me to take an oath that I should keep believing in him even in "a time of not knowing him and yet knowing him". This is quite bitter... And I wasn't strong enough and broke the oath countless times through my words and actions... And this is the reason I haven't been a very devout person for the past three years...

Anyways since you were kind enough to post a wonderful link let me do something similar. There's this book called "Conference of the Birds" and in my opinion it's the best Sufi book out there. It's less than 50 pages and it has been my spiritual guideline. Ignore it's Islamic tone and give it a try. There are already two versions of it on the internet. Get the one in prose.

To me the whole concept of "God" unnecessarily complicates things. As (my memory isn't as good as it once was in this area) a Buddhist figure (I think it was the Buddha) said; every concept, idea or "thing" you conceive of or use to try to define your experience is merely one more hurdle or roadblock on the path to enlightenment. The more you try and "connect" with God (nirvana, supreme reality, Atman, etc), the further away you will get from it/him/her. In essence.

To me, this experience revealed an impersonal oneness that defied all sense of "being" or "essence". It lacked inherent existence and truly fell in line with everything I have read about the Buddhist concept of shunyata (or emptiness). It was, essentially, nothing... and everything. Ever since, I have found it easier and easier to fall into the same "non-state" of existing (mentally) within the moment, but only when I have been truly happy and free (which has almost exclusively been behind the wheel of a delivery truck on the open highway).

I'll give that book a look. Sufism always appealed to me (as a mystical tradition from the South Asian area) and always look to learn more about religion that doesn't focus on politics and war (i.e. most historical religious institutions).

If you are interested in some academic work on mysticism, I suggest you take a look into Jeffrey Kripal. He has some, very unique, ideas that are not yet making waves in the academic study of religions (but I predict they will in the next decade or two).

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

1. I've never seen him on TV. In fact I haven't seen him anywhere.

2. I never heard him

3. I never felt his presence in my life.

So my conclusion is that God doesn't exist.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#167 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Yes, because

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#168 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@pariah3 said:

1. I've never seen him on TV. In fact I haven't seen him anywhere.

2. I never heard him

3. I never felt his presence in my life.

So my conclusion is that God doesn't exist.

LOL. Don't tell me, I don't exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

@top_lel said:

Now you're just trolling I think.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 top_lel

@pariah3 said:

@top_lel said:

Now you're just trolling I think.

Have you ever seen me on TV?
Have you ever heard of me?
Have you ever felt my presence?

By your logic, I shouldn't exist as well. Maybe you need to work on your wording. Or maybe you can just find a better reason to not believe in God.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

@top_lel: That set of criteria doesn't suggest something doesn't exist, only that there is no reason to actively think it does.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@-Blasphemy-: Tommorow I shall be Iron Man

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 top_lel

@dsmccracken: Exacta, that's why I discouraged that type of thinking.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 -Blasphemy-

@Randolph said:

@-Blasphemy-: Tommorow I shall be Iron Man

it has to be something realistic

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By aretilda

@top_lel said:

Have you ever seen me on TV?

Have you ever heard of me?

Have you ever felt my presence?

By your logic, I shouldn't exist as well. Maybe you need to work on your wording. Or maybe you can just find a better reason to not believe in God.

Your logic is infallible I'm impressed! I approve of this message. People have you ever seen heard, smell, feel, taste God? Doesn't exist!

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 top_lel

@aretilda: to whom was that directed?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@magicalclick: omnipotence is logically impossible. Still not Iron Man today. :(

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 aretilda

@top_lel said:

You were the only one that was quoted :)

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 top_lel

@aretilda said:

@top_lel said:

You were the only one that was quoted :)

That didn't make any sense then.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#180  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I am a Reformed Baptist. Another name for it is Calvinist, in case some don't know. If anyone wants to ask me anything specifically about my faith, please do.

In the meantime, I'd like to address this question: "If God exists, why is there so much evil in the world?" The truth is, God actually restrains many peoples' evil, including yours and mine. As humans, we have disgusting, evil thoughts. We think about doing things that are absolutely repulsive. You know you do it. But what is it that restrains us from turning some of those thoughts into illegal actions? Yes, society and laws, for one. But Romans 13 communicates to us that God has established governments to punish the evil of men, to restrain it. So that's one way he does it. God does not restrain everyone, however, and those people are examples to us so we can see our condition.

But why is it that we look at the mugshots of criminals on television and not see ourselves? They're human like us, so that tells me that we have the propensity to do similar evils. The scary thing is, we do commit many evils against God daily. You've disobeyed and mistreated your parents, hated people in your heart, stolen, cursed the God who created you, coveted things that are not yours, lusted and cheated, etc, etc. Instead of asking, "Why does God allow so much evil?", the better question is "Why has not God taken my life in judgment for all of the horrible things I have done?" If God must deal with evil, he must deal with all of it; He can't pass by you just because you have ranked your evil on a scale and decided that it is not as bad. That is the reason that Christ died, for our transgressions against God. Yes, the death of Christ displays God's love for the people whom he saves, but it also shows how terrible we are as humans, sinners. It took the death of a member of the Godhead to redeem those who come to believe in Him.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

god can be historically traced to human fiction to explain natural events that were once unexplained.

/thread

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Well I know that I consider the belief in aliens legit, but I'm sure that doesn't count. God... Hmmm, eh.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#184 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I believe in steel, gold coins, and men's wits.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#185  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

This is a rather old thread.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56439 Posts

@scottpsfan14: So you bump a 2 month old thread just to say this?