Do you believe in God??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#251 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Here i wanna try to help from the Scriptures its says

19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Romans 1:19-20ipod_360_gamer

Contradiction alert! How can one "see" something that is "invisible"?

--

I was reading Luke yesterday and found some interesting passages.

49 While He was still speaking, someone came from the house of the synagogue official, saying, "Your daughter has died; do not trouble the Teacher anymore."
50 But when Jesus heard this, He answered him, "Do not be afraid any longer; only believe, and she will be made well."
51 When He came to the house, He did not allow anyone to enter with Him, except Peter and John and James, and the girl's father and mother.
52 Now they were all weeping and lamenting for her; but He said, "Stop weeping, for she has not died, but is asleep."
53 And they began laughing at Him, knowing that she had died.
54 He, however, took her by the hand and called, saying, "Child, arise!"
55 And her spirit returned, and she got up immediately; and He gave orders for something to be given her to eat.
56 Her parents were amazed; but He instructed them to tell no one what had happened.

So basically: An official from the synagogue (I assume someone who is experienced with seeing people being dead, and knowing when they are dead) says their daughter is dead. Jesus goes in with the mother and father, and his closest and most trusted disciples, no one else is allowed in to see or witness, and he then says "she is but sleeping" and brings her back to "life" and tells the mother and father to tell no one about what they saw.

So what I've gathered from this "miracle" is that either the child wasn't actually dead, just in a catatonic state and Jesus knew how to "wake" her up... or he didn't actually bring her back to life and just consoled the parents by giving them a discourse on God's Word and told them their daughter has been "brought back to life" in the Kingdom of Heaven, and to not tell anyone about this, only tell them their daughter is "still alive."

See... this is my problem with the Bible and Jesus' divinity and miracles. They are so vague that it only makes me more sceptical about the actual events and think about how Jesus couldn't have actually been the "son of God" and was merely a really nice guy who wanted to reform Judaism (which I also read in the Bible). The "evidence" the Bible presents about their truth is just so wishy-washy, and makes me wonder more about the actual events, rather than the mythologized ones accounted in the Bible (given that these things were written down well after Jesus' death, I don't doubt they went through the "telephone" and got heavily modified from their original account so that they would carry more weight for the faithful).

ipod_360_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 ipod_360_gamer
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts

[QUOTE="ipod_360_gamer"]Here i wanna try to help from the Scriptures its says

19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Romans 1:19-20foxhound_fox

--

49 While He was still speaking, someone came from the house of the synagogue official, saying, "Your daughter has died; do not trouble the Teacher anymore."
50 But when Jesus heard this, He answered him, "Do not be afraid any longer; only believe, and she will be made well."
51 When He came to the house, He did not allow anyone to enter with Him, except Peter and John and James, and the girl's father and mother.
52 Now they were all weeping and lamenting for her; but He said, "Stop weeping, for she has not died, but is asleep."
55 And her spirit returned, and she got up immediately; and He gave orders for something to be given her to eat.
56 Her parents were amazed; but He instructed them to tell no one what had happened.

So basically: An official from the synagogue (I assume someone who is experienced with seeing people being dead, and knowing when they are dead) says their daughter is dead. Jesus goes in with the mother and father, and his closest and most trusted disciples, no one else is allowed in to see or witness, and he then says "she is but sleeping" and brings her back to "life" and tells the mother and father to tell no one about what they saw.

So what I've gathered from this "miracle" is that either the child wasn't actually dead, just in a catatonic state and Jesus knew how to "wake" her up... or he didn't actually bring her back to life and just consoled the parents by giving them a discourse on God's Word and told them their daughter has been "brought back to life" in the Kingdom of Heaven, and to not tell anyone about this, only tell them their daughter is "still alive."

See... this is my problem with the Bible and Jesus' divinity and miracles. They are so vague that it only makes me more sceptical about the actual events and think about how Jesus couldn't have actually been the "son of God" and was merely a really nice guy who wanted to reform Judaism (which I also read in the Bible). The "evidence" the Bible presents about their truth is just so wishy-washy, and makes me wonder more about the actual events, rather than the mythologized ones accounted in the Bible (given that these things were written down well after Jesus' death, I don't doubt they went through the "telephone" and got heavily modified from their original account so that they would carry more weight for the faithful).

I just take the scriptures word i mean she must be living if he gave her something to eat.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="ipod_360_gamer"]Here i wanna try to help from the Scriptures its says

19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Romans 1:19-20ipod_360_gamer

--

I just take the scriptures word i mean she must be living if he gave her something to eat.

I'm with you. I think Jesus brought her back to life. That is what I read at least.

caribo2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#254 caribo2222
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts

Near death experiences prove an afterlife exists. Use this to build your faith-

http://www.near-death.com/evidence.html

Scientific proof for life after death

some examples-

1.People have near death experiences while brain dead

2.Out of perception during NDE has been verified

3.People born blind can see during NDE

Go to the site learn the truth

Islandbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Islandbeats
Member since 2008 • 1034 Posts
If god exists then he's an a-hole.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 Hatiko

If god exists then he's an a-hole.Islandbeats

I take it you've had bad experiences.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 foxhound_fox

I'm with you. I think Jesus brought her back to life. That is what I read at least.

Hatiko

Why? All the written evidence is so vague, that one could determine almost anything from it.

Islandbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Islandbeats
Member since 2008 • 1034 Posts

[QUOTE="Islandbeats"]If god exists then he's an a-hole.Hatiko

I take it you've had bad experiences.

Not me personally. If he does exist and hes all knowing, powerful, etc. and yet he still allows so many natural and man-made distasters to happen to innocent people then he sounds like an a-hole to me. Just my opinion and yes Im probably going to hell if it exists.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

foxhound_fox

Why? All the written evidence is so vague, that one could determine almost anything from it.

"And her spirit returned, and she got up immediately"

Vague?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 foxhound_fox

"And her spirit returned, and she got up immediately"

Vague?

Hatiko

Quoting out of context.

I am talking about everything leading up to that. Do we just accept their word of the account despite Jesus telling the parents not to say to others what went on in their house? Or despite Jesus saying "she was just sleeping"? There is a lot of interpretation hidden in these passages, and my point is, to just take them literally, out of context and accept them outright is highly irrational.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Yes i believe in the gods. But this question is confusing. Are you refering to The christian god? If not then you should change it to God/s. Jupiter ftw.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]"And her spirit returned, and she got up immediately"

Vague?

foxhound_fox

Quoting out of context.

I am talking about everything leading up to that. Do we just accept their word of the account despite Jesus telling the parents not to say to others what went on in their house? Or despite Jesus saying "she was just sleeping"? There is a lot of interpretation hidden in these passages, and my point is, to just take them literally, out of context and accept them outright is highly irrational.

I know I was quoting out of context. The point is that he brought her back. His capabilities to heal. Just because you have different interpretations doesn't mean it didn't happen.

She's just sleeping: Seems like just saying "Don't worry she's notgone yet, look what I can do"

Not wanting to let what happened get out: The people wanted Jesus dead for being the Savior, what do you think they would of done for "raising the dead?" Necromancers were scouted and killed during the Crusades.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i believe there could be a god, who knows? i just don't believe it's the christian god, hindu god, mormon god, muslim god or any other man made god.

Fares20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Fares20
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

ALL the believers in God , just like me , please just leave those non believers talk and talk , because at the end , we will laugh at them at the afterlife because we talked enough so we'll see them in the afterlife when they are burning and not dieng

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 foxhound_fox

I know I was quoting out of context. The point is that he brought her back. His capabilities to heal. Just because you have different interpretations doesn't mean it didn't happen.

She's just sleeping: Seems like just saying "Don't worry she's notgone yet, look what I can do"

Not wanting to let what happened get out: The people wanted Jesus dead for being the Savior, what do you think they would of done for "raising the dead?" Necromancers were scouted and killed during the Crusades.

Hatiko

But quoting out of context removes conditions that may lead to different conclusions... :?

Just because the Bible said it happened doesn't mean it did happen. These accounts are most definitely not accurate re-tellings of history. Who is to say that Jesus' so-called "healing powers" were just his ability to comfort those in pain, and it was his disciples that over-exaggerated his comforting into an elaborate myth about him "healing" people miraculously and raising them from the dead?

I'm pretty sure the Romans wanted Jesus dead because he was a threat to the established institution, and his being prophesied "King of Israel" didn't help his cause either. The Romans wouldn't just hand over a city to some guy from the street, saviour or not.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 foxhound_fox

ALL the believers in God , just like me , please just leave those non believers talk and talk , because at the end , we will laugh at them at the afterlife because we talked enough so we'll see them in the afterlife when they are burning and not dieng

Fares20

Judge not lest ye be judged.

I would quote more scripture at you, but I have to go to work.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Fares20
But my religion dosn't have Burning lakes, or a very fruity man dressed in red (no, not Xaos:lol: ).
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

foxhound_fox

But quoting out of context removes conditions that may lead to different conclusions... :?

Just because the Bible said it happened doesn't mean it did happen. These accounts are most definitely not accurate re-tellings of history. Who is to say that Jesus' so-called "healing powers" were just his ability to comfort those in pain, and it was his disciples that over-exaggerated his comforting into an elaborate myth about him "healing" people miraculously and raising them from the dead?

I'm pretty sure the Romans wanted Jesus dead because he was a threat to the established institution, and his being prophesied "King of Israel" didn't help his cause either. The Romans wouldn't just hand over a city to some guy from the street, saviour or not.

So then don't read beyond what is said. All we have to go on is the readings. We can't just make things up and say "he just comforted" or "overexaggeration" because that isn't even said there, it's just pulling stuff out of thin air.

And even if I didn't quote out of context there is nothing that is vague. It clearly tells you what happens. If you make things up, then thats another problem because then that can be applied to any type of history.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#269 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I don't pay attention to religion. There may be a god, there may not be. If I continue to live a good life, I should get into heaven no matter what, if it does exist.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

No I do not, and until he introduces himself to me I will continue to think this way

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Hatiko

No I do not, and until he introduces himself to me I will continue to think this way

Overlord93

Why do people say this. The whole point of faith is trust. God wants us to choose. He doesn't want to force it. He gave us the power of choice.

Gamer-Geek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Gamer-Geek
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts

How can I not the proof is evident, I am muslim and believe in Allah.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

Hatiko

Why do people say this. The whole point of faith is trust. God wants us to choose. He doesn't want to force it. He gave us the power of choice.

If a man with a van offered you free candy, would you trust him? No. Why not? until I have some substancial evidence that this is a reputable candy distribution firm I will refuse to co-operate

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

Overlord93

If a man with a van offered you free candy, would you trust him? No. Why not? until I have some substancial evidence that this is a reputable candy distribution firm I will refuse to co-operate

Actually we know what happens when you trust the candy vanners. We don't know if we are rewardes in heaven or not. There are no news reports on what happens after death but there are about candy van people. Bat analogy.

And God =/= Candy Vanner

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hatiko

Actually we know what happens when you trust the candy vanners. We don't know if we are rewardes in heaven or not. There are no news reports on what happens after death but there are about candy van people. Bat analogy.

And God =/= Candy Vanner

Surely no news reports is proof that we are not rewarded after we die?
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]If a man with a van offered you free candy, would you trust him? No. Why not? until I have some substancial evidence that this is a reputable candy distribution firm I will refuse to co-operate

Overlord93

And God =/= Candy Vanner

Surely no news reports is proof that we are not rewarded after we die?

I'm just saying, we know what happens with one because we have people that know, the other is based on faith. Your the one that made the bad analogy, don't turn this around on me. It's about faith, we don't know.We have to have trust because we don't know, no one has come back and said, hello, I just came from heaven (people have done that but people are skeptical...) but with the van people, we know that they lure children, well because people have been lured, killed, etc. and the news/ protection people warn everyone else. So God =/= Cand Vanners.

Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Yes, I belive in the heavenly Father.

Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts

Does he count?

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
[QUOTE="ArmoredCore55"]I believe in God, I'm a Christian.Vinegar_Strokes
but do you believe in God because your a Christian or are you a Christian because you believe in God?

I saw this on the first page, and thought I'd give my answer to this question. I believe in God and I am a christian. To answer you question, I believe in God because he loves me completely and beyond reason. Being an active christian is the only thing I could imagine doing the wake of such love.
GREENSLIPPERS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 GREENSLIPPERS
Member since 2009 • 1057 Posts

absolutely not.. (but i do have an affinity for wearing pants.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

How can I not the proof is evident, I am muslim and believe in Allah.

Gamer-Geek
what proof?
ruhunrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 ruhunrocks
Member since 2010 • 321 Posts

i lol'd at te poll

supergoat777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 supergoat777
Member since 2010 • 1470 Posts

Simple question do you believe in God?

caribo2222

Ya

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 foxhound_fox

So then don't read beyond what is said. All we have to go on is the readings. We can't just make things up and say "he just comforted" or "overexaggeration" because that isn't even said there, it's just pulling stuff out of thin air.

And even if I didn't quote out of context there is nothing that is vague. It clearly tells you what happens. If you make things up, then thats another problem because then that can be applied to any type of history.

Hatiko

The logical rationalist in me only seeks an answer that comes from wisdom and discernment... not blind acceptance of a vague "truth" found in an out of context quote. If a passage in a holy text leads me to believe that there might be mythologized elements to the account, then I am going to notice them and take them into account when considering the teaching. I'm not just going to ignore the text in front of my face in favour of the "faithful" thing to do.

You should read that whole passage again. I am not infering anything... its all there clear as day. He blatantly tells the father and mother NOT to tell anyone else what happened in their home. That alone makes me question its validity. And the vagueness comes from the line where Jesus says she is "sleeping." Does that mean he knows she is in a catatonic state that mimics death? Or is he using sleep as a metaphor for death?

Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Coffee_Blade
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts
I don't believe in the all loving and all knowing god but perhaps someone whipped us up
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#287 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
....If only I felt like reading through this entire topic right now...:( If its still alive tomorrow, I'll definitely reply to some of the comments I've just read...
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#288 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I don't believe in the all loving and all knowing god but perhaps someone whipped us upCoffee_Blade

As in the sense that more advanced aliens may have genetically engineered the human race as we know ourselves today, and then been viewed as Gods? I can go with that if so.

Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Coffee_Blade
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

[QUOTE="Coffee_Blade"]I don't believe in the all loving and all knowing god but perhaps someone whipped us uphartsickdiscipl

As in the sense that more advanced aliens may have genetically engineered the human race as we know ourselves today, and then been viewed as Gods? I can go with that if so.

If thats case then yes
dartboy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 dartboy2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yes.Bible-believing Christian.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

foxhound_fox

The logical rationalist in me only seeks an answer that comes from wisdom and discernment... not blind acceptance of a vague "truth" found in an out of context quote. If a passage in a holy text leads me to believe that there might be mythologized elements to the account, then I am going to notice them and take them into account when considering the teaching. I'm not just going to ignore the text in front of my face in favour of the "faithful" thing to do.

You should read that whole passage again. I am not infering anything... its all there clear as day. He blatantly tells the father and mother NOT to tell anyone else what happened in their home. That alone makes me question its validity. And the vagueness comes from the line where Jesus says she is "sleeping." Does that mean he knows she is in a catatonic state that mimics death? Or is he using sleep as a metaphor for death?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean evreyone else is "blind" and your the only one that can "see" because you read too far into it and make things up. Like I said, you can apply what you saidto any history and see inconsistencies. So what, you question it, that doesn't make you some sort of "all seer".

And out of context is if I took pieces of the passage to make it seem like it said something else, I simply took a phrase that I thought you were referring to and asked how it was so vague.

Eucalypta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Eucalypta
Member since 2004 • 17145 Posts

I dont care too much about it to crack my brain over it.

Ubeyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#293 Ubeyone
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I believe and fear Allah the One, the only, the Magnficent.

I can provide evidence through my own experiences, though you will brand me as crazy, so I won't openly.