Do you believe in God??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The proof that you say you see i your daily life is no different than the proof that people say they see about God's existence Most people just take someone's word for why something is there w/out understanding the howrawsavon

It is different, that's what I've been trying to convey. God's existence isn't falsifiable nor verifiable, things such as gravity, cell theory, germ theory are. They're verifiable because they are repeatable. One cannot "repeat" their feelings of God and present that as proof to another individual.

If I may pose a hypothetical to you however. Lets say you go to your doctor because you are deathly ill, do you take his advice on the matter given his status as an expert in the medical field?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]This topic started quite well but is heading the trash way. I suggest you fall back raw ASAP.rawsavon
Why? Though I will stop at 29,999 posts ...have a little party planned

because now we are going in circle. Tho go on if you are enjoying yourself.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

quick question if you do not believe in God then why do you poop your pants at every single topic about God and religion if its real? if you know God is not real then why bother commenting? Athest are quick to troll on this type of subject or fire the first shot.

acsam12304

I've said nothing on my stance of God in this thread and my posts are merely revolving around the notion of "proofs". It's anything but trolling. If you'd like to add to that discussion then fine. If not then bug off.

lol no you bug off. every single religion or God post there is your in it trolling.

* on OT looks at topic. "blah blah blah "God", blah blah blah "religion" says to him self "i have to go in there and make my point!"*

Look if you've got nothing to add then don't bother posting, that would be the definition of trolling.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
[QUOTE="wstfld"]No. Never did even with 15 years of weekly church attendance, Sunday School and a confirmation.BrianB0422
Same here. As soon as confirmation was over and I was given a choice about going / not going to church I never looked back.

It was so excruciating jumping through all of those hoops when I had already arrived at my lifelong view at an early age. All that fake praying and writing fake faith statements for all those years. Really awkward.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] The proof that you say you see i your daily life is no different than the proof that people say they see about God's existence Most people just take someone's word for why something is there w/out understanding the howHoolaHoopMan

It is different, that's what I've been trying to convey. God's existence isn't falsifiable nor verifiable, things such as gravity, cell theory, germ theory are. They're verifiable because they are repeatable. One cannot "repeat" their feelings of God and present that as proof to another individual.

If I may pose a hypothetical to you however. Lets say you go to your doctor because you are deathly ill, do you take his advice on the matter given his status as an expert in the medical field?

Yes. But I do not demand proof as most people do. I accept what people say (as I have said ITT, I have proved nothing in life...thus I do not demand it) There are athiests that do not demand prrof either. This is fine. My problem is with those that demand proof in one area and not in all the other areas of their life -having others 'prove' something =/= being proved to you
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#156 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

I've said nothing on my stance of God in this thread and my posts are merely revolving around the notion of "proofs". It's anything but trolling. If you'd like to add to that discussion then fine. If not then bug off.

HoolaHoopMan

lol no you bug off. every single religion or God post there is your in it trolling.

* on OT looks at topic. "blah blah blah "God", blah blah blah "religion" says to him self "i have to go in there and make my point!"*

Look if you've got nothing to add then don't bother posting, that would be the definition of trolling.

your doging my point. why do you care so much for this kind of topics.

you ask me why am i here and asking you and why i care. simple i hardly bother commenting in these types of topics because no matter what you say or do will make you win the subject. and the more and more i go to these topics and just read the replies from them more and more i see Atheist fires the first shot or first to troll and thats just plan dumb.

its like if you see someone say " i believe in God because he loves me and he will protect me" something in your head click and quickly attack that person for saying that. really why bother good for him/her she thinks that. shame on you for even attacking in the first place.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Do people place different levels of importance on different things...yes, of course Do they demand 'proof' of the things they deem as major...nope, not really -dna -atoms -other really important stuff ...I don't see anyone (99.9% of people) going out there and proving anything major...i see them accepting what others say But this is not the case with God...whyTeenaged

As I implied, this sounds more like a position of doubt towards the very existence of proof of anything. At the end of the day, yes there might be no 'proof' for anything.

If we go that way then please see the issue the way I rephrased it.

I don't think there is 100% proof for anything...but that is not my point. There mty be 99.9% proof (or w/e level you want to say) People do not even prove things 99.9% of the way. They just accept what people that sound smart say. I do this as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But these same people that do not prove anything, expect it when it comes to God
PirateSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 PirateSatan
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

[QUOTE="PirateSatan"]I believe in and worship me, so I click the Worship Satan Option. But, I do not believe in any God and consider my self an Atheist. Fares20

What do you even mean? You worship Satan and don't believe in any God ? what did you mean by that confusing statement?

My user name on here is PirateSATAN. I was saying that I believe in and Worship me so the "Worship Satan" option fit.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 HoolaHoopMan

your doging my point.

acsam12304

You haven't even made a point. All you've done is jump into a discussion that doesn't concern you.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 HoolaHoopMan

I don't think there is 100% proof for anything...but that is not my point. There mty be 99.9% proof (or w/e level you want to say) People do not even prove things 99.9% of the way. They just accept what people that sound smart say. I do this as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But these same people that do not prove anything, expect it when it comes to Godrawsavon

So do you accept what your doctor tells you in the ER then?

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 acsam12304

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

your doging my point.

HoolaHoopMan

You haven't even made a point. All you've done is jump into a discussion that doesn't concern you.

thats what u did to me last time with i was talking to someone deal with it you did it to me im doing it to you.

your doging my point. why do you care so much for this kind of topics.

you ask me why am i here and asking you and why i care. simple i hardly bother commenting in these types of topics because no matter what you say or do will make you win the subject. and the more and more i go to these topics and just read the replies from them more and more i see Atheist fires the first shot or first to troll and thats just plan dumb.

its like if you see someone say " i believe in God because he loves me and he will protect me" something in your head click and quickly attack that person for saying that. really why bother good for him/her she thinks that. shame on you for even attacking in the first place.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts
[QUOTE="ganon92"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] This is what life is pretty much all about. People will always think their way is the best and they know better, but that does not change the fact that truth has only one face and that a lot of people have to turn out wrong. Its sad, but true. It really makes me sad but what can I do.GazaAli

Indeed.

But consider that you might be wrong in your world view and that, for example, Christianity is in fact the truth, or Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism etc etc.

You have to choose a side eventually so you do your research and believe.

so you see religion as a 'side' to be on.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

[QUOTE="acsam12304"]

your doging my point.

acsam12304

thats what u did to me last time with i was talking to someone deal with it you did it to me im doing it to.

How about this, if you want to have a meaningful conversation on something of your choice go start a thread about it. All you've contributed to this thread has been red herrings and a slaughter of the English language.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

yes.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
Absolutely not. the whole idea of a god is silly and the hypocrisy of past events and "god" is astounding
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 acsam12304

Do you believe in God??

Yes

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#171 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Did anyone else here toss out God when they found out Santa and the Easter Bunny weren't real? It was a really easy step to make as a kid. Did anyone else become an atheist before going through religious indoctrination? Most other atheists I know had to wrestle with it for a while after going through the whole Christian education system (CCD, Sunday School, Confirmation, etc.). wstfld

You mean the Catholic education system, not the Christian education system. They are but one denomination. TBH I think the Catholic Church makes up things just for fun and to control their flocks. They have more non-biblically based traditions than any major religion I've ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

Since I believe that death is the end of my existence, there really isn't any way to answer your question. If I am proven wrong and there is an afterlife, I am not willing to compromise and bow to a God whose behavior is unethical; that's not compromise to me, that's surrender.xaos

This is more or less what I was going to write. God is just a word anyway with many different and somwhat conflicting defintions.

Fares20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Fares20
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

[QUOTE="Fares20"]

[QUOTE="PirateSatan"]I believe in and worship me, so I click the Worship Satan Option. But, I do not believe in any God and consider my self an Atheist. PirateSatan

What do you even mean? You worship Satan and don't believe in any God ? what did you mean by that confusing statement?

My user name on here is PirateSATAN. I was saying that I believe in and Worship me so the "Worship Satan" option fit.

You said : ''I was saying that I believe in and worship me'' , you worship yourself!?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"] I know that is what people do. That is my point. We place value in someone's words and accept them as truth (they may or may not be...science gets proven wrong all the time). We do no 'proving' on our own...just say 'you sound smart on this issue, I will believe you' But then there are people that demand proof (that do not otherwise demand it on anything esle) when it comes to some 'being' existing (or not) I have no issue with people believing or not (see my OP) I just take issue with people's belief being based on proof only...when most people prove nothing in their daily lives.u_r_a_sausage
I just don't see how it's comparable. There are tons of factors making it much, much more likely that atoms exist than that God exists. For example: if other people have a proof of God, why isn't it widely known? The theistic population would waste no time in pointing it out to everyone else. On the other hand, it's a lot more believable that the scientific community has been less evangelical about why the Schrodinger equation is accurate. Another reason: that as I said, when a large body of people with the authority to speak about something do so in overwhelming agreement, it is likely that they are right.

I am not saying that there is not more evidence for one than the other...not by any means. BUT: Accepting the word of a person as proof (no matter how many say it) on most every issue in your life and expecting proof on one specific issue seems foolish -not too many years ago all those in authority would have said that God was real (and we would be having the opposite conversation)
PirateSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 PirateSatan
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

[QUOTE="PirateSatan"][QUOTE="Fares20"]

Fares20

You said : ''I was saying that I believe in and worship me'' , you worship yourself!?

FO SHO... I sacrifice unicorns to me Once a month....
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Do people place different levels of importance on different things...yes, of course Do they demand 'proof' of the things they deem as major...nope, not really -dna -atoms -other really important stuff ...I don't see anyone (99.9% of people) going out there and proving anything major...i see them accepting what others say But this is not the case with God...whyrawsavon

As I implied, this sounds more like a position of doubt towards the very existence of proof of anything. At the end of the day, yes there might be no 'proof' for anything.

I don't think there is 100% proof for anything...but that is not my point. There mty be 99.9% proof (or w/e level you want to say) People do not even prove things 99.9% of the way. They just accept what people that sound smart say. I do this as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But these same people that do not prove anything, expect it when it comes to God

of course there is 100% proof for somethings.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] I don't think there is 100% proof for anything...but that is not my point. There mty be 99.9% proof (or w/e level you want to say) People do not even prove things 99.9% of the way. They just accept what people that sound smart say. I do this as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But these same people that do not prove anything, expect it when it comes to GodHoolaHoopMan

So do you accept what your doctor tells you in the ER then?

I accept what most people in authority positions say (authority as in knowledgeable about a subject But I do not demand proof of anything
Fares20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Fares20
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

[QUOTE="Fares20"]

[QUOTE="PirateSatan"] My user name on here is PirateSATAN. I was saying that I believe in and Worship me so the "Worship Satan" option fit. PirateSatan

FO SHO... I sacrifice unicorns to me Once a month....

LOL that's so rediculisly funny , sorry but hahahahahahahahaha

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Well there are arguments for the existence of God that have not effectively been refuted and since no one has proven the existence of God is impossible, then I maintain a positive agnosticism on the subject.

Mega-Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Mega-Mustaine
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts
I want to believe, but there's little to no proof he exists, so not really.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 hartsickdiscipl

I think we can all agree that at present, we have no way of scientifically proving that God exists. Therefore, we must fall back on reason and a thorough examination of all the available evidence. We're not going to find the type of material "proof" that would satisfy Atheists with current methods. Now of course we can come to different conclusions from the same evidence, so I can only share my own.

I believe in a God or "Gods" for a number of reasons. I was raised as a Christian (Jehovah's Witness), and have read the whole Bible more than once. From the time I was born into my teen years, I attended Bible study meetings at least 2 to 3 times a week, every week. In more recent years I've spent a great deal of time learning about the creation "myths" and roots of religions from around the world. I can't call myself an "expert" on anything but Christianity, but I feel that I have a decent overview of other beliefs as well.

Personally, when I look at the striking similarities between creation stories, flood stories, encounters with "heavenly" beings, etc.. from different cultures around the world, I come to one conclusion. That is that ancient mankind had some incredible experiences and interactions with some advanced beings. Whether or not they fit your definition of what a "God" should be is a separate issue. After all, the very concept of God in relation to humanity started with those who first encountered said beings, and wrote about them. I believe that these encounters formed the basis for the major religions around the world today. There are writings from the temple of Ashurbanipal in Nineveh that specifically say that humans were genetically engineered by some beings that came from the sky. I can't believe that some humans from thousands of years ago that had never seen anything more advanced than a chariot would have just made that up. There are paintings from the renaissance period and earlier that show what appear to be humanoid-looking aliens in spacecraft flying above events such as Jesus' execution. There are just too many indicators for me to ignore.

Like I said earlier, there is currently no hard proof that will convince people who don't want to believe, or who only accept a smoking gun.

From the evidence that I've seen from societies from around the world throughout history, I can't believe that they all just made this stuff up. I can't believe that they formed religions around nothing, or around weather events that they didn't understand. There is too much specific information given in these writings. Noah was told to build an ark out of a specific type of wood, and to make it a specific size and shape. According to mainstream historians, nobody was building ships anywhere near that size for at least 2,000 years after the account is said to have been written. Who the hell would have known how to design such a boat in that period of time? Who could have made that up?

These are the questions that lead me to believe that yes, there is a God of sorts.

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#184 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

I do not.

ipod_360_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 ipod_360_gamer
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts

I want to believe, but there's little to no proof he exists, so not really.Mega-Mustaine
Here i wanna try to help from the Scriptures its says

19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. Romans 1:19-20

Im continually growing in my faith but i wanna try to help you heres a site i found that i like that could help you.

http://www.biblestudyspace.com/forum/topics/jeremiah-291314-you-will

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 magiciandude

I want to believe, but there's little to no proof he exists, so not really.Mega-Mustaine

You can't prove a negative.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#189 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts

[QUOTE="Mega-Mustaine"]I want to believe, but there's little to no proof he exists, so not really.magiciandude

That's his point really; the positive (God's existence) has not been proven.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 HoolaHoopMan

I accept what most people in authority positions say (authority as in knowledgeable about a subject But I do not demand proof of anythingrawsavon

And like I've been repeating endlessly in this thread, it goes back to the idea of verifiable and falsifiable ideas. You don't demand your doctor show you endless amounts of medical journals after his diagnosis because he is an authority on issue, just as a physicist is on physics and chemist in his field.

The reason why you don't see people demanding proof endlessly for the idea that matter is made up of atoms, or that disease is made up of tiny invading life forms ,is because they are well documented and deemed "true" due to repeat experiments validating their results and conclusions. You seem to be hung up on this notion that people just assume what researchers say it true and only continually demand proof for God.

Let me tell you that when a scientist comes up with an experiment revolving around a certain hypothesis that isn't very well understood or new to any given field that there are plenty of people out there that demand proof. If the experiment survives the hurdles of peer review the lingering "demand" as you put it will eventually disappear because that need as been satisfied by repeat experiments. The reason why people still demand proof of God is because these needs have not been met in anything that could be remotely considered objective nor falsifiable in the slightest.

If there was anyway that God could be verified by empirical means we wouldn't need to keep demanding proof for it's existence, that is the difference between "proof" of God and a scientific theory. One can be verified, the other simply cannot.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]I believe in a God or "Gods" for a number of reasons. I was raised as a Christian (Jehovah's Witness)u_r_a_sausage
Ah, so THAT's why you were arguing that marital rape was just fine! Now we know.

lmfao.. nice. You have a good memory :P My argument was more that a spouse shouldn't deny their partner sex, more than an argument in favor or marital rape. But whatever.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 magiciandude

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="Mega-Mustaine"]I want to believe, but there's little to no proof he exists, so not really.ganon92

You can prove the positive assertion that something is impossible. You can't prove something doesn't exist, but you can prove that its existence is impossible. You can't prove that something didn't happen, but you can prove that it was impossible for something to have happened.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44620 Posts
with how much OT is filled with topics about either god or atheism, there should just be an entirely separate forum for it
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#194 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

no now wheres my burgers and fries:x

The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

I believe in some sort of god.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#196 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts

[QUOTE="ganon92"][QUOTE="magiciandude"]

magiciandude

You can prove the positive assertion that something is impossible. Anyone who insists that God does or does not bear the burden of proof. You can't prove something doesn't exist, but you can prove that its existence is impossible. You can't prove that something didn't happen, but you can prove that it was impossible for something to have happened.

This is trickier when it comes to God since we can say that his existence is impossible due to our understanding of physical laws, but God is meant to transcend the universe's laws as he created them and exists both within and outside the universe. As such it isn't possible to prove that it is impossible he can't exist because it would require transcendent means to do so.

Magnus_Vlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Magnus_Vlad
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'm communist, and i Do Belive in God. And i think everyone shuld belive, even it dosn't exsist, its good placebo...

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

Nope.

I was raised in a home with a Lutheran and a Catholic, I went to both of their churches, and eventually I was Confirmed at the Lutheran church. I haven't been back to church since my Confirmation day.

As a child, I found religion confusing and strange and I mostly was attracted to the rituals and the architecture of churches. In junior high, I said that I believed in God, but I can't remember if I actually did. I flirted with Judaism when I was 14-15, and ever since then I've gone through varying phases of agnosticism and atheism...and even agnostic atheism!!

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]As I implied, this sounds more like a position of doubt towards the very existence of proof of anything. At the end of the day, yes there might be no 'proof' for anything.

Vinegar_Strokes

of course there is 100% proof for somethings.

People in the past would have said the same thing about the world being flat, the sun going around the earth, objects falling at different speeds, etc.
-there was 'proof' for all those things
-who is to say what will stand the test of time

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#200 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I'm a spiritual person more than anything else. I don't believe in any particular god but I do believe there maybe an afterlife.