Do you approve of "women and children first" policies?

• 55 results
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you approve of "women and children first" policies? (34 votes)

Yes 59%
No 41%

A disproportionate amount of men (especially in the lower classes) died in the sinking of the Titanic because of a "women and children first" policy. Do you think such a policy is ethical or not?

I think it's really rotten to place differing values on the lives of people based on age, gender, and class.

• 
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Although I personally would put a preference on children, I think when it comes to men and women there shouldn't be one. However, I see no problem in some cases placing different values on the lives of people based on age and class. If it comes down to saving a 70 year old and a 40 years old, odds are I am going to save the younger of the two because of that person's (at the time) valued "potential". Same goes for class. If I had to choose between a janitor and a CEO, I'd probably save the CEO. In other words, I ain't no Batman.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Its difficult to defend it when as a society we are so quick to champion equality.

However I personally attach more value to the lives of women and children than I do my own. It wouldnt take a horrific incident to get me to sacrifice my life for a woman or a child. I would mind betting in the Titanic situation it was women of child baring age that were saved an probably not elderly women, but i might be wrong, iv done zero research.

Again, I cant give a reason, to me it just feels right. Equally if either me or my male best friend next to me were going to die id probably take the plunge first. I love being alive dont get me wrong, but I see no shame in dying if it allows another to live.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Its rich, rich beautiful women, rich kids first ... Titanic, while poor women and kids drowned =P

Anyways, its should be kids and elderly above able men and women.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

The problem there is that a bunch of people were gonna have to die regardless. That's a necessary consequence of there not being enough lifeboats. Which means that there necessarily has to be some criteria for determining who gets to live, even if that's nothing more than "whoever gets to the lifeboats first." You can argue all you want that the lives of people shouldn't be "valued" based on something like age, but that begs the question: what exactly should be the criteria for who is "worth" being saved? There's an implicit value judgement going on no matter how you cut it. If you don't base that on age, then you could just as easily base that on whoever is strong enough to knock the women and children out of the way.

So the question isn't about whether or not it was wrong to place different values on peoples' lives. The question is by what standard such a value assessment should be made.

Given the circumstances, I'm relatively okay with the "women and children first" thing. I guess one could argue that occupation would be a more reasonable metric (after all, a male surgeon would likely be "worth" more to society than a female prostitute), but given the circumstances I'm wagering that they didn't have time to perform a rigorous application process.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Thinking logically in a situation like the titanic, yes, I'd put women and children first, especially in 1912 or whatever year it was that the titanic went down. Simply because children are the future, yada yada yada, and I can't imagine the men of 1912 having a ton of luck raising children should they survive. That was women's work back then, so it makes sense to send those who know how to care for the children with them.

I'd like to say today that everyone should get an equal chance (eg 9/11), but if the interest were to keep the earth populated (post-apocalyptic or something), keeping the women and children alive should be the priority. Men are of course also necessary, but I don't need to explain the birds and the bees to OT, do I? It's a lot easier for one man to impregnate 10 women than one woman to be impregnated by 10 men. One can be done in a weekend and the other takes about 10 years..

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

To put it simply, men are more expendable when it comes to procreation. In the time period one woman can carry a single pregnancy to term a man could potentially impregnate hundreds, if not thousands of women. That is part of the reason why in most countries with conscription only men are subject to it.

As for children, most of them are innocent and should be protected.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 always_explicit

@indzman said:

Its rich, rich beautiful women, rich kids first ... Titanic, while poor women and kids drowned =P

If you are trying to evacuate a sinking ship do you really want to waste time making sure the blue rinse brigade gets up safely from bottom deck, or do you wanna get as many people on the rafts as possible. Lets remember this was a cruise ship, oldies love a cruise.

Its women and children first after all. Not women and children only.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By indzman

@XilePrincess said:

It's a lot easier for one man to impregnate 10 women than one woman to be impregnated by 10 men. One can be done in a weekend and the other takes about 10 years..

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By indzman
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

If you are trying to evacuate a sinking ship do you really want to waste time making sure the blue rinse brigade gets up safely from bottom deck, or do you wanna get as many people on the rafts as possible. Lets remember this was a cruise ship, oldies love a cruise.

Rich men got on the boats before poor women and kids HeHe

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I agree with half of it =P I will always do my best to get children out of harm's way first...other than that I'd risk my life for anyone...man, woman, elderly, they don't have less right to live than me. As for priority (after the children) it's going to be either whoever is closest, whoever needs help the most or whoever I think has a chance of being saved.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By always_explicit

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

Its just not true google it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By indzman

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

I remember this scene a poor woman comforting two asleep kids below deck while ships sinking, why she didn't made it out?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

I remember this scene a poor woman comforting two asleep kids below deck while ships sinking, why she didn't made it out?

Because they wanted an emotionally charged scene? =P

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 always_explicit

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

Some people were trapped below deck, various compartments flooded. Large amounts of water the other side of doors meant it was often impossible to open them (think how heavy a bucket of water is). Hundreds of people were trapped below deck in air pockets waiting for oxygen to run out with no means of escape. Nasty way to die.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman said:

Because they wanted an emotionally charged scene? =P

I thought they were showing how poor people are left to die while rich gets away lol.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 indzman
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

Some people were trapped below deck, various compartments flooded. Large amounts of water the other side of doors meant it was often impossible to open them (think how heavy a bucket of water is). Hundreds of people were trapped below deck in air pockets waiting for oxygen to run out with no means of escape. Nasty way to die.

Ahhh! I thought all this time they were left to die, my apologies.Yup:(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: Yeah, that was their point. I was just being silly XD But I don't trust movies to accurately portrait an event that happened over 100 years ago.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 always_explicit

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

Well you were not wrong, essentially they were left to die, not only were compartments flooded, there were too few life rafts, the water temperature was below freezing. \but thats what happens when you brand a ship unsinkable, people get complacent lol.

Avatar image for elliotskywalker
elliotskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 elliotskywalker
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

in fact, i'd choose i don't know, maybe the weak should get the upper hand, but when facing the death, each one has the same right to get the last chance to survive

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Children definitely.

Women want equality, so they get to go when the men get to go.

And really, the whole reason there was a disproportionate amount of men that died was because there wasn't enough life boats for the whole ship. Modern cruiseliners don't have this problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

Been quite a while since I've watched the movie, but I think that's the impression they want to give you. If I remember the movie correctly (I may be wrong), they purposefully closed the gate between upper and lower decks so that the "low people" wouldn't be competing for space on the life rafts.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

Ahh so you were actually present during the titantic sinking? so that would make you without a doubt the oldest member on gamespot and who still play games. Nice job and i hope the gamespot staff make a article about you.

SMHBU.......

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By indzman

@Jacanuk said:

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

Ahh so you were actually present during the titantic sinking? so that would make you without a doubt the oldest member on gamespot and who still play games. Nice job and i hope the gamespot staff make a article about you.

SMHBU.......

lol wut?

I was talking about a scene from the movie, what did you think ??? =P

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jacanuk

@indzman said:

@Jacanuk said:

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

SMHBU.......

lol wut?

And i was just making a joke since what does a movie scene made to stir a emotional response in the viewers have to do with the real titanic and women and kids first.

:D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By indzman

@Jacanuk said:

@indzman said:

@Jacanuk said:

@indzman said:

@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:
@always_explicit said:

@indzman said:

SMHBU.......

lol wut?

And i was just making a joke since what does a movie scene made to stir a emotional response in the viewers have to do with the real titanic and women and kids first.

:D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 indzman

@foxhound_fox said:

LMFAO

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@indzman: "Anyways, its should be kids and elderly above able men and women."

Yeah but elderly are gonna die soon anyway.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

I agree that equality should be important, but at the same time the fact remains that average women in general are less "physically capable" than the average men. In situations such as Titanic this meant that men would not be able to use brute force to overpower women and save themselves. This of course wouldn't happen, but I suspect the idea stems from logic like that, and the very notion of "women and children first" being beaten into our heads since forever means that we are pretty much subconsciously wired to help them in dangerous situations.

Is it fair? Probably. Without this ideal I'd suspect women and children would have a much higher chance of perishing in disasters compared to men.

Of course at the end of the day I'm just philosophizing on a video-game forum.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

child first is illogical. less has been invested in them so far.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

By your logic it should be elderly first?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@comp_atkins said:

I have invested nothing on you...I'm leaving your ass behind next time =P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By indzman

@xeno_ghost said:

@indzman: "Anyways, its should be kids and elderly above able men and women."

Yeah but elderly are gonna die soon anyway.

I feel bad when i see elderly's, feel compassion towards em heh.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3864 Posts

At the time the Titanic sunk the relationship between men and women were different. Women were women and men were men. Today it is not the same as it was then so the question should use a different example.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk

@JimB said:

At the time the Titanic sunk the relationship between men and women were different. Women were women and men were men. Today it is not the same as it was then so the question should use a different example.

Nope, today men are women and women are men and vice versa :D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 indzman

@Jacanuk said:

@JimB said:

Nope, today men are women and women are men and vice versa :D

ROFL

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 comp_atkins

@chaplainDMK said:

@comp_atkins said:

nope. able-bodied ( productive ) adults first since the world would most be affected by their loss.

old folks and kids can fight it out for the rest of the lifeboat spots

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@indzman said:

@foxhound_fox said:

LMFAO

Giving women special treatment would be sexist.

warriorsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 warriorsq
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

"Chivalry" when it benefits the woman, "sexism" when it benefits the man

TrueChartreuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TrueChartreuse
Member since 2014 • 97 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

@chaplainDMK said:

@comp_atkins said:

nope. able-bodied ( productive ) adults first since the world would most be affected by their loss.

Hitler-logic prevails.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

Children YES!
Women = HELL NO!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 comp_atkins

@truechartreuse said:

@comp_atkins said:

@chaplainDMK said:

@comp_atkins said:

Hitler-logic prevails.

i just want to see who would win in a fight. a geriatric or a dozen 3-year olds.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Are these policies that are even in place? I mean your example is from the Titanic which was like 100 years ago

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I do.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

But if I stared at Leo's eyes long enough I might jump out off my boat.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#46 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

How about they should have found out how many ppl all the life boat could cArry sold that many tickets problem solved I hope they do that now BC hell no I believe first came first serve

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I approve the "myself above all else" policy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Children fine, woman no.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts

I wonder what the titanic would be like in today's age of gender confusion. Guys claiming they are actually girls, FTM trannys trying to take it back, etc...it would be absolute chaos

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

No, because I don't benefit from these policies.