Do you actually believe Karma exists?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

I know she exists. I saw her standing on the corner of 5th and Main last night.

rjxtian

She overcharges. I'd rather go with reality. Even though it costs about the same it's a much wilder ride.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I do bad things and nothing back fires.

If you believe in it, then it'll happen.

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="slateman_basic"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] so why are there killers who never been caught and how come the guy who dropped the a-bomb in japan lived to a old age? whats your opinion on that

Who knows the quality of those killers' lives? 10 years from now, they may be overcome with guilt and kill themselves. Oh and the guy who dropped the A-Bomb did the right thing. Saved a ton of lives. In the end, it all works out.

saved a ton? you cant make that statement since we didnt see the outcome without the bomb being dropped

It was a ridiculously difficult decision to make. Both of the choices could have been considered right or wrong.
werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 werthog14
Member since 2005 • 420 Posts

Of course!

How could the Karma Police exist if Karma doesn't?

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts
[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="slateman_basic"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] so why are there killers who never been caught and how come the guy who dropped the a-bomb in japan lived to a old age? whats your opinion on that

Who knows the quality of those killers' lives? 10 years from now, they may be overcome with guilt and kill themselves. Oh and the guy who dropped the A-Bomb did the right thing. Saved a ton of lives. In the end, it all works out.

saved a ton? you cant make that statement since we didnt see the outcome without the bomb being dropped

Its a pretty logical conclusion if you look at the accounts of taking Okinawa and Saipan.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Karma, from my personal research into Hinduism and Buddhism, is nothing like it is portrayed in the West. It is merely a quantification of cause and effect. And from what I understand of the scripture that I've read, it seems it is even misrepresented in the native culture itself. The lay practitioners believe it to be some sort of heavenly currency, that the more good they get, the better rebirth they will get... yet, ultimately, the goal in both Hinduism and Buddhism is the same: liberation from the cycle of karmic/samsaric rebirth. They completely ignore the fact that the goal is to get rid of all your karma (good and bad) and be released from samsara (into Brahman or nirvana).

Also, from my personal interpretation of the Upanishads (the commentaries on the Aranyakas, which are commentaries on the Brahmanas, which are commentaries on the Vedas), I've come to understand that there is no continuous "self" or "soul" that continues on after death, only the sole collection of experiences culminating together and having a particular influence on another person's new life. Its not Person A keeps being Person A in a new body, more like Person A becomes Person B, becomes Person C, etc. They all share a connection, but it isn't an individual, or unique "soul" (since according to the Upanishads: the Self is Brahman, Brahman is Consciousness, and We are all Brahman). I know that's what the Vedas say, but the Upanishads are further commentaries on the Vedas, that expand and improve some ideas. They are accepted as shruti.

~~~

Also, just as another point, karma doesn't always effect you in this life, it can take many lifetimes before its effects manifest themselves (or so goes the belief). So just because someone doesn't recieve karmic "justice" in this life time, doesn't mean they won't in a future life time (i.e. a worse rebirth).