do christians have a license to sin by believing in jesus? (story inside)

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

An Open Letter to the Church from a Lesbian

[spoiler]

To the churches concerning homosexuals and lesbians:

Many of you believe that we do not exist within your walls, your schools, your neighborhoods. You believe that we are few and easily recognized. I tell you we are many. We are your teachers, doctors, accountants, high school athletes. We are all colors, shapes, sizes. We are single, married, mothers, fathers. We are your sons, your daughters, your nieces, your nephews, your grandchildren. We are in your Sunday School classes, pews, choirs, and pulpits. You choose not to see us out of ignorance or because it might upset your congregation. We ARE your congregation. We enter your doors weekly seeking guidance and some glimmer of hope that we can change. Like you, we have invited Jesus into our hearts. Like you, we want to be all that Christ wants us to be. Like you, we pray daily for guidance. Like you, we often fail.

When the word homosexual is mentioned in the church, we hold our breaths and sit in fear. Most often this word is followed with condemnation, laughter, hatred, or jokes. Rarely do we hear any words of hope. At least we recognize our sin. Does the church as a whole see theirs? Do you see the sin of pride, that you are better than or more acceptable to Jesus than we are? Have you been Christ-like in your relationships with us? Would you meet us at the well, or restaurant, for a cup of water, or coffee? Would you touch us even if we showed signs of leprosy, or aids? Would you call us down from our trees, as Christ did Zacchaeus, and invite yourself to be our guest? Would you allow us to sit at your table and break bread? Can you love us unconditionally and support us as Christ works in our lives, as He works in yours, to help us all to overcome?

To those of you who would change the church to accept the gay community and its lifestyle: you give us no hope at all. To those of us who know Gods word and will not dilute it to fit our desires, we ask you to read Johns letter to the church in Pergamum. I have a few things against you: You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and by committing sexual immorality. Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. Repent therefore! You are willing to compromise the word of God to be politically correct. We are not deceived. If we accept your willingness to compromise, then we must also compromise. We must therefore accept your lying, your adultery, your lust, your idolatry, your addictions, YOUR sins. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

We do not ask for your acceptance of our sins any more than we accept yours. We simply ask for the same support, love, guidance, and most of all hope that is given to the rest of your congregation. We are your brothers and sisters in Christ. We are not what we shall be, but thank God, we are not what we were. Let us work together to see that we all arrive safely home.

A Sister in Christ

[/spoiler] a_lesbian

the person who wrote this is a follower of christ and admits to her sin saying, "At least we recognize our sin."

i don't know her fate, but it would seem things wouldn't turn out well for her in an afterlife... but she believes in jesus. but then she continues to purposfully live her life in sin. isn't this backwards?

i don't get it, can someone explain it to those of us who are confused.

Oh and here is the link.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I read the topic title as 'does christian bale have a license to sin...' I was much better that way, imo.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
No. Christians have a responsibility to hold themselves to a higher standard. Though many may disagree.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

sure.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
No, but non-Christians certainly do, and I encourage sin wherever possible.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
My brain is currently not working well enough to actually read the OP, I confess, but in response to the topic title I find that Romans 6:1-2 answers the question, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?"
4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts
No, but non-Christians certainly do, and I encourage sin wherever possible.Zeviander
you're the devil!
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

TC - no, they do not. Christians are supposed to repent of sin, not 'recognize it' and keep doing it.

Edit:  John 8: 1-11 puts it into perspective
1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
That lesbian will still be going to hell by Christian standards, regardless what she thinks is acceptable
bort_hurs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bort_hurs
Member since 2012 • 202 Posts
I suppose she should consider herself lucky that her death triggering a journey to a new dimension of fire and devils is somewhat unlikely, but she isn't about to 'recognize' that by the look of it.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

As long as you buy some indulgences 

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zeviander
you're the devil!4myAmuzumament
I most certainly am.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Why are atheist pushing the gay agenda so hard,we get it you support gay people congrats
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

My question is, why do some homosexuals like this woman still cling to Christianity? Why not just leave church instead of "sitting in fear"? Any religion that makes you feel unwelcome isn't one worth following. 

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

That lesbian will still be going to hell by Christian standards, regardless what she thinks is acceptableGamingVengeance

Yet Christ never said one word about homosexuality.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]That lesbian will still be going to hell by Christian standards, regardless what she thinks is acceptableworlock77

Jesus never said one word about necrophilia either. My response here is not to say both things are the same, my response is one of absurdity to show that this is an argument from silence and has little to no weight. It's best to make arguments about what is stated, not about what the Bible is silent about.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]That lesbian will still be going to hell by Christian standards, regardless what she thinks is acceptablemindstorm

Jesus never said one word about necrophilia either. My response here is not to say both things are the same, my response is one of absurdity to show that this is an argument from silence and has little to no weight. It's best to make arguments about what is stated, not about what the Bible is silent about.

The point is that Christians, I feel, make far too large an issue out of homosexuality. Granted the Old Testament (which many christians are quick to point out doesn't apply to them any other time) does have prohibitions against it. But Jesus never raised the issue (which one would think he would have if he still considered it to a big deal). So it's a bit presumptious to assume that the lesbian is going to Hell "by Christian standards".

For that matter, by Christian standards, it's presumptious to assume that anybody is going to Hell, since judgement is the domain of God and God alone.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

It could be construed that way, and I know many people who think that, but the purpose of recognizing and forgiving sins in the Christian faith is to recognize our faults and try our best to correct them.

It's one of those things where the answer is subtle, yet extremely obvious, but people who are trying to be edgy or "smart" try to take it as it's literal meaning when it's the minority of people who try to understand the question actually take it as face-value.

In other words, no, Christians are not given a "license to sin". We are given a way to attone for our mistakes and correct them to make ourselves better people, otherwise it serves no purpose. Think about it: why would a man who believes in an all-knowing, all-powerful omnipotent being try to exploit an obvious loophole he knows only leads to a guaranteed spot in eternal torment and anguish? It's logic I'd expect from an episode of Looney Tunes.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts
"sin was created to sell an imaginary cure for an imaginary disease" or something along those lines
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
If i remember my Christian Sunday schooling correctly, we're all innately "sinners". We humans are also very stupid and usually weak minded, and although we try not to sin, even the most devout might stray. Thus we ask for forgiveness, both for past, and future sins. No-one can be perfect, all we can do is strive for perfection and request forgiveness when we sin. A lesbian is a sinner, but then again we all are. She must simply ask Jesus for forgiveness.
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

the saddest part is that whoever wrote that letter actually thought they could make a difference using their sentimentalism.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love Galatians 5:13
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love Galatians 5:13hiphops_savior

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Such a loving, peaceful god.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Why are atheist pushing the gay agenda so hard,we get it you support gay people congrats Bucked20
Why are the religious so concerned about what others do in their own bedroom?  

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#26 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love Galatians 5:13wis3boi

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Context is very important. In this case, Jesus is handing instructions to his disciples in Matthew 10. Any believer will find hostility, often with their own families. Just ask any Christians who grew up in a Muslim family.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love Galatians 5:13hiphops_savior

Context is very important. In this case, Jesus is handing instructions to his disciples in Matthew 10. Any believer will find hostility, often with their own families. Just ask any Christians who grew up in a Muslim family.

Any decent christian cannot reconcile their own morality with the bible's tales, and this is what I am witnessing right here

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Any decent christian cannot reconcile their own morality with the bible's tales, and this is what I am witnessing right here

wis3boi

Sounds like you're just taking things too literally.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts
My brain is currently not working well enough to actually read the OP, I confess, but in response to the topic title I find that Romans 6:1-2 answers the question, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?"mindstorm
Because something known as personal accountability is eliminated through the sacrifice of another? Isn't that the whole point? You continue living in sin if you wish to or not because it's inherent to your very nature. Hell, if you do so much as THINK, you sin. So sin really is entirely irrelevant. The concept is nothing more than a way to justify and enforce belief, aka theological entrapment. This is why I find Christianity so disgusting...people don't believe it from inside their heart, they believe in it from the outside for the worst of reasons...namely that one is filth and requires redemption through the vicarious suffering of another. I'm sure many don't believe just for this reason alone, but it is the central tenat of the faith.

And I've never understood believers quoting scripture to unbelievers to help understand. They're statements, not explanations, and to someone who does not believe it really means nothing anyway. But I see this used all the time.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

My brain is currently not working well enough to actually read the OP, I confess, but in response to the topic title I find that Romans 6:1-2 answers the question, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?"mindstorm
so who wrote Romans?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

It could be construed that way, and I know many people who think that, but the purpose of recognizing and forgiving sins in the Christian faith is to recognize our faults and try our best to correct them.

It's one of those things where the answer is subtle, yet extremely obvious, but people who are trying to be edgy or "smart" try to take it as it's literal meaning when it's the minority of people who try to understand the question actually take it as face-value.

In other words, no, Christians are not given a "license to sin". We are given a way to attone for our mistakes and correct them to make ourselves better people, otherwise it serves no purpose. Think about it: why would a man who believes in an all-knowing, all-powerful omnipotent being try to exploit an obvious loophole he knows only leads to a guaranteed spot in eternal torment and anguish? It's logic I'd expect from an episode of Looney Tunes.

WiiCubeM1
So the best of efforts assures me a ticket through them gates even though I don't believe? That's a relief.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Why are atheist pushing the gay agenda so hard,we get it you support gay people congrats Bucked20

Because if there is no God, then gays should get married.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Palantas

My question is, why do some homosexuals like this woman still cling to Christianity? Why not just leave church instead of "sitting in fear"? Any religion that makes you feel unwelcome isn't one worth following.

Vari3ty

"Christianity" is a pretty diverse religion. A person can be gay and not have any conflict with their particular flavor of Christianity. (I believe someone around here pointed out that Jesus didn't prohibit it.) However, what I don't understand is why people stay with particular churches that ban some behavior of theirs. Or worse, they go and join a church that disagrees with something they do.

Like, why the f*ck would Palantas go A.) Join a church that says drinking alcohol is against God, and then B.) Complain all the time that this church makes anathema of my favorite pasttime, and C.) Try to get the church to change their position. Why wouldn't I instead go join some church that allows drinking in moderation (as many churches do)? But no, people go and do this all the time, on a whole range of issues.

I don't get it. I theorize that "church" is very much a social thing. People will keep going to a church because they like the people and experience. The theological aspects are secondary to all but the most hardcore believers. So people join churches that don't agree with their lifestyle, then they b!tch about it.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zeviander
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love Galatians 5:13hiphops_savior
But indulging in the pleasures of the flesh is our natural state. Evolution would not have made doing things pleasurable, whether alone, with another, or with a group, had it not been beneficial to our survival. Christianity is essentially anti-human survival.
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Why cant the people who are ill treated by religion just drop religion all together and start something new?

This is so much like a toxic relationship.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 worlock77

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Palantas

"Christianity" is a pretty diverse religion. A person can be gay and not have any conflict with their particular flavor of Christianity. (I believe someone around here pointed out that Jesus didn't prohibit it.) However, what I don't understand is why people stay with particular churches that ban some behavior of theirs. Or worse, they go and join a church that disagrees with something they do.

Like, why the f*ck would Palantas go A.) Join a church that says drinking alcohol is against God, and then B.) Complain all the time that this church makes anathema of my favorite pasttime, and C.) Try to get the church to change their position. Why wouldn't I instead go join some church that allows drinking in moderation (as many churches do)? But no, people go and do this all the time, on a whole range of issues.

I don't get it. I theorize that "church" is very much a social thing. People will keep going to a church because they like the people and experience. The theological aspects are secondary to all but the most hardcore believers. So people join churches that don't agree with their lifestyle, then they b!tch about it.

Spot on. I guess maybe I could see it if there isn't an "open and affirming" church near them, then you don't have a lot of choice I guess. But in most moderate to larger sized cities one should be able to find at least a few churches that welcome homosexuals into their fold.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I dont like to play internet detective but...

4myAmuzumament

...really?

capitalism25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 capitalism25
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts

I'm an atheist but with respect to this question and my past religious education I will try to enlighten people in this discussion

Technically, a christian should not sin but because its unavoidable(if you can actually pull this off your probably the cleanest person i've never known) christians should minimize it instead and ask for forgiveness. 

In response to the church I dont believe it is required to complete your worship with the Lord. Christianity is a BELIEF just like atheism.....not a religion. People can interact and worship the Lord in their houses and worshipping the Lord in a giant chapel doesn't make you holier.

Also, that homo seems to be confused. Its pretty much a "death sentence" for that girl to be part of an extremist, unless she finds a Christian group that actually accepts her gender of choice. Its weird because Christians naturally live in fear toward the Lord and she also lives in fear. But what the concern here is the COMMUNITY...I've seen how far extremist can go concerning homosexuality

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
As long as they ask forgiveness their all good.
Intrinsic29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Intrinsic29
Member since 2013 • 35 Posts
I don't think anyone should care about biblical sins. Morality is complex enough on its own without trying to square all of our moral conclusions against ancient and self contradictory scripture, especially when we have no objective way of determining what is metaphorical within the scripture and what isn't.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 N30F3N1X

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love Galatians 5:13Zeviander
But indulging in the pleasures of the flesh is our natural state. Evolution would not have made doing things pleasurable, whether alone, with another, or with a group, had it not been beneficial to our survival. Christianity is essentially anti-human survival.

I believe the thought shared in the line you quoted is the same that started the eudaimonia pushed by stoic philosophers. It's not "against survival", it just means think about what you do before you do it.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I dont like to play internet detective but...

4myAmuzumament

...really?

Teenaged

Damn.

Thought it was him, but didn't see that.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zeviander
I believe the thought shared in the line you quoted is the same that started the eudaimonia pushed by stoic philosophers. It's not "against survival", it just means think about what you do before you do it.N30F3N1X
There is a difference between indulgence and compulsion. Christianity assumes any indulgence is a compulsion (or "sin"), especially if it is of a worldly thing.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

N30F3N1X

Sounds like you're just taking things too literally.

if the god of christianity is real, and part of his book is literal, and part is metaphor, then he is not only immoral, he is also amazingly stupid. 

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Palantas

[QUOTE="I"]

worlock77

Spot on. I guess maybe I could see it if there isn't an "open and affirming" church near them, then you don't have a lot of choice I guess. But in most moderate to larger sized cities one should be able to find at least a few churches that welcome homosexuals into their fold.

Thank you. I live in a small town south of Indianapolis. In town, there are at least a dozen churches. Within 30 minutes, there are probably 100.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 N30F3N1X

if the god of christianity is real, and part of his book is literal, and part is metaphor, then he is not only immoral, he is also amazingly stupid. 

wis3boi

Or perhaps the god of christianity is just to be intended in a different manner from what you think. And besides, how do you define what's literal and what's metaphor?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

N30F3N1X

Or perhaps the god of christianity is just to be intended in a different manner from what you think. And besides, how do you define what's literal and what's metaphor?

Just ask your preacher, surely he knows! :P

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 N30F3N1X

wis3boi

Don't have any preacher that could, I have my own interpretation of religion.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

N30F3N1X

Don't have any preacher that could, I have my own interpretation of religion.

My point is that you can't.  There are ~3000 types of christianity.  If that god was real and he really cared to spread his message so that everyone followed him, you wouldn't have such fragmentation.