Discussion for new boards

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

Poll Discussion for new boards (59 votes)

We should have a TV/Movies board 32%
We should not have a TV/Movies board 8%
We should have an Anime/Manga board 31%
We should not have an Anime/Manga board 10%
We should have an entertainment board with all the above plus books, etc. 17%
It should all stay in OT to keep the board alive 51%

Recently I (and other moderators) have been receiving quite a few requests for new boards to be created; top among the requests is a board for TV/Movies and an anime/manga board. The possibility (no promises!) is there but I wanted to know what OT thinks about it since most people who made the request are OT users.

For now the options on the table are those 2 boards or maybe a board that would encompass entertainment tv/movies/anime/manga/books/etc...feedback for other boards will be taken into consideration for future additions but it won't be part of this push.

Please let me know what you think (choose all that apply and feel free to explain your reasoning) and I'll take this poll to the higher ups if you guys want to see any of these new boards.

Also, let me know where you're interested in book discussion and where you think book discussion should go.

Thank you for your help =)

UPDATE: No point in requesting the return of OT After Hours since I got confirmation that this will not be happening.

• 
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

A board where nudity is allowed.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

OTAH needs to come back.

Was a fun place to post.

we cant post the same topics in OT. so its not like its drawing users away from OT.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

an entertainment board with everything above plus books and etc.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127505 Posts

I'm not here enough to give a vote I think.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#55 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@konvikt_17 said:

OTAH needs to come back.

Was a fun place to post.

we cant post the same topics in OT. so its not like its drawing users away from OT.

This

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#56 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

TV/Movies board.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

It should all remain in OT, this board can use any activity that it can get, if we split it up it will become even more deserted.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@turtlethetaffer:

You are not the only person asking recently about bringing back the retro game board. If you are serious about wanting it I suggest putting your name on the message that was posted by another user so staff can see there is still interest in a retro board.

Link

I would say that to any user here who wants to see the retro/legacy platform board make a come back. If enough people are interested then it shows the staff making the decisions that a retro board could be implemented with any potential changes to new board listings. That being said, I can not guarantee this, but it is worth a try.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127505 Posts

@Garfield360UK said:

@turtlethetaffer:

You are not the only person asking recently about bringing back the retro game board. If you are serious about wanting it I suggest putting your name on the message that was posted by another user so staff can see there is still interest in a retro board.

Link

I would say that to any user here who wants to see the retro/legacy platform board make a come back. If enough people are interested then it shows the staff making the decisions that a retro board could be implemented with any potential changes to new board listings. That being said, I can not guarantee this, but it is worth a try.

A board where we can discuss LylatWars 64(Star Fox 64)? Go into details about Peppy's life? That sounds fun and interesting!

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@horgen:

We can also discuss that shop keepers unreasonable charges on Animal Crossing and how awesome Ridge Racer Type 4 is, also how Codemasters should make a new TOCA game.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#61 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Garfield360UK said:

@turtlethetaffer:

Link

Awesome, thanks for providing the link. I will be sure to express my interest.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Someone mention an 'after dark gamespot board' before it was that board was removed, lets have that return

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Sweet, 65% now for no splitting of boards. That's what I also voted for.

I don't see the point of having separated boards for TV/Anime, seems like a bad idea.

Quite possible that GS is trying to make TV/Anime boards to try and revive TV.com, and from what I've seen, TV.com has certainly become dead enough where TV/anime discussions can't really be held there anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Bring back After Hours.

nikkycat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By nikkycat
Member since 2010 • 912 Posts

@horgen said:

@Garfield360UK said:

@turtlethetaffer:

Link

A board where we can discuss LylatWars 64(Star Fox 64)? Go into details about Peppy's life? That sounds fun and interesting!

Let's just leave out Slippy and pretend that ever happened. >.>

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

This isn't an option, but I'd like to see Legacy forums make a comeback.

Although it is not related to Off-Topic, I shall add that the Legacy forum was one of the best things GameSpot had going for it as far as quality of discussion.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#67  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

What I want to see make a comeback the most are unions. Then union boards for things like TV Shows can just be created by a regular user. Is there any chance of unions fully coming back?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#68 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

tv and movie board

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@davillain- said:

@GazaAli: The problem with that sticky is just an Anime recommendation thread and later, that ended up getting sticky. Maybe GS should change it to Anime/Manga discussion of all types of Anime would be nice unless GS wants to delete the post and start all over again.

How many active OTers are ardent anime enthusiasts ? A dozen? You don't dedicate an entire forum for the niche interest of a dozen users, leaving it to their whims and at the mercy of the tempo of their lives. Besides this is a gaming website, not a discussion board; OT serves the legitimate purpose of accommodating for non-gaming discussions and it does it well.

But why are we ignoring the elephant in the room: OT suffers from traffic shortage and any further dispersion of traffic will pull the plug on it. You expand the field of your operations when you have activity in profusion; to do so while lamenting under-activity is moronic. I don't believe you were around when OT-After Hours, aka OTAH, was created. At the time OT was suffering from inactivity but not to the current degree. Even though the forum was dedicated for smut-and we all know the indestructible popularity of smut-it died, fast, and hurt OT traffic. With the exacerbation of OT's inactivity it would be suicidal to try that again-and we're not even talking about smut.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GazaAli

For instance, the topic has been up for more than 17 hours and we only got 44 votes. For whom are we making these new boards again?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56109 Posts

@iloveatlus said:

Someone mention an 'after dark gamespot board' before it was that board was removed, lets have that return

The way Korvus couldn't provide an answer to that question, I doubt it will ever comeback but I really want to see OT After Hours do make a turn.

@GazaAli said:

@davillain- said:

@GazaAli: The problem with that sticky is just an Anime recommendation thread and later, that ended up getting sticky. Maybe GS should change it to Anime/Manga discussion of all types of Anime would be nice unless GS wants to delete the post and start all over again.

How many active OTers are ardent anime enthusiasts ? A dozen? You don't dedicate an entire forum for the niche interest of a dozen users, leaving it to their whims and at the mercy of the tempo of their lives. Besides this is a gaming website, not a discussion board; OT serves the legitimate purpose of accommodating for non-gaming discussions and it does it well.

But why are we ignoring the elephant in the room: OT suffers from traffic shortage and any further dispersion of traffic will pull the plug on it. You expand the field of your operations when you have activity in profusion; to do so while lamenting under-activity is moronic. I don't believe you were around when OT-After Hours, aka OTAH, was created. At the time OT was suffering from inactivity but not to the current degree. Even though the forum was dedicated for smut-and we all know the indestructible popularity of smut-it died, fast, and hurt OT traffic. With the exacerbation of OT's inactivity it would be suicidal to try that again-and we're not even talking about smut.

I'm only pointing that the sticky should be rename to Anime/Manga just because we already have a sticky. The other rest of the boards are not needed.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GazaAli

@davillain- said:

I doubt it will ever comeback but I really want to see OT After Hours do make a turn.

Trust me, you don't; it was traumatizing.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#73 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@korvus said:

@brimmul777: That's not up for discussion at this time but I'll let the higher ups know that a few people were showing interest.

Thank You Sir. :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#74 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

This isn't an option, but I'd like to see Legacy forums make a comeback.

Although it is not related to Off-Topic, I shall add that the Legacy forum was one of the best things GameSpot had going for it as far as quality of discussion.

Yeah, it was one of the few boards where just about everyone there was civilized to each other too :P

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

General Sports name has been changed to Sports Bar. But that matters little; The fact that nobody ever visits the board remains unchanged.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Welp, I voted for the Movies/TV and Anime boards but I'm really thinking better about it. The sports board is already pretty barren, and I've seen plenty of sports threads here on OT. Might as well just keep it all in OT. If there's interest in a topic there will be thread made about them, but it's not like OT is filling with so many new threads each day that we need to categorise more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

UPDATE: I just got confirmation from the higher ups that OT After Hours is NOT going to return. Sorry to disappoint but that's that.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#78 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@korvus: Thank You for asking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@brimmul777: No problem; that's what I'm here for =)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56109 Posts

@korvus said:

UPDATE: I just got confirmation from the higher ups that OT After Hours is NOT going to return. Sorry to disappoint but that's that.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

@korvus said:

That is truly a shame. that place was fun.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#82  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

since no after hours, how about these rules:

• adult video content is allowed IF it's allowed on YouTube
  • all adult content threads have an adult disclaimed (like spoiler threads have SPOILERS and thread have those 56K warnings), maybe just head with NSFW or something
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@korvus said:

After Hours isn't sharia-compliant.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#84 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@korvus said:

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@GazaAli said:
@davillain- said:

I doubt it will ever comeback but I really want to see OT After Hours do make a turn.

Yeah, here's my take on that board: I don't really care all that much that its gone, it felt like one of those boards where it looked as though it started off pretty good, but went downhill quite fast. In the end, the board felt like it was kinda interesting but also felt too dirty and proved to be a bad idea, at the same time.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I can understand separate boards for TV/Movies and Anime/Magna, those kind of threads in OT don't really get a lot of attention.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#87  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

As for OTAH, I never cared for that board, other than the stickied thread where people would post pictures of hot girls. It just seemed to me that people went out of their way to make threads as sexually oriented as possible. The majority of the threads there were like that.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GazaAli

@Toph_Girl250 said:
@GazaAli said:
@davillain- said:

Yeah, here's my take on that board: I don't really care all that much that its gone, it felt like one of those boards where it looked as though it started off pretty good, but went downhill quite fast. In the end, the board felt like it was kinda interesting but also felt too dirty and proved to be a bad idea, at the same time.

That sums it up nicely. At first I said "I'll bite" and started dropping by every once in a while. Late on, however, it got weird; seeing some of the users talking about their fetishes and "tips" was surreal (points finger at themajormayor and fightingfan)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

OT is already in a coma, and you want to pull the plug by splitting it into more subforums?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#90 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@deeliman said:

It should all remain in OT, this board can use any activity that it can get, if we split it up it will become even more deserted.

I keep repeating this over and over and over when this subject is brought up.