• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emb4
Member since 2010 • 441 Posts

If you where out of shape/overweight, would you rather diet or exercise?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Diet. You have to do both though which is annoying. Waking up realising i didnt die is hard enough so there's no way i'm going for a jog.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

Ideally you need both, especially if you want better results that'll stay off. If I had to choose though, then probably dieting.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
exercise within limits you can better correct through exercise than diet (at least for what my goals are) ...I can burn enough calories, but no diet will build muscle mass like I want
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

If your primary goal is weight loss, then diet is the best... even making slight changes to your diet, like cutting out soda and drinking just water, will lead to weight loss...

If you want increased muscle mass, endurance and cardio-vascular strength, then exercise is the only way... dieting does nothing for those...

If the best way to lose weight? From what I've been told and from my research, major changes to your diet plus 1 hour of cardio(jogging, running, walking) is the best way to drop weight, but it won't get you ripped or anything...

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Exercise, just b.c I want to eat what I want to eat. Though I dont eat much to begin with, so yehh I really need to jog around or hit the gym right about now.

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

Exercise is better by a wide margin. Being in shape makes many tasks easier, while making me feel better through the day. Dieting just makes me give up foods I like.

Both are required to get into optimal shape, but I'd much rather workout intensely several times a week and maintain a loose diet over any other option.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Both are absolutely necessary if one wants to lose weight healthily.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Nutrition is the most important part of body building. That goes for both weight training and fat loss.

If you have really bad eating habits, then a diet won't help you. Dieting is temporary thing for people who are already have a preferred body, and just want to lose/gain a few pounds for the summer/event. If you want to get into shape and STAY in shape, then you have to change your eating habits permanently.

That means small portions
Lots of Proteins
Lots of water
no more than 2000 Calories a day.

...Forever

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
Both are absolutely necessary if one wants to lose weight healthily.foxhound_fox
Yep couldn't agree more.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Both But with enough excercise diet won't be so relevant. As long as you burn calories...
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts

You can't succeed in one without the other, unfortunately (well, except dieting, but where's the muscle?). I take more pleasure in working out.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Both. You can't just do one without the other. This is why I hate half of those women that go on diet plans and OMG its not working!!!! ugh!! And never heard them peep once about the gym
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
You need both...it is necessary.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Nutrition - affects your calorie intake and ultimately whether you lose or gain weight

Training - Tones you body and increases your metabolism so you burn more calories during normal body functions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

Working out is more important if you ask me. Dieting can sometimes be as easy as eating 2 bowls of pasta instead of 3... Pasta, mmm...

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

emb4

I would rather do both. Watch what I eat and exercise.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

exercise, but what I have learned is that I can't really get away with just one.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]exercise within limits you can better correct through exercise than diet (at least for what my goals are) ...I can burn enough calories, but no diet will build muscle mass like I want

Jesus Christ, your already as buff as they come...haha just saying. But I agree, diet is the real thing... But im doing both this coming week. Its gon be hell. Im ready :)
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I feel good after exercising. I just crave junk food after eating nothing but health food. >__>;
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#22 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I think I could do both... I can't gain weight because I'm always active and eating becomes a chore.
trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

I tried a few diets and it doesn't work for me like I wanted, it's usually just miserable. The only way I've been able to lose a substantial amount of weight (20+ lbs) is from exercise. When I did exercise on a regular basis I found myself eating less so I guess that provided me with a diet of sorts. I did not find myself exercising while dieting.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

I am out of shape, and I need to do both.

The irony is, though, that by working out and eating 2800 calories spread over 5 meals, I've lost 16 pounds as opposed to eating two meals and getting 2400 calories.

TopStarRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TopStarRacer
Member since 2010 • 5732 Posts

I prefer exercise over dieting because if one regularly exercised, dieting wouldn't be as important.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
ATM i prefer the exercise route
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]exercise within limits you can better correct through exercise than diet (at least for what my goals are) ...I can burn enough calories, but no diet will build muscle mass like I want

Concurred
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I terms of losing weight, Dieting/watching your calories is more important.

You can exorcise all you want, but without a balanced diet your ******

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

A combination of Exercise and a great diet is the best way...BUT Diet is more important.

I remember reading back in the day that your body's size is 60% diet, and 40% exercise...it was a rough estimate, but gives you an idea of how important a good healthy diet can be.

Of course, as Teens and younger, it's nice to have probably the best metabolism we will ever have for the rest of our lives. :P

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
if i have to choose one? working out. but obviously you need both or you arent going to see any results.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

emb4

exercise, far more fun that just starving yourself :P

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Exercising is extremely important; however it would seem taht it is equally important to cut out crappy foods which destroy your body sooooo

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Do both.
F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

emb4

It completely depends on your goals. But to be reasonably in shape you need both. Diet is about 70% of your results so if you want to be ripped or even toned you need a good combination of both..

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 F1ame_Shie1d

[QUOTE="emb4"]

DoomZaW

exercise, far more fun that just starving yourself :P

A diet is the opposite of starving yourself. It's actually easier to starve yourself with junk food. It cost about 10 times LESS to eat the same ammount of calories in healthy food. I eat much more then a almost all of my friends and my weight hasn't shifted from 180 since I started my workout. I have shaved quite a bit of fat off though:)

drokmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 drokmore
Member since 2005 • 1863 Posts
Exercise all the way. The more I exercise the more I can eat...
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Exercise. Get enough cardio exercise and you can eat whatever you want and still stay fit.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I am pretty torn on what to do myself. I wish I could be "one of those" but I just can't. How on earth can people give up yummy food, how can you resist the temptations. Instead they eat this dry mediocre food and not even full portions so while they eat that crap they also go hungry because they're never full.

And exercise? Damn, how can people after working 8+ hours just come home and spend two hours on tormenting their body, exercise does not feel good. Being exhausted and the whole body burning is not comfortable.

I don't understand how people do and that is why I'll never manage to lose weight even though I'm trying.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jimmyjammer69

I am pretty torn on what to do myself. I wish I could be "one of those" but I just can't. How on earth can people give up yummy food, how can you resist the temptations. Instead they eat this dry mediocre food and not even full portions so while they eat that crap they also go hungry because they're never full.

And exercise? Damn, how can people after working 8+ hours just come home and spend two hours on tormenting their body, exercise does not feel good. Being exhausted and the whole body burning is not comfortable.

I don't understand how people do and that is why I'll never manage to lose weight even though I'm trying.

xWoW_Rougex

Neither has to be that extreme that it becomes a chore; both changes are all about habituation.

For example, try reducing the sugar in your coffee from two teaspoons to one and you'll soon find that, although the first couple of times felt less pleasant, coffee with two teaspoonfuls now tastes over-sweetened and nasty. Likewise, once you start exercising regularly, you'll feel like you have more energy and you'll wonder how you got by without that extra kick of oxygen/adrenaline/endorphins in your day.

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 F1ame_Shie1d

xWoW_Rougex

It's not about giving up yummy foods. It's about find great tasting healthier alternatives. You also do NOT have to starve yourself.

breakfast-4-5 egg whites, 2 piece whole wheat toast

snack-Tuna/Peanut butter sandwich

lunch-Can of soup(low fat/sodium), non salted crackers

snack-Tuna/Peanut butter sandwich, Mixed nuts

1.5 hour workout

Protein smoothie(5 strawberries, 1 banana, 2 scoop vanilla whey-Yummy)

dinner-Fish, steak, chicken all with low sugar bbq sauces or pan fried or something with rice and veggies

Obviously I'm not starving. In fact I probably eat more then you do and I've LOST 5 pounds. The only thing above that makes me cringe even a little is whole wheat bread.

A couple little tricks.

Try to eat 5 small meals in a day rather then 3 big meals. This help your body digest the food much better.

Ease yourself into a workout. Even something as small as a half hour walk. Bike ride to work instead of driving(saves gas as added bonus)

I've been told it takes only 30 seconds a day of elevated heart rate to alter your metablism for the better. Speed walk around your block.

Yoga-It's soothing and brutal at the same time. Plus increased flexability, there is no downfalls to Yoga.

I can't speak for everyone here but it's just like you said. After 8 hours of work I'm really not looking forward to my workout. But I do it because I commited to it and I have to say every part of my life has gotten better as a result. I have MUCH more energy all the time, I sleep better and get sick less. During the workout I sometimes want to just give up but after I finish every workout I just have this calm feeling and, i dunno, it's hard to describe. I just feel better about everything, like a weight has been lifted(pun intended).

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 F1ame_Shie1d

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

jimmyjammer69

Neither has to be that extreme that it becomes a chore; both changes are all about habituation.

For example, try reducing the sugar in your coffee from two teaspoons to one and you'll soon find that, although the first couple of times felt less pleasant, coffee with two teaspoonfuls now tastes over-sweetened and nasty. Likewise, once you start exercising regularly, you'll feel like you have more energy and you'll wonder how you got by without that extra kick of oxygen/adrenaline/endorphins in your day.

SO true. Except I didn't drink coffee. I drank a 12 pack of pepsi every week... or more. I quit pop cold turkey at the beginning of the year and had one just recently. I couldn't make it through half a can.

Sad as it sound I actually went through withdrawls from pop. Say what you want, caffine is addicting as hell.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

F1ame_Shie1d

SO true. Except I didn't drink coffee. I drank a 12 pack of pepsi every week... or more. I quit pop cold turkey at the beginning of the year and had one just recently. I couldn't make it through half a can.

Sad as it sound I actually went through withdrawls from pop. Say what you want, caffine is addicting as hell.

Don't you be badmouthing mah coffee now; It's the sugar that's the problem, I tell ya.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I guess if I had to choose, I would pick working out, as my level of exercise informs my food choices.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I exercise and dont diet. I dont really eat that much though but I definitely don't eat healthy. I don't recommend this to people trying to lose weight though, I have a high metabolism and I cant get over 130 lbs and im 5'8.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I'd do both but I prefer to exercise.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I am out of shape, and I need to do both.

The irony is, though, that by working out and eating 2800 calories spread over 5 meals, I've lost 16 pounds as opposed to eating two meals and getting 2400 calories.

mrbojangles25
Eating more, smaller meals on its own boosts your metabolism, which in turn makes your body use more of the energy you put into it. Adding exercise into the mix just increases it even more. My biggest problem is that I eat too much in less sittings. But I am trying to change all of that, and am taking inspiration from Bruce Lee.  Not that I'll ever look like that (or would want to, lol) but knowing its possible, and the methods he used to obtain it (simple exercises he devoted himself to rather than complex schemes) make me know I can achieve similar results. That, and his entire philosophy just meshes with my views on everything. "Be like water my friend."
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SoBaus
Member since 2011 • 546 Posts

[QUOTE="F1ame_Shie1d"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Neither has to be that extreme that it becomes a chore; both changes are all about habituation.

jimmyjammer69

Don't you be badmouthing mah coffee now; It's the sugar that's the problem, I tell ya.

caffeine raises metabolism.... thats why most diet pills are loaded with caffiene.

SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SoBaus

i should say i was originally very fat, i dieted down to a very scrawny gross looking body type. Then i bulked up real hard for several years.

It all depends on your goals, but if you wanna look good it takes both.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
foxhound_fox
I don't know many people that would want to look like BL (if given the choice to look like anyone). That guy was f***ing tiny. ...now fight like him?...that is a different story
SoBaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SoBaus

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]rawsavon
I don't know many people that would want to look like BL (if given the choice to look like anyone). That guy was f***ing tiny. ...now fight like him?...that is a different story

If BL is bruce lee, then if professional combat sport told us anything, its that hes a weak woman.