Democracy- Really?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by seahorse123 (1228 posts) -

Are we really living in a democracy, or is it just a false sense of a democracy with the rich creaming the profits from the peasants (working class)? and the politicians being used as pawns in a game of money? since we all live in such a diverse country (UK and western society) with differences most people accept we still see rich and poor, powerful and weak.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14009 posts) -

So in a democracy rich people shouldn't exist?

#3 Posted by dave123321 (33624 posts) -

We are doing okay

#4 Posted by seahorse123 (1228 posts) -

The rich control the poor. Ever since money was invented.

#5 Posted by seahorse123 (1228 posts) -

We are doing okay

Yeah Okay, just enough to keep you happy and to make you think you are free.

#6 Posted by Master_Live (14009 posts) -

Exactly sea, but one day Communism will prevail and we shall be free.

#7 Posted by dave123321 (33624 posts) -

Let's just put all paychecks into one fund then evenly give it out to all

#8 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (831 posts) -

American democracy is fucked at a national level and has been for a while, but it still functions at a state level, so it can change if the people will put the money, time and effort into doing it.

#9 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

So in a democracy rich people shouldn't exist?

Well, in a true democracy money wouldn't have an effect on elections.

@seahorse123 said:

Exactly sea, but one day Communism will prevail and we shall be free.

Let's just put all paychecks into one fund then evenly give it out to all

Hooray for strawmen!

American democracy is fucked at a national level and has been for a while, but it still functions at a state level, so it can change if the people will put the money, time and effort into doing it.

Eh, depends on the state. Actually, most are pretty fucked on one issue or another. It also still takes a lot of money and influence to get into stat government, and you still run into a lot of the same problems as at the national level (e.g. the necessity for party affiliation). Also, if government is that far gone at a national level then local successes don't matter that much. We need a functioning federal government, at least if we want society to function as it does now.

#10 Edited by Master_Live (14009 posts) -

We need a small, agile, limited, functioning Federal government. But yeah, breaking the two party system has practically become necessary. Enough with the back and forth between parties that are shades of the same color.

#11 Posted by thegerg (14678 posts) -

Even since before that.

#12 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

We need a small, agile, limited, functioning Federal government. But yeah, breaking the two party system has practically become necessary. Enough with the back and forth between parties that are shades of the same color.

The scope of federal government is proportional to the scope of the national economy and the population. The larger, more complex, and farther reaching large businesses get the more we need a farther-reaching government. It's not like these businesses disagree with that, either, they simply want government to reach when it benefits them and be as small as necessary when it impedes them. If you want a smaller federal government start by working to shrink the scale of the national economy, if you want a larger federal government then keep supporting trans-national, globalized corporations who affect the country and the world in ways beyond the control of local governments.

As to the parties, in some ways they're similar, and in other respects they're not. They're both business-friendly or they wouldn't get into office and they're both concerned with maintaining the status quo to some degree. That doesn't mean they're carbon-copies, however, and it doesn't mean that voting one or the other into power won't have a noticeable difference on policy and the course of the country. All it means is that you're not going to get either the libertarian ideal or the left-wing ideal by voting for the Republicans or Democrats respectively.

#13 Posted by dave123321 (33624 posts) -

You people should change avatars

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (87369 posts) -

A democracy isn't a communist state.

#15 Posted by dave123321 (33624 posts) -
#16 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

A democracy isn't a communist state.

A society with a smaller wealth gap and a political system that doesn't require a good deal of wealth for participation isn't the same thing as a communist state.

#17 Edited by dave123321 (33624 posts) -

See the one gets it

#18 Posted by dave123321 (33624 posts) -

I like to mock master live

#19 Posted by plageus900 (969 posts) -

There are always going to be rich people. There are always going to be poor people. There will always be the strong and the weak.

#20 Posted by dave123321 (33624 posts) -

@plageus900: that doesn't mean we can't fix some real issues regarding the gap

#21 Posted by Serraph105 (27740 posts) -

Democracy is overrated anyways. I'd much rather dedicate my loyalty to rich overlords who let me barely scrape by while they are able to do whatever the hell they want to me without repercussion.

#22 Posted by plageus900 (969 posts) -

@plageus900: that doesn't mean we can't fix some real issues regarding the gap

I agree that there are some real issues that exist. But there is another factor to consider. There are people willing to go that extra mile to earn that cash. Then there are people who just want to work at McDonalds and Wal-Mart and bitch about it.

#23 Posted by gamerguru100 (10461 posts) -

I wish we lived in a world where rich and poor didn't exist. But instead we live in a world where the top 85 richest people have the equivalent amount of money as the poorest 50% of the population (3.5 billion people). Our species is beyond fucked up. Spread the fucking wealth, shitheads.

#24 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3751 posts) -

I remember when I was an angsty teenager