Define "Evil" to me in one sentence

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

As a gamer you probably have played games that are about good facing evil and those stuff. So I thought a gamer may have a better understanding of what evil means... Tell me your ideas please.

tiopuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tiopuit
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts

Evil is nothing inherent, moreover it really depends on perception. Osama may have been "evil" to us but to others he was a hero. Evil is nonexistant, if anything we could call it Human Nature. We all have the potential to be evil, it just depends on who's looking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Evil is Bert from Sesame Street.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

sonicare

hrmbert.jpg.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
A subjective term that arose as a result of humans becoming social animals. To me, the best/broad way to describe evil is anything that infringes on other peoples' rights.
Opi0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Opi0us
Member since 2013 • 172 Posts

Complete disregard for human rights and dignity, cruel. 

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Dracula
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
Lonelynight
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
No such thing....
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alim298

DraculaKiIIyou
Lords of shadow 2 is going to change your mind.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

solidruss

hrmbert.jpg.

Bert 2strong.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I can do it in one word:

Bronies.

-Byshop

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Evil applied to a being, is one who intends harm among others for no good reason whatsoever.  I do not define evil as someone who has killed someone.  self denefense and necessary violence are one thing.  With that said, violence is not the only type of evil.  There are people who are purely evil at heart and say things and do things that do not inflict physical pain on anyone, but their intentions are bad.  Plenty of people I know I would actualy classify as at least having evil in them.  

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

LonelynightChicken453

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I hate the term and I really wish people would stop using it.  Evil means inherently bad and malicious, and I really don't think that exists, especially in humans. There are humans who are malicious or mentally unbalanced or coldly apathetic to suffering or a combination, but they're not evil.  That describes sociopathic behavior more than anything, and people aren't just born sociopaths.  The term really comes from religious usage that assumes an intrinsic force of good and therefore evil in the world.  It's superstitious talk, plain and simple, and words like sociopath are more accurate and less emotional.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife

Evil is nothing inherent, moreover it really depends on perception. Osama may have been "evil" to us but to others he was a hero. Evil is nonexistant, if anything we could call it Human Nature. We all have the potential to be evil, it just depends on who's looking.

tiopuit

Evil is evil.  some people think suicide bombing innocent people is justice and rewarded, but that is just nonsense and evil.  Some people think killing nonbelievers in god is good and helping humanity, but again, it is not, it is evil.  People who have any unjust hatred in their hearts, be it racism, or anything of the such.  

It disgusts me to hear some guys I know talk about their relationships or take on girls, kids, and other things.  one guy is so frikkin insensitive to things on the news that it makes me want to punch him in the face.  now that is not evil of me, just dealing out justice ;).  

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Michelle Bachmann.
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alim298

I hate the term and I really wish people would stop using it.  Evil means inherently bad and malicious, and I really don't think that exists, especially in humans. There are humans who are malicious or mentally unbalanced or coldly apathetic to suffering or a combination, but they're not evil.  That describes sociopathic behavior more than anything, and people aren't just born sociopaths.  The term really comes from religious usage that assumes an intrinsic force of good and therefore evil in the world.  It's superstitious talk, plain and simple, and words like sociopath are more accurate and less emotional.

theone86

But wouldn't you call what they do evil doings and therefore call them evil doers?

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
Evil is the absence of good
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="theone86"]

alim298

But wouldn't you call what they do evil doings and therefore call them evil doers?

How can he not think that evil exists in humans?  evil exists in a lot of humans, and there are plenty that are purely evil.  You cannot tell me that mass murderers (of innocents and such) are not evil.  Or that people who rape, abuse, and murder women are not evil.  

maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
The absence of God.
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 alim298

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

NaveedLife

How can he not think that evil exists in humans?  evil exists in a lot of humans, and there are plenty that are purely evil.  You cannot tell me that mass murderers (of innocents and such) are not evil.  Or that people who rape, abuse, and murder women are not evil.  

I agree that no human is entirely evil. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Every human has the capacity to do evil because we all have knowledge of what is evil.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Best song ever!

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alim298

Every human has the capacity to do evil because we all have knowledge of what is evil.playmynutz
Are you talking about morality and that god has be stow us the knowledge of good and evil?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

alim298

No, why would I?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 theone86

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

NaveedLife

So you're just assuming the validity of your own point of view and then criticizing opposing arguments based on their not showing said assumed validity?  Yeah, real solid logic you got there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Every human has the capacity to do evil because we all have knowledge of what is evil.alim298

Are you talking about morality and that god has be stow us the knowledge of good and evil?

Talking psychology people have a selfish sub concious desire (Ids & super Ids). Anything truly selfish is evil, like an earlier post someone said evil is anything that infringes on another persons natural rights. Babies and toddlers are selfish but also can make a rational good decision like show affection to the mother etc.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Every human has the capacity to do evil because we all have knowledge of what is evil.playmynutz
Evil is a relative term just the same as good. One man's evil isn't necessarily another man's. Objective morality would have to exist, it doesn't.
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alim298

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Every human has the capacity to do evil because we all have knowledge of what is evil.playmynutz

Talking psychology people have a selfish sub concious desire (Ids & super Ids). Anything truly selfish is evil, like an earlier post someone said evil is anything that infringes on another persons natural rights. Babies and toddlers are selfish but also can make a rational good decision like show affection to the mother etc.

So based on your sayings how will you define evil?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

[QUOTE="playmynutz"][QUOTE="alim298"] Are you talking about morality and that god has be stow us the knowledge of good and evil?

alim298

Evil itself is a selfish act. I cannot think of an evil act that doesn't involve someone reaping selfish benefits.
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alim298

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="playmynutz"] Talking psychology people have a selfish sub concious desire (Ids & super Ids). Anything truly selfish is evil, like an earlier post someone said evil is anything that infringes on another persons natural rights. Babies and toddlers are selfish but also can make a rational good decision like show affection to the mother etc.playmynutz

Evil itself is a selfish act. I cannot think of an evil act that doesn't involve someone reaping selfish benefits.

That way many religious people who wanted to see their enemies dead because of religion will not be included. In fact who ever that does wrong because of ignorance would not be included. Is that ok with you?

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

The absence of God. maheo30

The presence of religion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 alim298

[QUOTE="maheo30"]The absence of God. Squeets

The presence of religion.

That's cruel...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

[QUOTE="playmynutz"][QUOTE="alim298"] So based on your sayings how will you define evil?

alim298

That way many religious people who wanted to see their enemies dead because of religion will not be included. In fact who ever that does wrong because of ignorance would not be included. Is that ok with you?

I'm about family, trust, and avoid evil acting people. I don't care what religion it is, if they kill one of my family I will view that single person as evil, not the whole religion. People cry wolf they are part of a religion and never practice it. Ignorant by definition is someone that knows good but acts stupid by "ignoring" the good. Ignorant people are self aware of their ignorant actions so that is selfish and evil.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
perception.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="alim298"]  But wouldn't you call what they do evil doings and therefore call them evil doers?

theone86

So you're just assuming the validity of your own point of view and then criticizing opposing arguments based on their not showing said assumed validity?  Yeah, real solid logic you got there.

it is common sense, you dont need to think so hard about it. 

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
To cause others to suffer for ones own selfish gains is evil, I'd say.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

The term common sense has taken on a whole new meaning, in this sense it's not real.  It's basically just assuming the validity of your own viewpoint and labelling it common sense as a way to appeal to the authority of the term, in other words the exact thing I just accused you of in the previous post.  You're really not helping your case.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]So you're just assuming the validity of your own point of view and then criticizing opposing arguments based on their not showing said assumed validity?  Yeah, real solid logic you got there.

theone86

The term common sense has taken on a whole new meaning, in this sense it's not real.  It's basically just assuming the validity of your own viewpoint and labelling it common sense as a way to appeal to the authority of the term, in other words the exact thing I just accused you of in the previous post.  You're really not helping your case.

Can you do me a favor and specify what you think is wrong with my origonal post?  

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Evil is that which contradicts life qua man.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Laihendi

[QUOTE="theone86"]

alim298

No he would not, because he is an apologist for murderers and terrorists.

No, why would I?

theone86
I was right.
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

evil to me is best described as action with intent and outcome of harm to others which only benefits one's personal agenda and consciously disregards the interests of anyone else. i therefor disagree that evil is a matter of perspective or a relative term. evil is just over used to simplify more complex behaviour going on in day to day life because it's easier to just label something good, bad or an exaggeration of bad such as evil. i think anyone is capable of evil acts but i don't think there are people that are truly evil like we see in games or other fiction.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Can you do me a favor and specify what you think is wrong with my origonal post?  

You simply state that evil exists, and when you're contradicted all you do is say it's common sense.  You're not making a coherent argument, you're simply stating a proposition that you think is valid and then appealing to that validity, even though you haven't proven its validity yet.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 theone86

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Laihendi

How's that autism coming?  Have you cured it through rational thinking yet?

[spoiler] shithead [/spoiler]

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Destructive behaviour, either to self or others.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="alim298"]  But wouldn't you call what they do evil doings and therefore call them evil doers?

theone86

Crude personal attacks that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed are about what I expected from you. You did not disappoint, but that is only because of how low you have set the bar for yourself.

Anyways you should not be offended about being called an apologist for murderers and terrorists considering that you have been defending them throughout this thread, from your very first post in it.

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

God damn, Lai's black and white worldview is tremendous.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] No he would not, because he is an apologist for murderers and terrorists.

Laihendi

Crude personal attacks that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed are about what I expected from you. You did not disappoint, but that is only because of how low you have set the bar for yourself.

Anyways you should not be offended about being called an apologist for murderers and terrorists considering that you have been defending them throughout this thread, from your very first post in it.

Oh, like accusing someone of being an apologist for murderers, that's not a crude personal attack?  If you want to be an insufferable fvck then fine, everyone's used to it, just don't turn around and act all self-righteous when you actually get called on it.