Cover songs, sometimes better than the originals?

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts

Have you ever listened to a beautiful song and found out it was actually a cover? I have, and to be honest, sometimes the cover is just better. Here are a few of mine:

Queens of the Stone Age- Christian Brothers (Elliot Smith original)

Johnny Cash- Hurt (Nine Inch Nails original)

Jeff Buckley- Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen original)

What are yours?

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
NINs Hurt is so much better.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Jeff Healey's cover of Geroge Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

May he rest in peace.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
I love Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of "Higher Ground", originally by Stevie Wonder.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

NINs Hurt is so much better.DrSponge

I disagree, their version sucked. Trent's voice ruins the song and Cash's acousitic sounds much better than the NIN instrumentals in the song.

I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 I_pWnzz_YoU
J.C just gave it way more meaning, the lyrics actually represent his life.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrSponge

[QUOTE="DrSponge"]NINs Hurt is so much better.Film-Guy

I disagree, their version sucked. Trent's voice ruins the song and Cash's acousitic sounds much better than the NIN instrumentals in the song.

B-...blasphemy :shock: I don't even know what to say :shock:
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I have a few that come to mind:

Toto - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (originally by the Beatles)

Aerosmith - Train Kept a Rollin' (originally by Tiny Bradshaw)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (originally by Bob Dylan)

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (originally by Jimi Hendrix)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GabuEx

Jeff Healey's cover of Geroge Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

May he rest in peace.foxhound_fox

Holy crap, I never knew Jeff Healey did a cover of that song. I love Jeff Healey's stuff so much; that's an awesome find.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It."
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Yep.

Not much to say here.

NIN just did it better.

Not that Johnny Cash's cover was BAD or anything, but it wasn't even a pimple on the ass of the original song.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
Angra's version of Wuthering Heights, (originaly by Kate Bush)
AIDA_Morganna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 AIDA_Morganna
Member since 2009 • 283 Posts

Brand New Love - Deadsy (originally done by Superchunk)

Gin and Juice - Garth Brooks, Tim Mcgraw, and Kenny Chesney (originally done by Snoop Dog) hahahahaha

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I do not agree with the Christian Brothers being better than the original. No way in hell.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sAndroid17
Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It."Bioshockraptor
Oh god, i think i just vomited in my mouth a little:S
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Bioshockraptor"]Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It."sAndroid17

I actually liked the solo in that version more than the one in the original, but that was John Mayer, not Fall Out Boy. :P

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

[QUOTE="DrSponge"]NINs Hurt is so much better.MrGeezer

Yep.

Not much to say here.

NIN just did it better.

Not that Johnny Cash's cover was BAD or anything, but it wasn't even a pimple on the ass of the original song.

Agreed. NIN's version was better. (didnt we even have a massive thread on it?)

Angra's version of Wuthering Heights, (originaly by Kate Bush)sAndroid17
I practically loathe the song after I had to endure an hour of it while driving with my bro.

I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 I_pWnzz_YoU
I do not agree with the Christian Brothers being better than the original. No way in hell.AAllxxjjnn
I just felt that QOTSA's version was smoother in terms of guitar and vocals.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I do not agree with the Christian Brothers being better than the original. No way in hell.I_pWnzz_YoU

Sorry, my comment came off as a little hostile, not enough sleep and pissed about some stuff.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_pWnzz_YoU
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="DrSponge"]NINs Hurt is so much better.freek666

Yep.

Not much to say here.

NIN just did it better.

Agreed. NIN's version was better. (didnt we even have a massive thread on it?)

I don't know but you just gave me a great idea ;)

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
[QUOTE="Bioshockraptor"]Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It."sAndroid17

Yeah, okay, I'm not saying Fall Out Boy is better then M. Jackson, I'm only saying my opinion that I like FOB's cover better than the orig. :|
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="DrSponge"]NINs Hurt is so much better.Film-Guy

I disagree.

Tent Reznor sounded like Trent Reznor, and the instrumentals worked.

Johnny Cash did a straight and actually lazy cover, and all he did was sound like Johnny Cash and play the same instruments that he always does.

I'm not saying that the Johnny Cash cover was BAD. It was just a standard and lazy cover that didn't really do ANYTHING to take the material to new heights. Johnny Cash didn't actually ADD anything. He merely subtracted Trent Reznor's pained vocals, and subtracted all of the other instrumentals that contributed to the mood.

Bottom line is this...it sounds exactly like a goddamn cover song done by Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash didn't really ADD anything to the song. All he did was make a lazystraightforward cover that was simplified to fit hs style of music, and what he took away was exactly the stuff that he couldn't do.

He surely SIMPLIFIED the song, and he made it work for him. But in simplifying it, he lost the goddamn CONTEXT of the original song. If he were to remake the entire album "The Downward Spiral", and then the cover of "hurt" was the final end to that cover album, THEN I might be impressed. But The Downward Spiral is more than the sum of its parts, and by picking out one single song to cover you lose a HELL of a lot of the context. Every song on that album is stage of life on a person's road to ruin, and NIN did that PERFECTLY the first time.

And that's why NIN ultimately wins. Originally, "Hurt" was the PERFECT ending to such an album and relied on all of the previous songs. "The Downward Spiral" is NOT an album in which the songs are independent of each other. You take the songs as individual song and you lose the impact of the goddamn album.

But that's what Johnny Cash did. He took the last song from "The Downward Spiral" and did a lazy and straightforward cover that was limited by Johnny Cash's sonic prowess. All context was removed, and it ends up becoming "just another cover".

So in that regard, I still think that Trentm Reznor did it better.

I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 I_pWnzz_YoU
[QUOTE="I_pWnzz_YoU"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]I do not agree with the Christian Brothers being better than the original. No way in hell.AAllxxjjnn

Sorry, my comment came off as a little hostile, not enough sleep and pissed about some stuff.

Thats alright, I should get to bed soon as well :P I still do like the original, came across this song on Youtube and have been listening to it over and over (the cover that is :cry: )
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freek666
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

I disagree.

Johnny Cash did a straight and actually lazy cover, and all he did was sound like Johnny Cash and play the same instruments that he always does.

I'm not saying that the Johnny Cash cover was BAD. It was just a standard and lazy cover that didn't really do ANYTHING to take the material to new heights. Johnny Cash didn't actually ADD anything. He merely subtracted Trent Reznor's pained vocals, and subtracted all of the other instrumentals that contributed to the mood.

Bottom line is this...it sounds exactly like a goddamn cover song done by Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash didn't really ADD anything to the song. All he did was make a lazystraightforward cover that was simplified to fit hs style of music, and what he took away was exactly the stuff that he couldn't do.

He surely SIMPLIFIED the song, and he made it work for him. But in simplifying it, he lost the goddamn CONTEXT of the original song. If he were to remake the entire album "The Downward Spiral", and then the cover of "hurt" was the final end to that cover album, THEN I might be impressed. But The Downward Spiral is more than the sum of its parts, and by picking out one single song to cover you lose a HELL of a lot of the context. Every song on that album is stage of life on a person's road to ruin, and NIN did that PERFECTLY the first time.

And that's why NIN ultimately wins. Originally, "Hurt" was the PERFECT ending to such an album and relied on all of the previous songs. "The Downward Spiral" is NOT an album in which the songs are independent of each other. You take the songs as individual song and you lose the impact of the goddamn album.

But that's what Johnny Cash did. He took the last song from "The Downward Spiral" and did a lazy and straightforward cover that was limited by Johnny Cash's sonic prowess. All context was removed, and it ends up becoming "just another cover".

Firstly, I lol'd at "Tent Reznor"

Secondly, well put. Can't add anymore to it.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sAndroid17
.[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]Angra's version of Wuthering Heights, (originaly by Kate Bush)freek666
I practically loathe the song after I had to endure an hour of it while driving with my bro.

i died a little inside just then :cry:
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DrSponge
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

I disagree.

My thoughts exactly :D
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

Megadeth's cover of I Ain't Superstitious

Megadeth's cover of These Boots

Sodom's cover of Surfin Bird

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freek666

Juggernaut140

I never liked Megadeths covers. I'd be listening to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and I would get to I Ain't Superstitious and just skip it to get to My Last Words.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

DrSponge

I disagree.

My thoughts exactly :D

Yeah, I think the original version of HURT is way better than the cover. And I really like Johny Cash. His cover of the song was novel, but not as good as the original.

On another note, I'm a huge fan of Eliott Smith. And I like QotSA a lot...I don't necessarily think their cover was better, but they did do a really good job.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Juggernaut140
[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]

freek666

I never liked Megadeths covers. I'd be listening to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and I would get to I Ain't Superstitious and just skip it to get to My Last Words.

Dude, that's like my favorite song :?
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freek666
[QUOTE="freek666"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]

Juggernaut140

Eh, I just never liked the covers, especially No More Mr. Nice Guy.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sAndroid17

Lord's cover of "On a night like this" (by Kylie Minogue) < one of the best covers ever:P

Vision Divine's cover of "Eagle fly Free" (by Helloween)

Vision Divine's cover of "The Final Countdown" (by Europe)

and there is one more but i cant remember the name, or the song:P

but its crazy good!

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Juggernaut140
[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="freek666"]

freek666

What about Never Say Die? :o
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freek666
[QUOTE="freek666"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"] Dude, that's like my favorite song :?Juggernaut140

What about Never Say Die? :o

I prefer the Sabbath version >________>
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

Some covers seem to improve on the originals but not most of the time.

One song which has been covered by so many is the song, House of the Rising Sun.

The first official rock version was Bob Dylan's who also claimed writer's credit on the song even though the original was probably sung during the early 1930's as a folk song. Hendrix has covered it. Josh White and Nina Simone has done their version but the one and only definitive version of this song has to be by early 60's British blues-rock band The Animals.

House of the Rising Sun

AIDA_Morganna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 AIDA_Morganna
Member since 2009 • 283 Posts
Xavier Rudd - No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley Cover)
N0han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 N0han
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

Good topic, guys you should try out this song:

Milow - Ayo Technology

Its a cover (own improvisation) on Ayo Technology from 50 cent. I really like it.

BeepBoop16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BeepBoop16
Member since 2008 • 562 Posts
Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest cover)
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sAndroid17
Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest cover)BeepBoop16
awesom cover! but i dont hink its better than the original!
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts

huge list right here of pretty much any song i can think of

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_coversongs.html

two of my favorite covers are megadeth's versions of these boots ( nancy sinatra ) and i aint supersticious.

funniest cover is sodom's cover of surfin' bird

EDIT : dam freak we are soo similar.. my last words = exstacy.. anybody play? anybody? ...

ALSO freak you havn't used WHAT since u first got on.. it makes me cry with sad. put it to good use :(

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Nirvana's 'The Man Who Sold the World' is btter than Bowies, but only because it doesn't have that annoying winding clock sound.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nimatoad2000
overkill's cover of tyrant by priest is very good , on the coverkill album i think iced earth does maiden's transylvania better on their album horror show just because of the fact that Iron maiden the album had just bad production. ( was it IM or killers? im too lazy to check ) sepultura's orgasmatron is ok but no one does it like lemmy. metallica's Am i evil is bttr than diamond head hands down megadeth's version of paranoid is way bttr than sabbath, dont flame me, the dual guitar attack, the increased speed and mustaines sarcastic voice over ozzy make it killer IMO green manalishi with the two prong crown, - priests version kills the fleetwood mac guys slayer's dissident agressor is as good if not better than priests ( south of heaven and sin after sin albums ) , it was more to the point and agressive, i think halford overkilled the high pitch vocals on the priest version, and i personally love his high pitched stuff, stained class anybody?
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freek666

huge list right here of pretty much any song i can think of

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_coversongs.html

two of my favorite covers are megadeth's versions of these boots ( nancy sinatra ) and i aint supersticious.

funniest cover is sodom's cover of surfin' bird

EDIT : dam freak we are soo similar.. my last words = exstacy.. anybody play? anybody? ...

ALSO freak you havn't used WHAT since u first got on.. it makes me cry with sad. put it to good use :(

nimatoad2000

Dayum, forgot all about that. I favourited it but it must be down the bottom of the list. How long have I got this for, like a month or something?

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nimatoad2000
freak 613 - joined 5 days 5 hours ago, last seen 5 days 4 hours ago.. WHAT is a way of life man, A WAY OF LIFE. also theirs hella metalheads on the IRC... ( soo many ppl are prop wondering what im talking about)
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 freek666
metallica's Am i evil is bttr than diamond head hands downnimatoad2000
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa. Am I reading that correctly? Better? What? I've always considered the cover to be fairly crappy. Everything about it, from the guitar to the bass to the vocals to the drums, I found inferior to the original.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
That Alien Ant Farm cover of Annie are you Okay or whatever it was called was better then the Michael Jackson original.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nimatoad2000

idno man the orig is kind of a NWOBHM sound, and metallica thrashed it up a bit farther. i like diamond heads vocals better, but the punch of the guitars and production of metallicas version is superior. i find the actual playing almost the same except as i said the 'tallica version just sounds more powerful and better. kirk hampster actually dosn't dissapoint here. also the mercyful fate medley is pretty good, tho i absolutely prefer the actual fate songs, kind diamond 4 lyfe. all hail the kind. also freak i just finished watching get thrashed, have u seen it? it was pretty good.. except when it got to the nu metal part at the the end i cried cuz everyone was like " downflall of thrash" and then they showed limp biscut and nirvana ( before that ) and i was like WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

EDIT : of course the bass is going to be bad, this is metallica, the most basshating band of all time.. poor jason , you got to turn your EQ bass to max just to hear the faintest resemblance of a bassline.. listen to the mercyful fate medley, i forgot which fate song it is but theirs a part where the guitars stop and theirs a steve harris kind of gallop with the drums and the guitar does like a single not every few seconds, that part is awesome for the real mercyful fate song ( i think its evil but i could be wrong ) and on the metallica medley it sounds soo bad like jason is soo quiet.

metallica had, i think its safe to say the best thrash metal bass player ( thrash cuz steve harris is bttr) and even on KEA u gotta listen close for him, on RTL he is distinct in only a few songs, bell tolls anc cthulu of course, but the others u gotta listen, same with MOP minus orion. and poor jason man he was rly a smart guy, i mean his work in flotsam and voivod is pretty boss and they just kiled the guy, i think they kept him around just to harrass him as a way to recover from cliff's death, if they didnt need him for soothing purposes, they might as well have not had a bass player, i mean bass was soo much unimportant to them that they had that fool bob rock play bass on st anger lol.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nimatoad2000

^ read above edit + do you think i should put this patch on my jacket freak, or will i get ownd by a group of people who would find it offensive ?

http://www.oneposter.com/patches/slayer/slayer-slaytanic_14223.html

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

^ read above edit + do you think i should put this patch on my jacket freak, or will i get ownd by a group of people who would find it offensive ?

http://www.oneposter.com/patches/slayer/slayer-slaytanic_14223.html

i have a far more "offensive" patch on my jacket :P
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freek666
I've heard of it, and a friend might own it, but I dont know. Gonna have to check up on that. Also, sweet patch, but I'd say it'd be smart not to wear it to a barmitvah ;)