Changing the name of a website

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

So what should I do if I want the "wiki" part of a website's name omitted? I have no rights to the website but I find the term "wiki" to be misleading. The website has no ties to wikipedia or wikimedia. It is a wiki in terms of being editable and stuff but since these days wiki usually refers to unbiased sites that provide you with all you need to know regarding your subjects of interest I find the wiki part of the website's name to be acting only as an attraction to it's biased articles. Basically the site I'm talking about is biased and one based on very weak sources and materials. So what should I do and what are my chances? I recon my chances are slim because the literal meaning of the word "wiki" is coherent to what the website actually is.

And yes. I'm serious about this.

And yes I may soon consult a lawyer regarding this. Just wanted to know your opinions and advises before doing so.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I don't understand, are you somehow attached to this website? Do you run it or contribute to it?

Or are you just mad that a "biased" has the word wiki on its url and want to somehow force it to change it?

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alim298

@Master_Live said:

I don't understand, are you somehow attached to this website? Do you run it or contribute to it?

Or are you just mad that a "biased" has the word wiki on its url and want to somehow force it to change it?

The second one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

This is the definition of wiki "a website or database developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content." It doesn't need to be accurate to be considered a wiki.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alim298

@korvus: But say the website has some competitor websites. Those websites offer unbiased information but either they're not actual wikis or that they don't have the name wiki in their url. I mean when I try to search something about say Naruto I type "Naruto wiki ..." because I think a wiki could be the most reliable source other than the actual creators. I'm sure a lot of people do the same as I do hence the wikis' popularity. Shouldn't a wiki be purely objective and not subjective then? I mean shouldn't there only be information not opinions?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

there's no word "wiki" in conservapedia.com

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@alim298: In that case it's a shame that the good websites didn't think of adding wiki to their names before the crappy one did. It's not against the law to have a shitty website, though =P

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alim298

@korvus said:

@alim298: In that case it's a shame that the good websites didn't think of adding wiki to their names before the crappy one did. It's not against the law to have a shitty website, though =P

Ah well I guess it was worth a try. Thanks though :) I may still visit a lawyer about this or just try to make our own site more popular somehow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@alim298: I wouldn't stress about it, to be honest. I admit that when I want information about a game/tv show I search the wikis first but if they turn out to be crappy I'll use something else. Now I probably won't be visiting websites on page 8 of Google results but normally if it's in the first page or 2 it likely to get people to look at it, especially if the results above it suck. Shouldn't be too terribly hard to show up at Google front page results. I normally manage to get my websites on first 3 or 4 results with a simple sitemap that I send to Google (or just ask google to crawl my website). Then if I really want it as first result I just follow google's coding guidelines for meta data and so on. Hasn't failed yet.