CBO: Minimum Wage Raise to Cost 500,000 Jobs, Boost Income.

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

CBO: Wage hike to cost 500K jobs

From the article:

President Obama’s proposal to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour would cost 500,000 jobs in 2016, according to a report released Tuesday by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. The report also found hiking the wage from $7.25 per hour would raise income for about 16.5 million workers by $31 billion, potentially pulling nearly 1 million people out of poverty.

The White House and economic groups on the left immediately pushed back at the CBO’s conclusions on jobs even as they hailed the findings on poverty, saying its conclusions on jobs ran counter to other research. “Sometimes you have to have a respectful disagreement among economists,” Furman said in a conference call. “I think a lot of economists who have looked at [the] literature would summarize it differently than CBO has done here.”

The office of Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) was quick to seize on the CBO finding, arguing it shows Republicans are right that the proposal would hurt the economy. “This report confirms what we’ve long known: while helping some, mandating higher wages has real costs, including fewer people working. With unemployment Americans’ top concern, our focus should be creating — not destroying — jobs for those who need them most,” said spokesman Brendan Buck.

Senate GOP conference Chairman John Thune (R-S.D.) noted that the CBO estimated the upper range of job losses from hiking the minimum wage to $10.10 was 1 million jobs. “Despite the fact that unemployment is Americans’ top concern, Democrats continue their insatiable quest to pass heavy-handed government policies that are costing jobs,” he said.

“The CBO report illustrates what small businesses have long contended — increasing the minimum wage costs jobs,” said National Federation of Independent Business spokesman Eric Reller. “Coming on the heels of rising health care costs, higher taxes, and increased regulations — this is another example of Washington piling on to small business.”

The liberal group Americans United for Change, meanwhile, blasted the findings, releasing a YouTube video that depicted the CBO’s conclusions as being from outer space. AFL-CIO union President Richard Trumka dismissed the CBO finding as “noise.” “Every time momentum builds for lifting wages, conservative ideologues say it will cost jobs,” he said. “Let’s raise the wage and we’ll prove the CBO wrong again.”

-------------------------------------------------------

Gotta love the leave the gun, take the cannoli attitude from the lefties.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts

Cool cool cooooooooool

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Really do not want a minimum wage increase. Will freaking MURDER people in my wage area who DO make above minimum wage, will be settled just above the raised minimum wage, yet will have to pay more for everything....

There has to be a better way to get more money into the hands of those who need it than raising minimum wage and fucking everyone else over...

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

Minimum wage should be scrapped. We should let the market decide the value of a person's efforts.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Minimum wage should be scrapped. We should let the market decide the value of a person's efforts.

Stupid idea. Homelessness would skyrocket.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Meh, can't make everyone happy. The majority of Americans can't live a proper life style with the current minimum wage. The few that actually can barley make it each month.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

So we trust the CBO now?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

So potentially the raise could cost 500,000 to 1,000,000 jobs and help about 1 million people escape poverty and 16.5 million people could make more money.

The question then is do the positive effects outweigh the negative or vice versa (and which effects are more likely)?

Or perhaps we should do something in the middle: raise the minimum wage but not that big of a jump (almost $3 an hour). Maybe increase the minimum wage to $8 or $8.50 an hour.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

even $10.10 sucks

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@mrintro: Agreed. It should be $110.10. :P

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

In a pure capitalistic economy in which the capitalists continue to achieve efficiency and utilizing technological innovation, it is to be expected that wages will inevitably be driven to the level of means of subsistence of the workers so this is a terrible idea. I can't see this benefiting anyone but moneyed men.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I doubt raising the minimum wage would do anything to the economy at large and I highly doubt it is in the actual interest of the working class. At the very least it needs to be coupled with other measures, like higher taxes on the super rich and better workers' rights overall, otherwise this wage increase would be quite meaningless and deceptive. A higher minimum wage alone would only sort of divert some resources from some people's pockets to others' so effectively the amount of capital owned by the workers hasn't changed. Even if such an increase in wages would to come from the pockets of those who can actually afford it and to an extent owe it to the economy, the super rich, they will be able to go around this by either cutting jobs or increasing prices to balance things out. As long as the amount of capital shared between the working class is the same, and as long as the capitalists can find a way to cheat the system or maintain a preferable and expedient economic status quo, any attempt to redistribute that capital is trivial and won't rise above the level of economic gestures.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

In a pure capitalistic economy in which the capitalists continue to achieve efficiency and utilizing technological innovation, it is to be expected that wages will inevitably be driven to the level of means of subsistence of the workers so this is a terrible idea. I can't see this benefiting anyone but moneyed men.

But why someone be paid more for their services than it's worth?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts
@Crunchy_Nuts said:

But why someone be paid more for their services than it's worth?

Ask those CEO's who drove companies into the ground and then golden-parachuted out to wealth and riches.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

These are government contractors who are hired to do work for the federal government. Some companies are either for profit or non profit who do have the net income to be able to pay their workers $10.10 an hour. These companies will more then likely raise their fees of service to the federal government when there is a contract renewal.

16.5 million people is a lot and by raising $31 billion of extra money will go into the economy as spending. People will want to spend their extra money in increasing their quality of living. This will probably cause other companies to hire more people because of the extra money they will end up getting, so to say that its going to cost 500,000 jobs directly or in directly isn't exactly correct.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

Obviously, but it really depends on buying power.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Not too surprised. It's hard to imagine a minimum wage hike not having either an effect on unemployment or an effect on prices.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 THUMPTABLE

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

What do you mean buying power?

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

As if not raising minimum wage would keep the corporate overlords from slashing jobs and raising prices in the long term...

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chessmaster1989
@THUMPTABLE said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

Buying power just means how much can your money actually buy.

e.g. imagine that your salary increases by 10%, but the prices of the goods you buy (food, housing, etc.) all increase by 20%. Although your salary has gone up, your buying power has gone down (that is, you can get less food/housing/etc. than you could before)

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@THUMPTABLE: the amount of goods and services a certain amount of currency will buy you

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105

@THUMPTABLE: what chess and dave said

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By THUMPTABLE

@chessmaster1989 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

e.g. imagine that your salary increases by 10%, but the prices of the goods you buy (food, housing, etc.) all increase by 20%. Although your salary has gone up, your buying power has gone down (that is, you can get less food/housing/etc. than you could before)

Buying power of $2.16 is not relevant to my statement

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Serraph105
@THUMPTABLE said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

Buying power of $2.16 is not relevant to my statement

Pardon my confusion then, but what were you referring to then?

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: You should probably look up what a "golden parachute" is and its purpose.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
@GazaAli said:

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Where the hell are you getting this from? Not even the extremely fallacious Iron Law of Wages agrees with you and that's basically the only economic theory which argues that wages tend to subsistence over time.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Or people would be more inclined to work hard and make themselves useful.

We've got far too many people with zero training, zero skills, and zero motivation to learn new skills.
But they need jobs, because without jobs, they're simply leeching off those who've worked hard throughout their lives, in the form of welfare checks and food stamps.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Or people would be more inclined to work hard and make themselves useful.

We've got far too many people with zero training, zero skills, and zero motivation to learn new skills.

But they need jobs, because without jobs, they're simply leeching off those who've worked hard throughout their lives, in the form of welfare checks and food stamps.

So whats gonna motivate them to learn skills and work hard? lower wages, less opportunity! lol but yur kidding right?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BeardMaster

@chessmaster1989 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrintro said:

even $10.10 sucks

Better than $2.16!

So what you are saying is the cost of housing increases 20%, so right off the bat ive made tens of thousands of dollars on my home value, and i make 10% more income so i can more easily afford my fixed mortgage payments? sign me up. What part of this is bad?

I know this was meant to be a whole, "inflation is the devil" argument. But inflation helps people in debt (aka the majority of lower income americans) and it drives investment, when hoarded money loses its value over time. So yea, in general, low to moderate inflation is a good thing.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Barbariser
@BeardMaster said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

So what you are saying is the cost of housing increases 20%, so right off the bat ive made tens of thousands of dollars on my home value, and i make 10% more income so i can more easily afford my fixed mortgage payments? sign me up. What part of this is bad?

I know this was meant to be a whole, "inflation is the devil" argument. But inflation helps people in debt (aka the majority of lower income americans) and it drives investment, when hoarded money loses its value over time. So yea, in general, low to moderate inflation is a good thing.

I think you really missed chessmaster's point there.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BeardMaster

@Barbariser said:
@BeardMaster said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

which is what? His point was stupid, why are you defending it? I kow a ton about fiance so i can prolly help you guys if i feel like it

We can see what they do lateer, hopefully im on.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Barbariser
@BeardMaster said:

@Barbariser said:
@BeardMaster said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

which is what? His point was stupid, why are you defending it? I kow a ton about fiance so i can prolly help you guys if i feel like it

Literally all that he was saying is that nominal income =/= purchasing power, which is a very basic concept in economics.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chessmaster1989
@BeardMaster said:

@Barbariser said:
@BeardMaster said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Beard, I was just giving an example of what buying power (purchasing power) means. i.e. differentiating between real and nominal income. I wasn't making any sort of commentary on inflation, debt, or anything else.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Ugh, why do fast food workers think they're worth 10 dollars an hour? Grilling frozen, faux-food is not challenging enough to warrant that kind of pay.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts
@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Ugh, why do fast food workers think they're worth 10 dollars an hour? Grilling frozen, faux-food is not challenging enough to warrant that kind of pay.

It's a dog eat dog society. Every man for himself. You don't get what you want by telling yourself that you don't deserve it.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I think some states should do it. Massachusetts as an example. Cost of living is huge.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#42 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

short term fixes.... only helps people who is making minimal wage for a bit till companies raise the prices on everything to kill the people who wasn't making minimal wage before

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Minimum wage used to be enough money to live on.

By today's dollars, the minimum wage of the 60 and 70s would amount to about 12 dollars an hour.

There's no getting around that fact.

10 dollars an hour is a reasonable compromise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Because I do not want some disgruntled employee spitting into my Big Mac because his boss is not paying him enough.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i would rather see wages go up than continue watching companies have departments that help their employees get on welfare.

watching these companies game the system is outrageous.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Aljosa23: Sounds like you're eating at the wrong place.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@one_plum: I agree, but most people see that as a reason to bitch about not getting what they want instead of going after it. If your job sucks, most people will complain they're not being paid enough, where the people who take advantage of their future will move on to something else, and work their asses off to get there.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Really do not want a minimum wage increase. Will freaking MURDER people in my wage area who DO make above minimum wage, will be settled just above the raised minimum wage, yet will have to pay more for everything....

There has to be a better way to get more money into the hands of those who need it than raising minimum wage and fucking everyone else over...

Inflation will continue to occur in without a rise in the minimum wage. Typically, as is the case here, the minimum wage lags inflation. We are simply subsidizing many of the current wages at this level with public assistance because that wage level isn't enough to sustain many of those workers.

If those costs become baked into the costs of the goods rather than being abstracted out into taxation, I would tend to view that as a good thing that ends a market distortion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Master_Live said:

CBO: Wage hike to cost 500K jobs

From the article:

The office of Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) was quick to seize on the CBO finding, arguing it shows Republicans are right that the proposal would hurt the economy. “This report confirms what we’ve long known: while helping some, mandating higher wages has real costs, including fewer people working. With unemployment Americans’ top concern, our focus should be creating — not destroying — jobs for those who need them most,” said spokesman Brendan Buck.

This may be an attempt to promote the trickle down effect. Speaker Boehner might be against that.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

It ain't gonna change a thing.. minimum wage goes up, then shortly it will become like not making anymore money. same old, same old.