Can you eat snakes, frog,dog or cat meat OT ?

#1 Edited by indzman (17230 posts) -

Some Chinese people eat meats or soups from frogs , snakes , dogs , cats, also fried tarantulas is very popular on Cambodia. Would you eat them ? If you have tasted them already , how they taste ?

I definately can't :(

#2 Posted by toast_burner (21427 posts) -

I would like to try frog. The other stuff I wouldn't choose but might eat it if given to me.

#3 Edited by pyro1245 (535 posts) -

And they probably taste good, because who would make food that tastes bad?

#4 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2396 posts) -

no

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (7811 posts) -

Because something is not the norm for my (or our) culture, doesn't necessarily make it bad.

So yea sure, as long as it's ethically killed and safe to eat, why not?

#6 Posted by comp_atkins (31267 posts) -

i've had frog leg before. it was pretty good

#7 Posted by Celldrax (14564 posts) -

It would largely depend on how the food is prepared.

I'll try just about anything, but there are certain 'exotic' foods where the stomach just can't agree with my curiosity.

#8 Posted by johnd13 (7985 posts) -

I wouldn't eat dog or cat meat but frog or snake I'd try. As long as it's not weird looking like the snake head in the first pic. Yikes!

#9 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26039 posts) -

I'd try human if it was legal.

#10 Posted by alim298 (1201 posts) -

This reminds me of snake eater... feeding on a frog... yeah...

#11 Edited by Sword-Demon (6963 posts) -

I've eaten snake before. I'd try frog, but not dog or cat.

#12 Edited by HadOne2Many (1251 posts) -

I live in Florida, I've had frogs and snakes on my dinner plate plenty of times (gator too). Mostly we just deep fry them. It isn't bad at all. I'd prefer not to eat my pets though.

#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Frog and snake I would eat. I wouldn't eat dog or cat because I look at them as pets. I would not eat a spider.

#14 Edited by Korvus (3196 posts) -

Depends where I am. If I'm visiting a country where a certain animal I normally wouldn't eat is on the menu, I probably would avoid being rude by not eating it. Then again, it depends on how it's prepared/presented. If it was a dish with snake meat, sure, if it's a dish with a snake head I'm supposed to suck on, probably not =P

#15 Edited by jasean79 (2357 posts) -

I've eaten Chinese food. Chances are I've had dog and cat unknowingly.

#16 Edited by comp_atkins (31267 posts) -

what about some chilled monkey brains?

#17 Posted by PcGamingRig (7074 posts) -

Not a vegetarian but I wouldn't eat anything out of the ordinary.

Fish, Pork, Beef, Lamb etc.

I eat them because they are farmed and bred for food.

Might have to stop eating fish soon though.

#18 Posted by elkoldo (1011 posts) -

DISGUSTING !

#19 Posted by Sword-Demon (6963 posts) -

Not a vegetarian but I wouldn't eat anything out of the ordinary.

Fish, Pork, Beef, Lamb etc.

I eat them because they are farmed and bred for food.

Might have to stop eating fish soon though.

So you don't eat them because they aren't bred with the purpose of bring sold as food?

I don't understand that logic; why should the sale of livestock influence what you're willing to eat?

#20 Posted by magicalclick (22438 posts) -

Snake: Did it, very bony, worse than rabbit.

Frog: Duh, American eats frog too. Nothing special.

Dog: No and never. They are too cute and I can't see them in the eyes if I eat them. But I heard their meat is one of the best, like heavenly taste. They are high end food.

Cat: No, too cute and they will hunt me in my dreams.

Land spiders: No, too creepy.

Bugs: No.

American bugs that you can buy in a vending machine: No, but the kids sure loves them. I should be brave and eat one though.

Sea spiders (crab): yes.

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (87640 posts) -

Ever since MGS3 Snake Eater I've been wanting to try snake. Can't find a place here that offers it (likely due to the controlled nature of the exotic pet industry). And garter snakes aren't very appetizing.

Frogs are fairly common in European cuisine. Never had them, but wouldn't balk at the offer (they are usually quite expensive if I ever do see them on a menu).

Dogs are cats are a big no no for me unless in a dire survival situation.

Any insect, for the most part, I'd prefer to be ground up into a protein powder/paste and then I'd easily consume it. Full size tarantulas or scorpions? Probably not. The only live bug I'll probably ever try are those honey ants (they eat plant material and carry a sweet nectar in their abdomen). I'm not a grub kinda guy. Got too many worries.

#22 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

i have eaten frog legs before and those are pretty tasty.

i'm sure if i was hungry enough i could eat any of the rest you listed.

#23 Posted by zeroyaoi (1914 posts) -

@jasean79: Gross! D;

It's why I make my own Chinese food.

#24 Posted by Master_Live (14170 posts) -

I probably wouldn't eat any of them. Definitely not dog meat. I don't like cats.

#25 Posted by thegerg (14838 posts) -

yes

#26 Posted by tocool340 (20483 posts) -

Not interested. If it was my last resort, I'd probably eat it though...

#27 Posted by hippiesanta (9804 posts) -

My father eats any verterbrate that move ... snakes, bats, flyingfox, kingfisher, monkey, Iguana, anteater, squirrel, pigeon ....you named it .... there's always some tortoise egg in is fridge for consumption (he got dozens of tortoise as a pet) ... and sometimes there's some frozen reptilian head inside the freezer.... because of his wierd habit and because of his previous culture ........ I'll stick on normal western food.

#28 Posted by sukraj (22108 posts) -

what about some chilled monkey brains?

kill a monkey brain

#29 Posted by 10854 (108 posts) -

sis

#30 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

Spiders cross a line.

#31 Edited by jasean79 (2357 posts) -

Spiders cross a line.

Unless you're a Fear Factor contestant.

I think that was one of the most disgusting shows on television. The "fear factor pizza" really pushed the limit of what I consider edible.

#32 Posted by Assassin_87 (2309 posts) -

Out of the creatures listed in the OP, I've eaten all of them but dog and cat. I'd try them if I were somewhere where it was culturally normal, and have no real moral qualms with eating cat/dog meat so long as it is prepared in a manner that makes it both safe to consume and palatable. There may be some mental hurdles to jump through because of social differences in western culture (I own dogs and cats and always have kept them as pets) but that's about it.

#33 Posted by Dogswithguns (10700 posts) -

No... but I don't mind take a bite or two. first..

#34 Posted by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

I would only be willing to try frog from that list. But more importantly, some people eat fucking huge and hairy spiders? W.T.F?

#35 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15915 posts) -

Dog meat is considered beer food at my wife's birth country (Philippines). It was okay and the beer was great. After having other beer food (tiger prawn, goat meat, mussel/clams) and a whole lot of beer, dog meat didn't seem that much different. A little stringy though.

I've had fried frog legs before. I ate it along with other food.

#36 Posted by ferrari2001 (16811 posts) -

I've had frog and it is actually pretty delicious. I've also heard good things about snake, although I've never had it.

#37 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

i could, but in a post apocalyptic future where i must, i'd eat slain raider flesh before a dog.

the rest sounds good. had frog, the best was with a sweet asian marinade, had BBQ snake, and cats are not dogs, i would eat them before rats or bats.

#38 Posted by harry_james_pot (10546 posts) -

No, never!

#39 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i wouldn't eat dog meat because there are too many dogs i like. this is why i don't get close to any pigs.

frog doesn't seem too intimidating although i'd probably first try them at a quality restaurant rather than risk a bad experience.

i might try bugs but it would depend on the presentation. live? no, i'm too much of a sissy. more likely they'd have to be fried or transformed somehow.

#40 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

Honestly, I probably had them in the last batch of McNuggets I bought.

#41 Posted by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

I enjoy frog legs and I would like to try snake but the others I would pass on.

#42 Edited by achilles614 (4848 posts) -

I had frog legs two nights ago, managed to convince my girlfriend that I was eating chicken and she tried one >:)

A weird one is duck chin...

I should add that frog legs from restaurants kinda freak me out, I really prefer eating them if I or someone I knew caught and prepared them (benefit of practically growing up in FL everglades, swamp delicacies :) )