Can someone tell me why Android web browsing is so awful compared to iOS?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TidusIsBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TidusIsBest
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

Why Android is Awful

First of all, I own a Samsung Galaxy S2. I have owned it for a year and a half. My contract is obviously up soon and I can upgrade. Before this phone I had an Iphone 4. I am creating this thread to ask questions and to weigh my options.

There are pros and cons of going from iOS to Android. One of the biggest cons is that apps on Android usually are worse than the IOS versions of the same app. Even worse, the web browsers on Android range from decent to just plain terrible. Scrolling up and down web pages is absolutely terrible compared to iOS. Period. I downloaded tons of browsers and it made hardly any difference.

I downloaded Dolphin, Dolphin Mini, Chrome, Opera, Opera Mini, Firefox, UC browser and many more. . Funnily enough, the stock browser was the fastest of them all, and easily had the smoothest scrolling of any of the browsers, so it was my personal favorite for android. Dolphin was second best. However, just because it was the smoothest doesn't mean it was great. The stock browser is fast and just tolerable scrolling. Dolphin is slightly fast and just tolerable scrolling. The rest of the browsers were pathetically slow, bloated laggy messes with unacceptable scrolling blur.

Why is iOS so much better?

The Android web browsing experience is very poor. Which is especially disappointing when you consider web browsing is one of the main reasons you buy a smartphone in the first place. iOS was a far better web surfing experience for me and you didn't have to deal with any of the crap I have to deal with on Android.

Comparing these Android browsers to iOS's browsers is like comparing a 60 fps game vs a 20 fps game, side-by-side. IOS browsers are faster and super smooth scrolling compared to Android.

IOS is sooooo much smoother in comparison, I totally forgot how much after not having an iphone for over a year before I went and tested out the iPhone 5 at an Apple Store this week. I want to know why after all these years Android STILL Has crappy scrolling? I am assuming it is because it isn't closed hardware and optimized like IOS? Is that why iOS is so much smoother?

Either way, I am done with waiting for Android to improve. I want an optimized, silky smooth, lightning fast web browsing experience again. I gave Android a shot. iOS is far better, i dont care what Apple bashers tell me, everything I just said I experienced myself.

Hopefully one day it can offer the amazing experience of iOS. iOS 7 is looking to make it even harder for Android to catch up.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I actually agree with you, web browsing experience on the android is proving itself to be crap so far :?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Android is awesome,you're wrong.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I paid like $130 for my phone two years ago and pay $35 a month for my phone bill so I don't care that it's much worse.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well all I want the internet for is to check in on various places through facebook so that my friends are jealous!

>__>

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Wouldn't it be cool if they offered a place to post this sort of thing?

Gamespot Mobile Wars.

And I have to disagree.  I like the ICS browser over the iPhone's that I had.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

i don't know what to tell you. my only experience with this is my wife constantly asking to borrow my s4 because web pages will not display on her ipad..

and yeah.   mobile wars.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I always switch over to google chrome as my default web browser for my android and it is a phenomenal web browsing experience. It auto zooms into links for you so you are able to click the correct ones. It syncs with my computer and automatically adds my bookmarks. I couldn't tell you what the default android browser is, why it isn't google Chrome I can't figure out consider it is also made by google.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Are you using Chrome, or the stock browser that comes with the phone? I use Chrome on my S3 and it's great. No complaints whatsoever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
Can't say I've run into any of that with my phone.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Most android browsers blow. Stock AOSP browser is better than anything on Android or iOS.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Browsing on my Nexus 7 works fine.  And it's not too bad on my EVO 3D, except for the small screen

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

probably because apple owns the intellectual rights to do it the best way and everyone else has to find workarounds to do the same things.

i still would not take ios over my android though.

i have had a droid x2 for like 3 years now and have never had to pay for one single app the entire time i have had it.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#14 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I could not tell you why, because I find the opposite to be true.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

The stock AOSP browser from 4.0 on is the best, and I'm including iOS browsers in that statement. It's smoother than Safari. 

I like Chrome's features, but scrolling is choppy. Everything else is either laggy or lacks features.

Personally, I use Chrome for tab sync, but I wish it were as smooth as the stock browser.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

If you don't like the default browser there are many ones to try, I myself use Dolphin and I find it to be the best mobile experience.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
I haven't noticed that. I think you're wrong.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
<3 Opera mini on Android. And Dolphin HD for hi-res stuff.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I use Opera on all my devices for web browsing... the only issue I have is the Linux version of the desktop browser sometimes doesn't agree with ESPN's website. Never had a single issue on my Android phone or tablet.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I currently have a note 2 on at&t and I have no issues untill I get to 3gb then the connection slows down to 3g speeds. My soon has a blu life playon t-mobile and his phone works great he says. Could be your carrier or your phone. You may have to many apps running or you coulp swap out your browser.

The web is your friend use the force luke.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Seems fine to me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
I like Android OS better than Apple's though as far as apps go the one glaring flaw of Androids shop is that it's so open anybody can make a shit app for it and publish it in the store, so you have to hunt among shitty apps to find a halfway decent one, while Apple setup allows for more quality apps to be in its store through its stricter approval process.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I always switch over to google chrome as my default web browser for my android and it is a phenomenal web browsing experience. It auto zooms into links for you so you are able to click the correct ones. It syncs with my computer and automatically adds my bookmarks. I couldn't tell you what the default android browser is, why it isn't google Chrome I can't figure out consider it is also made by google. ferrari2001

Exactly what I was thinking.

I never use the stock browser on my HTC One. But google chrome is great.  I love the features you mentioned as well.  Still amazed how smooth that sync was between my computer and smart phone, had no idea it did that before.

TC, any chance it was just your phone? Iphone 4 vs S2 isn't the greatest comparison.  There are way better android phones on the market.  Personally I'm not a fan of the simplicity of IOS.  I prefer to customize my layout for widgets and apps.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Why Android is Awful

First of all, I own a Samsung Galaxy S2. I have owned it for a year and a half. My contract is obviously up soon and I can upgrade. Before this phone I had an Iphone 4. I am creating this thread to ask questions and to weigh my options.

There are pros and cons of going from iOS to Android. One of the biggest cons is that apps on Android usually are worse than the IOS versions of the same app. Even worse, the web browsers on Android range from decent to just plain terrible. Scrolling up and down web pages is absolutely terrible compared to iOS. Period. I downloaded tons of browsers and it made hardly any difference.

I downloaded Dolphin, Dolphin Mini, Chrome, Opera, Opera Mini, Firefox, UC browser and many more. . Funnily enough, the stock browser was the fastest of them all, and easily had the smoothest scrolling of any of the browsers, so it was my personal favorite for android. Dolphin was second best. However, just because it was the smoothest doesn't mean it was great. The stock browser is fast and just tolerable scrolling. Dolphin is slightly fast and just tolerable scrolling. The rest of the browsers were pathetically slow, bloated laggy messes with unacceptable scrolling blur.

The Android web browsing experience is very poor. Which is especially disappointing when you consider web browsing is one of the main reasons you buy a smartphone in the first place. iOS was a far better web surfing experience for me and you didn't have to deal with any of the crap I have to deal with on Android.

Comparing these Android browsers to iOS's browsers is like comparing a 60 fps game vs a 20 fps game, side-by-side. IOS browsers are faster and super smooth scrolling compared to Android.

IOS is sooooo much smoother in comparison, I totally forgot how much after not having an iphone for over a year before I went and tested out the iPhone 5 at an Apple Store this week. I want to know why after all these years Android STILL Has crappy scrolling? I am assuming it is because it isn't closed hardware and optimized like IOS? Is that why iOS is so much smoother?

Either way, I am done with waiting for Android to improve. I want an optimized, silky smooth, lightning fast web browsing experience again. I gave Android a shot. iOS is far better, i dont care what Apple bashers tell me, everything I just said I experienced myself.

Hopefully one day it can offer the amazing experience of iOS. iOS 7 is looking to make it even harder for Android to catch up.

TidusIsBest
The S2 over a year and a half older than the iPhone 5. Of course its going to be faster...
TidusIsBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TidusIsBest
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts
[QUOTE="TidusIsBest"]

Why Android is Awful

awptical
The S2 over a year and a half older than the iPhone 5. Of course its going to be faster...

my iphone 4 was smoother than my s2 and its 2 years older.....
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts
[QUOTE="awptical"][QUOTE="TidusIsBest"]

Why Android is Awful

TidusIsBest

my iphone 4 was smoother than my s2 and its 2 years older.....

then your phone was faulty. The S2 destroyed the iPhone 4 in every way.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Guys I Ike my iPhone
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
The Galaxy S4 and Note 2 were really unerwhelming to use, even for extended periods of time. I'll stick with buying old iphones for cheap. Better music player and better internet.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

The Galaxy S4 and Note 2 were really unerwhelming to use, even for extended periods of time. I'll stick with buying old iphones for cheap. Better music player and better internet.YoshiYogurt

don't they connect to the same internet?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]The Galaxy S4 and Note 2 were really unerwhelming to use, even for extended periods of time. I'll stick with buying old iphones for cheap. Better music player and better internet.lostrib

LOL
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
I am posting from an I device RIGHT NOW
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dave123321

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]The Galaxy S4 and Note 2 were really unerwhelming to use, even for extended periods of time. I'll stick with buying old iphones for cheap. Better music player and better internet.lostrib

That's like saying all mobile carriers connect to the same people. True but besides the point
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]The Galaxy S4 and Note 2 were really unerwhelming to use, even for extended periods of time. I'll stick with buying old iphones for cheap. Better music player and better internet.dave123321

That's like saying all mobile carriers connect to the same people. True but besides the point

Whoosh!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
I am posting from an I device RIGHT NOWdave123321
I'm sorry to hear that man.....:(
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Whoosh!

Not the first joke to go over my head :(
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dave123321
[QUOTE="dave123321"]I am posting from an I device RIGHT NOWLJS9502_basic
I'm sorry to hear that man.....:(

It gets the job done
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
This has been very informative forum. I'm a smartphone virgin. I've kept my chastity for as long as possible but my job and family are forcing me to pop my smart phone cherry. I've been going back and forth as to which one to get but now I think Im leaning towards waiting next week when they announce the iPhone 5S.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Whoosh!

I thought it was implied that I meant internet browser based on the OP.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Web browsing is awesome on jellybeane 4.2 and 4.3

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
because android is awful.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

because android is awful.Tessellation

no, it's pretty cool

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Apple products? gross.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Well of course it's going to be bad if you're using such an old phone and running an awful Touchwiz rom.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I downloaded chrome for my iPhone and lol-deleted after about 20 minutes.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 YoshiYogurt
Apple products? gross.LittleMac19
Please tell me a company that makes 160gb music players. There literally is no alternative to this:
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Apple products? gross.YoshiYogurt
Please tell me a company that makes 160gb music players. There literally is no alternative to this:

I don't get why people even got those. I don't see the point of having movies on it and I have no idea how you would get even 100 GB of songs.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I don't get why people even got those. I don't see the point of having movies on it and I have no idea how you would get even 100 GB of songs.

cain006

I have almost half that and that number is ever growing. I try to stay out of Best Buy as much as I can as it seems I always walk out with at least $100 worth of CDs that I end up ripping and putting on at least my PC. I cracked the screen on my 64GB Zen xFi-2. :( 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Apple products? gross.YoshiYogurt

Google play music?

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
I'm assuming you are running gingerbread. The stock browser for s2 isn't all that great. However the stock browser for jelly bean devices are pretty solid. But I always use third party browsers on my mobile devices.ive been using dolphin browser for quite a while now.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Apple products? gross.cain006

Please tell me a company that makes 160gb music playe

rs. There literally is no alternative to this:

I've been collecting CD's and Vinyl for about 3 years now and I already have about 20 GB of music. So I'd say in a few years I'm gonna tip over the 64 GB mark.

Also it's pretty neat that I can use it as a back-up drive for my PC.