Back to the future travelled from 1989 to 2015

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

And how nice it was to see the future, yesterday I saw the movie again and I have seen it when it was released back in the day, I'm now in my mid thirties.

I felt really akward, because seeing that movie really made me feel old. I mean in back to the future part II they time travelled from 1989 to 2015 and now we are 2015. Dear lord...

But ok , let's get over our nostalgia and look at how they saw 2015, what inventions and technology they (the directors back in 1989) thought we would have right now in 2015 (and if we actually have it or not)

1) thumbprint technology: yes we have that, it's not as commonly used as in the movie (to open your front door) but it's certainly been used.

2) precise location weather forecast on your watch: we have it, with gps and radars on the internet we can easily forecast at a pretty precisce time if it's going to rain where we stand or not. The technology looks a bit more precise in the movie, but that's mostly because we don't use this tech in conjuction with gps location.

3) Self drying clothes: no we don't have it

4) Shoes that tie themselves: Apparently some german company came up with that this year in january, probably because of the movie lol. We can easily make it, but do we need it.

5) Flying cars: We have them, but they are not mainstream at all, and they're not as functional as in the movie. Flying cars today still need to take off like a plane, the cars in back to the future II can rise up and land like a harrier jet with jet engines that can change direction. We could make a car like that, but it would costs billions of dollars, so the directors were a bit optimistic there.

6) flatscreens: we even have them flatter than in the movie, almost as flat and thin as a piece of paper actually.

7) holographic and 3d technology; we have it

I can't think of any more right now...

Any thoughts on these inventions or other inventions/technology in the movie that I might failed to mention?

And any thoughts on what changed/didn't change the last 26 years?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

We don´t have time travel machines because the flux capacitor hasn´t been invented yet plus Mr Fusion isn´t like the every day power source for your vehicle.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.. Well we don't dress like morons like we saw in Hill Valley 2015.. That's the biggest win in my book.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Actually it was 1985, then 1955, then back to 1985, then to 2015, then back to 1985 which was altered from the one they left because of future Biff's actions in 1955, so they returned to 1955, restored the time line and the doc was sent to 1885 and Marty went back to get him. Then he returned to 1985.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@Smokescreened84 said:

Actually it was 1985, then 1955, then back to 1985, then to 2015, then back to 1985 which was altered from the one they left because of future Biff's actions in 1955, so they returned to 1955, restored the time line and the doc was sent to 1885 and Marty went back to get him. Then he returned to 1985.

so why when marty fucked up the the original 1985 by having his dad knock biff out did they not go back again to correct it? they only went back to 1955 to correct 1985 when they didn't like the outcome.

playing god w/ time it seems.

oh and seriously.. you missed the most important technology,

hoverboards!

Loading Video...

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Cars that run on garbage is tech we don't have yet.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

The doc didn't see the changes so he didn't think to go back and prevent them, if anything I think he approved of them. But the alternate 1985 created by the future Biff was undesirable and had resulted in major changes, while Marty's changes were more focused around his dad's discovery of his own self esteem and of his standing up to Biff at last, they didn't have a major impact on the world like Biff's changes did.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@Smokescreened84 said:

so why when marty fucked up the the original 1985 by having his dad knock biff out did they not go back again to correct it? they only went back to 1955 to correct 1985 when they didn't like the outcome.

hoverboards!

Loading Video...

I can't hear the audio, since I'm at work, but is that thing really real, or is it another prank like the one from a year ago?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@comp_atkins said:
@Smokescreened84 said:

hoverboards!

Loading Video...

I can't hear the audio, since I'm at work, but is that thing really real, or is it another prank like the one from a year ago?

It's real, the problem is it only works on that surface (or metallic anyway), the hoverboard are elektromagnets

so i guess we don't have hoverboards...

Oh and about the difference between 1985 and 1989

Well the movie was released in 1989, so the view on the future is from 1989.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

It's pretty cool how we now have most of those things. I've never seen the movie in its entirety, just some clips on tv and maybe part of it on VHS, my cousin used to like that movie when he was younger though the movie predates him (he was born in 1993). I wouldn't have any nostalgia from the movie since I was born in 1990, so I was either in the womb when the movie came out or not yet existing entirely.

I didn't know the movie featured travel to 2015. It's pretty cool that that is the case and we now are in 2015.

oh, and self-tying shoes, hmmm that's interesting.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

The stuff some clueless people put into their cars (certain oils and petrol) you'd think it was garbage mate.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:
@Ant_17 said:

The stuff some clueless people put into their cars (certain oils and petrol) you'd think it was garbage mate.

Oh man , i'm guilty of that.

I've put brake fluid in my oil tank for my scooter.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Pretty interesting stuff, I love the Back to the Future Trilogy.

It kinda disappoints me hover cars/hoverboards still aren't mainstream yet, and we still don't seem to really have that good for hover technology.

Also in 2 I think there was also a scene showing self-hydrating food, or something like that, it was a pizza. If tech like that exists, sure doesn't seem mainstream either.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

I don't think we will ever have flying cars because some people can't control their vehicles on land. Imagine the carnage if these people owned flying cars.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@commander said:

And how nice it was to see the future, yesterday I saw the movie again and I have seen it when it was released back in the day, I'm now in my mid thirties.

I felt really akward, because seeing that movie really made me feel old. I mean in back to the future part II they time travelled from 1989 to 2015 and now we are 2015. Dear lord...

But ok , let's get over our nostalgia and look at how they saw 2015, what inventions and technology they (the directors back in 1989) thought we would have right now in 2015 (and if we actually have it or not)

1) thumbprint technology: yes we have that, it's not as commonly used as in the movie (to open your front door) but it's certainly been used.

2) precise location weather forecast on your watch: we have it, with gps and radars on the internet we can easily forecast at a pretty precisce time if it's going to rain where we stand or not. The technology looks a bit more precise in the movie, but that's mostly because we don't use this tech in conjuction with gps location.

3) Self drying clothes: no we don't have it

4) Shoes that tie themselves: Apparently some german company came up with that this year in january, probably because of the movie lol. We can easily make it, but do we need it.

5) Flying cars: We have them, but they are not mainstream at all, and they're not as functional as in the movie. Flying cars today still need to take off like a plane, the cars in back to the future II can rise up and land like a harrier jet with jet engines that can change direction. We could make a car like that, but it would costs billions of dollars, so the directors were a bit optimistic there.

6) flatscreens: we even have them flatter than in the movie, almost as flat and thin as a piece of paper actually.

7) holographic and 3d technology; we have it

I can't think of any more right now...

Any thoughts on these inventions or other inventions/technology in the movie that I might failed to mention?

And any thoughts on what changed/didn't change the last 26 years?

I thought you were talking about the new trailer "Fast to the Future " Lol ..

Loading Video...