Attractive People Get Ahead In Life. That's A Fact

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrduckbears3 (104 posts) -

translation, if you're ugly and damn smart, someone prettier than you, dumb or smart will get ahead of you. that's what a recent study says on "lookism". meaning, ugly people will rarely get ahead unless they invent something, otherwise they'll be passed over for someone more attractive in both the economy and in relationships for obvious reasons

#2 Posted by Stranger_36 (464 posts) -

Yeah, I knew I was screwed.

#3 Edited by thegerg (14705 posts) -

Do you have any facts to support this claim? I agree with the premise, but I'm interested in seeing the science.

#4 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

I agree with the OP's position. Also, here's a relevant video.

#5 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

in life, most people get a head

#6 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Most humans are destitute and most of those who aren't are barely getting by. What are you talking about, son? Most humans do not live in first world countries.

#7 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Most humans are destitute and most of those who aren't are barely getting by. What are you talking about, son? Most humans do not live in first world countries.

...are you serious?

#8 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9378 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

...are you serious?

i got your joke, BluRayHighTroll completely missed it.

Pretty clever joke tho bro

#9 Posted by hippiesanta (9768 posts) -

yupp ....... agree with topic ..... It really works for me without trying too hard

#10 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9378 posts) -

Im not gonna lie, at work I provide excellent customer service and go out of my way for good looking woman (anywhere from ages of 18-50) and a look of class (upper-middle class, which typically the type who come to my job anyways).

But when it comes to odd looking people, low looking people, fat people, not necessarily ugly people but nothing above average in terms of looks speech and ethics, and everything associated with lower class people, I tend to not even pay attention to. I especially hate old people.

Im lower middle class my self... but fuck it. And Im not the only one. So yes good looking people (women in particular) usually get special treatment and are seen as a priorities over others. I treat everyone the same, but when Im at work I cant stretch myself too far for everyone and I dont have time for all that, so I go for the most pleasing to the eye and which would be easier for me to deal with and wont give me a hard time.

#11 Edited by ad1x2 (5485 posts) -

That is how life works. Same thing with fiction, if you look at any female superhero or villain consider the most common superpower.

What can you do to change it? Nothing. People are always going to give priority to those who are better looking. You have to really stand out to be noticed if you aren't attractive.

#12 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58075 posts) -

Being attractive is a good quality. Why wouldn't having an additional good quality help one to succeed?

#13 Edited by theone86 (20555 posts) -

What is ahead? Will we get more corporate promotions, more raises, more beautiful women lining up to warm our beds? Find your own satisfaction, then work to extend that satisfaction to as many people as possible. Worry not about external judgements. worry about how you relate to those around you.

#14 Posted by Sandulf29 (14151 posts) -

You know just because you couldn't succeed in life, you shouldn't go out look for things to blame like capitalism, government, people's looks etc.

#15 Posted by indzman (16956 posts) -

You know just because you couldn't succeed in life, you shouldn't go out look for things to blame like capitalism, government, people's looks etc.

#16 Posted by MrGeezer (56043 posts) -

Well, there's no denying that being attractive is better than being unattractive. But it's an absurd oversimplification to act as if being attractive outweighs all other traits. There are a $hitload of attractive people who can't hold a job because they're lazy or crass or have a poor work ethic. There are a $hitload of unattractive people who were successful because they worked their asses off.

#17 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

Well, there's no denying that being attractive is better than being unattractive. But it's an absurd oversimplification to act as if being attractive outweighs all other traits. There are a $hitload of attractive people who can't hold a job because they're lazy or crass or have a poor work ethic. There are a $hitload of unattractive people who were successful because they worked their asses off.

Is it really? Are we talking about socially accepted norms of attractiveness here? What if you're beautiful but don't conform to accepted norms of beauty? "When everyone knows beauty is beauty, this is not good."

#18 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

Being attractive certainly helps, but there are other qualities such as CONFIDENCE that will you get you much farther in life.

I will take confidence over attractiveness any day of the week, granted while I am not some amazing looking guy I am happy to not look like a COMPLETE troll....

#19 Posted by junglist101 (5457 posts) -

It helps a lot but will only get you so far.

#20 Edited by pariah3 (965 posts) -

I think that's bullshit.

Look at Bill Gates.

Bill Gates is one of the richest men on Earth and he is not particularly good-looking. This proves that you don't need to be particulary handsome in order to become very rich.

#21 Posted by comp_atkins (31213 posts) -

@lostrib said:

WHOOSH!

#22 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

@pariah3 said:

I think that's bullshit.

Look at Bill Gates.

Bill Gates is one of the richest men on Earth and he is not particularly good-looking. This proves that you don't need to be particulary handsome in order to become very rich.

True, but not everyone is as genius as Bill Gates. For everyday average looking people, this isn't always the case.

I'm with LostProphetFLCL. I think confidence goes a lot further than looks.

#23 Edited by pariah3 (965 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

True, but not everyone is as genius as Bill Gates. For everyday average looking people, this isn't always the case.

Maybe in the United States people care about looks. But thankfully I don't live in the United States.

I live in Israel and in Israel people are not so looks-obsessed as in the United States, Canada and Europe.

#24 Edited by Blueresident87 (5335 posts) -

@SolidSnake35:

Being attractive is a good quality. Why wouldn't having an additional good quality help one to succeed?

Have to agree with this.

#25 Posted by mingmao3046 (2476 posts) -

OP is absolutely correct. See the link below to read a full explanation of just how your genes largely determine how your life will end up

8/10+ male: life on easy mode

8/10+ female: life handed to you on a silver platter

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130161

#26 Posted by themajormayor (25677 posts) -

Well, being extremely attractive did help me in finding a hot girlfriend. But apart from that it hasn't done much for me.

#27 Edited by themajormayor (25677 posts) -

@pariah3 said:

@jasean79 said:

Maybe in the United States people care about looks. But thankfully I don't live in the United States.

I live in Israel and in Israel people are not so looks-obsessed as in the United States, Canada and Europe.

Yet people look alot better there than in the United States and most of Europe.

#28 Edited by Renevent42 (5110 posts) -

I'd buy that on average attractive people have an advantage.

#29 Posted by slipknot0129 (5484 posts) -

Yeah attractive people go up in ranks faster. Work at McDonalds and you will go up the ranks much faster if you are pretty. Ugly people dont tend to be smart anyways.

#30 Posted by Barbariser (6717 posts) -

You know TC if you're gonna reference a study might as well link it since "hotter people get ahead" isn't that much of a topic.

OP is absolutely correct. See the link below to read a full explanation of just how your genes largely determine how your life will end up

8/10+ male: life on easy mode

8/10+ female: life handed to you on a silver platter

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130161

On the other hand, if your "source" is a giant ass O.P. on a bodybuilding forum then don't bother.

#31 Posted by Behardy24 (2714 posts) -

Not true. Look at Caesar,he may have not have a happy ending,but he did conquer lots of land for Rome. And he was consider real ugly by most people.

#32 Edited by thegerg (14705 posts) -

Not true. Look at Caesar,he may have not have a happy ending,but he did conquer lots of land for Rome. And he was consider real ugly by most people.

Saying that attractive people have an advantage doesn't mean that ugly people can't succeed.

#33 Posted by foxhound_fox (87379 posts) -

Which is why ugly people can be both incredibly rich and/or have gorgeous arm candy.

Generalizations hold shreds of truth to them, but they are not absolute.

#34 Edited by hippiesanta (9768 posts) -

Which is why ugly people can be both incredibly rich and/or have gorgeous arm candy.

Generalizations hold shreds of truth to them, but they are not absolute.

you mean .... they are once hansome and suddently became fat...??

#35 Edited by wis3boi (31016 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

...are you serious?

#36 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13891 posts) -

Ugly people are just inferior. It's evolution doing its work. Eventually the majority will be androgynous looking people.

#37 Posted by TehFuneral (8026 posts) -

I knew that already by comparing myself with my brother, who is very good looking according to most girls. I've seen him literally make his way through various situations simply by sweet talking girls to get what he wants and it works perfectly for him. As for myself, I tried learning from him but I quickly learned that it doesn't work for me because I am average looking. Also, the movie "Catch me if you can" kinda settled this belief in my head that good looking people get more advantages. Everyone below average should work really really hard. Sad truth.

#38 Edited by Iszdope (9570 posts) -

^

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a misanthrope?

#39 Posted by TehFuneral (8026 posts) -

@Iszdope: Secretly, yes. I've learned to hide it in my general behavior though.

#40 Posted by Iszdope (9570 posts) -

@TehFuneral: Ok. You desire a relationship though, yeah?

#41 Posted by TehFuneral (8026 posts) -
#42 Edited by Iszdope (9570 posts) -

@TehFuneral: um...because you are a self-confessed misanthrope..?

#43 Posted by TehFuneral (8026 posts) -

@Iszdope: I don't hate all people, I do love some people like my family and close friends. =/
I expect the worse from people, but I don't treat them like garbage. I'm one of those people whose attitude depends entirely on another's personality.
I am capable of loving people.

#44 Posted by Iszdope (9570 posts) -

@TehFuneral: Ah, that's a relief. Thought you were a goner.

#45 Edited by Hate_Squad (1353 posts) -

Being attractive certainly helps, but there are other qualities such as CONFIDENCE that will you get you much farther in life.

I will take confidence over attractiveness any day of the week, granted while I am not some amazing looking guy I am happy to not look like a COMPLETE troll....

if you are attractive there is no way you wont have confidence.if from a young age you have the admiration and interest of the opposite(and some times the same sex) you will feel way better about yourself

#46 Edited by pariah3 (965 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Yet people look alot better there than in the United States and most of Europe.

The people in Israel do not all look the same of course. There are ugly and obese people here too just like in every country in the world.

The problem is that in Israel as well as in many other countries the world over, the girls can be quite shallow. So in Israel (and as well as in many other countries in the world) if you are a fat and ugly man then it can be quite hard for you to find a good-looking girlfriend.

#47 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (6037 posts) -

@theone86 said:

What is ahead? Will we get more corporate promotions, more raises, more beautiful women lining up to warm our beds? Find your own satisfaction, then work to extend that satisfaction to as many people as possible. Worry not about external judgements. worry about how you relate to those around you.

Gotta love the assumption of a male-centered society here.

EDIT: Also, OP, please back up your statement with some publications.

#48 Posted by N30F3N1X (7964 posts) -

Yeah they do. Get over it.

#49 Posted by N30F3N1X (7964 posts) -

Gotta love the assumption of a male-centered society here.

EDIT: Also, OP, please back up your statement with some publications.

Gotta love the assumption that what he said had anything to do with that.