Assigned my first Excel homework

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#1 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

Just started a Networking degree and in my Information Systems(my minor) class, I was just assigned my first spreadsheet homework. He is giving us two weeks to do it but it needs to be very professional with no mistakes. That inculdes the way it is stapled, including a header on every page, a cover sheet, things like that. I feel like I that shouldn't be a problem with me, but I will admit that I have very little experience with spreadsheets and that was back in high school. I really just wanted to know if there was anyone on here with experience with them and if you have any general tips for me before I get started? I currently have Microsoft Excel STARTER 2010..so it's not even the full version of Excel. Will this be enough to complete my assignments? At first glance, it looks like everything works so far but idk really.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#2 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

These are the things you can't do in Starter:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/starter-help/excel-features-that-are-not-fully-supported-in-excel-starter-HA010374501.aspx

By the looks of it, you should be fine since you can still do if statements and lookups (etc) - it still seems to do all the important stuff you might require Excel for. And failing all else, I assume your university has computers you can access with the full version of Excel.

(You could also consider the Open Source spreadsheet programs which should support the xls format)

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
Good luck with Excel; It's a *** damn b**ch! STUPID FORMULAS! I'M SO GLAD I'M DONE WITH THAT CLASS!
Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

Good luck mate you're gonna need it!

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MaddenBowler10
Good luck with Excel; It's a *** damn b**ch! STUPID FORMULAS! I'M SO GLAD I'M DONE WITH THAT CLASS!-RocBoys9489-

These are the things you can't do in Starter:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/starter-help/excel-features-that-are-not-fully-supported-in-excel-starter-HA010374501.aspx

By the looks of it, you should be fine since you can still do if statements and lookups (etc) - it still seems to do all the important stuff you might require Excel for. And failing all else, I assume your university has computers you can access with the full version of Excel.

(You could also consider the Open Source spreadsheet programs which should support the xls format)

LordRork
Open Source? Like Google docs?
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MaddenBowler10
Good luck with Excel; It's a *** damn b**ch! STUPID FORMULAS! I'M SO GLAD I'M DONE WITH THAT CLASS!-RocBoys9489-

Rioichi21Cooper
:/ I was hoping more for a "No worries mate, study and practice enough and you'll get the hang of it" Lol. I'm scared.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

Are you at ITT Tech or something? How the hell do you not know how to use excel?

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Good luck with Excel; It's a *** damn b**ch! STUPID FORMULAS! I'M SO GLAD I'M DONE WITH THAT CLASS!MaddenBowler10
[QUOTE="Rioichi21Cooper"]

:/ I was hoping more for a "No worries mate, study and practice enough and you'll get the hang of it" Lol. I'm scared.

tbh excel is quite easy imo
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
If Starter doesn't do the job then try Libreoffice, it's basically a free version of Word but not as pretty. However the Excel application is damn good and to me is the most well supported portion of the entire suite. There's also Openoffice if you want stability since Libreoffice moves a lot faster in terms of releases and development.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

tbh excel is quite easy imonilzg

Dead easy.

=concatenate("Dead ","easy")

Let me know if you get stuck.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Are you at ITT Tech or something? How the hell do you not know how to use excel?

bigfoot2045
This Learned Excel in grade 10 i think.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaddenBowler10

bigfoot2045
No I'm not in ITT Tech. I'm in a Networking Technologies degree at WIU and my first semester are for the most part introductory courses in the field; and so the class I'm taking is so much to introduce me to the basics of Excel and by the end of the semester, I should know how to do many advanced things that are especially required for in the field. And the professor actually asked everyone if they know how to use excel and about 3 out of 20-25 students raised their hands so I know I'm not alone. I DID learn how to do some things in Excel back in High School so it's not all foreign to me, but to say I'm good at excel, that would be a stretch.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

MaddenBowler10

No I'm not in ITT Tech. I'm in a Networking Technologies degree at WIU and my first semester are for the most part introductory courses in the field; and so the class I'm taking is so much to introduce me to the basics of Excel and by the end of the semester, I should know how to do many advanced things that are especially required for in the field. And the professor actually asked everyone if they know how to use excel and about 3 out of 20-25 students raised their hands so I know I'm not alone. I DID learn how to do some things in Excel back in High School so it's not all foreign to me, but to say I'm good at excel, that would be a stretch.

Plus of those that put their hands up, do they really know how to use excel?

I'd suspect that at least one of the folk who didn't put their hands up was competent but modest.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I'm an accountant, Excel is more important than air to breathe. What do you have to do? Pivot tables?