Article : "Big Fat Black Lady" Angered by Gas Station Receipt

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlackTragedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BlackTragedy
Member since 2009 • 1830 Posts

link

Wow suxs to be her

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
I figured she'd be all up in arms about the "black lady" part, but kudos to her for taking objective information as just that.
cooler890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cooler890
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts

that's hilarious the dude who wrote that is awesome

MetallicSoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MetallicSoap
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts

he did it for the lulz

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts
That was disrespectful :/ but kind of funny(fat jokes don't do it for me ).
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
They could have asked for some personal info for her to repeat later. He should lose his job for being so cruel.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
deactivated-5c47d700b56ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
Member since 2003 • 8038 Posts
they were trying to figure out who to give it to and didnt know what she looked like...ha ha.
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

cooler890
Wow that is not cool. He should be fired.
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts

cooler890
Not funny at all.
Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts

What does she mean she doesn't get the "Big fat" part? She's big and fat.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

What does she mean she doesn't get the "Big fat" part? She's big and fat.

Patatopan
I think she doesn't get how someone could be so insensitive and stupid. I'm struggling with it too honestly.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

"But I don't get 'big fat.' I don't get that part."..

:lol: Has she looked at herself recently?

_Ben99_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 _Ben99_
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
it could off hurt less had it not been seen by her kid . damn it
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
Not cool. She seems to be handling it well so good on her. The clerk should be fired for that
Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts

I'm black and I find this funny...I'm so wrong XD

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RiseAgainst12

I'm black and I find this funny...I'm so wrong XD

Ikouze
What? she is annoyed at being called Big and fat.. not being called black.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RiseAgainst12
Not cool. She seems to be handling it well so good on her. The clerk should be fired for thattofu-lion91
Well the woman is Big and fat.. I don't see why he should be fired. Sure maybe an apology.. but being fired is to far.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
[QUOTE="tofu-lion91"]Not cool. She seems to be handling it well so good on her. The clerk should be fired for thatRiseAgainst12
Well the woman is Big and fat.. I don't see why he should be fired. Sure maybe an apology.. but being fired is to far.

That's not how you treat customers.....and yes...he should be fired.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RiseAgainst12
[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"][QUOTE="tofu-lion91"]Not cool. She seems to be handling it well so good on her. The clerk should be fired for thatLJS9502_basic

Treat customers? he give a description that was a very basic truth.. He hardly laughed in her face and made fun of the fact she was fat and big. He may have ment nothing by it and was the best way he could give a quick description.. An apology is more than enough to the woman unless prove can be found he done it intentionally to cause offense or to make jest of her.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

She should be angered at herself for ruining her body with food.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Danm_999
[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"] Well the woman is Big and fat.. I don't see why he should be fired. Sure maybe an apology.. but being fired is to far.

Treat customers? he give a description that was a very basic truth.. He hardly laughed in her face and made fun of the fact she was fat and big. He may have ment nothing by it and was the best way he could give a quick description.. An apology is more than enough to the woman unless prove can be found he done it intentionally to cause offense or to make jest of her.

Do we really have to dumb it down this much? Are we really going to pretend he's that innocent? How could anybody seriously allow a customer to see that, and not expect to cause offense? That's the rub too. This wasn't a private joke between employees which maybe you could excuse on the grounds they never thought she'd find out. The customer was GIVEN the receipt. It's a basic truth, yes, but polite society dictates you internalise truths like that. It's a pretty basic lesson taught to children from a very young age: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Bottom line: does it really need to be said that calling someone "big, fat" is probably a taboo in a customer service industry? If something can't figure that out, should they really be in customer service?
Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
Damn. That bastard should be fired.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"] Well the woman is Big and fat.. I don't see why he should be fired. Sure maybe an apology.. but being fired is to far.

Sorry.....but when you have a business losing customers is not a goal. I'd fire him if he worked for me......
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Danm_999
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That's not how you treat customers.....and yes...he should be fired.

Sorry.....but when you have a business losing customers is not a goal. I'd fire him if he worked for me......

Yep. Either's he's trying to be offensive, which is generally no good in customer service or, he's unaware calling someone "big, fat" is offensive, which means he's too oblivious to work in customer service.
Avatar image for eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts
Kudos to her for keeping her cool. and not taking offense at 'black lady'.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RiseAgainst12
[QUOTE="Danm_999"] Do we really have to dumb it down this much? Are we really going to pretend he's that innocent? How could anybody seriously allow a customer to see that, and not expect to cause offense? That's the rub too. This wasn't a private joke between employees which maybe you could excuse on the grounds they never thought she'd find out. The customer was GIVEN the receipt. It's a basic truth, yes, but polite society dictates you internalise truths like that. It's a pretty basic lesson taught to children from a very young age: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Bottom line: does it really need to be said that calling someone "big, fat" is probably a taboo in a customer service industry? If something can't figure that out, should they really be in customer service?

I am not saying he is innocent or that he should be let of the hook.. All i am saying is that an apology is more than enough.. He should not lose a job over something so trivial. And the fact that he knew she would be getting a hold of the receipt again shows that personally he felt there wasn't much offence to be caused through it. If anything the shop should be responsible for making sure it's staff can properly handle customer relations.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] Do we really have to dumb it down this much? Are we really going to pretend he's that innocent? How could anybody seriously allow a customer to see that, and not expect to cause offense? That's the rub too. This wasn't a private joke between employees which maybe you could excuse on the grounds they never thought she'd find out. The customer was GIVEN the receipt. It's a basic truth, yes, but polite society dictates you internalise truths like that. It's a pretty basic lesson taught to children from a very young age: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Bottom line: does it really need to be said that calling someone "big, fat" is probably a taboo in a customer service industry? If something can't figure that out, should they really be in customer service?RiseAgainst12
I am not saying he is innocent or that he should be let of the hook.. All i am saying is that an apology is more than enough.. He should not lose a job over something so trivial. And the fact that he knew she would be getting a hold of the receipt again shows that personally he felt there wasn't much offence to be caused through it. If anything the shop should be responsible for making sure it's staff can properly handle customer relations.

See the problem is when you are in a customer service industry....it's NOT trivial. The shop does that by firing those that can't act with respect and manners....which one should have when they are a child and not need to be taught as an adult.:|

rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

the employee, was an ill mannered oaf.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Wow very rude, shame how some people are.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I thought that was funny regardless of what you people say. I'm also happy that she's going through with it in a nice way instead of going "ghetto" on them as many black lady big fats would usually do. so I have some respect for her.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Danm_999
[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"][QUOTE="Danm_999"] Do we really have to dumb it down this much? Are we really going to pretend he's that innocent? How could anybody seriously allow a customer to see that, and not expect to cause offense? That's the rub too. This wasn't a private joke between employees which maybe you could excuse on the grounds they never thought she'd find out. The customer was GIVEN the receipt. It's a basic truth, yes, but polite society dictates you internalise truths like that. It's a pretty basic lesson taught to children from a very young age: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Bottom line: does it really need to be said that calling someone "big, fat" is probably a taboo in a customer service industry? If something can't figure that out, should they really be in customer service?

I'm not saying he should be fired as punishment, I'm saying he should be fired for being hopeless as his job. Blaming the shop is terribly weak. If you need a store to tell you not to call a customer fat, you're not fit for the job.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

I thought that was funny regardless of what you people say. I'm also happy that she's going through with it in a nice way instead of going "ghetto" on them as many black lady big fats would usually do. so I have some respect for her.

bigblunt537
Stereotypes and generalizations.:roll:
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
It's pretty funny. The fact that she's gone to the media all distressed and said: ""It says 'black lady,' and I can understand that because I am a black lady," "But I don't get 'big fat.' I don't get that part." is kind of beautiful when coupled with the zoom out from her receipt to a shot of as much of her as they could get in frame.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RiseAgainst12
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"][QUOTE="Danm_999"] Do we really have to dumb it down this much? Are we really going to pretend he's that innocent? How could anybody seriously allow a customer to see that, and not expect to cause offense? That's the rub too. This wasn't a private joke between employees which maybe you could excuse on the grounds they never thought she'd find out. The customer was GIVEN the receipt. It's a basic truth, yes, but polite society dictates you internalise truths like that. It's a pretty basic lesson taught to children from a very young age: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Bottom line: does it really need to be said that calling someone "big, fat" is probably a taboo in a customer service industry? If something can't figure that out, should they really be in customer service?

I'm not saying he should be fired as punishment, I'm saying he should be fired for being hopeless as his job. Blaming the shop is terribly weak. If you need a store to tell you not to call a customer fat, you're not fit for the job.

Yes it is weak.. but at the end of the day it is up to the shop to hire the right people for the job. A simple meeting outlining how to approach customers is enough to make sure it doesn't happen again. Let's face it a store clerk at a filling station isn't the most customer relation heavy job out there.. usually involves a quick hello, that will be $xx.xx and a thankyou as they leave. So shops will often hire the most social awkward people out there. Firing over this is a bit harsh if it is a first time offence.
Korzenowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Korzenowski
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts
The cashier wrote it?
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Well... she is... it would be strange not to include it in her identifying info
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

LJS9502_basic

Stereotypes and generalizations.:roll:

Stereotypes? You mean the things that 80% of them do? I live in NYC and I've been upstate NY, NJ, Florida and many other states and most of them act like that when they don't get what they want or feel insulted. I even worked at ToysRus and the only people that gave me problems were those that didn't speak English and the black ladies. I had no problem with black men while working at all. I also grew up in a very Black/Hispanic neighborhood. Hispanic women can act just like the Black women, but there are a lot more nicer Latinas than the Black women although I have met many nice ones. I'm not trying to be racist as I'm not. I love all and think we all have problems as people, but I've had many experiences and I wont let other people online tell me I'm wrong when I've dealt with it for 20 years.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts
That was an assy thing to do. Props to her for handling the situation so calmly though.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Well... she is... it would be strange not to include it in her identifying infomarkop2003
I know :lol:. I mean what else could you write? -Small pimple below left ear, Adidas footwear, warm homely eyes... -Anything else you remember about her? -Not really. Oh wait... I do remember that when she walked up to pay, all of the goods in the shop juddered on the shelves, so I guess she might have been slightly plump.
Scooter540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Scooter540
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts
I hope he isn't fired,she is big and fat.
WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts

Jeez if she was wearing a blue shirt or something, I would have just wrote "African American Woman, Blue Shirt." Whoever wrote that must have just not cared about the consequences.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
Why didn't the cashier ask for her name instead? :?
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bigblunt537

Jeez if she was wearing a blue shirt or something, I would have just wrote "African American Woman, Blue Shirt." Whoever wrote that must have just not cared about the consequences.

WeaponXY

How do you know she's African American? lol

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

She has my respect not yelling racist all over the place due to the "black lady" part. Better for her to fight the big and fat part as well.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Well, they do need to put identifying information on the receipt, but I don't understand why they would have to put Big AND Fat on it. I mean, one pretty much means the other, so "Big Black Lady" should do...

WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts

[QUOTE="WeaponXY"]

bigblunt537

How do you know she's African American? lol

I don't, but it will automatically make people think of a black person. She could be Kenyan or something, too though. But whatever, it's complicated work trying not to offend people.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Well, they do need to put identifying information on the receipt, but I don't understand why they would have to put Big AND Fat on it. I mean, one pretty much means the other, so "Big Black Lady" should do...

MetroidPrimePwn
That's how I see it, too.