Are Forums Dying ?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#51 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

It seems this forum would benefit from cutting the fat. It's a huge forum with many, many sections, but only with a handful of users.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

Not only the forums, but also people who could give life to forums are dying. Forums generate discussions. Now people want to socialize, not discuss.

Or maybe as Nuck81 said, we're running out of things to talk about. 'And there's nothing new under the sun' -- at least true for most forums. Just look at System Wars here.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

People who are left have no friends like me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@and1salttape said:

Not only the forums, but also people who could give life to forums are dying. Forums generate discussions. Now people want to socialize, not discuss.

Or maybe as Nuck81 said, we're running out of things to talk about. 'And there's nothing new under the sun' -- at least true for most forums. Just look at System Wars here.

I'm still here, Gamespot is all i know and it's my home.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Besides gamespot, I only visit two other forums; one on which I post, one on which I only lurk. The other board on which I post, golf related GolfWRX.com, is quite active. The one on which I only lurk, MMA related Sherdog.com, is also very active.

Sherdog is an popluated by even more batshit crazy people than System Wars, so I refrain from posting there and don't check the boards often. Much like gaming, I've lost most of my interest in MMA, especially after UFC acquired Pride years ago.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Gutting features/functionality to make them smartphone friendly certainly didn't things, nor does banning half the users.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Out of curiosity, who else is annoyed when they see somebody on their friends list post pictures of every. single. meal. they eat?

It's the dictionary definition of being a limousine liberal.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 bforrester420

@garywood69 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Out of curiosity, who else is annoyed when they see somebody on their friends list post pictures of every. single. meal. they eat?

What the **** are you talking about?

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

@bforrester420 said:
@garywood69 said:

It's a very common signifier of a certain type of person. You don't generally see working class construction workers taking photos of their lunch to show their friends.

The emphasis of eating sophisticated food being a symbol of your character is something that you only tend to find with middle class cosmopolitan liberal types. It's the same people who go to Starbucks and buy Apple products.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bforrester420

@garywood69 said:
@bforrester420 said:
@garywood69 said:

It's a very common signifier of a certain type of person. You don't generally see working class construction workers taking photos of their lunch to show their friends.

The emphasis of eating sophisticated food being a symbol of your character is something that you only tend to find with middle class cosmopolitan liberal types. It's the same people who go to Starbucks and buy Apple products.

Yeah, because wealthy, vacuous women who vote republican definitely wouldn't do something like that. I forgot that blue collar stiffs were the only people that voted republican *eyeroll*

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@thehig1: Its that abomination that is social media that is killing our beloved forums man. I can't live without my forums :(

Although, while social media has severely impacted traffic in forums it has made them more "hardcore" by weeding out the plebs that would give up glorious forums for inferior Facebook and twitter. We're running lean now. However, forums seem to have lost lolz value as those capable of generating it profusely have migrated to social media as stated already. So you win some you lose some I guess.

I'd argue that Reddit has fucked up forums for real, much more than social media did considering that it has the ability of attracting more serious audience. Its like one gigantic forum extending to every topic and interest out there. Its like the Walmart of forums.

for a sec, I thought Ali is back.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:
@GazaAli said:

@thehig1: Its that abomination that is social media that is killing our beloved forums man. I can't live without my forums :(

Although, while social media has severely impacted traffic in forums it has made them more "hardcore" by weeding out the plebs that would give up glorious forums for inferior Facebook and twitter. We're running lean now. However, forums seem to have lost lolz value as those capable of generating it profusely have migrated to social media as stated already. So you win some you lose some I guess.

I'd argue that Reddit has fucked up forums for real, much more than social media did considering that it has the ability of attracting more serious audience. Its like one gigantic forum extending to every topic and interest out there. Its like the Walmart of forums.

for a sec, I thought Ali is back.

LOL not only that, I also thought Korvus was back as well. Also what the hell happen to GazaAli? I haven't seen him since last year :(

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I'm fighting back the urge to moderate the whole bunch of you for bring back an old thread and continuing a conversation.