anybody here wants to start their own business in the future?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
If so, what kind of business are you interested in starting.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I have considered at times opening up a coffee shop with a book store and concert hall. As I also desire to be a pastor I would use the concert hall as a church on Sunday mornings. However, this endeavor is not the highest thing I have on my priority list and thus it is not something I am actually pursuing intentionally.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

im a communist so no but if i were too it would be some thing that gives people alternatives.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I have considered at times opening up a coffee shop with a book store and concert hall. As I also desire to be a pastor I would use the concert hall as a church on Sunday mornings. However, this endeavor is not the highest thing I have on my priority list and thus it is not something I am actually pursuing intentionally.

so what's your priority right now?
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Who doesn't? Most people won't though.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mindstorm
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]I have considered at times opening up a coffee shop with a book store and concert hall. As I also desire to be a pastor I would use the concert hall as a church on Sunday mornings. However, this endeavor is not the highest thing I have on my priority list and thus it is not something I am actually pursuing intentionally.

Seminary and becoming a pastor. I do, however, work in a coffee shop and have in the past worked in a book store. As such, one could say that I am still pursuing the dreams I mention unintentionally (rather than intentionally as I mention).
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

i want to start a brewery some day

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]I have considered at times opening up a coffee shop with a book store and concert hall. As I also desire to be a pastor I would use the concert hall as a church on Sunday mornings. However, this endeavor is not the highest thing I have on my priority list and thus it is not something I am actually pursuing intentionally.

Seminary and becoming a pastor. I do, however, work in a coffee shop and have in the past worked in a book store. As such, one could say that I am still pursuing the dreams I mention unintentionally (rather than intentionally as I mention).

Have you considered becoming a pastor in a foreign country?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight

mrbojangles25
what's currently preventing you from doing so?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Lonelynight

I am still young, enjoy my current work (as a brewer), have a lack of funds, and have a lot to learn about many things (specifically, running a business)

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lonelynight

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

I am still young, enjoy my current work (as a brewer), have a lack of funds, and have a lot to learn about many things (specifically, running a business)

are you doing anything right now that is helping you get close to starting your own business?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] what's currently preventing you from doing so?Lonelynight

are you doing anything right now that is helping you get close to starting your own business?

well, I have two degrees in a relevant field, and work in the specific field.

When I pay my loans off, I think some business classes are in order.

Then, maybe in ten years or so, I think it'll be time.  Im pretty happy where I am at the moment though

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I'd love to but wouldn't know where to start. Plus I can't afford to.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

wish i could make a boutique car manufacturing including race modifying services to compete.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Sure, designing and building desks, got a couple ideas already. I wanna learn new skills though before i really start doe.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It's something I've played around with for years. If I ever have the capital to invest in one, I would certainly do it. The GF and I have talked about opening a restaurant together.
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
I always wanted to make an electric company that utilizes treadmills connected to an electric generator. Then I'll pay people to run and exercise to provide electricity. The electricity they generate will be stored to provide energy for households.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Yes, I would like to make a headphone amp company. Something of that sort that involves headphones.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

My business dream isn't as grand as some folks. I've been tossing around the idea of starting a pool cleaning business. Living in the subburbs of SoCal, it's a HUGE freelance industry here. I'm just not sure how to really start getting clients.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I'm in mortuary college right now and when the teacher asks how many of the students (~75) want to own their own funeral home someday roughly 40-50% of the class raises their hands.

Cost to build a new funeral home = $1 - $2 million

Cost of buying an existing funeral home = gross profit of FH for last 5 years is the standard. (a succesful FH can be in the $3 - $4 million range)

I wonder how many of my fellow students have really thought this through. :?

Even if it was an option I doubt I would do it. There's just too many risks involved, and your overhead is ALOT higher when just starting out.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
It is impossible to start a business and keep it open these days because of Walmart and Amazon.com.. my neighbors has a small shop since a long time, but no one goes there, everybody would rather shopping at Walmart. so they closed the store.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pirate700

It is impossible to start a business and keep it open these days because of Walmart and Amazon.com.. my neighbors has a small shop since a long time, but no one goes there, everybody would rather shopping at Walmart. so they closed the store.Dogswithguns
Depends on what kind of business you're trying to start and where you are located. A business that provides a service rather than selling a product isn't typically affected by the Walmarts of the world.

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
Considering going into consultancy in my current line of work. I would have to go in with a partner though, as I don't yet have an impressive enough CV to out go on my own.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
Soon as i think of something i know people buy
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

It is impossible to start a business and keep it open these days because of Walmart and Amazon.com.. my neighbors has a small shop since a long time, but no one goes there, everybody would rather shopping at Walmart. so they closed the store.Dogswithguns
Sure if you open the same type business... that would be stupid

anyways i am proud of my community in my neighborhood. we have over 30 business lined up on main street that goes through our neighborhood and There is only ONE big company and that is white castles thats been there  since 1950's and anytime a big company tries move then they boycotted big time

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I guess but I doubt it would ever happen. 

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts
That's the plan, although the initial aim is pretty low - it's intent is to be a secondary side business in addition to my salaried position. I think the prototyping is just a month or so from completion if I can cobble the time together. Then the LLC process begins, followed by website development (which should be relatively quick for something this small given website development is my day job).
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#28 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Already got one. I run my own web design company. Started it up in '08. It's a great way to earn extra cash. I have a full time day job but am putting my wife through univ. so the extra income has helped out a lot. 

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

If things continue to go smoothly in Colorado and Washington, I want to move to one of those states and open my own marijuana and gaming cafe. 

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Too many regulations to deal with.:P
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I work purely for clients and theoretically could do everything I do now while working for myself, but there's a lot of pros (and cons, of course) to working for a boss. I do not have to worry about a plethora of things like marketing, acquiring clients, legal issues, the headaches that come with employing people, overhead costs et al. Could always start for myself if the need arises but for now I can focus solely on what I like to do.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]It is impossible to start a business and keep it open these days because of Walmart and Amazon.com.. my neighbors has a small shop since a long time, but no one goes there, everybody would rather shopping at Walmart. so they closed the store.Pirate700

Depends on what kind of business you're trying to start and where you are located. A business that provides a service rather than selling a product isn't typically affected by the Walmarts of the world.

pretty much this.

I think we are going to start seeing a lot more service-based businesses, and even product-based businesses that justify their slightly higher prices with better service and, in cases where they produce their product, a superior product.

Beer is a good example of this.  Budweiser is, slowly but surely, losing a percent or two every single year to craft- and micro-brewed because people are realizing that for simple pleasures, its generally worthwhile to spend a little more.  Budweiser is a good beer, but its not so much about cost per ounce any more (though value still plays a roll), but happiness per ounce.  People can't afford to travel the world physically, but they can travel the world with their taste buds, and brewers can bring foreign flavors and styles to people at will.

Or, I dont know, maybe people just drink more in a recession.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mrbojangles25

Too many regulations to deal with.:PGodly_Cure

ugh, tell me about it.  Just to start mine, I am looking at years upon years of license approvals, zoning issues, and more.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mindstorm
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] so what's your priority right now?

Have you considered becoming a pastor in a foreign country?

Yes. I very much intend to have foreign work done whether it is by me or by people I help send.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

if i was sitting on a lot of money, i'd start one--probably a cafe that sells typical coffees and various teas and home-cooked-style foods (basically my favourite dishes that my family makes). i think i'd do a good job of coming up with a diversified and tasty menu. right up the corner from where i live would be the perfect place to open it; the area gets a good amount of traffic, it overlooks a nice conservation area (great for patio seating in the summer), and is a suburban area where a lot of students live--plus, the area is devoid of any cafe-type places.

i'd love to do something like that when i retire (and if i have enough money), but it's not something i intend to pursue to make my living. 

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I mean my father has been a small business man all his life and owned multiple businesses, so there's certainly a chance I will do so in the future.  At the moment though it's not really my priority, and perhaps I'll figure things out a bit more when I go off to college.  Honestly, I am more interested in investing and venture capitalism.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I'm in the process of doing that actually, along with my brother.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lonelynight
I'm in the process of doing that actually, along with my brother.Shottayouth13-
what type of business?
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]I'm in the process of doing that actually, along with my brother.Lonelynight
what type of business?

Web development.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Yeah a drop ship business. 

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
No just to be able to move up in a copy for me is great. To much risk opening a business these days.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

My business dream isn't as grand as some folks. I've been tossing around the idea of starting a pool cleaning business. Living in the subburbs of SoCal, it's a HUGE freelance industry here. I'm just not sure how to really start getting clients.

Pirate700

Print out several hundred flyers, pick a nice neighborhood, and start dropping them off.  Just make it as nice as possible.  The more professional the better.

You could use google maps to satellite view the area to see which houses actually have pools or jacuzzi's.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I'd like to either open a brewery or a gastro pub. My gastro pub would likely be viking themed and serve the ale / mead in viking horns. Have thought up some cool viking names for it too :P.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#44 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

junglist101

Print out several hundred flyers, pick a nice neighborhood, and start dropping them off.  Just make it as nice as possible.  The more professional the better.

You could use google maps to satellite view the area to see which houses actually have pools or jacuzzi's.

And create a web site. You would not believe the amount of the population base that considers those with a web site 'legit'. Business cards are not that expensive these days either. Word of mouth travels fast, I'd imagine it's quicker in a smaller community. Frequent the local hot spots, talk with businesses about posting stuff on their walls if they have a spot.

You do have to have a certain measure of confidence and be willing and able to do some self bragging. People love assuredness. I found that once I became a little more outgoing and got more experience talking to a lot of people, I started getting work.

-

From small beginnings come great things.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lonelynight
You do have to have a certain measure of confidence and be willing and able to do some self bragging. People love assuredness. I found that once I became a little more outgoing and got more experience talking to a lot of people, I started getting work.Namgis
what type of work?
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

My grandparent owned a business.

My parent owned a business.

My boyfriend is running a business.

My friends are all business owners.

So, I actually cant imagine anyother way of life but to be your own boss.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I'm starting a credit repair business with my family. :D
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrbojangles25

I'm starting a credit repair business with my family. :DThe-Apostle

awesome, I'd love to have a family business

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]It is impossible to start a business and keep it open these days because of Walmart and Amazon.com.. my neighbors has a small shop since a long time, but no one goes there, everybody would rather shopping at Walmart. so they closed the store.mrbojangles25

pretty much this.

I think we are going to start seeing a lot more service-based businesses, and even product-based businesses that justify their slightly higher prices with better service and, in cases where they produce their product, a superior product.

Which is why I want to start my pool cleaning business. Small service businesses like that seem to be relatively safe to start as they are extremely cheep to get started and don't cost you anything if you aren't doing business. There's no rent, no employees, no utilities, etc. to have to pay for if you don't have customers.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

junglist101

This was about what I was thinking. The big thing seems to be printing out like 500 really nice business cards for like $10 and just start sticking them in doors. :P