American english conquering Britain

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
Bloody yanks
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#103 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]I spilt some fairy cake on my dinner suit so i put it in the dustbin on my pavement for the dustbin lorry to take away. I spilt some cupcake on my tux, so i put it in the garbage on my sidewalk for the garbage truck to haul away. I'll stick to murrican words with british spelling.Iszdope

I spilled some cup-cake on my good shirt, so I put it in the rubbish bin on my lawn for the garbage man to take to the dump.

Fair dinkum.

Edit: Dump.

Pretty sure most people in the UK call them buns and not fairy cakes. And most say bin instead of dustbin. Sounds better than traaayysh caaaan.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="Iszdope"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]I spilt some fairy cake on my dinner suit so i put it in the dustbin on my pavement for the dustbin lorry to take away. I spilt some cupcake on my tux, so i put it in the garbage on my sidewalk for the garbage truck to haul away. I'll stick to murrican words with british spelling.SolidSnake35

I spilled some cup-cake on my good shirt, so I put it in the rubbish bin on my lawn for the garbage man to take to the dump.

Fair dinkum.

Pretty sure most people in the UK call them buns and not fairy cakes. And most say bin instead of dustbin. Sounds better than traaayysh caaaan.

A bun and a fairy cake are different things.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Iszdope"]

Fair dinkum.

toast_burner

A bun and a fairy cake are different things.

Not in my world. Bun covers all small cakes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
[QUOTE="Iszdope"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]I spilt some fairy cake on my dinner suit so i put it in the dustbin on my pavement for the dustbin lorry to take away. I spilt some cupcake on my tux, so i put it in the garbage on my sidewalk for the garbage truck to haul away. I'll stick to murrican words with british spelling.SolidSnake35

Fair dinkum.

No one say's traysh unless your a southern yokel. At least in Canada i've never heard that anyway.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Iszdope"]

Fair dinkum.

FrostyPhantasm

No one say's traysh unless your a southern yokel. At least in Canada i've never heard that anyway.

I find most American accents exaggerate the vowel sounds
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] Pretty sure most people in the UK call them buns and not fairy cakes. And most say bin instead of dustbin. Sounds better than traaayysh caaaan.

I wouldn't know besides what i see on tv.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
LOL Daily Mail.
After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] Pretty sure most people in the UK call them buns and not fairy cakes. And most say bin instead of dustbin. Sounds better than traaayysh caaaan.

I've lived in New York, Michigan, Texas, and California. Your wrong from my experience.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Ninja-Hippo
WTF is this article? Cupcake is not an American word. Nobody has said 'fairycake' since the 1920s. 'Smart' is apparently an american word now, as is tuxedo? Daily. Effing. Mail. :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#113 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

LOL Daily Mail. Ninja-Hippo
The daily mail is an anti-British nationalist (I'm not sure how thats possible, but they found a way) sheet of lies that is not fit enough to use as toilet paper. It's what BNP m,embers would read, if they were able to read.

LOL indeed

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#114 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Dustbin lorry?:lol::lol:

Garbage truck makes a lot more sense.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

:lol: Daily mail, though if you actually look at the statistics with most of the words

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]Dustbin lorry? This is a good change if anything. [QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Next, we're going to start working on those units of measurement. LOL kilometres...errr...I mean kilometers LOL.

Super-Mario-Fan

But the imperialism system should die a horrible death.

It won't, thanks to Farenheit (ovens, weather) and yards (American Football).

Football traditionally uses yards but continental Europe still uses metric measurements. Also in the UK we used to use fahrenheit for temperatures and changed, we changed our entire currency over.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 SolidSnake35

topsemag55
How? A dustbin is where you put rubbish. And it's in the form of a lorry. What's this garbage you speak of?
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Iszdope

How? A dustbin is where you put rubbish.

No. A rubbish bin is where you bin rubbish.

Its just a bin, you know 'take out the bins before friday morning', adding 'rubbish' to it is redundant

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

SolidSnake35

How? A dustbin is where you put rubbish. And it's in the form of a lorry. What's this garbage you speak of?

Garbage and trash are synonymous. Dust =/= trash, dust is what a vacuum cleaner takes out of your carpet.:P

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 SolidSnake35

topsemag55

Garbage and trash are synonymous. Dust =/= trash, dust is what a vacuum cleaner takes out of your carpet.:P

Maybe I do put dust in my bin.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

:lol: Daily mail, though if you actually look at the statistics with most of the words[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"] But the imperialism system should die a horrible death.markop2003

Football traditionally uses yards but continental Europe still uses metric measurements. Also in the UK we used to use fahrenheit for temperatures and changed, we changed our entire currency over.

Yeah, it won't happen not because there are actual difficulties in implementing it, but because people over here lose their sh*t if you try to change a lightbulb.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 topsemag55

Maybe I do put dust in my bin.SolidSnake35

I do empty the vacuum cleaner into the trash can, but I could never call it a bin.:P

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Oh my god who cares

I walked into this thread expecting children to be using sh*t like "color" or "flavor", thank god it's just something stupid like this.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#125 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I was kinda surprised to see that garbage, trash can, and candy are all American words that aren't usually used in Britain, though I do think British people usually use the word rubbish instead of garbage.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#126 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts
AMERICAN WORD OCCURRENCESBRITISH WORD OCCURRENCESCandy (1,879)Sweets (2,448)Cupcake (486)Fairy cake (46)Flashlight (99)Torch (2,736)Garbage truck (9)Dustbin lorry (5)Tuxedo (74)Dinner suit (1)Sneakers (38)Trainers (555)Trash can (38)Dustbin (290)Sidewalk (26)Pavement (924)

The odd thing is that this article says that American words are being more commonly used, but it seems that actually a lot of British words are still being used more often. Though I can see why people might find certain American words more appealing than their British counterparts: Tuxedo vs. Dinner Suit, Cupcake vs. Fairy Cake (are they baked by Peter Pan?), Garbage truck vs. Dustbin lorry (can you picture an American man from the hood saying he drives a Dustbin lorry for a job?).

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#127 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I could have told you that years ago. So much stuff here is from America, I don't think I've ever even heard someone under the age of 60 use the word Advertisment correctly

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Lots of butthurt Brits ITT. It's s'okay guys. You can still refer to cupcakes as fairy cakes. :lol:

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Ninja-Hippo
AMERICAN WORD OCCURRENCESBRITISH WORD OCCURRENCESCandy (1,879)Sweets (2,448)Cupcake (486)Fairy cake (46)Flashlight (99)Torch (2,736)Garbage truck (9)Dustbin lorry (5)Tuxedo (74)Dinner suit (1)Sneakers (38)Trainers (555)Trash can (38)Dustbin (290)Sidewalk (26)Pavement (924)

The odd thing is that this article says that American words are being more commonly used, but it seems that actually a lot of British words are still being used more often. Though I can see why people might find certain American words more appealing than their British counterparts: Tuxedo vs. Dinner Suit, Cupcake vs. Fairy Cake (are they baked by Peter Pan?), Garbage truck vs. Dustbin lorry (can you picture an American man from the hood saying he drives a Dustbin lorry for a job?).

whipassmt
The article is ridiculous, feel free to ignore it. Nobody calls cupcakes 'fair cakes'. Unless they were born in 1935. I don't think i've literally ever heard anyone call a cupcake a fairy cake in my life. Nobody calls a garbage truck a 'dustbin lorry' either, nor is 'tuxedo' a magical foreign word for a dinner jacket. Nobody says dustbin either, they just say bin. Overall, that article is ludicrous.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#131 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Ninja-Hippo

Do you seriously call it a 'dustbin lorry'? I don't know a soul who would say that. Is this 1940? I don't call it a garbage truck of course, that's an american term, but 'dustbin' is pretty ancient.

They are called mobile waste transportation platforms.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Yeah, it won't happen not because there are actual difficulties in implementing it, but because people over here lose their sh*t if you try to change a lightbulb.

theone86

I would switch lightbulbs, if compact fluorescents were better than regular bulbs.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

lolololol Daily Mail.

I wouldn't trust that news source at all, its like the British version of Fox news. Half of their stories are about how the Muslims are secretly infiltrating every part of British society and want to ban Christmas.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#134 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Isn't the USA allowed to be anywhere today anyway? In language, media, military.
Secretly we are handing the world to the USA so that they have to do all the work.

theonlylolking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 theonlylolking
Member since 2010 • 152 Posts
I find it kinda funny that so many British singers seem to lose their accent while singing. A few keep it but for the most part even the heaviest British accent disappears. For the longest time i had no idea that Ozzy Osbourne was UK nor that the lead singer of AC/DC was too.Kurushio
So true. I noticed that as well and I wonder if Brits even notice that they sing in the american accent.
theonlylolking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 theonlylolking
Member since 2010 • 152 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]AMERICAN WORD OCCURRENCESBRITISH WORD OCCURRENCESCandy (1,879)Sweets (2,448)Cupcake (486)Fairy cake (46)Flashlight (99)Torch (2,736)Garbage truck (9)Dustbin lorry (5)Tuxedo (74)Dinner suit (1)Sneakers (38)Trainers (555)Trash can (38)Dustbin (290)Sidewalk (26)Pavement (924)

Ninja-Hippo

Of course no ones uses fairy cakes because you have been americanized. The article is ridiculous, feel free to ignore it. Nobody calls cupcakes 'fair cakes'. Unless they were born in 1935. I don't think i've literally ever heard anyone call a cupcake a fairy cake in my life. Nobody calls a garbage truck a 'dustbin lorry' either, nor is 'tuxedo' a magical foreign word for a dinner jacket. Nobody says dustbin either, they just say bin. Overall, that article is ludicrous.

That is because you have been americanized.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#137 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]I find it kinda funny that so many British singers seem to lose their accent while singing. A few keep it but for the most part even the heaviest British accent disappears. For the longest time i had no idea that Ozzy Osbourne was UK nor that the lead singer of AC/DC was too.theonlylolking
So true. I noticed that as well and I wonder if Brits even notice that they sing in the american accent.

It may have something to do with appealing to the biggest market (America).
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Next step is for Brits to take the marbles out of their mouth.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] How? A dustbin is where you put rubbish. And it's in the form of a lorry. What's this garbage you speak of?

Do you seriously call it a 'dustbin lorry'? I don't know a soul who would say that. Is this 1940? I don't call it a garbage truck of course, that's an american term, but 'dustbin' is pretty ancient.

They are called mobile waste transportation platforms.

I do call them dustbin men. I can't think of a time when I've referred to the lorry itself though. We just say to put it in the bin for the dustbin men to take away.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 SolidSnake35

Lots of butthurt Brits ITT. It's s'okay guys. You can still refer to cupcakes as fairy cakes. :lol:

airshocker
I'm not butthurt. I'm just terrified of ever having to use a poor man's English.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

airshocker
I think this thread is more full of Americans who try to get one up on someone at every chance.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#142 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Simply linking an article, a daily mail one at that, and not adding anything. This does not constitute a thread

Overlord93

142 posts and counting. Mad?

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

Simply linking an article, a daily mail one at that, and not adding anything. This does not constitute a thread

Storm_Marine

142 posts and counting. Mad?

infuriated.
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

I say Bin and Bin Lorry, I'm not aware of anyone in Northern Ireland says anything diffrent to that and I call them tea buns or normally just buns.

Done, next question.
I find the words they picked rather hilarious though the ones that arn't being used are hardly the traditional British term and the ones that are the traditional term like sweets has a huge majority in usage compared to the American version.
I dislike American spelling, I don't mind there words too much.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#145 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]Can I get a FVCK YEAH!?!?DarkOfKnight
No. But you can get a FVCK YOU!

only one thing to add to that... Great-Britain-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#146 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

airshocker

Butthurt, lol that coming from a nation that's hated globally is so funny.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I'm not butthurt. I'm just terrified of ever having to use a poor man's English.SolidSnake35

No matter that American English is taught basically all throughout the world, amirite?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Butthurt, lol that coming from a nation that's hated globally is so funny.

OmenUK

Haters gonna' hate, fairy cakes.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="markop2003"]

:lol: Daily mail, though if you actually look at the statistics with most of the words[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]

theone86

Well, I was speaking metaphorically about the act of changing a single lightbulb, not about switching over to CFLs (as in you change something as simple as a lightbulb, which needs to be changed at some point anyways, and people will lose their sh*t). Since you bring it up, though,

"CFLs use one-fifth to one-third the electric power, and last eight to fifteen times longer. A CFL has a higher purchase price than an incandescent lamp, but can save over five times its purchase price in electricity costs over the lamp's lifetime."

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I'm not butthurt. I'm just terrified of ever having to use a poor man's English.airshocker

No matter that American English is taught basically all throughout the world, amirite?

Because you have more influence now. You can thank us that people speak any English at all, though.