After 40 years, interracial marriage flourishing

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xgamer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xgamer82
Member since 2003 • 876 Posts

NEW YORK - The charisma king of the 2008 presidential field. The world's best golfer. The captain of the New York Yankees. Besides superstardom, Barack Obama, Tiger Woods and Derek Jeter have another common bond: Each is the child of an interracial mariage.

For most of U.S. history, in most communities, such unions were taboo.

read complete article at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18090277/  

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
why you quoted that and not the most important bit in the article I'll never know: "More than 7 percent of 59 million unions are between races" which is a good thing
jacintos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 jacintos09
Member since 2007 • 1466 Posts
makes me happy. when i think about the fact that it used to be ILLEGAL to marry someone just because they have different pigments than you, it makes me sick
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts

This is amazing, why it only took us 40 years ...

Its really sad that people there are still people in this world against marrying outside of their own race.  Almost as if other races are inferior or something (which no one is better than the other).

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts

why you quoted that and not the most important bit in the article I'll never know: "More than 7 percent of 59 million unions are between races" which is a good thingnickmag

I fail to see why the color of a person's skin factors into their marriage being a "good thing"....... but to each his own

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
Yay?
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nickmag

[QUOTE="nickmag"]why you quoted that and not the most important bit in the article I'll never know: "More than 7 percent of 59 million unions are between races" which is a good thingSIapshot

I fail to see why the color of a person's skin factors into their marriage being a "good thing"....... but to each his own

it's a good thing that people have free choice and that people can marry whoever they want without fear of prejudice anymore
dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 dremorius20
Member since 2004 • 5743 Posts
ok thanks for the info.
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
I thought the charisma they had in common would be that if they formed a super-child together, it would totally own. That would be one totally sexy, athletic, brilliant child.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
great?
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
Yay! Go mixed people!
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 videogamer456
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="nickmag"]why you quoted that and not the most important bit in the article I'll never know: "More than 7 percent of 59 million unions are between races" which is a good thingnickmag

it's a good thing that people have free choice and that people can marry whoever they want without fear of prejudice anymore

It is a good thing that progress has been made since the Civil Rights Era and de-segregation of public areas, but unfortunately recently we have been taking a step back with what has been going on in the news.
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nickmag
It is a good thing that progress has been made since the Civil Rights Era and de-segregation of public areas, but unfortunately recently we have been taking a step back with what has been going on in the news.videogamer456
I suppose it's like taking two steps forward and one step back, it's a shame we can't learn from past mistakes and so on
lagosboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lagosboy
Member since 2003 • 5161 Posts
More mixed races = more beautiful children.
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SIapshot

Its really sad that people there are still people in this world against marrying outside of their own race.  Almost as if other races are inferior or something (which no one is better than the other).

LiquidZ08

*sigh* I'm going to be busy in this one....

It's not that other ethnicities are inferior, people want their ethnic customs to be carried on to the next generation. This is true of Japanese culture, Irish culture, African culture, Jewish culture, Italian culture, etc.

There isn't one single ethnicity where the majority of marriages are interracial, the majority of marriages within a specific culture are usually to another of the same ethnic background. If you think that it's good for people to marry outside their culture and raise children of mixed cultural background, just consider the loss of cultural identity.

I think that cultural variety is a good thing, but by blending everybody together we are losing that variety.

whoody12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 whoody12
Member since 2004 • 4717 Posts

do they accept Gay marrage already ?

some americans make alot of stupid things look like big problems

Europe, the real continent for world wars and civilisation 8)

MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 MarkSmith
Member since 2002 • 31168 Posts
It seems like black men and white women is starting to become acceptable, but not vice versa.
dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dremorius20
It seems like black men and white women is starting to become acceptable, but not vice versa.MarkSmith
Yeah why? My girl is haitian and I am white...
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SIapshot
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="nickmag"]why you quoted that and not the most important bit in the article I'll never know: "More than 7 percent of 59 million unions are between races" which is a good thingnickmag

Agreed, but why is 7% a good thing? Would 5 be better? or 50%? Freedom is great, but why do you feel that increasing interracial marriage is a good thing? If everybody married whoever they wanted and the percentage was 0, would that still be a good thing?

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts
Blacker the berry sweeter the juice ;). :D
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="LiquidZ08"]

Its really sad that people there are still people in this world against marrying outside of their own race. Almost as if other races are inferior or something (which no one is better than the other).

SIapshot

It's not that other ethnicities are inferior, people want their ethnic customs to be carried on to the next generation. This is true of Japanese culture, Irish culture, African culture, Jewish culture, Italian culture, etc.

There isn't one single ethnicity where the majority of marriages are interracial, the majority of marriages within a specific culture are usually to another of the same ethnic background. If you think that it's good for people to marry outside their culture and raise children of mixed cultural background, just consider the loss of cultural identity.

I think that cultural variety is a good thing, but by blending everybody together we are losing that variety.

The relationship between culture and mixed race is flimsy at best, your conjecturing, show us some proof. I guess it could just be another taste people have but I don't think they have valid cause for their concerns.

On an siede if people want to stay in their own ethinicity then I don't see the problem, it's just a taste, but condeming it for other people is one step too far IMO.

Though I have to agree with the points you made in the lower post about it being hard to seperate out what people want with the actual marriage rate, for all we know this could be 100% of interacial relationships being followed through, how you interpret the information is actually quite open.

videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 videogamer456
[QUOTE="nickmag"][QUOTE="SIapshot"]

[QUOTE="nickmag"]why you quoted that and not the most important bit in the article I'll never know: "More than 7 percent of 59 million unions are between races" which is a good thingSIapshot

Agreed, but why is 7% a good thing? Would 5 be better? or 50%? Freedom is great, but why do you feel that increasing interracial marriage is a good thing? If everybody married whoever they wanted and the percentage was 0, would that still be a good thing?

In our lifetime it will probably increase to somewhere around that number. And when we get roughly to our current parent's age, we will be fighting over other issues like marriage between gay couples of different color.
Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts

Sorry but my great grandparents got  a head start in this in 1900 and my grandparents in 1939.  :lol:

It's good to know that but my family is too mixed even before coming to America.  

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Mixed races are a great thing. They are beauiful people with their own unique look.
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SIapshot
[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="LiquidZ08"]

Its really sad that people there are still people in this world against marrying outside of their own race. Almost as if other races are inferior or something (which no one is better than the other).

Articuno76

The relationship between culture and mixed race is flimsy at best, your conjecturing, show us some proof. I guess it could just be another taste people have but I don't think they have valid cause for their concerns.

On an siede if people want to stay in their own ethinicity then I don't see the problem, it's just a taste, but condeming it for other people is one step too far IMO.

Though I have to agree with the points you made in the lower post about it being hard to seperate out what people want with the actual marriage rate, for all we know this could be 100% of interacial relationships being followed through, how you interpret the information is actually quite open.

There is no conjecture here, the statistics speak for themselves. Intercultural and interracial marriages constitute the minority of unions in all homogenous cultures. Most people would tend to accept that this is the result of preference. (and hence the continuation of said cultures)

I have yet to see a post in this thread condemning interracial marriage.

dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dremorius20
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]OBLOK
yeah don'tsay anything you could regret later...
OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OBLOK
Member since 2004 • 1257 Posts

[QUOTE="OBLOK"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]dremorius20

You have no idea what i said so don't try and cross me as a racist or anything like that you prick =/

I was gonna tell a story about my brother but decided after that OT isn't a good place to tell family stories, so f u. 

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Articuno76

There is no conjecture here, the statistics speak for themselves. Intercultural and interracial marriages constitute the minority of unions in all homogenous cultures. Most people would tend to accept that this is the result of preference. (and hence the continuation of said cultures)SIapshot

Can you prove this is anything beyond coincidence? Or am I reading too much into this in assuming that you meant people "conciously" use same ethiniticity relationships to preserve a cultural idenity? Right now your making a pretty big assumption that ethnicity is tied to the preservation of culture (if it were the case then if the rate of interaccial marriages was quite slow it wouldn't really effect the culture all that much so far as I can see).

dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dremorius20

[QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]OBLOK

You have no idea what i said so don't try and cross me as a racist or anything like that you prick =/

I was gonna tell a story about my brother but decided after that OT isn't a good place to tell family stories, so f u. 

Yeah, your brother's gf too is haitian and he is white?
OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OBLOK
[QUOTE="OBLOK"]

[QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]dremorius20

What? wanna cuss me? i can cuss to. Make sure you choose your words properly before though.
dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dremorius20
[QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"]

[QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]OBLOK

What? wanna cuss me? i can cuss to. Make sure you choose your words properly before though.

Hold on you pretty horses would you? I was only asking if you were gonna talk about white/black marriage and union since my gf is balck and I am white. So by reading, I saw you deleted your post and Then warned you to not say anuthing racist. SInce it doesn't seems so, My most sincere apologies.
dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dremorius20
Still up for a fight?
dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

LiquidZ08

Pretty Much

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
My aunt is white and my uncle is black. Their Next door neighbors have moved away before because they do not support them. People arent as tolerant as you think.
OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OBLOK
Still up for a fight?dremorius20
No, judging by your sig and ava decided that i don't really wanna mess with people as young as you.
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SIapshot
[QUOTE="SIapshot"]

There is no conjecture here, the statistics speak for themselves. Intercultural and interracial marriages constitute the minority of unions in all homogenous cultures. Most people would tend to accept that this is the result of preference. (and hence the continuation of said cultures)Articuno76

Can you prove this is anything beyond coincidence? Or am I reading too much into this in assuming that you meant people "conciously" use same ethiniticity relationships to preserve a cultural idenity? Right now your making a pretty big assumption that ethnicity is tied to the preservation of culture (if it were the case then if the rate of interaccial marriages was quite slow it wouldn't really effect the culture all that much so far as I can see).

It's probably subconscious in most cases, but in nations where different cultures interact with each other on a daily basis you'd have a pretty high rate of interracial marriages if you give any credit to coincidence. Let's say that for every 10 people you meet on the street, 5 of them are of another race. If it was purely coincidence at work here, you'd have a very high interracial marriage rate. Even in America, where we pride ourselves on our huge variety of cultures, the interracial marriage rate is far lower that actual per-capita demographics.

dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dremorius20
[QUOTE="dremorius20"]Still up for a fight?OBLOK
No, judging by your sig and ava decided that i don't really wanna mess with people as young as you.

As young? And how much older than I am Do you think you are? I am 21 in less than a week. And I see nothing wrong with an avatar and a sig of some great cartoons that were on TV back when I was a kid.
OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OBLOK
[QUOTE="OBLOK"][QUOTE="dremorius20"]Still up for a fight?dremorius20

As young? And how much older than I am Do you think you are? I am 21 in less than a week. And I see nothing wrong with an avatar and a sig of some great cartoons that were on TV back when I was a kid.

Oh yeh i shoulda figured that, silly me. I shoulda figured that you liked that sorta stuff seeing as you have 3 naked kids in your blog but each to his own i guess.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Articuno76
[QUOTE="Articuno76"][QUOTE="SIapshot"]

There is no conjecture here, the statistics speak for themselves. Intercultural and interracial marriages constitute the minority of unions in all homogenous cultures. Most people would tend to accept that this is the result of preference. (and hence the continuation of said cultures)SIapshot

It's probably subconscious in most cases, but in nations where different cultures interact with each other on a daily basis you'd have a pretty high rate of interracial marriages if you give any credit to coincidence. Let's say that for every 10 people you meet on the street, 5 of them are of another race. If it was purely coincidence at work here, you'd have a very high interracial marriage rate. Even in America, where we pride ourselves on our huge variety of cultures, the interracial marriage rate is far lower that actual per-capita demographics.

Ok, so we can rule out coincidence, but neither does that rule out that the idea of cultural identityis directing things here (even subconciously),  what about other extraneous factors, like media? We don't see all that much interacial relationships going on there.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Articuno76

[QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"][QUOTE="dremorius20"]Still up for a fight?OBLOK

As young? And how much older than I am Do you think you are? I am 21 in less than a week. And I see nothing wrong with an avatar and a sig of some great cartoons that were on TV back when I was a kid.

Oh yeh i shoulda figured that, silly me. I shoulda figured that you liked that sorta stuff seeing as you have 3 naked kids in your blog but each to his own i guess.

Cut it out, this is going beyond the scope of this topic.

dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dremorius20

[QUOTE="OBLOK"][QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"][QUOTE="dremorius20"]Still up for a fight?Articuno76

He doesn't like funny pics
Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#43 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
This is sick, but it's other people choice and I repect that, doesn't mean I agree with it though.
dremorius20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dremorius20
This is sick, but it's other people choice and I repect that, doesn't mean I agree with it though.Kev_Boy
Don't agree with what? Racism? or interrcial marriage?
OBLOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OBLOK
[QUOTE="Articuno76"]

[QUOTE="OBLOK"][QUOTE="dremorius20"][QUOTE="OBLOK"][QUOTE="dremorius20"]Still up for a fight?dremorius20

He doesn't like funny pics

Well that ended quick, i'm disapointed in you =/

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#46 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Interracial Marriage
Avatar image for deactivated-58e533ed44b01