Abortion: with or against?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I'm okay with abortion. The rules I would personally like to implement about whether or not you can have an abortion are unenforceableand arguably make very little sense when you break them down. Thus it's hard to say some abortion is okay and not others and because of that I am in the women's right to choose camp.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="thegerg"] The evidence does not support your claim that the Constitution defines a person in a certain way. I had never heard that the Constitution defines a person, and I was curious to see how the Constitution defines a person. I am simply saying that the evidence you provided does not support your claim. I am not nitpicking, I am simply letting you know that your claim is not supported by the evidence you provided.thegerg
Different interpretations of the constitution leads to different opinions. Although its really shouldnt be that way since the opinion of the court was clear. It clearly showed that the constitution does not define a fetus as a person. The justice clearly stated the sections in the constitution on how a person was defined in the constitution and you just dismissed his majority opinion. Unless your can provide me with new details on this is contradictory, it stands. The constitution does not describe (or define) persons in a pre natal forn.

Once again, the Constitution does not define a person. You have now stated that "The justice clearly stated the sections in the constitution on how a person was defined." That is simply untrue. The Constitution describes persons in a number of ways, but it does not define a person. It does not define persons in a pre-natal form, nor does it define persons in a post-natal form. Look at it like this. I can describe a cellphone in a number of ways. For example, (using my phone as an example) black, about 5 inches long by 3 wide by 1/2 deep, it is black with a screen on one side, it has a slide-out keyboard. I have desrcibed a cellphone, but I have not defined a cellphone. The words "define" and "describe" mean 2 very different things and are not to be used interchangeably, doing so hinders your argument.

He cites word for word from the constitution on how a person is described (or defined if you want to nitpick). Every form of a person in the constitution has been in a post natal form. No where in the constitution has a person been described (or defined if, again, you want to nitpick) in a pre natal form. Now you're just blatantly ignoring sections of the constitution if you actually believe in your post.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Once again, the Constitution does not define a person. You have now stated that "The justice clearly stated the sections in the constitution on how a person was defined." That is simply untrue. The Constitution describes persons in a number of ways, but it does not define a person. It does not define persons in a pre-natal form, nor does it define persons in a post-natal form. Look at it like this. I can describe a cellphone in a number of ways. For example, (using my phone as an example) black, about 5 inches long by 3 wide by 1/2 deep, it is black with a screen on one side, it has a slide-out keyboard. I have desrcibed a cellphone, but I have not defined a cellphone. The words "define" and "describe" mean 2 very different things and are not to be used interchangeably, doing so hinders your argument.thegerg

He cites word for word from the constitution on how a person is described (or defined if you want to nitpick). Every form of a person in the constitution has been in a post natal form. No where in the constitution has a person been described (or defined if, again, you want to nitpick) in a pre natal form. Now you're just blatantly ignoring sections of the constitution if you actually believe in your post.

I am ignoring nothing. Again, the words "define" and "describe" mean 2 very different things and are not to be used interchangeably. The constitution describes persons, it does not define persons.

*Sigh* They're synonyms you know. So yes, they can be used interchangebly. You know you lost an arguement when you nitpick at words used.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
Abortion is wrong but it is easy for me to say that since I am a guy and I do not have to go through child birth/carrying.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#109 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
I'm not for it, but I believe it's up to the woman to decide. Though I think it should be illegal at a certain point in the pregnancy.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Not a fan.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

I'm not against abortions unless they're incredibly late into the women's pregnancy (unless it's for health reasons). However I'm not for abortions for this "women's" right to choose crap. If it takes a man and a woman to make a baby, than the man should at least have some say.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#112 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Against. Abortion is murder.

Avatar image for deactivated-58df4522915cb
deactivated-58df4522915cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 deactivated-58df4522915cb
Member since 2007 • 5527 Posts

I think its murder, plain and simple. not to mention the fact that its completely pointless in society.

here is why i think its bad:

1) there are alot of well-off and successful couples who want children but cant have them due to medical reasons. If you dont want your baby because you cant support him/her, then why not have the baby and give him/her to one of the many couples out there and give him/her a shot at a good life with alot of opportunities?

2) If the baby was concieved out of rape, then why not refer to #1 above? its not his fault that he was concieved in such a horrific way, neither is it the woman's fault. Everyone deserves the same chance at life.

3) Its MURDER. You are denying a human being the right to life. that is, by literal definition, what murder is. plus, its a freaking baby! your killing a HUMAN BABY. I cant be clearer than that

4) you could make the argument that its the womans "choice" or "right," but the same could be said for a serial killer if that were the case. what i mean by this is, "Everyone has freedom of choice! therefore, that woman has the right to abort her baby if she doesnt want it!" sounds alot like "Everyone has freedom of choice! therefore, that serial killer has the right to murder all those people!" to me IMO.

besides, if we are throwing freedom of choice into this, do you think the human baby had a choice when you aborted him/her?

btw, the irony of abortion and capital punishment laws just astounds me

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i am for it. Abortion for all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-58df4522915cb

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"] Its MURDER. You are denying a human being the right to life. that is, by literal definition, what murder is. thegerg
No. That is not "by literal definition" what murder is. You seem to be confused. Murder is, fundementally, an unlaful killing of one living human being with another with malice aforethought. A legal abortion is not murder.

bull. your still killing a living human being. it doesnt matter if malice is intended or not. its still killing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-58df4522915cb

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] No. That is not "by literal definition" what murder is. You seem to be confused. Murder is, fundementally, an unlaful killing of one living human being with another with malice aforethought. A legal abortion is not murder.thegerg

bull. your still killing a living human being. it doesnt matter if malice is intended or not. its still killing

You may be right, it may be killing. However, an unborn fetus does not fit the legal description of a living person. It is not bull, it is law.

if it has a heartbeat it does!

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
The right to Life is the ultimate human right, and the denial of life is the ultimate violation of human rights.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-58df4522915cb

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You may be right, it may be killing. However, an unborn fetus does not fit the legal description of a living person. It is not bull, it is law.thegerg

No, it doesn't. You seem to be confused as to the legal definition of a human person. Please do some research before posting again.

I have actually. human fetuses have been recorded to have heartbeats as early as several weeks (22 days to be exact) in the womb. ergo, the human baby is alive at this point. whether he/she has intelligence is still up in the air however, but im not ruling it out that the baby could possibly think. therefore, my point stands. if it is POSSIBLE that the baby could have intelligence, then the baby is concidered alive to me

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#124 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16007 Posts

In most cases I oppose it. The Qur'an says a few things that have lead me to believe that God has a plan for a baby's life. I think it's OK to abort it if the mother's health is at a serious risk, though.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
They can put the babies to sleep after they are born for all I care. The babies don't know anything, they won't feel any pain and it will save us all some extra taxes. Being against abortion is ridiculous though, I've never put any of my sperm to use (well as far as I know) and every ejaculation is what... like 500 million sperm or something? They are all as conscious as a baby that's only a few weeks old or probably even a few months old. Stop raising my taxes and overpopulating my Earth with your nonsensical bible crap. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the result of a rape ie. probably the worst thing to ever happen to my mother. I'd rather the sperm be from someone with half a conscience.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Against it, but strangely for Stem Cell but I would never want both to be together, just think of the foul industry that would be created with all those fetuses aborted for it specifically

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts

When has this conversation on a forum or in any casual setting EVER ended well? This doesn't end with backslapping and hugs, mutual understanding and common ground; this ends badly, each time, every time.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts

In most cases I oppose it. The Qur'an says a few things that have lead me to believe that God has a plan for a baby's life. I think it's OK to abort it if the mother's health is at a serious risk, though.

dracula_16
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Islam, Allah is a deterministic deity, right? Nothing happens except as a result of god's will (aka, insha'allah), AFAIK (and no I'm not Muslim) so any human event, positive or negative in light of our own views is god's will according to your beliefs. Given that, if a Allah has a plan for a baby's life, it will be fulfilled, and if not, then not. Is this overly fatalistic, because in my experience what I described is an accurate representation.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

Neo-ganon

No, it doesn't. You seem to be confused as to the legal definition of a human person. Please do some research before posting again.

I have actually. human fetuses have been recorded to have heartbeats as early as several weeks (22 days to be exact) in the womb. ergo, the human baby is alive at this point. whether he/she has intelligence is still up in the air however, but im not ruling it out that the baby could possibly think. therefore, my point stands. if it is POSSIBLE that the baby could have intelligence, then the baby is concidered alive to me

Legally a fetus is not a human.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 deactivated-58df4522915cb

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] No, it doesn't. You seem to be confused as to the legal definition of a human person. Please do some research before posting again.Ace6301

yeah, but does that mean that it really isnt? "legally" is just a title, it doesnt mean its set in stone. besides, if that were the case, then its going to be a human eventually, which is something you would prevent by killing the baby and denying it life

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#131 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I'm for abortion....
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

Neo-ganon

yeah, but does that mean that it really isnt? "legally" is just a title, it doesnt mean its set in stone. besides, if that were the case, then its going to be a human eventually, which is something you would prevent by killing the baby and denying it life

I've denied millions of lives on many a lonely night.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Generally against. The state should sanction killing in very few circumstances.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

2) If the baby was concieved out of rape, then why not refer to #1 above? its not his fault that he was concieved in such a horrific way, neither is it the woman's fault. Everyone deserves the same chance at life.

Neo-ganon

ah, but is it really right of society to expect a woman to have a constant reminder of such a traumatic experience for 9 months straight? Personally I don't think so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-58df4522915cb

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

Serraph105

ah, but is it really right of society to expect a woman to have a constant reminder of such a traumatic experience for 9 months straight? Personally I don't think so.

they have psychological groups for that

but then again you have a point though. im kinda on the fence about the rape issue

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#136 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16007 Posts

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Frame_Dragger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Islam, Allah is a deterministic deity, right? Nothing happens except as a result of god's will (aka, insha'allah), AFAIK (and no I'm not Muslim) so any human event, positive or negative in light of our own views is god's will according to your beliefs. Given that, if a Allah has a plan for a baby's life, it will be fulfilled, and if not, then not. Is this overly fatalistic, because in my experience what I described is an accurate representation.

Well, we don't believe that He causes all things to happen, because if that were true, He would be the one who causes people to sin, making him a cruel tyrant. He allows things like abortion to happen, but that doesn't mean it's a kin to a puppet master controlling his puppets by forcing people to abort their fetuses. When I said that He has a plan for a baby's life, I meant that His message of salvation is open to all of humanity. Even though a baby doesn't understand what a relationship with God is, the human being, once it gets old enough to understand, is welcome to choose the path of Islam. His plan is for that person to live by Islam.

I've heard that some hadiths [our oral traditions] say that all babies are born sinless and are in a state of Islam, meaning that if the baby dies, it will go to Paradise. I've never come across this hadith personally, so I don't have a source, unfortunately. Sorry if that's a little convoluted-- it's difficult for me to explain. It was a great question, though. Thank you for asking it.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
People should be allowed to have abortions. I don't even see why somebody would be against, if you don't want an abortion, nobody is forcing you.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I support the womens right to decide.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

Serraph105

Human life vs 9 months of traumatic experience.

Why should the baby be further punished?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Ace6301

Neo-ganon

Potential of life is not life. If you're issue is with denying a potential life then I suggest you also take up arms against all fertile women and men who masturbate (read almost every single person). It's not a case of it's legality leading the classification but of classification leading legality. A fetus is not a human being. It doesn't think. It doesn't feel. It is no more a single sentient being than any other cluster of cells. It simply has the potential to be life. Off-topic: I'd really like to see a poll one day of how many people are pro-life but also pro-capital punishment and pro-war.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-58df4522915cb

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Legally a fetus is not a human.Ace6301

Potential of life is not life. If you're issue is with denying a potential life then I suggest you also take up arms against all fertile women and men who masturbate (read almost every single person). It's not a case of it's legality leading the classification but of classification leading legality. A fetus is not a human being. It doesn't think. It doesn't feel. It is no more a single sentient being than any other cluster of cells. It simply has the potential to be life. Off-topic: I'd really like to see a poll one day of how many people are pro-life but also pro-capital punishment and pro-war.

im pro-life and pro-capital punishment! ha!

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#142 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Neo-ganon

im pro-life and pro-capital punishment! ha!

personally pro-life, and while not a huge proponent i am for pro-capital punishment. don't think anyone is pro-war. but i am not gonna be against war provided there is a real and clear casus bellum.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

Consider what's essentially wrong with killing an adult. Why is it wrong? Why is it wrong to them individual themselves? Killing someone takes away their future, their ambitions, their plans, etc. If this is enough to say why murdering is wrong, then it follows for children, and feotus' too. It is argued to be from the fetilisation of the egg. This begins the process of a human being, thus any prevention of something set in motion and trying to develop into a human adult is murder.

This skips the argument of "potential of life is not life", since we are considering "future like ours" instead. You can look this up to find the finer details of the argument, I just gave a general outline.

Dunno if I buy the argument, but it's there nonetheless, and it's quite compelling.

- It's argued by Don Marquis

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

That's a ridiculous definition of 'alive'. If a virus is capable of straddling the checklist for life, then a foetus is certainly alive. Whether it has a right to life is another matter.
Mephers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145 Mephers
Member since 2010 • 720 Posts
Still cant believe weve fallen so far that we even have to debate if murder is right or wrong.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Ace6301

trugs26

Consider what's essentially wrong with killing an adult. Why is it wrong? Why is it wrong to them individual themselves? Killing someone takes away their future, their ambitions, their plans, etc. If this is enough to say why murdering is wrong, then it follows for children, and feotus' too. It is argued to be from the fetilisation of the egg. This begins the process of a human being, thus any prevention of something set in motion and trying to develop into a human adult is murder.

This skips the argument of "potential of life is not life", since we are considering "future like ours" instead. You can look this up to find the finer details of the argument, I just gave a general outline.

Dunno if I buy the argument, but it's there nonetheless, and it's quite compelling.

- It's argued by Don Marquis

Killing an adult is wrong because you're destroying an investment just as much as you're killing potential. You're destroying lives not just a life. You're destroying more than just that person. Your argument fails to skip the potential of human life as a fetus is not a human. That's an argument from a financial and biological standpoint. Arguing from a legal standpoint is moot. Abortion should be legal in the US according to it's own laws. The only argument for a fetus is an emotive one and frankly those don't work. In case you haven't realized I'm playing devils advocate. I do support a woman's right to choose but with stipulations. I don't however view a fetus as a human during the first trimester. At that point it comes nothing close to resembling a human and if you can't decide for 3 months than frankly you're not willing to get rid of it. The mother should be the one to declare the potential of the child, not someone who will never interact with the biproduct of the argument. "Still cant believe weve fallen so far that we even have to debate if murder is right or wrong." Sure hope you're anti-capital punishment and vehemently anti-war or else you've got some serious cognitive dissonance going on.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
I'm with abortion, but I don't support doing it. It's a fairly selfish thing to do. Obviously it's something you should do if it's for health reason, or rape (Depending on age). Or something like that. But the option should still be there. As for abortion being "Murder"... It depends on what you classify as murder. A fetus, especially in it's early stages isn't exactly intelligent life. We kill animals, which are normally more intelligent than human fetuses, so that we humans can eat meat. And we do it all the time. Is it right? Dunno, but it's just the way the "Circle of Life" was "Built", and it isn't going to change. Abortion in some situations is similar. Sometimes the woman will need to go through with it in order to live. Sure, it's potential life, but maybe that's the way it needs to be. Here is a much better way to decide if abortion is "Right" or not. If you were a fetus, and somehow were able to make a choice, would you sacrifice yourself for the person carrying you? Remember that you don't know anything about the world. You currently have no true sense of feeling, you have no connection to anyone, and no one has any connection to you (Besides maybe the mother in a literal sense). Your "Life" has yet to mean anything. You don't know what your life could be like, but the mother, who may be young, does have something to live for currently, and has their plans/amibtions, and those people that she does already know. Answer that question, and maybe you'll know your answer on it. However, if it's just because you don't want the baby, then you're being pretty selfish, but it's still your choice. Even if it's illegal, women are going to do it anyway, in a much more dangerous way. Personally I don't consider it murder. I consider it... "Abortion" (Derp). I suppose if it's illegal it may technically be considered murder, but if it is not, it is not technically murder. Either way it is killing, how important what you're killing is during the time of it's death is debatable and entirely based on your philosophy. Still should be legal though, just safer for everyone, because people have them when illegal anyway. TL;DR, abortion is going to happen period if a woman wants it, legal or not. This is the world we live in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I am against abortion, both morally and legally, even if the mother's life is at risk (no one should kill someone innocent to survive). An embryo, no matter how undeveloped it may seem to a born baby, is biologically alive since it's animated amtter and is biologically human since it's the offspring of a human. Many pro-choicers spout nonsense such as the embryo is part of the mother's body, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Since when does a mother possess 92 chromosomes and eventually exhibit two brains, four kidneys, and on some occassions male genitalia for just a matter of six months or so? Am embryo has its own identity, separate from the mother. Therefore, every human being possesses the right to life from conception.

[QUOTE="Mephers"]Still cant believe weve fallen so far that we even have to debate if murder is right or wrong. cheese_game619

lol lrn2science

Why don't you post scientific facts then if you're so smart?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
"Still cant believe weve fallen so far that we even have to debate if murder is right or wrong." Sure hope you're anti-capital punishment and vehemently anti-war or else you've got some serious cognitive dissonance going on.Ace6301
No cognitive dissonance. Capital punishment is justice, as it's the ultimate punishment for the ultimate crime. War is necessary to protect peaceful countries.