7 foot tall statue of Satan at OK capitol?

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@musicalmac said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

If the government decides to erect a Judeo-Christian statue yet denie permits to others, then yes we totally are.

If you actively choose to ignore every other factor in the decision and openly cherry-pick what you want to make an issue of, then yes it's perhaps an issue of favoritism. But that's not reality, it's engineered reality.

Unless you choose to objectively analyze all factors surrounding the issue, anything you would say about the issue is irrelevant because it's not based in the reality of the situation. You are actively choosing to remove all merit from your contributions on the matter.

I choose to reject your assertion that their motivations should be the contributing reason to the validity of erecting these statues because I find it absurd. It shouldn't matter if these groups came to the government with pure or good intentions as compared to making it a publicity stunt. The fact that you deny that any favoritism in this matter is even more hilarious. Take a look at the rhetoric coming from the politicians defending the 10 commandments, its anything but impartial.

The fact that they may be totally trolling the Christians with this stunt is entirely irrelevant as to whether or not we should allow these type of symbols to be placed on government property. Arguing about the motivations and intents of the groups is simply a Red Herring.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Personally I think this rendition would've been the best:

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

@Trail_Mix said:

7 foot tall Hercule...!

:O

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I would like to know the reasons why they wont allowed it.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#105 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@musicalmac said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

If the government decides to erect a Judeo-Christian statue yet denie permits to others, then yes we totally are.

If you actively choose to ignore every other factor in the decision and openly cherry-pick what you want to make an issue of, then yes it's perhaps an issue of favoritism. But that's not reality, it's engineered reality.

Unless you choose to objectively analyze all factors surrounding the issue, anything you would say about the issue is irrelevant because it's not based in the reality of the situation. You are actively choosing to remove all merit from your contributions on the matter.

I choose to reject your assertion that their motivations should be the contributing reason to the validity of erecting these statues because I find it absurd. It shouldn't matter if these groups came to the government with pure or good intentions as compared to making it a publicity stunt. The fact that you deny that any favoritism in this matter is even more hilarious. Take a look at the rhetoric coming from the politicians defending the 10 commandments, its anything but impartial.

The fact that they may be totally trolling the Christians with this stunt is entirely irrelevant as to whether or not we should allow these type of symbols to be placed on government property. Arguing about the motivations and intents of the groups is simply a Red Herring.

I'm not looking at political rhetoric, leaning on religious sentiment, or arguing the validity of religious structures on government property. I'm making the point that one group wants a statue because another group has one in a move clearly motivated by the desire to disrupt as much as possible the situation.

You are not discussing the same thing I am discussing, which is what this thread is about. What you are talking about isn't relevant to this specific instance. If all you care to say is that no statues of any religious significance should be on government property, that's fine, but it's also not relevant here. There is already one statue, and the only relevant argument that can be made is that it should be torn down and that this structure proposed by the Satanic Temple should never materialize.

Is that what you are saying?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol, get a real god satanists.

that mufakka has hardly killed anyone.

he only has lots kids under his belt and even then it was jobs shytty carpentry that did it and satan was all, "that was me that killed them 10 kids!" but really we all know he just lied about it to look good in front of god.

how am i supposed to respect a god that has not killed millions?

get back to me when old scratch has wiped out a city or two or caused some boils or something.

maybe then i can throw some praise his way.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@musicalmac said:

@wis3boi: I feel like there are bits of that story that are missing. That doesn't make sense to me. Why did the school have a ban on sending home religious fliers? Had that been an issue in the past? What age range are we talking about? What motivated the pagan group to send fliers home?

Too many questions to make any reasonable conclusions. I'm not ready to conclude that it was simple hypocrisy oh the part of the Christian parents. That seems like a lazy conclusion based on the available information.

separation of church and state. School is state property and funded, you cannot have religious things sent out, sponsored by, or hosted by the school

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

@Brain_Duster said:

@Trail_Mix said:

7 foot tall Hercule...!

Hercule?? Thats Mr. Satan.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 HoolaHoopMan

@musicalmac said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

You are not discussing the same thing I am discussing, which is what this thread is about. What you are talking about isn't relevant to this specific instance. If all you care to say is that no statues of any religious significance should be on government property, that's fine, but it's also not relevant here. There is already one statue, and the only relevant argument that can be made is that it should be torn down and that this structure proposed by the Satanic Temple should never materialize.

Is that what you are saying?

This thread can be whatever you make it out to be, hell I created it. On its surface the article cam simply be viewed as some Satanists vying for attention but the overarching theme is about more than that. The main point of this story, as far as I'm concerned, is whether or not its appropriate for the government to sanction religious statues its property.

As for the bolded, its incredibly relevant here as its one of the primary reasons why the ACLU currently has a pending lawsuit due to the commandments being on government property.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Brain_Duster

@Samurai_Xavier said:

@Brain_Duster said:

@Trail_Mix said:

7 foot tall Hercule...!

So, he doesn't have a first name?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Hmn, I want a Flying Spaghetti Monster statue in front of our town hall. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

@toast_burner said:

Satanists have as much rights as Christians. Freedom of religion, get used to it.

Satanists are actually more rational than Christians.

The existence of a loving God has been debunked over and over again already but the existence of some evil being (like Satan) who rules over this world has been never debunked.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#114 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@pariah3 said:

@toast_burner said:

Satanists have as much rights as Christians. Freedom of religion, get used to it.

The existence of a loving God has been debunked over and over again already but the existence of some evil being (like Satan) who rules over this world has been never debunked.

I think you need to read up on what the Satanic Temple believes...

Also Satan's existence can be as easily dismissed as God's.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@Brain_Duster said:

@Samurai_Xavier said:

@Brain_Duster said:

@Trail_Mix said:

7 foot tall Hercule...!

So, he doesn't have a first name?

My bologna has a first name, it's S-A-T-A-N. . .

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Brain_Duster

@pariah3 said:

@toast_burner said:

That's just dumb.

Neither idea is rational. At all.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 HoolaHoopMan

@chaplainDMK said:

Hmn, I want a Flying Spaghetti Monster statue in front of our town hall. :D

I believe there is also a pending application for the FLying Spaghetti monster as well. However they've put a moratorium on it.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#118 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

Good for them The whole point seems to be they are pointing out the hipocricy of how people are fine with a 10 commandment s monument on the state capital but object to a religious monument from a religion they don't like. There should be no monuments to any religion on government property. Separation of church and state people.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@lazyhoboguy said:

Good for them The whole point seems to be they are pointing out the hipocricy of how people are fine with a 10 commandment s monument on the state capital but object to a religious monument from a religion they don't like. There should be no monuments to any religion on government property. Separation of church and state people.

Well it's either they say none or they have to be open to any that apply

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I must admit I laughed pretty hard, but only because I know a few people where I live who were all up in arms because they took a couple of crosses down from a public place sometime last year. I wonder what their stance is on this. Perhaps I'll ask them.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

It's immature and will never be allowed at the capitol.

Obviously it won't be approved. They even mentioned that a moratorium has been placed on the issue for new entries. I don't think that's the point they're trying make though (although they could be dead serious and in that case lol). Some Christians will probably see this as ridicule or trolling when in reality its merely trying to expose a double standard.

What double standard? Christian ethics and the Ten Commandants have influenced English Common Law, which is the system U.S. law is based on. This is why the TC are outside more than one courthouse in the U.S. Not Jesus, not Moses, just the TC.

I have no idea where this argument of "we now need to have a statue to every religion to be fair!" came from. Having the TC outside of a court house is not an excessive governmental entanglement with religion nor a sign of favoring.

What commandments are actually laws in the US? 2? Stealing and murdering?

The entire point is that the 10 commandments statue is purely religious in nature, hell it looks like they even knew this hence their bracing for lawsuits. Point being that it shouldn't be there in the first place.

and on it not favoring a religion. Are you kidding me? The 10 commandments are purely symbols from the Bible and Torah. The Supreme Court found the display of the 10 commandments at a court house unconstitutional with McCeary County vs ACLU back in 2005 for violating the establishment clause.

I mean for crying out loud look at the first four commandments. They're all purely religious in nature.

I had typed up a much longer response but my computer blue screened before I could submit it. Grrrrrrr

Quoting the Supreme Court is useless since their views changes with whoever is on the bench. In fact they ruled that the Ten Commandments were allowed to stand at another court house on the same day as the case you cited. Their opinion is far from infallible.

Again, having the TC on the court lawn does not favor/sponsor/force one religion over another. Because of their historical significance the TC have a valid secular purpose. This is not the same as say, force prayer in school.

I feel that the modern interpretation of the first amendment has become anti-religious, as in the government can have nothing to do with faith. I don't think that was ever its intended purpose.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

You can't beat Jesus. Never.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

toast_burner is a moron

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#124 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@mindstorm said:

I'm fine with people of every religion expressing their religious views however they see fit. However, having a "New York-based" group do so in a place they do not even live is a little odd. Sure, let minority views express themselves freely. However, doing so with the sole intention be to upset people of other viewpoints is a bit much (mind you, I hold fellow Christians to the same standard).

What makes you think they are doing it to upset people? It's quite obviously a statement on freedom of religion. Only an intolerant bigot would be offended because if you think rationally about it, there's nothing offensive about it.

I'm neither for or against it but because of the demographic, A Satan statue in the middle of OK makes no sense. That'd be like a Nazi statue in the middle of Jewland. No racial slurs or insults intended.

@Judas_ said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Love this gem of a quote from the article: "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

That Bible Belt mentality..................

Pretty much what was said is "I think we should be tolerant of people who think different than us but we wont."