5 majors you shouldn't have

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Meh, I majored in music and am doing just fine for myself, as are most of the people who graduated with me.  Ultimately, it's what you do with the education after you get out that matters, and contrary to what the uninformed stereotypers would have you believe, you aren't doomed to a career in the food service industry if you study the arts.  You may not end up working in exactly the area from which you graduated, but if you pursued the arts, it's unlikely you were doing so just for the money.  If you were, then you were in the wrong field.

For the record, people in my field could not maintain professional standards of performance if they relegated their pursuits to hobby status.  I've heard plenty of good amateur players in my time, but they're no match for professional cIassical performers, because they can't commit to more than an hour or two of practice per day.  The same holds true for most arts.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] No one can do anything with any degree by itself. WTF are you on about?thegerg

smh

You seem to be making the mistake that many others do in thinking that one is limited by their degree to working in a specific field. One of the great things about a liberal arts education is that it introduces a person to a wide field of study. My girlfriend, for example has a biology degree, but thanks to her liberal arts education she was introduced to things that let her be successful in her current aerospace job.

Many are unable to grasp this simple concept.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Meh, I majored in music and am doing just fine for myself, as are most of the people who graduated with me.  Ultimately, it's what you do with the education after you get out that matters, and contrary to what the uninformed stereotypers would have you believe, you aren't doomed to a career in the food service industry if you study the arts.  You may not end up working in exactly the area from which you graduated, but if you pursued the arts, it's unlikely you were doing so just for the money.  If you were, then you were in the wrong field.

For the record, people in my field could not maintain professional standards of performance if they relegated their pursuits to hobby status.  I've heard plenty of good amateur players in my time, but they're no match for professional cIassical performers, because they can't commit to more than an hour or two of practice per day.  The same holds true for most arts.

pianist
I think instead of saying majors you shouldn't have.. It should be... Bad majors to have if you're lazy.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="pianist"]

The_Lipscomb

I think instead of saying majors you shouldn't have.. It should be... Bad majors to have if you're lazy.

Agreed.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life.

A parent should also be realistic and not just let their kid waste years of their life and tens/hundreds of thousands on a waste of a degree. This is not some fantasy world we are in a time where people with BA degrees are competing for 20-25k jobs Edit: I remember a sports reporter who teaches at college showing people how unrealistic a "fun" job like sports journalism is for a high paying job. Those types of jobs pay alot of times min wage and you wont get on espn anytime soon