5 majors you shouldn't have

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/beware_these_five_majors.htm?kid=1O0V3

I think at least 4 of those majors should just be eliminated.

They're just gonna create somebody living in poverty with 100,000 dollars of debt.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Good, so glad I received my bachelors in Arts and Sciences with a Major in Philosophy just a few days ago. Although to be fair I'm going back to school to receive a degree in history and education.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life.

Well a parent should also give advice to their kids so they don't spend 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars on a worthless degree.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MakeMeaSammitch

I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. Fightingfan
neither does somebody with a degree in philosophy.

real world.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Those are 5 majors you shouldn't have unless you're good at what you do.

I know people that recently graduated in all of those fields and are gainfully employed (well the philosophy major is in lawschool at the university of virginia, so I'm sure she'll be employeed when she graduates)

Sure if you dive into those majors with no plans and you don't make connections and do internships you're f*cked, but that's true with most majors these days. 

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
I was sitting there like "Don't say writing, don't say writing...".
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MakeMeaSammitch

I know people that recently graduated in all of those fields and are gainfully employed (well the philosophy major is in lawschool at the university of virginia, so I'm sure she'll be employeed when she graduates)

Sure if you dive into those majors with no plans and you don't make connections and do internships you're f*cked, but that's true with most majors these days. 

Guybrush_3

eh, lawschool is one thing, graduating with a degree in philosophy by itself will have you working at mcdonalds.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Yahoo throws out these "worst majors" and "best majors" articles at least twice a month and there are always different majors in them.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. Person0
Well a parent should also give advice to their kids so they don't spend 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars on a worthless degree.

Sounds like most college degrees at the moment given the unemployment rate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. Fightingfan

Sounds like more college degrees at the moment given the unemployment rate.

A college degree definitely helps.

Unemployment-rate-by-education-4-year-co

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

What I find funny is that #2 on the most profitable list is education, and at the same time the quality of education is nose-diving.  All the while philosophers have been discussing, among other things, theories of education that have proven worthwhile and yet fail to be implemented in American schools.  Price is not the same thing as value, if it were then high-salaried jobs would be getting better results.

In fact, I think it's a sad fact of our society that every other profession on the most profitable list has to do with finances, nothing really matters anymore except making a buck.  There are plenty of other things that can have value without being monetarily valuable, like art, for instance, or priceless archeological artifacts or nature that's being overrun by this profit-first mentality, but we can't make a direct profit off of that so it's worthless.  Modern philosophy has been passed down since the time of the Greeks, from Thales to Socrates to Cicero to Descartes to Locke to Hume to Kant to Hegel to Nietzsche to Sartre to Russell to Quine, spanning centuries and civilizations, and there's no profit in it so it's worthless.  The alienation of man from his species-being, those words never rang truer.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 theone86

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. Person0

I think that speaks more to the outrageous cost of college education than it does to any specific major in itself.  

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

MakeMeaSammitch

eh, lawschool is one thing, graduating with a degree in philosophy by itself will have you working at mcdonalds.

Work on the logic a little, if getting a B.A in philosophy is good enough for law school, then why is it any different than "a degree in philosophy by itself"? What about people who are at college and don't know what they want to do with their lives? Philosophy can act as a great means to an end if they can apply what they learned in school to find a job they enjoy, or a field they enjoy? You are thinking a little narrow minded.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. MakeMeaSammitch

real world.

my cousin is a philospher and psychologist, he works at a children's hospital and writes books.  Right out of college

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm currently at the end of my second year of college and this is why I'm still undecided on a major. All the office jobs require dealing with finances, accounting, administration, that kind of thing - those classes are so boring I have trouble even staying awake in them. Meanwhile, classes like film or philosophy are MUCH more interesting but just don't seem like a good career choice. 

Ugh, I really hate this. 

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Started music major, now double majoring in that and accounting. Seems to be an okay plan, apart from not graduating on time.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. wis3boi

real world.

my cousin is a philospher and psychologist, he works at a children's hospital and writes books.  Right out of college

rare exception.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

Zlurodirom

Work on the logic a little, if getting a B.A in philosophy is good enough for law school, then why is it any different than "a degree in philosophy by itself"? What about people who are at college and don't know what they want to do with their lives? Philosophy can act as a great means to an end if they can apply what they learned in school to find a job they enjoy, or a field they enjoy? You are thinking a little narrow minded.

They're not gonna be able to get a decent job to apply it though.

Unless you count fast food.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Elementary education isn't a good one right now. It's largely regional as well, as opposed to a more general degree like Finance. Architecture is major with high-paying career opportunities that currently isn't doing so hot, but I'd rather study that than pretty much any other major on the list.

I'm a Computer Science major though, so finding a potential career post-college won't be too hard. 

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]eh, lawschool is one thing, graduating with a degree in philosophy by itself will have you working at mcdonalds.

MakeMeaSammitch

I realized I know another philosophy major that works as a technical writer. That's certainly better than working at McDonnalds, and UV is the #7 law school in the US with an acceptance rate of 4.3%. It's no joke.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Guybrush_3
I still have no idea what I want to major in. Right now in College All I ever feel like taking is acting classes.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Im majoring in philosophy when I transfer to a 4 year college. Im gonna go to law school with philosophy. I bet I could make a good living on the major alone. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Im majoring in philosophy when I transfer to a 4 year college. Im gonna go to law school with philosophy. I bet I could make a good living on the major alone. 

slipknot0129
Sure you could, but you are definitely hurting your chances with that degree.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

MakeMeaSammitch

I know two people who graduated with a philosophy degree last year, one is going to Law school at Columbia, one is working fast food because he doesn't know what to do with his life. If we're going to generalize like you, I would say a 50% rate of going to law school with a philosophy degree is pretty decent. Are you jealous of these people going to school to learn to think?

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I always find these articles ironic considering how many sectors don't give a flying f*ck about your bachelor's degree. Unless you're following a relatively specific career path (and even then you might need to catch a couple of breaks to land a suitable job), a degree in philosophy is going to get you just as far as a degree in something like economics.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

Zlurodirom

I know two people who graduated with a philosophy degree last year, one is going to Law school at Columbia, one is working fast food because he doesn't know what to do with his life. If we're going to generalize like you, I would say a 50% rate of going to law school with a philosophy degree is pretty decent. Are you jealous of these people going to school to learn to think?

people keep bringing up law school with a phylosophy degree.

it's one thing to go to grad school with it, but the degree by itself is pretty useless.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

All of those are rather subjective, and only truly apply if used in their pure form.

When adapted to the job market they can be quite fruitful.

Examples:

Fine Art => Digital Graphic artist

Film/video => promotional videographer

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. wis3boi

real world.

Do you mean grad school? Because if he only has a bachelors in psychology, that doesn't make him a psychologist. Also, if he has a degree in philosophy, does that automatically make him a philosopher?

mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

They're just gonna create somebody living in poverty with 100,000 dollars of debt.

MakeMeaSammitch
you're right, architecture should be banned. i hate buildings.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]neither does somebody with a degree in philosophy.

real world.

StrifeDelivery

Do you mean grad school? Because if he only has a bachelors in psychology, that doesn't make him a psychologist. Also, if he has a degree in philosophy, does that automatically make him a philosopher?

Double majored in psychology and philosphy.  He helps children with autism at a hospital, and at home he writes philosophy/psychology books and sells them on amazon.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

It's more important they understand their motivations and abilities, and also understand that no degree can gurantee employment.

A large part of getting a job is how you present yourself and it helps to have connections.

In some of those fields there is no room for anyone to make a living if they are not exceptional or outright gifted.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life. MakeMeaSammitch

real world.

epic burn

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life.

I think you would change your tune if you had adult kids. And ideally we should start something we love. But at the end of the data bills need to be paid and mouths need to be fed.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
lol. stem or go home and learn a trade. lol@ all these humanities majors crying about not having a job
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Ugh, I've posted this on this board before, but no...

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2013/majors-that-pay-you-back

In terms of median pay by mid-career Philosophy is firmly in the middle of the pack.  In fact it's slightly above the middle and ahead of other majors like Biology, Business, and Health Sciences.  The whole notion that you can't have a decent living with a philosophy degree is completely overblown.  If you want 200k/yr yeah don't major in philosophy, but otherwise it is a degree you can do fine in life with, provided you're not a complete deadbeat.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Yeah, well it was good enough to get her into UVA's law school.  That's a t14 law school and last year 97% of their graduates had jobs at firms lined up before they even graduated.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

In evil communist countries, evil communist State tells you what to study. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, yahoo article tells you what not to study. 

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

TacticalDesire

In terms of median pay by mid-career Philosophy is firmly in the middle of the pack.  In fact it's slightly above the middle and ahead of other majors like Biology, Business, and Health Sciences.  The whole notion that you can't have a decent living with a philosophy degree is completely overblown.  If you want 200k/yr yeah don't major in philosophy, but otherwise it is a degree you can do fine in life with, provided you're not a complete deadbeat.

That assumes you get a job in your chosen field and maintain promotion through it for your entire career.  That is a big assumption considering the biggest problem for most people is actually getting into their field in the first place, once in it is a simple matter of actually doing their work.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I think that's an asshole of an article. As a parent you should want you child to pursue something they love. A man who loves what he does doesn't work a day in his life.Fightingfan

Especially if you have one of those majors.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#42 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

If you see universities as job factories, yes.

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

Learn a skilled trade, lots of employment opportunities.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
In generally any major that deals heavily in math is usually high demand because people avoid math like the plague. I know in my field, software engineering, there is a shortage of qualified american workers.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Guybrush_3

My thoughts.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]neither does somebody with a degree in philosophy.

real world.

MakeMeaSammitch

rare exception.

Is it? According to the article they have a 10.8% unemployment rate...which means that the vast majority of those with this degree are employed.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]eh, lawschool is one thing, graduating with a degree in philosophy by itself will have you working at mcdonalds.

Squeets

That assumes you get a job in your chosen field and maintain promotion through it for your entire career.  That is a big assumption considering the biggest problem for most people is actually getting into their field in the first place, once in it is a simple matter of actually doing their work.

Philosophy is ranked 23rd in Unemlpoyment http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57325132/25-college-majors-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates/ tied with Neuroscience meaning that they're 22 majors with higher unemployment.  Again, people bash philosophy without any real basis other than the stereotypical jabs.  If you look at the facts it's not any worse than dozens of other majors.  Ofc, if you want to earn high six figures it's probably not the degree for you, but you can have a solid life.  

And then again, based off this thread it is a solid major for getting into top law schools . And grads from law schools like UVA and Columbia have got more earning potential even than STEM fields.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 theone86

mmwmwmmwmwmm

you're right, architecture should be banned. i hate buildings.

And I mean, we wouldn't want to have people who understand the history of architecture and can help us appreciate our own society's art and cultural history.  Who needs that?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 theone86

In evil communist countries, evil communist State tells you what to study. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, yahoo artcile tells you what not to study. 

LordQuorthon

Best post so far.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Philosophy can get you into law school, I guess.