5 Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For.

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

Rolling Stone: This is what some young people are reading.

  1. Guaranteed Work for Everybody
  2. Social Security for All
  3. Take Back The Land
  4. Make Everything Owned by Everybody
  5. A Public Bank in Every State

Like totally, the US blows.

#2 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

Read the comments section. I love how at first people thought the article was a joke then the author got "internet" destroyed when they realized he was serious.

#3 Posted by Storm_Marine (12149 posts) -

The Trolling Stones.

#4 Edited by Masculus (2878 posts) -

That's pretty ********.

I hope the political spirit of modern democracies is not so rotten that people have to get their political ideas from Roling Stones magazines.

#5 Edited by whipassmt (14574 posts) -

I don't see why millennials or anyone should fight for those things.

Guaranteed work for everybody sounds nice on paper but it's not gonna happen. Plus I'm concerned that this "reform" could hinder the ability of employers to fire, which could stick them with crappy workers and make them less likely to hire.

Social Security is okay, but I think it's overrated and I some people probably don't want to pay into it.

What the heck does "take back the land" even mean?

"Make Everything owned by Everybody", that ain't happening.

Maybe a public bank in every state is okay, I don't really know enough about what a public bank is or what they mean by that.

#6 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17762 posts) -

Do people actually read Rolling Stone still? Such an awful magazine...

#7 Posted by Brain_Duster (473 posts) -

Holy shit...

#8 Posted by plageus900 (1304 posts) -

Everything owned by everybody.......HAHAHAHAHAHA

#9 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

What the heck does "take back the land" even mean?

Why don't you try reading the article.

___

Oh god, this part:

"But let's think even bigger. Because as much as unemployment blows, so do jobs. What if people didn't have to work to survive"


/facepalm

#10 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (4629 posts) -

agree with 1, 3 and 5

#11 Edited by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

^

though i have differences of opinions on how to implement 1 and 3

but really, gov't should really do a better job at ensuring full employment

the public bank thing sort of already exists in the form of credit unions

#12 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

Of course you do. How would you go about #1 and #3?

#13 Posted by chaplainDMK (6920 posts) -

Lol at Nr.1, stupid government, it just has to let us work, Obama Bin Laden is just holding back all the jobs so his dynasty and his friends don't have to worry, and so he can blackmail the country because he is the Antichrist

#14 Edited by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

This article blows (and I think wind probably blows between the authors ears)

Communism has pretty much failed basically every time it has been tried.

#15 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

"They just claim ownership of buildings and charge people who actually work for a living the majority of our incomes for the privilege of staying in boxes that these owners often didn't build and rarely if ever improve"

Maybe if the zoning laws weren't as strict you would have more, and cheaper, housing options. I bet that thought never crossed your mind! Those evil landlords.

#16 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i honestly thought the OP was an exaggeration before i read the article.

#17 Posted by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

Social Security is okay, but I think it's overrated

It's only the single most successful social program we as a country have ever implemented.

#18 Posted by jimkabrhel (15432 posts) -

So Rolling Stone is going full Onion?

#19 Posted by Serraph105 (28575 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin:

I haven't read the article, but the point of not having to work to survive is an interesting question. We currently live in a time where pretty much nothing is unavailable to us, there is no shortage of labor available to for us to receive whatever it is we want or require, and many jobs that are currently around could be automated if they had to be. I guess the question is why should people work unfulfilling and more importantly unnecessary jobs for the rest of their lives when the only thing our current system really needs is for people to buy things regardless of whether they need it or not?

#20 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4629 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

Of course you do. How would you go about #1 and #3?

gonna have to knock the rich down a few notches forcefully.

#21 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29772 posts) -

For the most part these ideas are borderline retarded.

@coolbeans90 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

^

though i have differences of opinions on how to implement 1 and 3

but really, gov't should really do a better job at ensuring full employment

the public bank thing sort of already exists in the form of credit unions

Really beans, really?

#22 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

The ones we should be fighting for are the ones our grandparents fought for in FDR's Second Bill of Rights.

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (90891 posts) -

Problems I see:

  1. Guaranteed work for everyone - Not everyone WANTS to work. While others are incapable (due to handicap or medical issue, even at a desk) or do an absolutely terrible job when they work. Also, how can they guarantee work for everyone? Unemployment is a function of a society. There isn't enough paid work for everyone to do. Paying people requires that a company make a profit. or at least break even on revenue.
  2. Social security for all - Who is paying for this? People should be taught to plan for the future, and put money away instead of spending beyond their means. A safety net isn't necessary for people who plan for a rainy day.
  3. Take back the land - Why does the author only mention landlords, implying apartments/renting? Someone is capable of owning and/or building their own home. It isn't as expensive as you might think. Especially if the idea of a "living wage" is accepted as the norm for basic labour.
  4. Make everything owned by everybody - True communism blows as much as unbridled capitalism. The Soviet Union proved that state-owned property doesn't work. Voluntary cooperatives work because they are voluntary and self-sufficient. Imposing the government on the idea just ruins it.
#24 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4629 posts) -

@coolbeans90 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

^

though i have differences of opinions on how to implement 1 and 3

but really, gov't should really do a better job at ensuring full employment

the public bank thing sort of already exists in the form of credit unions

I'd like to see nationalized banks. The private ones are really damaging this country.

Not saying gov't is perfect, but I know they'd do better than any major bank.

#25 Posted by lamprey263 (25652 posts) -

should have just hijacked FDR's Second Bill of Rights idea

anyhow, did Rolling Stones go and hire 12 year old to write this article... wait a minute didn't they make a movie about that?

#26 Edited by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -
@chessmaster1989 said:

For the most part these ideas are borderline retarded.

@coolbeans90 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

^

though i have differences of opinions on how to implement 1 and 3

but really, gov't should really do a better job at ensuring full employment

the public bank thing sort of already exists in the form of credit unions

Really beans, really?

i was agreeing with goals, not policies

I think the gov't should attempt to minimize unemployment, and i think that efforts to do so have been relatively lacking, although there is a lot of internal problems at work here

and personally i think that people should, at large, typically own property as opposed to rent (that one, i am a little iffy about)

The shit the article spoke about in fine print was admittedly nothing short of batshit tho

#27 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@coolbeans90 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

^

though i have differences of opinions on how to implement 1 and 3

but really, gov't should really do a better job at ensuring full employment

the public bank thing sort of already exists in the form of credit unions

I'd like to see nationalized banks. The private ones are really damaging this country.

Not saying gov't is perfect, but I know they'd do better than any major bank.

imo, credit unions achieve the same benefits w/o the drama

#28 Posted by Barbariser (6761 posts) -

Holy fuckballs, reading that was so painful that I couldn't even skim past the third item and the titles of the last two ideas tell me that it's a good thing I didn't try to read them.

#29 Edited by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

@coolbeans90 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

agree with 1, 3 and 5

^

though i have differences of opinions on how to implement 1 and 3

but really, gov't should really do a better job at ensuring full employment

the public bank thing sort of already exists in the form of credit unions

Guaranteed Work for Everybody- prison labor, debtors prisons

Take Back The Land - the feds have been taking land back from the people for over 100 years now, the federal gov owns most of the land already, it is one of many reasons real estate is so damned expensive. i am not ignoring interest rate manipulation nor holding back inventories.

#30 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch: the small private banks have done nothing to anyone, the large banks that are conjoined to the federal reserve have. it seems to me that the problem is size and corruption (the misuse of power) not that there is not enough state banking.

#31 Posted by mattbbpl (10998 posts) -

That was just flat out stupid.

#32 Posted by playmynutz (6391 posts) -

The internet will awake and become a ferocious beast unstoppable by any man, economy is done for! Has spring semester started already? So many economy and calculus threads, which is good for OT I'd say.

#33 Posted by SpartanMSU (3440 posts) -

Has to be a joke. No one can be this stupid.

*Looks at all the links to this article on Facebook*

We're fvcked.

#34 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

This guy is an idiot

#35 Edited by platinumking320 (667 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

I don't see why millennials or anyone should fight for those things.

Guaranteed work for everybody sounds nice on paper but it's not gonna happen. Plus I'm concerned that this "reform" could hinder the ability of employers to fire, which could stick them with crappy workers and make them less likely to hire.

Social Security is okay, but I think it's overrated and I some people probably don't want to pay into it.

What the heck does "take back the land" even mean?

"Make Everything owned by Everybody", that ain't happening.

Maybe a public bank in every state is okay, I don't really know enough about what a public bank is or what they mean by that.

Some of these ideas or at least ideas in similar spirit Franklin Roosevelt actually wanted to initiate in a 2nd Bill of Rights. But then, he was dying of polio, and the business community already had its stranglehold on the US govt.

So close and yet so far....

This is why not only, do you need selfless leaders and 'actual legislators' but ones who are intimidating enough to keep the greedy apes in line.

#36 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

so, i actually read the article

and

holy shit

run-of-the-mill leftist trash

#37 Posted by themajormayor (24338 posts) -

And that is that

#38 Edited by thegerg (16120 posts) -

@Master_Live: "Guaranteed Work for Everybody"

What method would be used to force employers to hire people?

#39 Edited by themajormayor (24338 posts) -

I like number 2. I mean it's stupid as fuck but I like it.

#40 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15044 posts) -

It's a contentious topic and one in which a serious discussion could be held........ but that article sounds like it was written by a fresh college grad that doesn't want to work/pay rent.

#41 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

@Master_Live: First they need to get off of Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Snapchat, Pintrest, and the many other platforms that actively encourage narcissism.

I mean, I love my sister (she was born in 95). But goddamn, most of her friends....I'm not sure they've actually ever read a book cover to cover.

#42 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7892 posts) -

That was a pretty horrid read. I tend to disregard articles that have blue hyperlinks in every sentence.

#43 Posted by Aljosa23 (26029 posts) -

@chrisrooR said:

@Master_Live: First they need to get off of Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Snapchat, Pintrest, and the many other platforms that actively encourage narcissism.

Naw, man. None of those platforms encourage anything. You need to follow better people on there.

#44 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Master_Live: "Guaranteed Work for Everybody"

What method would be used to force employers to hire people?

You do understand that I don't agree with the content of that article, don't you?

The authors would answer your question with this:

The easiest and most direct solution is for the government to guarantee that everyone who wants to contribute productively to society is able to earn a decent living in the public sector.

#45 Edited by whipassmt (14574 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@whipassmt said:

Social Security is okay, but I think it's overrated

It's only the single most successful social program we as a country have ever implemented.

Maybe so. I see it's benefits, namely that people get a steady source of income from it when they retire. But in order to do so they have to pay a payroll tax to start with, meaning that they're paycheck is a bit smaller. So if they didn't pay into social security, they wouldn't have that income while retired but with larger paychecks while working they could have saved more for their retirement or better paid down their debts.

#46 Edited by Audacitron (968 posts) -

The magazine is Rolling Stone.

The Rolling Stones is a band. They are unaffiliated.

#47 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16335 posts) -

I agree with 1 and 2 for the most part.

It's clear we need some changes in this country asap, obviously these aren't the best ways of going about them but when is there ever a best way in the first place.

#48 Posted by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I agree with 1 and 2 for the most part.

It's clear we need some changes in this country asap, obviously these aren't the best ways of going about them but when is there ever a best way in the first place.

How would you go about implementing #1?

#49 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16335 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I agree with 1 and 2 for the most part.

It's clear we need some changes in this country asap, obviously these aren't the best ways of going about them but when is there ever a best way in the first place.

How would you go about implementing #1?

Guaranteed work? idk. obvious fields would be agriculture, telecommunications, construction, entry positions provided with atleast a minimum wage.

Obviously not all cities could provide the same work programs. There's no doubt it would be a hurdle but with the growing amount of unemployed and homeless within this country it's clear something has to be done.

Hell, it's ridiculous trying to find a job with decent hours currently, a chance at guaranteed work would be nice even if it isn't the greatest.

#50 Posted by thegerg (16120 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Master_Live said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I agree with 1 and 2 for the most part.

It's clear we need some changes in this country asap, obviously these aren't the best ways of going about them but when is there ever a best way in the first place.

How would you go about implementing #1?

Guaranteed work? idk. obvious fields would be agriculture, telecommunications, construction, entry positions provided with atleast a minimum wage.

Obviously not all cities could provide the same work programs. There's no doubt it would be a hurdle but with the growing amount of unemployed and homeless within this country it's clear something has to be done.

Hell, it's ridiculous trying to find a job with decent hours currently, a chance at guaranteed work would be nice even if it isn't the greatest.

" obvious fields would be agriculture, telecommunications, construction, entry positions provided with atleast a minimum wage."

Why are those fields any more obvious than another?