2015 Academy Awards (Oscars). Which Film Should Win Best Picture?

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Master_Live

Poll 2015 Academy Awards (Oscars). Which Film Should Win Best Picture? (37 votes)

American Sniper 19%
Birdman 35%
Boyhood 16%
The Imitation Game 16%
The Grand Budapest Hotel 11%
Selma 0%
The Theory of Everything 3%
Whiplash 0%

This Sunday is the ceremony for the less culturally significant "Oscars" (Academy Awards) and not the OTcars. Make your choices for any of the categories and feel free to add any I have left out.

You can see the list for all the nominees here: Academy Awards (The page will updated as the winners are announced).

• Best Picture:
    • American Sniper
    • Birdman
    • Boyhood
    • The Imitation Game
    • The Grand Budapest Hotel
    • Selma
    • The Theory of Everything
    • Whiplash

• Best Director
    • Alexandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman
    • Richard Linklater, Boyhood
    • Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
    • Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    • Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game

• Best Actor
    • Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
    • Bradley Cooper, American Sniper
    • Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
    • Michael Keaton, Birdman
    • Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

• Best Actress
    • Marion Cotillard, Two Days One Night
    • Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
    • Julianne Moore, Still Alice
    • Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
    • Reese Witherspoon, Wild

• Best Supporting Actor
    • Robert Duvall, The Judge
    • Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
    • Edward Norton, Birdman
    • Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
    • J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

• Best Supporting Actress
    • Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
    • Laura Dern, Wild
    • Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
    • Emma Stone, Birdman
    • Meryl Streep, Into the Woods

• Best Adapted Screenplay
    • American Sniper, Jason Hall
    • The Imitation Game, Graham Moore
    • Inherent Vice, Paul Thomas Anderson
    • The Theory of Everything, Anthony McCarten
    • Whiplash, Damien Chazelle

• Best Original Screenplay
    • Birdman, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo
    • Boyhood, Richard Linklater
    • Foxcatcher, E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman
    • The Grand Budapest Hotel, Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness
    • Nightcrawler, Dan Gilroy

• Best Cinematography
    • Emmanuel Lubezki, Birdman
    • Robert Yeoman, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    • Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski, Ida
    • Dick Pope, Mr. Turner
    • Roger Deakins, Unbroken

• 
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

I see Oscar bait has been redefined.

Who knew the academy would award a film centered around show business? They're really stepping up their game.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I applaud the Academy for not giving into the gimmicky Oscar-bait this year.

Except when they gave BP to the faux single take art film about actors and show business.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Not sure about that.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I just watched Birdman and while I admit it was a decent movie, I don't think it's THAT good.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 sammyjenkis898
Loading Video...

Kermode nails it.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@airshocker said:

I just watched Birdman and while I admit it was a decent movie, I don't think it's THAT good.

Totally agreed, and I also think the movie had a crappy ending.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#157 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Except when they gave BP to the faux single take art film about actors and show business.

This...and Birdman was Oscar bait, Boyhood really wasn't.

Boyhood is as unpretentious as it gets.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@texasgoldrush said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Boyhood is as unpretentious as it gets.

If Boyhood used actors of different ages (like for example: "We Have To Talk About Keven"), would it have effected the movie significantly or even arguably worse?

That in itself seems pretty pretencous.

@sammyjenkis898 said:
Loading Video...

Kermode nails it.

Just like how he nailed Boyhood was going to win; or how TV was inferior fluff compared to movies.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By SaintLeonidas

My word, how the hell is 'Boyhood' pretentious?... Seriously? Someone enlighten us? And if you say "because of its long production" then just know beforehand that you are a moron. Like, literally just plain stupid. Many films take years to be made - whether it is the full production, the script, editing or shooting over the course of a few years. Just because 'Boyhood' was shot over 12 years doesn't mean jack shit in regards to whether it is pretentious or not. Unless you have no idea what that means in regards to film. The two things are not linked - at all, even if you believe them to be.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks someone like Linklater would film 'Boyhood' with the intention of receiving recognition or an Oscar just shows how ignorant you are to who he is as a person and filmmaker. Plus, if we are comparing the merits of 'Boyhood' and 'Birdman' in regards to whether they are pretentious or not - 'Birdman' would take the cake, easily. The very nature of its script and philosophical meandering about existence and show business alone would warrant such a title - not to mention the fact that Inarritu (WAY MORE SO than Linklater) has a history for such things. This IS the same guy who made shit like 'Babel' and '21 Grams' - and was already regarded as a "pretentious" filmmaker - a title very few, it any, critics would ever apply to Linklater.

So please, remind me again how 'Boyhood' is pretentious?

It is honestly quite embarrassing when people who are clearly casual moviegoers get outspoken during award season and act like they know much or anything at all about the films and directors receiving recognition - or just the industry as a whole

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Alright who pissed in SaintLeonidas's wheaties?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 SaintLeonidas

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Alright who pissed in SaintLeonidas's wheaties?

Wheaties are for pansies mother fucker, I eat pure whole grain bitch!

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By sammyjenkis898

@uninspiredcup said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:
Loading Video...

Kermode nails it.

Just like how he nailed Boyhood was going to win; or how TV was inferior fluff compared to movies.

Diverting attention to something that has little relevance to what was addressed.

Sounds about right.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:
Loading Video...

Kermode nails it.

Diverting attention to something that has little relevance to what was addressed.

Sounds about right.

Evidence on a lack of credibility when it comes to Kermodes bold claims directly pertains to the issue while being generally being more objective than the initial comment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 uninspiredcup  Online

@SaintLeonidas said:

My word, how the hell is 'Boyhood' pretentious?... Seriously? Someone enlighten us? And if you say "because of its long production" then just know beforehand that you are a moron. Like, literally just plain stupid. Many films take years to be made - whether it is the full production, the script, editing or shooting over the course of a few years. Just because 'Boyhood' was shot over 12 years doesn't mean jack shit in regards to whether it is pretentious or not. Unless you have no idea what that means in regards to film. The two things are not linked - at all, even if you believe them to be.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks someone like Linklater would film 'Boyhood' with the intention of receiving recognition or an Oscar just shows how ignorant you are to who he is as a person and filmmaker. Plus, if we are comparing the merits of 'Boyhood' and 'Birdman' in regards to whether they are pretentious or not - 'Birdman' would take the cake, easily. The very nature of its script and philosophical meandering about existence and show business alone would warrant such a title - not to mention the fact that Inarritu (WAY MORE SO than Linklater) has a history for such things. This IS the same guy who made shit like 'Babel' and '21 Grams' - and was already regarded as a "pretentious" filmmaker - a title very few, it any, critics would ever apply to Linklater.

It is honestly quite embarrassing when people who are clearly casual moviegoers get outspoken during award season and act like they know much or anything at all about the films and directors receiving recognition - or just the industry as a whole

My friend: you are clearly very passionate, which is great, however it appears to have crossed the line into obnoxiousness. I wont debate with you on this, not because I believable I am wrong (it was specifically made to show an age difference) but because at this point is a very venomous over what was indeed, a casual movie discussion, on a gaming board, as opposed to a life and death gladiator battle.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 SaintLeonidas

@uninspiredcup said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

My friend: you are clearly very passionate, which is great, however it appears to have crossed the line into obnoxiousness. I wont debate with you on this, not because I believable I am wrong (it was specifically made to show an age difference) but because at this point is a very venomous over what was indeed, a casual movie discussion, on a gaming board, as opposed to a life and death gladiator battle.

I see how it is. "I am going to claim a filmmaker and his film is pretentious...but not actually support such a claim when someone actually confronts me with an actual rebuttal." FYI, "it was specifically made to show an age difference" is not in anyway a supportive point to whether the film is pretentious. Wanting to film a coming of age tale which shows actors actually age is no way an act of pretension, period.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
YearOT PickOscar WinnerLink
2006The DepartedThe Departedhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/official-2007-academy-awards-thread-25404838/?messageId=284627163&page=1
2007There Will Be Blood/No Country for Old MenNo Country for Old Menhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/do-you-agree-with-the-academy-awards-26256618/?messageId=298908335#js-message-1
2008Milk/Slumdog MillionaireSlumdog Millionairehttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/the-official-81st-academy-awards-oscars-thread-win-26754485/?messageId=308946221&page=1
2009District 9/Up in the Air/The Hurt LockerThe Hurt Lockerhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/ots-2010-officially-unofficial-oscar-thread-sticki-27216401/?messageId=320369242#js-message-1
2010Black Swan/The King's SpeechThe King's Speechhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/academy-award-for-best-picture-goes-to-27558641/?messageId=327745528&page=1
2011The ArtistThe Artisthttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/84th-academy-award-nominations-29004870/?messageId=334957502#js-message-1
2012Beasts of the Southern WildArgohttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/official-ot-thread-oscars-centraltaking-user-bets-29357210/?messageId=339659765&page=1
2013Gravity12 Years a Slavehttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/official-86th-oscars-thread-keep-everything-relate-31105484/?messageId=342176575#js-message-18
2014BirdmanBirdmanhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/2015-academy-awards-oscars-which-film-should-win-b-31871356/?page=1

Some comments:

OT Picks mean the movies people thought should had won not their predictions for actual wins. Some years don't have many actual picks since it seemed OT didn't discovered the "poll" feature until...wait for it... 2013. *pats itself on the back*

Glad to see people being pissed in 2008 for the Dark Knight snub. Was there with you in spirit.

And seeing how legacy and which movies will be "remembered" later in history was discussed in this thread, here are some of the movies some members liked on different years:

• The Reader
  • Frost/Nixon

And of course Atonement>There Will Be Blood.

None which appear, at least on this Metacritic analysis of the most mentions on the "Top 10" movies by different film critics. (That isn't to say that X or Y film will be or won't be remembered later on).

So everyone should take a chillax pill.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Interstellar should've won!

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 SaintLeonidas

@Master_Live said:
YearOT PickOscar WinnerLink
2006The DepartedThe Departedhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/official-2007-academy-awards-thread-25404838/?messageId=284627163&page=1
2007There Will Be Blood/No Country for Old MenNo Country for Old Menhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/do-you-agree-with-the-academy-awards-26256618/?messageId=298908335#js-message-1
2008Milk/Slumdog MillionaireSlumdog Millionairehttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/the-official-81st-academy-awards-oscars-thread-win-26754485/?messageId=308946221&page=1
2009District 9/Up in the Air/The Hurt LockerThe Hurt Lockerhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/ots-2010-officially-unofficial-oscar-thread-sticki-27216401/?messageId=320369242#js-message-1
2010Black Swan/The King's SpeechThe King's Speechhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/academy-award-for-best-picture-goes-to-27558641/?messageId=327745528&page=1
2011The ArtistThe Artisthttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/84th-academy-award-nominations-29004870/?messageId=334957502#js-message-1
2012Beasts of the Southern WildArgohttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/official-ot-thread-oscars-centraltaking-user-bets-29357210/?messageId=339659765&page=1
2013Gravity12 Years a Slavehttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/official-86th-oscars-thread-keep-everything-relate-31105484/?messageId=342176575#js-message-18
2014BirdmanBirdmanhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/2015-academy-awards-oscars-which-film-should-win-b-31871356/?page=1

Some comments:

OT Picks mean the movies people thought should had won not their predictions for actual wins. Some years don't have many actual picks since it seemed OT didn't discovered the "poll" feature until...wait for it... 2013. *pats itself on the back*

Glad to see people being pissed in 2008 for the Dark Knight snub. Was there with you in spirit.

And seeing how legacy and which movies will be "remembered" later in history was discussed in this thread, here are some of the movies some members liked on different years:

• The Reader
  • Frost/Nixon

And of course Atonement>There Will Be Blood.

None which appear, at least on this Metacritic analysis of the most mentions on the "Top 10" movies by different film critics. (That isn't to say that X or Y film will be or won't be remembered later on).

So everyone should take a chillax pill.

You got way too much damn time on your hands! And those threads just make me miss a lot of people, **** you Master!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

You got way too much damn time on your hands! And those threads just make me miss a lot of people, **** you Master!

How dare you :P

Gamespot search feature is a headache.

BESTszolloBEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By BESTszolloBEST
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It's too bad that The Grand Budapest Hotel didn't win the Best Film award