You'll Trust IGN After This Wii Review? The Shark Has Been Jumped

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Shaun White Snowboarding has been all the rage, pretty good game and the first to get exclusive content.

Today IGN rates the special Target version and give it the same score as the regular version?

Huh?

Here's what they say about their ranking of the game...

"Of course, this SKU is also five dollars more than the others. So sure, you can pay more to get more, if you like. For that reason, the Target Edition of Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip is receiving the same score as the retailer-neutral game."

Which makes zero sense, let's break it down...

The extra content is 5 dollars, the content adds one entire mountain that has features found nowhere else. That mountain adds 1/5th to the game.

Now they say it's a wash because you're paying for the extra content, same score, case closed.

But AHA! One truth prevails!

If 5 dollars is the going rate for a mountain in the game then the "regular" version of the game with 4 mountains should cost 20 dollars right?

Oh no readers, you're out 50 bucks (less or more depending on your area and sales savvy)

That means everyone is paying 12.50 a mountain in the game 

If you get the Target version you're getting one extra mountain at almost 1/3rd the price!

Yet they score it the same?

Anyone else see this as being completely wrong and more proof they hand out scores for Wii games as they see fit and not because of the actual make up of the game?

Knowledge is power!

snipe12388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 snipe12388
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts
I think it's because they didn't want to waste time and write a whole review for just added on content. BUT, they should have given this version (Target's) a higher score in replay value because it has more content. But the division scores (GFX, sound, playability) have nothing to do with the overall score, since the final score isn't an average of the ohters scores. I think that is the only logical explanation. Or they hand out scores.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I agree with you Jaysonguy. Reviews are not always perfect.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Yeah, this one is pretty much objectively wrong, not even just subjectively. Not much more to say.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

If 5 dollars is the going rate for a mountain in the game then the "regular" version of the game with 4 mountains should cost 20 dollars right?

Oh no readers, you're out 50 bucks (less or more depending on your area and sales savvy)

If you get the Target version you're getting one extra mountain at almost 1/3rd the price!

Jaysonguy

No, because the game is not composed merely of mountains. It has an engine, all the game mechanics, all that labour that went into building the game's interface. That's what you're paying for. You can't just divide it out per mountain like that. After all, they didn't sit down to work on this game and go, "Bill, Sue, Jim, you get Mountain #1 and #2. Tom, Mary, Suzanne, you get Mountain #3 and #4. We'll meet back in a year."

Do they give special editions higher ratings? No. Why? You do get extras, but it costs more money. It's up to the consumer whether the extra content is worth it to them.

Wa-Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Wa-Ryan
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
I think there needs to be a section where you can review the critics reviews of the games. You guys seem to care more about that than actual video games.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
I have a better question. I'm canadian. We don't have Targets in canada. So does this mean i don't have the choice whether to have the new content or not?
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts
Your argument is flawed. You're assuming that every cent you paid for the game goes to creating "mountains". That's obviously not the case. There are production costs, licensing cost, marketing costs and so on associated with the game. Not to mention, Nintendo, Target, and whoever else is involved needs a cut of the profit. I agree with IGN on this one. The target edition is essentially the same game with extra content. Using IGN's scoring terminology, "Presentation", "Graphics", "Sound", and "Gameplay" are exactly the same. The target edition is in no way better in these categories. The only difference is "Last Appealing". You get more...BUT you are also paying for it. Now, is it worth it to pay $5 for a mountain? It is up to you to decide. But, the score shouldn't be higher.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

I have a better question. I'm canadian. We don't have Targets in canada. So does this mean i don't have the choice whether to have the new content or not?nintendoman562

i'm asking the exact same thing. lol

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
it's not a full mountain. it's only two runs.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teknic1200
on that note, the gameplay is the same.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clicketyclick
Rawr, three canadians in one thread. Too much awesomeness in one spot. And yup, we don't get the Target edition. Enough of these IGN hate fests.
DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

So it's confirmed that this will not be available in Canada?  Zellers is owned by Target, is there the possiblity of it coming here?

k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
lol thats so dumb, but i always go by the scores the people give, not the companies
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 teknic1200
well then, i gave the non-target version a 9.0 and i'll give the target version a 8.5 without playing it. i hate corporate tie-ins. boycott the target version so game companies don't do this crap to get advertising dollars.. i don't watch TV because i hate the adds. get 'em out of my games.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clicketyclick

So it's confirmed that this will not be available in Canada?  Zellers is owned by Target, is there the possiblity of it coming here?

DDRMom
Have you seen it? I haven't. I think we would have by now.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

Do they give special editions higher ratings? No. Why? You do get extras, but it costs more money. It's up to the consumer whether the extra content is worth it to them.

clicketyclick

Do they give special editions higher ratings? Yes, yes they do

MADDEN 09 Regular version = 8.8, retailed for 59.99

MADDEN 09 SPECIAL EDITION = 9.1, retailed for 89.99

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

Jaysonguy

If you actually read into the review,you might discover that there is more to the Madden Special Edition than just a few maps.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

VGobbsesser

If you actually read into the review,you might discover that there is more to the Madden Special Edition than just a few maps.

Didn't need to read it since I already own it

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Didn't need to read it since I already own it

Jaysonguy

Oh.Then you should already be aware that your comparison between Madden 09 and Shawn White Snowboarding is bogus,as the Madden 09 Special Edition offers much more content than the special edition of Shawn White Snowboarding.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

This kind of stuff happens all the time.

Think of Downloadable content. Do reviewers re-review Rock Band each time the download service comes out with a new song? Or do they re-review Call of Duty when a map pack is released?

Or think of game patches. Rarely does an editorial site change their review after a patch is released that fixes a bug in the game.

How about expansion packs? How often is it that an expansion pack reviews higher than the original game? It has to do something incredible to justify a higher score.

IGN is simply saying "you can buy this version, but it's five extra dollars and it doesn't really make the game significantly better to warrant a better score. You get what you pay for".

Maybe this mountain is only worth exactly five dollars. Did you think of that?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clicketyclick

DDRMom
Just called them. They don't even have the game in stock at least where I live. And Zellers isn't owned by Target, so abandon all hope.
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

Jaysonguy

You omitted to mention that that was no ordinary special edition. It is the Orange Box of special editions. It's the 20th Anniversary Edition of Madden. It adds a hell of a lot more than "another mountain", so to speak. In fact, it includes a whole other game. I'm talking about run-of-the-mill collector's and special editions, not 20th anniversary value packs. As you can see from their Fallout 3 reviews that they don't give any of the special editions a higher score on the same console.
Ultamite-Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ultamite-Ninja
Member since 2007 • 1109 Posts
I stoped trusting Ign after they gave a 7.2 to Kingdom Hearts 2. Thats just wrong.
m00cherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 m00cherman
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

I think your overreacting. It's not that bad.

How much did Gamespot pay you to post this?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jaysonguy

I think your overreacting. It's not that bad.

How much did Gamespot pay you to post this?

m00cherman

2 bags of Skittles and the ability to ban one member of my choosing

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="m00cherman"] Just called them. They don't even have the game in stock at least where I live. And Zellers isn't owned by Target, so abandon all hope. [QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

Jaysonguy

You omitted to mention that that was no ordinary special edition. It is the Orange Box of special editions. It's the 20th Anniversary Edition of Madden. It adds a hell of a lot more than "another mountain", so to speak. In fact, it includes a whole other game. I'm talking about run-of-the-mill collector's and special editions, not 20th anniversary value packs. As you can see from their Fallout 3 reviews that they don't give any of the special editions a higher score on the same console.

I'm going to have to call you out on this one clickety :P This is because when you said "it adds a whole lot more than "another mountain"". It isn't a valid segment to your argument because when you stated they do not give special editions higher scores, it certainly sounded like you were referring to special editions as whole. And just because the Madden Special Edition adds much more content than "another mountain", that does not mean that it segregates itself from other special editions in the way you were referring to such special editions because as I said before, it certainly appeared that you were talking about all special editions. Sorry ;) lol. And Jaysonguy, yes, I still do trust IGN after this Wii Review.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Case Closed

Jaysonguy

That show is so amazing...

As for worth, the Target advertising team spent money directly into production of this mountain, so that front end made the content cheaper to the consumer.

So if you can stomach the Target ad, then you can get this content for $7.50 cheaper than wholesale.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
yes i will trust ign on all reviews.
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Can you say anything positive?
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

Shaun White Snowboarding has been all the rage, pretty good game and the first to get exclusive content.

Today IGN rates the special Target version and give it the same score as the regular version?

Huh?

"Of course, this SKU is also five dollars more than the others. So sure, you can pay more to get more, if you like. For that reason, the Target Edition of Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip is receiving the same score as the retailer-neutral game."

The extra content is 5 dollars, the content adds one entire mountain that has features found nowhere else. That mountain adds 1/5th to the game.

Now they say it's a wash because you're paying for the extra content, same score, case closed.

Anyone else see this as being completely wrong and more proof they hand out scores for Wii games as they see fit and not because of the actual make up of the game?

Knowledge is power!

Jaysonguy

Whoa whoa whoa.. waiiit waiit... *scratches head*

Ok, Let me get this straight:

You complained (practically crusaded) that Megaman 9 was "incomplete" because its DLC was ready to go at launch.   Now wouldn't that same complaint apply here?  But NOOOO here you defend having to pay an extra $5 for content that was equally readyto go at launch.  

I think the real story here is that Jaysonguy tries to find whatever reason he can to convince people that something popular is bad (in this case IGN).  He's like some kind of self engineered trend-killer-wannabe.  Ever notice how the things that most people like, he tries to trash?  And the things that most people don't like, he praises?

The IGN reviewer's point was that you'll get the same bang for your buck, regardless which version you purchase.  Obviously that means the exclusive content isn't impressive enough to warrant passing up the normal copy (unless you're a real fan or have OCD). 

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Huh?

Knowledge is power!

Mike1978Smith

Whoa whoa whoa.. waiiit waiit... *scratches head*

Ok, Let me get this straight:

You complained (practically crusaded) that Megaman 9 was "incomplete" because its DLC was ready to go at launch.   Now wouldn't that same complaint apply here?  But NOOOO here you defend having to pay an extra $5 for content that was equally readyto go at launch.  

I think the real story here is that Jaysonguy tries to find whatever reason he can to convince people that something popular is bad (in this case IGN).  He's like some kind of self engineered trend-killer-wannabe.  Ever notice how the things that most people like, he tries to trash?  And the things that most people don't like, he praises?

The IGN reviewer's point was that you'll get the same bang for your buck, regardless which version you purchase.  Obviously that means the exclusive content isn't impressive enough to warrant passing up the normal copy (unless you're a real fan or have OCD). 

Completely false

Target paid millions in an endorsement deal to get this done. That I have no problem with.

The makers of the game do not have some sort of Target store fetish and this game allowed them to finally put it on display.

CasioTeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CasioTeck
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

clicketyclick

No, because the game is not composed merely of mountains. It has an engine, all the game mechanics, all that labour that went into building the game's interface. That's what you're paying for. You can't just divide it out per mountain like that. After all, they didn't sit down to work on this game and go, "Bill, Sue, Jim, you get Mountain #1 and #2. Tom, Mary, Suzanne, you get Mountain #3 and #4. We'll meet back in a year."

on the money jasonguy must be REALLY BORED if he's sitting around calculating dollar per sq/m
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

CasioTeck

on the money jasonguy must be REALLY BORED if he's sitting around calculating dollar per sq/m

You may want to scroll to where I show that IGN does show different scores for different versions of games.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clicketyclick

I'm going to have to call you out on this one clickety :P This is because when you said "it adds a whole lot more than "another mountain"". It isn't a valid segment to your argument because when you stated they do not give special editions higher scores, it certainly sounded like you were referring to special editions as whole. And just because the Madden Special Edition adds much more content than "another mountain", that does not mean that it segregates itself from other special editions in the way you were referring to such special editions because as I said before, it certainly appeared that you were talking about all special editions. Sorry ;) scar-hawk

It isn't called a "special edition" like Jaysonguy called it. It's called the "Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition". It contains far more than a couple features here and there. As I mentioned, it contains a whole other game in addition to Madden NFL 09, along with the standard special edition "exclusive video content" stuff. To call this just another special edition is like calling The Orange Box simply a special edition of Half-Life. And that comparison is valid for me to make because that's the exact comparison IGN makes in reviewing the Madden 20th Anniversary Edition.

In any case, my point still stands, because what's at issue is not whether every single kind of edition of the game got the same score, but that it is common and widespread to give special editions the same score as the regular game (GameSpot doesn't even seem to bother giving a separate rating to the special editions.) This question comes up: in light of this long history of giving special editions the same scores as the regular game, why is it all of a sudden now jumping the shark to give this paltry Target edition the same score as the regular game?

Presumably, the reason why special editions have commonly been given the same scores as the originals in the past is because they don't add so much to the game that it makes it the significantly and definitively better version, keeping in mind the added cost. If this is the case for swanky and spiffy Special Editions of AAA games like Fallout 3, GoW2, and the like, why is it such an intolerable shock that this minor addition (relative to those special editions I mentioned) of a few courses plastered with corporate branding to a game like Shaun White receives the same score as the original?

Did anyone really expect the Wii to be treated differently from the other platforms? Does anyone really want the Wii to be treated unfairly?