Would it have killed them to make the 3DS more powerful than Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Push it just enough,just enough to be more powerful.

Yeah?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It wouldn't have killed them, but it would have made the 3DS more expensive.

And some 3DS games look on par or better than games on the Wii. The only problem with the 3DS is that it suffers from a low poly count and its screen resolution isn't the best. It would have been nice seeing a Nintendo handheld as powerful as the Vita, but companies have to make sacrifises in order for their product to sell (remember that $80 price cut?).

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Probably, yes. Considering that would have driven up the cost quite a bit more, and the 3DS pretty much tanked at that $250 price. Having it higher would have been terrible. Besides that, Super Mario 3D Land looks pretty darn similar to either Galaxy title, and Mario Kart looks better on the 3DS than the Wii to me. I'd say it's fine.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Games on the system look great. Kid Icarus, mario kart and super mario all look like Wii games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

have you tried the 3d? that's what's supposed to make it look better than the wii... and that's why they didnt just pull a sony and update the graphics.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I don't even think the 3DS matches Gamecube graphics, to be honest. Too jaggedy.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
If anything it's already stronger than the wii in certain areas.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Its too late now, talking about it isnt going to change it.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'm reasonably sure it's already more powerful than the Wii, and not by a small margin. Just look at Kid Icarus: Uprising. It just needs some anti-aliasing, especially at that low 400x240 (effective) resolution. Funny thing is, I don't see GCN/Wii games having much AA applied either, but N64 games always had a light form of AA since it seemed to be a hardware feature with no performance penalty. (On the other hand, most N64 games run at 320x240 instead of 640x480.)
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I don't even think the 3DS matches Gamecube graphics, to be honest. Too jaggedy.rubber-chicken

Agreed. Well actually I didn't have a gamecube, but going by the PS2 my brother had, I remember some games from that gen looking better than anything yet to appear on 3DS.

Other than the touch screen and the 3D, I haven't seen anything that couldn't have done on a PSP - which was actually higher res compared to the 3DS's topscreen.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ANIMEguy10034

Agreed. Well actually I didn't have a gamecube, but going by the PS2 my brother had, I remember some games from that gen looking better than anything yet to appear on 3DS.

Other than the touch screen and the 3D, I haven't seen anything that couldn't have done on a PSP - which was actually higher res compared to the 3DS's topscreen.

Audacitron

Someone give this person a copy of Resident Evil Revelations and Super Mario 3D Land, ASAP!!!!

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

ANIMEguy10034

Someone give this person a copy of Resident Evil Revelations and Super Mario 3D Land, ASAP!!!!

I was just about to say the same thing haha. It seems (and I am as guilty as the next geek) that everyone likes to look at past gens and swear that they looked better in one way or another. In terms of style and looks, one might be able to make a good point (like how good Crono Trigger and other games from the SNES still look today) but when it comes to polygon based games, they have not had a stand still in the way things progress. Look at the PS2 vs the similar aged Game cube and you will see a difference.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
I dunno, seems powerful enough already. Bigger, higher resolution screens would've been great. Maybe next iteration.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

This is a hand-held we're talking about and the graphics look great for a portable system. I don't want to see hand-held gaming become just like console gaming; that's why I didn't get a Vita instead.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I don't even think the 3DS matches Gamecube graphics, to be honest. Too jaggedy.rubber-chicken
I disagree. You just need to see RE:R or DOA:D, I'm not even talking 1st party games You just need to see shades, reflections, 60FPS, way above GC and even a lot of Wii games The jaggies are more related to actual screen resolution than processing power, and consider is just the first year Regards
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Considering it practically is already. It has more RAM than a Wii, for example. Even when it falls short on paper, Revelations puts everything on the Wii to shame so what does it really matter?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i thought it was more powerful
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Audacitron

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

ekalbtwin

I was just about to say the same thing haha. It seems (and I am as guilty as the next geek) that everyone likes to look at past gens and swear that they looked better in one way or another. In terms of style and looks, one might be able to make a good point (like how good Crono Trigger and other games from the SNES still look today) but when it comes to polygon based games, they have not had a stand still in the way things progress. Look at the PS2 vs the similar aged Game cube and you will see a difference.

I have Super Mario 3d Land and I've played the RE:R demo. Mario3dLand is colourful and has some nice shading, but other than that it's mostly blocky environments based on cubes with beveled edges. RE:R isn't bad at all, though what I've seen seems mostly restricted to corridors and foggy outdoor environments.

Seriously, you have to go back and look at some of the games that were around on PSP and Gamecube/PS2/Xbox.

Here's a gameplay video of a PS2 game from 6 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o5jjb7l1Sw

Can Heroes of Ruin even remotely match that? Kid Icarus?

Here's one of the Need for Speed games on the Gamecube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6heybGWjf58

Here's the recent entry in the same series for 3DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_AE-dsHAvU

... Maybe 3DS is capable of better, I'd just like to see a few more games that really push it. The majority of 3ds games look what we might've expected a decade ago. Low poly, blurry textured N64/PS1 games.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreekGameManiac

Still,it'd have been cool.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034

... Maybe 3DS is capable of better, I'd just like to see a few more games that really push it. The majority of 3ds games look what we might've expected a decade ago. Low poly, blurry textured N64/PS1 games.

Audacitron

Developers rarely push hardware limits during the first year of a console's lifespan. God of War would have looked worse if it was released in 2001. Same goes for Resident Evil 4.
The fact that we've gotten great looking games such as Mario 3D Land, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter Tri G, Kingdom Hearts 3D, DOA Dimensions, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, etc during the first year is a great sign. We should expect better looking games in the near future.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#21 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Yes, it would have killed them. It would be too expensive, the battery life would be even shorter than it already is, and it would probably take longer to get it right instead of it always overheating. Developers need to get clever with what they have to produce good-looking graphics on the 3DS.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Audacitron

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

ANIMEguy10034

Developers rarely push hardware limits during the first year of a console's lifespan. God of War would have looked worse if it was released in 2001. Same goes for Resident Evil 4.

I know they'll get better, but they should at least start off looking somewhat better than last gen games. There's no excuse for that.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#23 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

Audacitron

I know they'll get better, but they should at least start off looking somewhat better than last gen games. There's no excuse for that.

The excuse is that it's a handheld that is much smaller than a Wii, includes two screens (one 3D and one touch) and is sold for a reasonable price. GBA didn't have better graphics than an N64 and the DS didn't have better graphics than a GameCube. PSP doesn't looke better than PS2 and PS Vita doesn't look better than PS3. Your phone doesn't have better graphics than a a gaming PC from five years ago. It's handheld. It looks a lot better than its last gen, which is the DS.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
i thought it was more powerfulcampzor
Not processing wise, but it has more ram and a more modern GPU. I think some of you people are crazy though. 3DS games look really good. They are on par with the Wii (other than resolution of course) and sometimes look better. For an affordable handheld that's great.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Audacitron

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

logicalfrank

The excuse is that it's a handheld that is much smaller than a Wii, includes two screens (one 3D and one touch) and is sold for a reasonable price. GBA didn't have better graphics than an N64 and the DS didn't have better graphics than a GameCube. PSP doesn't looke better than PS2 and PS Vita doesn't look better than PS3. Your phone doesn't have better graphics than a a gaming PC from five years ago. It's handheld. It looks a lot better than its last gen, which is the DS.

Wii isn't last gen, it's current gen (although some would see that as debatable).

If you read the context of what I'm saying, I'm not arguing that it should be better than a Wii, I'm saying it should be better than a Gamecube, or a PS2, or a PSP. Indisputably better. There shouldn't be any doubt about it. At the very least it should be on par.

PSP should be last gen compared to 3DS. There shouldn't be anything to debate or any room for confusion. They shouldn't have to start out slow and work their way up to last gen.

Here's an example of just some random crappy game from 6 years ago on the PSP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8hw-ZWisg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL0EEA76AD5A62E224

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

Audacitron

Wii isn't last gen, it's current gen (although some would see that as debatable).

If you read the context of what I'm saying, I'm not arguing that it should be better than a Wii, I'm saying it should be better than a Gamecube, or a PS2, or a PSP. Indisputably better. There shouldn't be any doubt about it. At the very least it should be on par.

PSP should be last gen compared to 3DS. There shouldn't be anything to debate or any room for confusion. They shouldn't have to start out slow and work their way up to last gen.

Here's an example of just some random crappy game from 6 years ago on the PSP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8hw-ZWisg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL0EEA76AD5A62E224

Nintendo has no control over how poorly third parties make games, you said yourself the hardware is there so who are you blaming?

Revelations and Kid Icarus stand above PSP to me

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Audacitron

Kid Icarus is still an example of a game I think should look a lot better than it does. Look at all those low poly backgrounds and over-compressed textures.

While it is a noted improvement on the sort of warmed-over N64 games we had been getting, frankly they should be coming out with better than this a year into the release.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bonesawisready5

Kid Icarus is still an example of a game I think should look a lot better than it does. Look at all those low poly backgrounds and over-compressed textures.

While it is a noted improvement on the sort of warmed-over N64 games we had been getting, frankly they should be coming out with better than this a year into the release.

Audacitron

This is your opinion. A lot of us think the games look fine, even better than previous console gens.

The 3DS is the successor to the DS, not the GameCube or Wii.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Yeah, it would of been more expensive. Atleast the quality of the 3DS matches that of a GameCube in some manner. I say wait another 10-20 years for a portable Wii...

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Yeah, it would of been more expensive. Atleast the quality of the 3DS matches that of a GameCube. I say wait another 10-20 years for a portable Wii...

BigBen11111
10 to 20 is pushing it a lot. I'd hope for Much much much better than portable wii in that time. The wii isn't a big jump from GameCube.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I don't have a problem with the graphics of the 3DS. Sure, it's not the best but it's at least competitive. The difference in graphics between Vita and 3DS is nowhere near as large was it was with the PSP and DS.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
It can look better than games on the Wii. And it would have been a fools errand to make it really powerful, Sony is learning that lesson right now, then there are a bunch of other technical reasoning behind it. So TC, if your goal was for the hardware to bomb and therefore have no games to play...then no, it wouldn't have killed them to make it more powerful.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Yeah?

GreekGameManiac
and if it was so what? Is that all you care about? Games are want matter not graphics at all.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GreekGameManiac

and if it was so what? Is that all you care about? Games are want matter not graphics at all.wizdom

Still could be better.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="wizdom"]and if it was so what? Is that all you care about? Games are want matter not graphics at all.GreekGameManiac

Still could be better.

Considering they sell it at a loss right now until some time passes by I think no, it couldn't be better. Literally.

If you don't enjoy it then you should find another platform that meets your needs.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="wizdom"]and if it was so what? Is that all you care about? Games are want matter not graphics at all.bonesawisready5

Still could be better.

Considering they sell it at a loss right now until some time passes by I think no, it couldn't be better. Literally.

If you don't enjoy it then you should find another platform that meets your needs.

>_>

Can you just R-E-A-D!

I.never.said.i.don't.enjoy.it!

I just said it'd be more impressive if they pushed it abit,just abit.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ANIMEguy10034

>_>

Can you just R-E-A-D!

I.never.said.i.don't.enjoy.it!

I just said it'd be more impressive if they pushed it abit,just abit.

GreekGameManiac

Since you never mentioned whether or not you enjoy it, we all assumed that you do not. Wanting a more powerful handheld obviously means that you're not fully satisfied by it.

The more power it has, the more expensive it has to be in order to make a profit. Pushing it a bit would not have made much of a difference.
Nintendo's current situation would have been worse if the 3DS was more expensive.

gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

In some ways it is.

It has a modern gpu capable of running modern shaders and whatnot that the wii does not. It has more RAM as well than the wii.

I'd also argue that it has a better screen than the psp, as although the resoloution is lower the screen is smaller so ti actually equals at out at roughly the same from what I can see comparing motor storm acrtic edge and mario kart 7. If anyhting especially with the 3d the 3ds looks a tad better. Although that almost certainly is partly down to the slightly cleaner cartoon asthetic.

The loading times for mk7 were also drastically shorter :P

DanBal76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DanBal76
Member since 2003 • 1950 Posts

I'm fine with the power of the 3DS. What i really would have liked was a second circle pad, so i wouldn't have to buy the circle pad pro.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Audacitron

In some ways it is.

It has a modern gpu capable of running modern shaders and whatnot that the wii does not. It has more RAM as well than the wii.

I'd also argue that it has a better screen than the psp, as although the resoloution is lower the screen is smaller so ti actually equals at out at roughly the same from what I can see comparing motor storm acrtic edge and mario kart 7. If anyhting especially with the 3d the 3ds looks a tad better. Although that almost certainly is partly down to the slightly cleaner cartoon asthetic.

The loading times for mk7 were also drastically shorter :P

gettingpatches

well, one advantage to the 3d is that it can make things look bigger. I'd sort of been expecting the opposite, where the 3d would make everything look like a miniature.

But actually, it can seem like you're looking through a window to a bigger screen. Higher resolution would be nice, but may not be possible at this stage in the technology.

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

Yeah?

wizdom

and if it was so what? Is that all you care about? Games are want matter not graphics at all.

This is such a cliché. Since when do we have to choose one or the other? There are, in fact, games that excel at both.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Considering how poorly it was selling when it was at $250, more expensive hardware likely could have killed the system.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Audacitron

Considering how poorly it was selling when it was at $250, more expensive hardware likely could have killed the system.meetroid8

It also had one awful launch lineup. The price cut was probably a bit more drastic than necessary. Once they got the price below $200, it becomes a much more attractive proposition. But Mario games and Christmas were what really turned their fortunes around.

And on the contrary, slightly better hardware and one or two visually spectacular games might have generated enough excitement to overcome the increased price.

Remember, one of the difficulties they were having was getting the message out that it was more than just a DS with a new gimmick screen. If they'd had something that visibly went far beyond the capabilities of the DS, that might have done the trick.

Dragrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dragrath
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Considering how poorly it was selling when it was at $250, more expensive hardware likely could have killed the system.Audacitron

It also had one awful launch lineup. The price cut was probably a bit more drastic than necessary. Once they got the price below $200, it becomes a much more attractive proposition. But Mario games and Christmas were what really turned their fortunes around.

And on the contrary, slightly better hardware and one or two visually spectacular games might have generated enough excitement to overcome the increased price.

Remember, one of the difficulties they were having was getting the message out that it was more than just a DS with a new gimmick screen. If they'd had something that visibly went far beyond the capabilities of the DS, that might have done the trick.

True the launch line up was terrible I only got it for Ocarina of Time 3D...
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
It wouldn't have killed them but it sure would have killed the battery.