With handhelds like the DS, do I see a trend?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

When the first game boy advance came out, it had the problem of not having a bright screen. Then the gba sp came out, which had a brighter screen, then the micro. When the ds phat came out, it had problems like a dark screen, bad button placement, etc. Then the lite, which was brighter, was released, along with the dsi.

Isn't there a trend here in that the first handheld did not have a bright screen? So, isn't there a strong chance that Nintendo will release the next handheld with a screen/screens which have weak lighting? I mean, is it possibly a way for Nintendo to push us to buy different versions of the same handheld? I dunno about you, but I think it's unfair.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

I totally agree that its unfair, when the GBA was released, I bought it only to find the SP being released a year later; I was left with a handheld only usable in daylight. When the DS came out, I thought I was being smart and bought the Lite thinking it was the final iteration. Two and a half years later, BAM! DSi appears..... Yes it is a trend and Nintendo dumbs down their first version on purpose to ensure people buy the next. Some one should sue them.

Iron_Scarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Iron_Scarecrow
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts
Hmmm, it could have something to do with the technology and trying to keep the systems affordable. It is progressive when you think about it, the SP was lit by side lights, I'm not sure about the micro, then the DS was backlit and the Lite has a brighter backlight. I'm not fully up to date on the history of lighting screens though.
Mr_Matthews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mr_Matthews
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts

I think it mostly has to do with Nintendo getting their handhelds out the door as quickly as possible to ensure that they are relevant when they hit the market (especially with competition on the way). And obviously Nintendo sees the advantage in this, as they continue to work on the device and release new editions as soon as they're able.

You're forgetting this one, too:

1. Original Gameboy
2. Gameboy Pocket (smaller size, better screen)
3. Gameboy Lite (Japan only - backlit Gameboy Pocket)
4. Gameboy Color

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

You just noticed this?

Also, the first handheld of every generation, is big and ugly.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
I have bought the Gameboy pocket, the Gameboy Advance, and the Nintendo DS lite. The rest generally have only little additions but you can still play the new games on the older handhelds. Of course the Original Gameboy, and Original DS are just as capable as running games as the pocket and lite. I find my DS lite to be quite sufficient. I have no intent to get a DSi. So I honestly don't care what Nintendo does, as long as they support games to run on their older edition handhelds. Otherwise they would have to completely revamp the hardware to something that would be far more powerful for me to even consider buying it.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

I agree it was unfair but that is life.

kelliemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kelliemonster
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

Actually, the original GBA SP didn't have the nice back lit screen we are used to today. It did have a light you could turn on that made it slightly better, but the true back lit version wasn't released until late 2005, I believe. That was after the original DS phat was already on the market for almost a year, and then in 2006 the Nintendo DS lite was released with a bright screen. So the GBA and the DS gained a bright screen around the same time, probably due to some market research or whatnot that said users would play more with a brighter screen.

I absolutely do not think the next handheld would have a dark screen.

kelliemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kelliemonster
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo didn't sit there and release the darker gameboys, then release a brighter one, and say "Hey! Let's make the DS a darker screen so we can eventually upgrade it." The original DS was already finished by the time they thought of/were able to implement the brighter screen.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

I think it mostly has to do with Nintendo getting their handhelds out the door as quickly as possible to ensure that they are relevant when they hit the market (especially with competition on the way). And obviously Nintendo sees the advantage in this, as they continue to work on the device and release new editions as soon as they're able.

You're forgetting this one, too:

1. Original Gameboy
2. Gameboy Pocket (smaller size, better screen)
3. Gameboy Lite (Japan only - backlit Gameboy Pocket)
4. Gameboy Color

Mr_Matthews

I have the original gameboy, its so heavy that it can knock down someone if you throw it at someone`s head. :P