Wish Nintendo forced AntiAliasing...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

I don't know about you, but in this day and age, jaggies are becoming more and more obvious as people start purchasing bigger TVs, or moving on from a CRT to a nice LCD/TFT/Plasma/etc Wide-screen system which are crystal clear in comparison...

What I never understood (even back in the GameCube times), is why Nintendo never made it a requirement for developers to use anti-aliasing to help prepare the system better for higher-quality displays, as aforementioned television sets bring those jaggies out like nothing other, making titles that otherwise look decent on your average-joe 19" CRT, look utter crap on anything else.

Last I checked the Wii's GPU (including the GameCube) has native support for Anti-Aliasing, and I really did wish the majority of developers made use of it, rather than copping out just because they couldn't code a decent enough engine to be able to sacrifice 2-3 FPS just to make the display all the more better looking.

Oh well, my rant's over, discuss.

Avatar image for beans_n_wiiniis
beans_n_wiiniis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 beans_n_wiiniis
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Yeah, noticed the jaggies today when I got component video cables. They are horrendous in WiiSports....
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
I agree. I haven't seen one Wii game with Anti Aliasing and it pisses me off. I'm pretty sure the GPU is capable of at least 2X AA.
valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts
I think the Wii is going to be the worst offender of the jagged lines problem due to the scaled back capabilities of the graphics. Still, I'm completely happy with every Wii game I have purchased to date. Not a bad one in the bunch. I can't say the same for my XBox 360 purchases. There are a LOT of lame ducks in my 360 library.
l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 l8bitz
Member since 2004 • 3251 Posts
Ugg, I think Nintendo not putting more attention into graphics will be it's downfall.
thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
nice rant hehe, i gotta say you have some strong points there but the reason for the wii's current inferior graphics is because developers just began many games and whats already been put out has been crap simply because thay know that theres tons of wiis out there and that that their game, while not millions, will aoutomatically sell no matter how bad looking it is. Anti-Aliasing WILL BE USED.you just have to give it some time.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand why they don't use it. Red Steel, TP and GodFather would have look SO much better.
valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts
Are you sure it's not being used? I mean... maybe the jagged lines would be worse? And the 2x AA makes them the way they currently are? How do you know there is no AA in play at all?
CampusVoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CampusVoice
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts
It's strange how so many games actually look far better on regular old CRTs. This new technology is supposed to be so much better, but the fact is that plenty of games actually look much, much worse on them. For example, Wii Sports has no jaggies on a regular TV and I haven't noticed any jaggies on ANY Wii games on my regular TV.
Ganon_919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ganon_919
Member since 2007 • 2016 Posts

It's strange how so many games actually look far better on regular old CRTs. This new technology is supposed to be so much better, but the fact is that plenty of games actually look much, much worse on them. For example, Wii Sports has no jaggies on a regular TV and I haven't noticed any jaggies on ANY Wii games on my regular TV.CampusVoice

That's because the HDTV's and the like highlight everything about the game, whether it be good or bad.

p_angelofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 p_angelofdeath
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

I agree,by the way How many games on the Wii using AA ?

:question:

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
i agree. NINTENDO, LISTEN: AA your games!!!!! it's bad enbough you don't have 720P, but those jaggies make the graphics even worse.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

It's strange how so many games actually look far better on regular old CRTs. This new technology is supposed to be so much better, but the fact is that plenty of games actually look much, much worse on them. For example, Wii Sports has no jaggies on a regular TV and I haven't noticed any jaggies on ANY Wii games on my regular TV.CampusVoice

It's because CRTs use an interlaced display (it draws every odd line, than every even line) which hides jaggies a fair bit unless they're really horrible in the game, which cause the "dancing ants" issue with diagonal lines on static graphics (like Zelda:TP's minimap).

Not to mention CRTs tend to bleed colours together so edges get slightly blurred in the process as well, it's why low-resolution videos on CRTs (like 320x240) still appear smooth.

Jaggies are a crapload more obvious when in progressive scan (480p) as it draws the whole screen one per frame, making those unsmoothened edges more apparent.

Anyhow, it's not a problem with the Wii's graphical capabilities, I've seen some GameCube titles that look better than any current Wii titles out now, which had AntiAliasing enabled (Soul Calibur2 comes to mind). If the Wii is 1.5x (or whatever it was) more powerful than the GameCube, there's no excuse why AA couldn't be enabled without major sacrifices in the graphical output.

Hell, the Wii is running in fricken' 640x480, Anti-Aliasing is a joke for a video card to perform at that resolution, my last PC could do 8x AA easily there, Wii should be easily capable of 2/4x if the developers are not incompetant.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
Don't just complain on these boards, send Nintendo an e-mail. If they get a surge of e-mails about the same topic, they will do something.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
While I do agree -- to the point where I've considered unhooking my Wii from my big-screen HD LCD to return it to the 27" CRT -- I'll say that I would RATHER Nintendo focus on putting out games other than lousy minigame collections and previous-gen ports than focus on graphics. I mean, if it's going to be about the graphics, give me graphics. But if it's going to be about the games, GIVE ME GAMES, Nintendo!
__barr__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 __barr__
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts
Did it occur to any of you that AA might be too ressource hungry for most games? On the Wii, AA is a simple switch to activate (but the resulting image can only be 16-bit then -65536 colors). So if it's THAT easy to have AA on the Wii, why didn't any developer use it? Do you really think it's just to piss you guys off ? Come on.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand why they don't use it. Red Steel, TP and GodFather would have look SO much better.m_machine024
TP needed the anti aliasing and better textures, otherwise it would have been the best graphics easily and even comparable to X360 titles, i swear sometimes in the game when the jaggies are off and the texure is just right.....ooooooooooooooooh my god!!!!!!
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
While I do agree -- to the point where I've considered unhooking my Wii from my big-screen HD LCD to return it to the 27" CRT -- I'll say that I would RATHER Nintendo focus on putting out games other than lousy minigame collections and previous-gen ports than focus on graphics. I mean, if it's going to be about the graphics, give me graphics. But if it's going to be about the games, GIVE ME GAMES, Nintendo!Generic_Dude
nintendo gave you the game of the year in 2007 and in 2006 (TP) so don't blame them, blame the 3rd party developers, they are the ones putting all that crap there.