Wireless vs. Wired

This topic is locked from further discussion.

busty8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 busty8
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I was wondering which one is better to connect the wii to the internet. Is it better to use a wireless connection or a wired one. My computer uses highspeed cable and i want to connect the wii for online gaming purposes.
Avatar image for darkkagomelover
darkkagomelover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 darkkagomelover
Member since 2006 • 1327 Posts
I say wireless connection. I connected to the internet on the botton part of the house and then turned my WII on from my bedroom which was 35 steps from the computer room.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
In theory wired is much faster. However, modern WiFi is already faster than most home internet connections.
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

A wireless home network is much more convenient. And as far as speed is concerned, your ISP will be the bottleneck, not the wireless network.

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts
To be fair since the Wii needs a USB adaptor to go online they will be much slower than if it had a built in Ethernet port or it has been as far as testing those sort of devices on a PC goes, so if anything the Wii is optimised for wireless more and a wired one should only be used if you dont have a wireless router.
NFS102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 NFS102
Member since 2007 • 27011 Posts

Wired is usually faster, but wireless works fine. It's really your preference.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts
I had to connect my wii via usb wifi dongle attached to my computer. Due to frustrating connection timeouts and the dongle just up and dying on me, I purchased a usb internet connector. I have few complaints. The one main one being the fact that Smash Bros. is laggy to the point of being unplayable. But I hear that from a lot of other people with faster connections so I can only assume that it is because of Nintendo. I really hope they get this fixed, I'm getting tired of waiting. :evil:
Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Innocent_J
Member since 2006 • 1821 Posts

usually wired is supposed to be faster. thats the theory.

but nowadays wireless connections are often faster than wired.

wireless is prefered by everyone.

pyben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pyben
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
ihave wireless, never tried wired. so i cant really tell wich one is faster, but wireless is less wires, lol.......
Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Innocent_J

ihave wireless, never tried wired. so i cant really tell wich one is faster, but wireless is less wires, lol.......pyben

haha very true

whitefirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whitefirex
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
wireless, is really fast and alot cleaner at that..
whitefirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whitefirex
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
wireless, is really fast so I say wireless ftw
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
To be fair since the Wii needs a USB adaptor to go online they will be much slower than if it had a built in Ethernet port or it has been as far as testing those sort of devices on a PC goes, so if anything the Wii is optimised for wireless more and a wired one should only be used if you dont have a wireless router.zenszulu
Show me someone who has a 480mb/s or faster wireless connection and your statement is valid (hint: no one does, especially not Wii owners who have only wireless-G). Otherwise, wired is still substantially faster, even if it has to be put through USB. On top of that, there is no where in the United States where you can get an internet connection fast enough to max out the speed of USB, so it's moot.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
To be fair since the Wii needs a USB adaptor to go online they will be much slower than if it had a built in Ethernet port or it has been as far as testing those sort of devices on a PC goes, so if anything the Wii is optimised for wireless more and a wired one should only be used if you dont have a wireless router.zenszulu
Show me someone who has a 480mb/s or faster wireless connection and your statement is valid (hint: no one does, especially not Wii owners who have only wireless-G). Otherwise, wired is still substantially faster, even if it has to be put through USB. On top of that, there is no where in the United States where you can get an internet connection fast enough to max out the speed of USB, so it's moot.
The real difference between wireless and wired is in reliability. You're much more likely to experience lag or connection interruptions with wireless simply because the wireless signal can be interfered with, while a wired connection is shielded from such threats. Realistically though, wireless is getting better all the time and should be just fine for the average Wii user.
Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Innocent_J

[QUOTE="zenszulu"]To be fair since the Wii needs a USB adaptor to go online they will be much slower than if it had a built in Ethernet port or it has been as far as testing those sort of devices on a PC goes, so if anything the Wii is optimised for wireless more and a wired one should only be used if you dont have a wireless router.theragu40
The real difference between wireless and wired is in reliability. You're much more likely to experience lag or connection interruptions with wireless simply because the wireless signal can be interfered with, while a wired connection is shielded from such threats. Realistically though, wireless is getting better all the time and should be just fine for the average Wii user.

He/she said it.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
They both have advantages and disadvantages. If you already have a wired network the USB adapter might not be a bad choice. If you're going to set up a wireless network anyway, you might as well bite the bullet now and not waste money on the USB adapter. Speed isn't really an issue because most peoples' broadband connection is so much slower than either network connection.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts

i would have to say wired... well mostly because i have comcast. the fastest internet provider!

Its not Complex Its Comcast!

DJ_CrashMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ_CrashMan
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts

i would have to say wired... well mostly because i have comcast. the fastest internet provider!

Its not Complex Its Comcast!

bobdood99

Not going to comment on the corny Comcast statement however most people complain about Comcast but it has served me well.

Back on topic: Wireless. It's just more convenient for most people.

7arek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 7arek
Member since 2007 • 725 Posts
alright, based on my own terrible experiences i'd say go wired. I swear that little white box is wiitarded, i have a fantastic connection for three weeks (with my router) then it all of a sudden kicks out for a couple days. Eventually i cracked and got one of those stupid Nintendo Wifi USB things... bad idea. I had so much problems with that cheap piece of plastic. i'm on the edge of just going wired by now (seeing as my ps3 is wired to my router, and it's connection is flawless).
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
The USB Wifi adapter works like a champ for a lot of people.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11985 Posts
Go with what N intended and you'll be fine.