Will Zelda: The Ocarina of Time be released on the DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chubah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chubah
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

This is one of the best games ever released, definitelly better than Phantom Hourglass and I was wondering whether there is a chance it will be released on the DS.

Many N64 games were converted to DS, so I don't believe it's impossible.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
im not sure how the controls will work...
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

There is a thread that incorporates your question/this idea to a good extent.

... But, to answer you, no one knows. I'd like to see it as OoT is one of my favorite games, of any time period, on any console.

shocka-delica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shocka-delica
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts
as a ps1 kid I never played it when it first came out, so I would buy it without question on DS
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 elpooz

as a ps1 kid I never played it when it first came out, so I would buy it without question on DSshocka-delica

You should check it out on Wii or Gamecube man, great game :)

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#6 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Would I buy it if it were made: Yes! (I can see them adding some extra content, like minigames and such as they did with SM64DS.

Do I think they're going to make it anytime soon: No. At least not until after Spirit Tracks, after that maybe.

Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts
as a ps1 kid I never played it when it first came out, so I would buy it without question on DSshocka-delica
These were my thoughts, except i have it on wii.
prinnyhero25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 prinnyhero25
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
I already have the gamecube version, so if they did do that, I don't think I would picking it up, but it would be interesting to see how the controls work.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I gave up on that. I wanted it so bad for so long...

Japanese text made it look more real. Hehe.

Edit: I didn't make this, but found this one on Google.

johnbrutus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnbrutus
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts
I'm eagerly waiting for Zelda:Spirit Tracks.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#11 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

No. Nintendo's already released it onto the Wii's Virtual Console service, so why release it on the DS? Especially sense the Wii's version only costs 1000 Wii points ($10). A DS version would probably cost $30 or $40, which is a bit much considering the price of the aforementioned Wii version.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

No. Nintendo's already released it onto the Wii's Virtual Console service, so why release it on the DS? Especially sense the Wii's version only costs 1000 Wii points ($10). A DS version would probably cost $30 or $40, which is a bit much considering the price of the aforementioned Wii version.

c_rake

But you would be able to play Ocarina of Time in a box, with a fox or anywhere!

Edit: What I'm trying to say is, it would be portable. Hehe.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
aw no, not more "OoT is the best thing that ever happened to mankind" and "OoT should get ANOTHER port"! i cant stand it!
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 c_rakestraw  Moderator

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

awssk8er716

Yeah, but even then, the portability aspect of it isnt enough to justify bringing it to the DS. Maybe it would if there was some new content, but seeing as the game is already in a perfect state, something like that could potentially ruin that depending on how would be implemented.

Then there's the matter of controls, which I imagine wouldn't be very good (at least for movement) on the DS. As without an analog stick, movement becomes a lot more difficult in a three-dimensional game like Ocarina of time. Super Mario 64 DS suffered form that particular issue, and that made it unplayable.

The only way they could get it to work on the DS, would require them to completely overhall the game for the DS. Which, again, is rather pointless considering they already ported it onto the Wii without much effort. And I doubt Nintendo would want to spend the time and resources necessary to make this happpen.

Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts

Chubah
It might not be impossible, but given the size of Ocarina of Time, it wouldn't be easy. Besides, they should consider remaking one of the Zelda games fewer people have played like Oracle of Ages/Seasons.
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

awssk8er716

lol, somebody's been reading Dr. Seuss?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

c_rake

Is the MasterQuest version on the VC. (I already have it on the GCN) But I wouldn't mind a Portable OoT plus Masterquest. Actually I would rather have Majora's Mask since I never played it and I haven't put the Wii online to download it yet. Majora's Mask would be tougher though since it required the Expansion Pack on the N64. It might work as a DSi exclusive since the DSi is more powerful then the DSlite, DS, and I think N64. But I don't know if Nintendo would make a DSi Exclusive that isn't downloadable.

giga_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 giga_yeti
Member since 2008 • 313 Posts
[

c_rake
um... they can release it for dsi ware and store the game on your SD card. but Nintendo aren't very clever so... they're not going to make it for ds, dsi, or dsiware
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Nintendo hasn't said anything about it, and I doubt they will.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I'd rather that Nintendo remake it then port it. Imagine the OoT Hyrule, the best of the best, with awesome graphics and a wider range of "world". The music could be orcastrated and I'd love if you could customize your horse or something. I've been dying to have Link ride a Gerudo stallion like Ganondorf's!

If they ported it onto the DS, it would just be an excuse not to remake it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Is the MasterQuest version on the VC. (I already have it on the GCN) But I wouldn't mind a Portable OoT plus Masterquest. Actually I would rather have Majora's Mask since I never played it and I haven't put the Wii online to download it yet. Majora's Mask would be tougher though since it required the Expansion Pack on the N64. It might work as a DSi exclusive since the DSi is more powerful then the DSlite, DS, and I think N64. But I don't know if Nintendo would make a DSi Exclusive that isn't downloadable.

Nintendo_Ownes7

No, it isn't. It's just the original version.

Majora's Mask is in the same situation as Ocarina of Time -- which is too say, it won't be released on the DS. As it's already available on the Wii's Virtual Console. And as I explained in one of my earlier posts, they probably don't want to go through the trouble of adapting it for the DS.

um... they can release it for dsi ware and store the game on your SD card. but Nintendo aren't very clever so... they're not going to make it for ds, dsi, or dsiware giga_yeti

If DSiWare is anything like WiiWare (and I imagine it is), then there's probably a size limit on games. Which means a game like Ocarina of Time (which I hear is pretty big), wouldn't be able to be released through that service.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

If DSiWare is anything like WiiWare (and I imagine it is), then there's probably a size limit on games. Which means a game like Ocarina of Time (which I hear is pretty big), wouldn't be able to be released through that service.

c_rake

Believe it or not, ocarina of time cartridge size is only 32 MB. It can be ported to the DS easily, but i don't know about the DSiware.

Drkslayer_JP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Drkslayer_JP
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
Yeah it would be impossible to get that on Ds. But it would be awesome if they were to put Ocarina of time on DS
jorler333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jorler333
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

Its highly unlikely. With it already on the Virtual Console I doubt it will make another release on the DS. Too bad :(

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 c_rakestraw  Moderator

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

meiaman

Believe it or not, ocarina of time cartridge size is only 32 MB. It can be ported to the DS easily, but i don't know about the DSiware.

I figured as much. But that doesn't mean it will.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Probably not and perhaps for the better, there's no analog stick on the DS and touch controls would just be awkward from the game's camera view.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
No. If Nintendo wanted to release it, it would've already came out by now, maybe even a few years ago.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

It would be nice. Just like how I would even take a remake of Super Smash Bros 64 just so I can have a portable Smash Bros game on the go.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
I think they should, I hope so. A portable Ocarina of Time would be awesome. They could pack it in with Master Quest and/or Majora's Mask and other features. Hey, I'd buy that. Super Mario 64 DS was released, then Super Mario 64 came out on the VC, so I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't port OOT to the DS. The VC also got Castlevania, Metroid, and other titles that were on the GBA before the Wii was out. The Wii is also getting GC titles (Pikimin, Metroid...) So there really isn't a reason to not do it.
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 elpooz

To whoever said OoT should be remade, NO! Just no. OoT is truly the only perfect game ever made. Nothing was wrong with it. Remaking it would be a HUGE mistake. It should never be adjusted or changed in any way.That game > my life.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It should! Along with Super Smash Brothers. SM64 works pretty well on the DS so I don't see what's the problem.

Seth961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Seth961
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts

I think it shouldn't. Whenever they remake something, they always add something that ruins the game. It's possible but I don't think that much people would buy it. If anything, they should be remaking SSB64 for the DS. They had the best stages and didn't overdo it with brawlers like they did with SSBM and SSBB. But if it had to be an other Legend of Zelda game it should be one of the GBC or GB games or Majora's Mask. But they haven't released any info so don't expect anything before 2015.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

This is one of the best games ever released, definitelly better than Phantom Hourglass and I was wondering whether there is a chance it will be released on the DS.

Chubah
Where would the c-buttons go?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS

talk about revival...

nice to see my opinion from 5 months ago... and it hasn't changed :D

OoT is NOT the best thing that ever happened to mankind. it's not even the best zelda in the series, in my opinion (and in aonuma's opinion too). granted it was revolutionary, but the other games perfected what OoT created.

time to move on.

also, how many versions of a single game do you need? N64, master's quest for N64 (if you own a 64DD), OoT & MQ for gamecube, collector's edition, and VC. and the OoT 2D project that closed due to casualties.

xabu1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xabu1
Member since 2007 • 2590 Posts
thing is that there is already a new LOZ game coming out, so I don't see a remake coming out any time soon...
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

the DS is strong enough for a OOT remake. it is comepletely possible, but only through a remake or engine modification. the reason is because unlike the DS the n64 supported texture filtering while the DS does not inorder to save CPU usage. The DS has more than a enough Vram (128kb for each screen) compared to the n64's 4kb texture cache & the RAM (4mb) is way faster. N64's ram caused alot of problems for the devs. MM on the other hand might cause issues. 8mb was needed to run the game. the DS has 4mb, but considering its faster, some optimizations could be done to the game inorder to get it running. I still dont see it happening though. its a waste of nintendo's time and money.

BTW regarding OOT2D. there have been numerous versions of the game made by several different people. All of those people FAKED their deaths inorder to stop the project. Dampe is a good example of someone who did this. his friend siad he died in a car crash , but he was just faking. now every demo of the game has a trojan in it.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

awssk8er716

Would you eat (ahem-play) it in a train? Or In the rain? On topic, I think OoT used the extra RAM pack for the N64 so I don't think its possible...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

destroyerHHH

Would you eat (ahem-play) it in a train? Or In the rain? On topic, I think OoT used the extra RAM pack for the N64 so I don't think its possible...

i'm still against, but lemme just correct this: no it didn't. majora's mask did.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I'm eagerly waiting for Zelda:Spirit Tracks.johnbrutus

Thank You Thank You Thank You 8) I love It when people are 100% right.

Why would who want a remake of one of the greatist games of all time? It would just tarnish the image of that great game. How would the second screen work? it just can't be black. Miyamoto will thankfully never let this happen and I would burn both e DSs if this happened.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BattleTurtles

To whoever said OoT should be remade, NO! Just no. OoT is truly the only perfect game ever made. Nothing was wrong with it. Remaking it would be a HUGE mistake. It should never be adjusted or changed in any way.That game > my life.

elpooz
What about the incredibly slow text speed, bland characters, and the owl?
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BattleTurtles

[QUOTE="johnbrutus"]I'm eagerly waiting for Zelda:Spirit Tracks.Cruse34

Thank You Thank You Thank You 8) I love It when people are 100% right.

Why would who want a remake of one of the greatist games of all time? It would just tarnish the image of that great game. How would the second screen work? it just can't be black. Miyamoto will thankfully never let this happen and I would burn both e DSs if this happened.

No you wouldn't.
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="destroyerHHH"][QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

BrunoBRS

i'm still against, but lemme just correct this: no it didn't. majora's mask did.

Sorry, my bad. Although I still think we won't get a remake because of this interview with Eiji Aonuma (Spelling)?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
aw no, not more "OoT is the best thing that ever happened to mankind" and "OoT should get ANOTHER port"! i cant stand it!BrunoBRS
thennnnn dont click the thread?
mariomanxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 mariomanxxx
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts

Hope so cus i alvays want it to play it.

Like Zelda a lot:D

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]aw no, not more "OoT is the best thing that ever happened to mankind" and "OoT should get ANOTHER port"! i cant stand it!Serraph105
thennnnn dont click the thread?

....... post from 5 months ago says hi. @destroyerHHH - just read the part where he talks about the remakes, and i agree with it. maybe if they remade the game people would realize it's not as awesome as they remember >.>