Wii's best platformer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It's pretty obvious that the Wii is THE current gen console for platformer fans so I was curious to see how all the great platformers on wii do against each other. It would also be interesting to hear what makes a platformer great in your own opinion.

Of the platformers I own

1) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Most consistantly original and imaginative platformer I have ever played)

2) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (The level designs are just brilliant especially when you attempt to obtain every star coin)

3) De Blob (I don't know why, but it's just addicting to paint a colourles world)

4) Super Mario Galaxy (Excellently executed, but didn't really blow me away with brilliant new concepts like the second did; they played it too safe)

5) Rabbids Go Home (This game was surprisingly good, but those loading sequences can really get on your nerves after a while)

6) Klonoa (I beat this game 100%, like every single platformer I own, but I didn't like it)

7) Sonic and the Secret Rings (A decent attempt fraught with sketchy controls and level design)

I own DKCR, but it's still too early for me to pass judgement

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I would say the original Super Mario Galaxy.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 so far, but i still need to play DK country

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I think a poll should be made for side scrollers as Mario galaxy 2 will probably kill the competition. It should be KEY, DKCR, NSMBWii, Sonic Colors (a lot of sidescrolling), and wario land shake it.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
Donkey Kong Country Returns
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
First Galaxy by far. Smart use of 3D without camera control becoming an issue, unique gameplay mechanics and a **bleep**-ton of creativity. The second game was fun too but I can't in good conscience call it creative in comparison, and in many ways it did things worse.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I have to go with Mario Galaxy at the moment, cause I'm still playing DKC Returns and which is really good by the way.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#8 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 because it built on the first games amazing varied gameplay.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
First Galaxy by far. Smart use of 3D without camera control becoming an issue, unique gameplay mechanics and a **bleep**-ton of creativity. The second game was fun too but I can't in good conscience call it creative in comparison, and in many ways it did things worse.DJ_Lae
Like how? The way I see it SMG2 does pretty much everything better than SMG1 aside fromthe creativity factor.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]First Galaxy by far. Smart use of 3D without camera control becoming an issue, unique gameplay mechanics and a **bleep**-ton of creativity. The second game was fun too but I can't in good conscience call it creative in comparison, and in many ways it did things worse.Shinobishyguy
Like how? The way I see it SMG2 does pretty much everything better than SMG1 aside fromthe creativity factor.

Both games are fantastic, there was just less magic in the second. The removed the 'void' levels (where a portion of the level was visible and you had to track along with it or fall into nothingness) in favour of the boring Yoshi fruit levels, basically axed Ghost Mario, and served up bosses that were mostly just variants of those from the first game. And other than Yoshi and the shadow Mario portions there were really no creative new additions to gameplay. The bonus world was pretty insulting, too, consisting of ever so slightly revised versions of levels from the first game (The Mario 64 nod was nice, but only served to show how ugly the level was) and a terrible boss rush planet. In the second game's defense, though, they did remove the awful Manta race levels, but replaced them with the nearly as awful flying race levels. And the obnoxious garbage removal stars were replaced with nearly as obnoxious monkey challenges. Also, the second playthrough with hidden green stars was a lot more interesting than simply replaying the entire game you just played, but as Luigi.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Galaxy 2
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

SMG2 is the best I think. I haven't played DK or Kirby yet though.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

no tomb raider anniversary? i am dissapoint..platforming to the extreme.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 so far, but i still need to play DK country

JuarN18

Super Mario Galaxy 2 because it built on the first games amazing varied gameplay.

chocolate1325
Answers acquired.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

New Super Mario Bros Wii at the moment. I have yet to play Sonic Colours, DK Country, or Kirby yet though. All of which I think might be better, but I don't know.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy 2.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

of what ive played, NSMBWii is the best 2d and SMG2 is the best 3d. but i havent got DKCr yet and i have a feeling that might be the best.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Yeah the Wii doesn have lots of amazing platformers. I guess I'd have to go with the safe choice of Super Mario Galaxy 2 though.

Khocol4te

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Khocol4te
Member since 2010 • 284 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the best imo.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Since when Super Paper Mario is a platformer!? My vote goes to Super Mario Galaxy ONE, not 2.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
There should really be a poll explicitly between Galaxy 1 & 2. :P
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

WOOT! I just got DKCR in the mail. It was supposed to come on friday but it came today :). I cannot wait to play it here shortly. And to top it off my friend found out that he DOES have my (missing for 2 years) legend of Zelda Collectors Edition disc. Figured I had to share that last part with everyone :P.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Donkey Kong Country Returns. I actually want to replay levels after I beat them rather than abanon it on the shelf to collect dust once I'm done.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]Since when Super Paper Mario is a platformer!? My vote goes to Super Mario Galaxy ONE, not 2.

It's more like an action RPG with platforming elements. It does require a lot of jumping though, so I can see it being called a platformer. Although with all the Wii's huge number of platformers it really doesn't need mentioned.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]First Galaxy by far. Smart use of 3D without camera control becoming an issue, unique gameplay mechanics and a **bleep**-ton of creativity. The second game was fun too but I can't in good conscience call it creative in comparison, and in many ways it did things worse.DJ_Lae

Both games are fantastic, there was just less magic in the second. The removed the 'void' levels (where a portion of the level was visible and you had to track along with it or fall into nothingness) in favour of the boring Yoshi fruit levels, basically axed Ghost Mario, and served up bosses that were mostly just variants of those from the first game. And other than Yoshi and the shadow Mario portions there were really no creative new additions to gameplay. The bonus world was pretty insulting, too, consisting of ever so slightly revised versions of levels from the first game (The Mario 64 nod was nice, but only served to show how ugly the level was) and a terrible boss rush planet. In the second game's defense, though, they did remove the awful Manta race levels, but replaced them with the nearly as awful flying race levels. And the obnoxious garbage removal stars were replaced with nearly as obnoxious monkey challenges. Also, the second playthrough with hidden green stars was a lot more interesting than simply replaying the entire game you just played, but as Luigi.

I truely feel that the second game was far more varied and original in its concepts:

-Yoshi added a varied way to play

-Spin drill allowed you to drill through planets to reach higher areas

-using mario's spin attack to switch panels to jump on

-Gravity effects that spin in a never ending circle in Tall Trunk Galaxy

-Running up walls at super speed in high tail falls

-navigating a world that's falling apart from sawblades

-The ever repeating walkways that vanish at the edges in Haunty Halls

-Blocks that appear and disappear to the beat of the music in Beatblok galaxy

-Gravity that shifts acording to your ground pounding in flipsville galaxy,

-creating pathways for chomps in chompworks (more puzzle oriented than mario usually is)

-navigating a whole level that only appears within the radius of Yoshi's light in sweet mystery galaxy

-Navigating a bobomb that appears below the glass cylander your on to break the glass below you in Space Storm

-The reverse slide in which you must dodge cylindrical enemies from behind you in Slipsand

-the sand bird that breaks and reappears moments later in slipsand galaxy

-The fire balls that melt momentary lava circles in the ice quickly followed by icicles that create momentary ice patches in the lave in shiver burn galaxy

-The constantly folding world of Boo moon galaxy

-a flat surface that pops up into something you can platform on and wall jump with in boo moon galaxy

-Navigating tiny planetoids as large lava monsters constantly pass through them in Melty Monster Galaxy

-The whole rolling sequence in Melty Monster Galaxy

-The large spiinning platforms and wheels with only certain points to be safe as well as be able to climb up on in reverse in clockwork ruins

-A level where you can only see your suroundings when the beat allows light to flash in Flash Back Galaxy

-controlling walljumpable ledges with your spin attack in Flip-Out galaxy

The first Mario galaxy didn't even have a third of the originality that the second has

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best on the Wii
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

SMG series for me

vguy555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vguy555
Member since 2007 • 4625 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
If 3D games are included, Galaxy 2. If not, DKCR
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34713 Posts

DK Country Returns is shaping up to take that place..

EasyNormalHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EasyNormalHard
Member since 2010 • 264 Posts

De Blob why you ask??

Simple its getting no respect for being a really good original game with great controls and wall jumping paint splattering good fun. It was one of the first 3rd party games on the Wii that actually got it right who would of known Painting like a 2 year old would be a blast.

Zack and Wiki Quest for Barbaros treasure should be up there also as it was a great game as well enough said probably would get my pick over De Blob. Hey if you got a rpg platformer in paper mario then you can have a adventure puzzle platformer game also.

NSMB is a been there done that already with a few twists and it gets old fast with its gameplay and lack of a story. Don't get me wrong with NSMB it is a great game but after the nostalgia wears off what your left with is a remake really of super mario brothers on the nes.

DKCR haven't played it so i got nothing to say yet other then it looks damn good and if I played it probably would be my pick.

Super Mario Galaxy dare say it I have not played it yet as well. Yeah yeah I'll get around to it. Everyone say its really good but i played the heck out of the N64 mario game so im guessing same formula.

Super Paper Mario just no they need to make it a rpg again.

Kirby Epic Yarn have not played it not really catching me to ever really try it sorry Kirby catch you next time.

Lost Wind never heard of it never even seen it before that i can recall.

In conclusion I am trying to stay up to see what if anything I get for black friday lol and i wanna see what riots and crazy things are happening on the news im fliping back and forth the channels.:P

Yeah i know i had a worth while post going here but then that wouldn't be me now would it. Do you know what a good platform game they should make next? I bet you know.:DHint: hes chasing a cow down below

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
SMG2 with epic mickey
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Definetly Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. followed Donkey Kong Returns.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy is the best platformer. While Galaxy 2 is also great, it just didn't blow me away in the same way the first did. It felt more like a revisit. The first time I jumped around a small planet in Super Mario Galaxy was amazing. It was one of those genuine great gaming moments for me.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is also a great platformer. It's a bit hard at times though. I died like 40 times at the last boss, but that can be because my HDTV has a delay of 6 ms, and if you've beaten the game, you know that fast reflexes are required to beat the last boss.

Avatar image for FranticDarkness
FranticDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FranticDarkness
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts
My Top Wii Platformers 1)Super Mario Galaxy 2 2)Super Mario Galaxy 1 3)Donkey Kong Country Returns 4)Sonic Colors 5)New Super Mario Bros. Wii I could never really get into De Blob though...
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#36 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Apart from the obvious titles, I'd also like to give Rabbids Go Home a mention. It wasn't the absolute best Wii platformer, but it was a refreshing take on the genre, and very well executed at that. The levels were neatly designed, the game offered a nice mix of accessibility and challenge, and the character editor was incredibly deep. Certainly one of my favourite Wii titles, and certainly overlooked.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#37 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Probably one or both of the Mario Galaxies.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34713 Posts

Donkey Kong Country Returns is also a great platformer. It's a bit hard at times though. I died like 40 times at the last boss, but that can be because my HDTV has a delay of 6 ms, and if you've beaten the game, you know that fast reflexes are required to beat the last boss.

OniStrat

My friend's TV has delay too. And the most annoying thing is he doesn't even notice. I notice it really well, and I haven't said anything. I don't want to be the one telling him his ginourmous new expensive TV has delay when playing games. Is there no way to fix this? Cause.. That would be a real deal breaker for me if I was going to get a TV..

1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2 for 3D and Donkey Kong Country Returns for 2D.