This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Kind of a random question but I couldn't find anything on it. Is the Wii U going to have a more regular online setup like XBL or PSN or is it still going to be like the wii's. Thanks!

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700

Anyone?

euro96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 euro96
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

It will be closer to Xbox Live than the Wii, but will still be free. Rather than have an account based on the system, you have a personal nintendo network account so you can have multiple accounts on the same system.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700

It will be closer to Xbox Live than the Wii, but will still be free. Rather than have an account based on the system, you have a personal nintendo network account so you can have multiple accounts on the same system.

euro96

So will adding friends and playing with them be similar to xbl then? No more of that stupid friend code stuff? If so, awesome.

shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

euro96

Where did you read that? I want a link.

euro96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 euro96

[QUOTE="euro96"]

shadow_Metroid

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/The_Nintendo_Network

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700

[QUOTE="shadow_Metroid"]

[QUOTE="euro96"]

euro96

Thanks but what about friends lists and the like?

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="euro96"]

[QUOTE="shadow_Metroid"]

Pirate700

There will be a friends list, I believe they mentioned it before. They just haven't shown it yet.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
All I have really seen was friend notifications on the wii game pad while playing zombie u. Not really sure how it works
euro96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 euro96

[QUOTE="euro96"]

[QUOTE="shadow_Metroid"]

Pirate700

I believe all that is known is there will be a simplified version of friends code system, but no one really knows what this means. What I expect is that you will be be able to add friends via a friends code, but you will have a personalised profile on the nintendo network. The friends code will just be a simple code to find specific people you know.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="euro96"]

euro96

I believe all that is known is there will be a simplified version of friends code system, but no one really knows what this means. What I expect is that you will be be able to add friends via a friends code, but you will have a personalised profile on the nintendo network. The friends code will just be a simple code to find specific people you know.

That's really disappointing. I don't get why they can't just add people by their account handle and see when they're on or off.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="euro96"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]Thanks but what about friends lists and the like?

Pirate700

That's really disappointing. I don't get why they can't just add people by their account handle and see when they're on or off.

They said it was because they wanted people to be able to have whatever screen name they wanted without worrying about it being taken. So if you want to be Bob, you can, because your FC is different. Personally I prefer it that way, XBL is such a freaking hassle these days because so many names are taken, thats why you see all these ridiculous l33t sp34k names on there.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="euro96"]

WreckEm711

They said it was because they wanted people to be able to have whatever screen name they wanted without worrying about it being taken. So if you want to be Bob, you can, because your FC is different. Personally I prefer it that way, XBL is such a freaking hassle these days because so many names are taken, thats why you see all these ridiculous l33t sp34k names on there.

Well regardless, I hope you still can just add someone to your list and have them show up when they log in.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Friend Codes are still there but they aren't say how. They're saying it will be more like XBL/PSN and have unified accounts but I've been saying for a very long time that they wouldn't have made the 3DS use one universal friend code per system for the brand new Nintendo Network if they didn't plan on doing the same for Wii U

Personally I don't mind. Have a FC for my Wii U but also have a user name. It will just give you two ways to add people online.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]That's really disappointing. I don't get why they can't just add people by their account handle and see when they're on or off.

Pirate700

Well regardless, I hope you still can just add someone to your list and have them show up when they log in.

You can. In fact, your friends, who's online, what they're playing, and the option to join them will be the first thing that shows up when you turn on the console.
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-friend-codes-and-miiverse/

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

The Wii U's online service will be much closer to XBL and PSN than the Wii's was. There's a social network built into the system called Miiverse, Nintendo has said It will act as a communication hub of sorts, where players can see their friends' Miis gathered around whatever game they're playing.

"The Miiverse is a brand-new network communication system that lets gamers from around the world share experiences, discuss games and discover new content. Using their personalized Mii character, players enter Miiverse and see games, applications or entertainment content that either they have interacted with recently, expressed interest in learning more about or that their friends are using or discussing.

From here they can challenge their friends to play together, ask a question about a difficult level or discover new elements of their favorite games they never knew existed. After a notable achievement or other share-worthy moment, players can pause their game or application and seamlessly post messages to the Miiverse community." - Nintendo.com

You'll also be able to video/voice chat with others by using the Wii U GamePad's built in mic and camera.

Here's a video for Miiverse that was shown a few months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKLWEQqTzQQ

Pirate700

On the 3DS once you add someone you can see if they're online, what game they're playing, what their favorite game/app is (if they have one), and you can jump directly into an online match with them from the friends list using the 'Join Game' button if the game supports that feature. I expect the Wii U to have an improved version of what we've seen on the 3DS.

Was there anything else you wanted to know?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Me at work with fellow gamer: Want to exchange gamertags? Fellow gamer: Sure. I'm FellowGamer. You? Me: JustPlainLucas. Fellow gamer: Cool. Let's exchange Wii U friend codes. Yours? Me: Uh.. ... hm... Come on Nintendo. Get rid of the fu cking codes already.
CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I'm hoping for no more codes.