This topic is locked from further discussion.

colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 colonel_beeb
Member since 2006 • 2020 Posts

Ok, so codejunkies have released a new wii freeloader that allows you to play import wii games. This will probably be of great interest for the European Wii owners like myself who would have had to wait until August to get our hands on a copy of SSBB.

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader__EF000595.aspx

However, i understand that Nintendo made a statement on the subject of the freeloader some time ago. The general jist was that they didnt approve of it and wouldn't allow it to be used on their console. My question is, do you think Nintendo will release a patch to stop the freeloader from working on the Wii?

Note to moderators: discussion IS permitted on this topic as long as blatantly illegal activities are not introduced into the topic as well. Please contact a g-mod or m-mod before taking action on this thread. Thanks.

--Elraptor

killings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 killings
Member since 2006 • 350 Posts
Ooh, thanks... I'll take a look at it...
ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts

Ok, so codejunkies have released a new wii freeloader that allows you to play import wii games. This will probably be of great interest for the European Wii owners like myself who would have had to wait until August to get our hands on a copy of SSBB.

However, i understand that Nintendo made a statement on the subject of the freeloader some time ago. The general jist was that they didnt approve of it and wouldn't allow it to be used on their console. My question is, do you think Nintendo will release a patch to stop the freeloader from working on the Wii?

colonel_beeb
yes, yes I do.
killings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killings
Member since 2006 • 350 Posts
Oh and to answer your question, yeah, they probably will if they find it to be that much of a problem, and they really don't approve of it as much as they say.
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 colonel_beeb
It makes me question why the hell codejunkies bothered releasing it to be honest.
ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ag1052
It makes me question why the hell codejunkies bothered releasing it to be honest.colonel_beeb
to make a quick buck off people that dont know that nintendo can do something about it...
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 colonel_beeb

Surely the development cost would outweigh the short term sales of their product?

And ofcourse dont forget that the freeloader is a bit of a niche product.

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ag1052
there is no real way to see what the development cost would be... it could have just been a couple guys trying to see if they could do it or not... plus people see the word Wii on it and think its official, if this does come out it will sell better than it deserves.
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 colonel_beeb

there is no real way to see what the development cost would be... it could have just been a couple guys trying to see if they could do it or not... plus people see the word Wii on it and think its official, if this does come out it will sell better than it deserves.ag1052

I really dont think anyone could mistake this for an official product. Its currently only sold on the codejunkies website, i refuse to believe that any Nintendo fan who has the ability to buy import games would not know that it was unofficial. It's a niche product for a niche community of gamers. It wont sell well even if Nintendo do nothing about it. I wonder why Nintendo are even bothered by it.

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ag1052

I wonder why Nintendo are even bothered by it.

colonel_beeb
the answer to that is the same as whatever the reason that they made it region locked in the first place.
waelzleb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 waelzleb
Member since 2008 • 468 Posts
its gonna cost alot
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 colonel_beeb
[QUOTE="colonel_beeb"]

ag1052

the answer to that is the same as whatever the reason that they made it region locked in the first place.

Firstly that isn't really answering my question. Secondly, if importing bothers them then why the hell did they make the DS region free?

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ag1052
[QUOTE="ag1052"][QUOTE="colonel_beeb"]

colonel_beeb

Firstly that isn't really answering my question. Secondly, if importing bothers them then why the hell did they make the DS region free?

I know that didnt answer your question... I didnt answer your question because I dont know the answer and part of the reason I didnt know the answer is because of part two you added...

Jaysonguy is pretty set on the belief that it helps protect each region's retailers (if we could have imported SSBB from japan then there would have been tons of fans that would have done that and that is just that many less people who would have purchased it from American retailers)... if thats the answer or not I dont know but it very well could be.

also congrats on your 2000th post.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
They will, no question.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ag1052"][QUOTE="colonel_beeb"]

colonel_beeb

There were technical limitations that made region locking the orginal gameboy impractical. This is why Nintendo handhelds started off region free. It would be awkward to make the sucessive systems region locked after this. Plus there's the economic benefit of owners traveling abroad with their handhelds being able to purchase games wherever they went.

colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 colonel_beeb
I know that didnt answer your question... I didnt answer your question because I dont know the answer and part of the reason I didnt know the answer is because of part two you added...

Jaysonguy is pretty set on the belief that it helps protect each region's retailers (if we could have imported SSBB from japan then there would have been tons of fans that would have done that and that is just that many less people who would have purchased it from American retailers)... if thats the answer or not I dont know but it very well could be.

also congrats on your 2000th post.

ag1052

Cheers, i'd been stuck at 1994 for many months until i was spurred to make a post on this issue. It's a confusing subject. I buy almost all my DS games from play-asia (living in the UK) because NOE are so very slow in releasing them over here. We haven't even got PW: trials and tribulations for the DS but PW4 has already been released in America. If they really wanted to stop people buying import enablers they would try to do world wide releases instead of staggering them. I find it an insult that i have to wait up to 6 months to get a uk release of a game that has only had several other languages included. I understand that it was initially stated that they couldn't make enough copies any sooner because they're machines were working at full capacity and it would be a waste of money to buy more machines. Exscuses after exscuses.

That's probably correct, and if it weren't for the DS being region free i would fully agree. Obviously NOE won't make any money, which is against their interests. However, if they can put the effort in to patching it, its time and effort they should be putting into releasing games within a good timeframe of the American and Japanese release.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

colonel_beeb

Ya some versions are blocked by Nintendos firmware. Can this thing boot copied games cuz that would explain why?

colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 colonel_beeb

There were technical limitations that made region locking the orginal gameboy impractical. This is why Nintendo handhelds started off region free. It would be awkward to make the sucessive systems region locked after this. Plus there's the economic benefit of owners traveling abroad with their handhelds being able to purchase games wherever they went.
ThePlothole

Hmm, that arguement seems a little odd.

Perhaps it has more to do with console games costing more and therefore the losses of importing to retail being greater?
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 colonel_beeb

Can this thing boot copied games cuz that would explain why?zaku101

No. I expect if it were, codejunkies would probably be closed down and under criminal prosecution.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]There were technical limitations that made region locking the orginal gameboy impractical. This is why Nintendo handhelds started off region free. It would be awkward to make the sucessive systems region locked after this. Plus there's the economic benefit of owners traveling abroad with their handhelds being able to purchase games wherever they went.
colonel_beeb

Hmm, that arguement seems a little odd.

Perhaps it has more to do with console games costing more and therefore the losses of importing to retail being greater?

I think it's that Nintendo really doesn't want you to import, period. They want you to buy things locally (wherever "locally" may be).

Handheld games may not cost as much, sure, but at the same time it is a bigger market. Plus you'd think that any loss would be considered negative, so there has to be other reasons.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Note to moderators: discussion IS permitted on this topic as long as blatantly illegal activities are not introduced into the topic as well. Please contact a g-mod or m-mod before taking action on this thread. Thanks.