wii for serious gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drgoth2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 drgoth2006
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

Alright, so essentially; im a hardcore PC gamer. I want to break into the console market and was looking at the Wii, but does it have any serious and good games? Im a huge fan of mario so that's why I was looking into the Wii but does it have any other serious franchises or good games?

Thanx in advance

thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts

If you are a huge fan of Mario, then you should definitely look into picking up a Wii.

As for other franchises, Nintendo has a lot of great ones...

Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., WarioWare, etc.

Things are a little quieter on the third-party front, but games like No More Heroes and Okami may hold you over until 2009, when the Wii is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of (potentially) high-quality games from third-parties.

Also, if you are into retro gaming, the Virtual Console has a lot of great, hardcore games available for download.

drgoth2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drgoth2006

Thanx man, thats definitely spurred me on in my search for a good console! lol

thanx

starkiller4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 starkiller4
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
The wii doesnt have many serious games apart from mario and zelda I think its mainly for little kids or families
drgoth2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drgoth2006

The wii doesnt have many serious games apart from mario and zelda I think its mainly for little kids or familiesstarkiller4

Well my main thinking behind this is that the majority of the games i want from the xbox 360 come to the PC anyway... and I just plain don't like the PS3. Wii is the most likely option for me (+ my love of mario games!)

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

If you already play a lot on the PC then a Wii is a good choice, as it offers exclusives you won't find on the PC, unlike the other two consoles.

Its also good since you said yourself you like Mario games and it does have super mario galaxy, which is fantastic. It's also a good console to play with a bunch of friends and like people said, it has Virtual Console for retro titles and some good third party games for the core like No More Heroes and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles as well as games like MadWorld coming up.

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
Knowing that you are a Hardcore PC gamer(you have lots of FPS games and WRPGS) I suggest getting a Wii, the Wii's games are really different(something that you can only play on a Nintendo console) and theyre a nice break from your FPSes or WRPS.
drgoth2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drgoth2006

Thanx for all your help guys, I think Ive decided that I'm going to pick up a wii when I've got a little bit more money lol.

Maybe see you guys online at some point.

The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts
Metroid Prime 3..........thats all i have to say
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Hmm this is almost like asking for console recommendation. It's tricky asking this on the wii board, but i know it's hard to get a serious reply on the other boards.
What kind of gamer are You? If You don't get bored with any games so far, then it doesn't really matter much what You choose, as all platforms offer lots of good stuff.

The wii's main strength is that it will really enrich Your library. It's got a huge amount of variation. Among the quality games there's basically no equivalent on any platform. If You're willing to reach out and try a lot of new things then this is a great system, but that does take guts and an open mind. You know Yourself better than i do. For example, would You be able to enjoy the wackiness and rebel styIe of No more heroes, even if the open world parts are not up to par? And would You give a game like World of Goo a go, while You don't really have anything You can compare it to? And would You be willing to play something that is really fun, no matter whether it is really cute or gory?
For parties and offline multiplayer the wii can be really fun but that also depends on Your friends.
Check out the game recommendation sticky to see whether it has something You'd like to try some time.
Contrary to what people say on other boards it has plenty of titles, especially for newcomers.

My personal favorites are something like:
Metroid prime 3
Super mario galaxy
Mario kart
No more heroes
Wario land shake it
Mercury
Umbrella chronicles
Super smash bros brawl
Okami
Resident evil 4
Boom blox
Blast works
Zelda TP
Batallion wars 2

upcoming:
The conduit
Fatal frame 4
Little king's story
Demon blade
House of the dead overkill

And on wiiware:
Toki Tori
Lost winds
Megaman 9

upcoming:
World of Goo
Animales de la muerte

As You can see, each and every one is very different in art styIe, challenge and features.
If You also missed out on some classics the VC can be worth it alone. But that is very personal.
PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 PainGivingLink
Member since 2006 • 1316 Posts

Quality/Core titles like - Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Corruption, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii those titles can last you a super long time. Great games to say the least. This holiday season, there ain't much to look forward too, other than Animal Crossing (with WiiSpeak). Though next year (2009) we have Little King's Story, The Conduit, Punch-Out!! Wii, and many more. And, if you're into the retro games you can always hit up the Virtual Console amazing classics with the best price tag.

Goodluck on your choice.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

This article can help you

http://wii.ign.com/articles/913/913996p1.html

drgoth2006