Wii Component Cables-Are They Worth It?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fick1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fick1122
Member since 2006 • 2135 Posts
I just started playing my Wii on my HDTV and the graphics are a lot grainier and choppier than on an SDTV. Do the component cables make the graphics look better, or is it not worth it?
mankeyador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mankeyador
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
well it is a rip-off since they only support 480p. but I would still get them for games like mario galaxy that look stunning on a big-screen.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

It really depends on your HDTV. Some are pretty good about upscaling 480i signals, some (well, okay, most) aren't. Still, 480p isn't great, and the only real difference you'll notice with component cables is that there's slightly less flickering and some more vibrant colours.

If you're just using composite (yellow/red/white) cables and not s-video, though, there will also be cleaner edges and less crawlies on red/black objects.

Keep in mind, of course, that even at 480p the Wii will look like ass on an HDTV. That's just the way it is.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

It really depends on your HDTV. Some are pretty good about upscaling 480i signals, some (well, okay, most) aren't. Still, 480p isn't great, and the only real difference you'll notice with component cables is that there's slightly less flickering and some more vibrant colours.

If you're just using composite (yellow/red/white) cables and not s-video, though, there will also be cleaner edges and less crawlies on red/black objects.

Keep in mind, of course, that even at 480p the Wii will look like ass on an HDTV. That's just the way it is.

DJ_Lae

You've always seemed like a knowledgeable sort, so let me pick your brain for a moment. I'm picking up an HDTV this month. It's primarily going to be for movies. Maybe as the HD systems get more titles I like I'll pick one up, but for now all I have is the Wii. Is it even worth my time to hook it up to an HDTV or will overall it still look better on the my regular standard TV? The last line in your above post sort of confused me.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
yes itll look twice as good than with composite cables but itll still look better on a sdtv:cry:
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

You've always seemed like a knowledgeable sort, so let me pick your brain for a moment. I'm picking up an HDTV this month. It's primarily going to be for movies. Maybe as the HD systems get more titles I like I'll pick one up, but for now all I have is the Wii. Is it even worth my time to hook it up to an HDTV or will overall it still look better on the my regular standard TV? The last line in your above post sort of confused me.Robio_basic

Well, by looking like ass I just mean that it's still a far cry from HD cable or satellite or any games on the PS3 or 360. I don't think it looks any worse than it does on an SDTV (though some people seem to disagree), and by hooking a Wii to an HDTV you still get the benefit of widescreen, which most games support.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]You've always seemed like a knowledgeable sort, so let me pick your brain for a moment. I'm picking up an HDTV this month. It's primarily going to be for movies. Maybe as the HD systems get more titles I like I'll pick one up, but for now all I have is the Wii. Is it even worth my time to hook it up to an HDTV or will overall it still look better on the my regular standard TV? The last line in your above post sort of confused me.DJ_Lae

Well, by looking like ass I just mean that it's still a far cry from HD cable or satellite or any games on the PS3 or 360. I don't think it looks any worse than it does on an SDTV (though some people seem to disagree), and by hooking a Wii to an HDTV you still get the benefit of widescreen, which most games support.

Okay that's sort of what I thought. I'm mainly interested in the widescreen capability so I guess I'll at least get something out of it.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts
If the TV has a good upscaler built-in, go with the component cable hook-up. It'll be a lot smoother appearing on the new screen running in progressive mode (480p) vs. interlaced on the old tube, and you'll have the option of widescreen also as mentioned.
waqster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 waqster
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

Hell yeah. I just purchased some like 2 weeks ago due to my new HDTV and i must say theres alot of difference. The colours are more vibarant, you can see the colours more vivdly, less blur and the Wii menus looks awesome.

It depends on what cable you get though dont get the cheap ass ones get the official Nintendo ones, may cost more but it looks sharper.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

my wii looks fantastic with component cables and my 42" HD TV running 480p

without a doubt get them.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Yeah I would get them. While 480p is HD, it beats 480i.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts
Yes, the difference is actually quite remarkable and noticeable. Games like Super Mario Galaxy and Okami looks so much better with Component Cables. The color are brighter and more vibrant, the images are sharper and more detailed. I'm definitely happy that I got one.
SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
Yes get them you'll definitely notice the difference. They bring out the colors better and it just looks fantastic.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
Not really. It does make a difference but not that much of a difference