Wii Channel = Bad Influence?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

penamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 penamat
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

I just downloaded the 'Nintendo Channel' on my Wii. I was watching the "How to use" Video, when something caught my eye. When the instructor shows you how to find games by title, he types in M-A-R-I, and after he types that in, pause the video. Below the typed letters, there is a word bank full of similar words, and one of them is: M-A-R-I-Juna. Now that made me smile. Go and see for yourself how Nintendo let that slip. Ok, yes I know it is not that amazing, but still.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They didn't let it slip, that's how the program works.

It's to save people from typing out entire words, the program is also used in cell phones a lot. They can't omit words because then when people used the web browser and other things they'd be lacking words.

shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 shark2k6
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

It's to save people from typing out entire words, the program is also used in cell phones a lot. They can't omit words because then when people used the web browser and other things they'd be lacking words.

Jaysonguy

They can so omit words. Seeing as how you used the example of that feature also being used on cellphones, I'll stick with that example. If you try to type any curse words with that feature, such as the f-word, it does not come up. Seems to me like they omitted that word.

-Shark2k

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]They didn't let it slip, that's how the program works.

It's to save people from typing out entire words, the program is also used in cell phones a lot. They can't omit words because then when people used the web browser and other things they'd be lacking words.shark2k6

They can so omit words. Seeing as how you used the example of that feature also being used on cellphones, I'll stick with that example. If you try to type any curse words with that feature, such as the f-word, it does not come up. Seems to me like they omitted that word.

Marijuana isn't a swear word.

Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Picklechugger
Member since 2004 • 1465 Posts

I think Nintendo omits curse words, but not other things. Marijuana is what it is, and it's in the dictionary, so hey why not?

shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shark2k6
[QUOTE="shark2k6"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]They didn't let it slip, that's how the program works.

It's to save people from typing out entire words, the program is also used in cell phones a lot. They can't omit words because then when people used the web browser and other things they'd be lacking words.bluezy

Marijuana isn't a swear word.

Ok fine. How about the word penis My cell phone doesn't let me get that word with this feature and last I checked it isn't a swear word either. My point is actually strongly backed up by showing that that word was also omitted.

-Shark2k

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

shark2k6

-Shark2k

Yes they CAN omit words but it would make no sense.

The program they use is used for everything. IN my cell the same program is used for everything and that means I have an entire dictionary of words to choose from. My cell uses the same program from texting to it's web browser just like the Wii does. It has a basic dictionary in it and that word is going to come up.

shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shark2k6
[QUOTE="shark2k6"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

-Shark2k

The program they use is used for everything. IN my cell the same program is used for everything and that means I have an entire dictionary of words to choose from. My cell uses the same program from texting to it's web browser just like the Wii does. It has a basic dictionary in it and that word is going to come up.

See what you just said there is much different than saying they can't omit words. The latter is obviously a downright false statement, which is what I was pointing out.

-Shark2k

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
It seems pointless and I don't really know why this is being made a big deal.
izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts
Meh. I didn't notice it. But let's not make a big deal out of this. And the Nintendo Channel is awesome. I tried Ninja Gaiden DS and it is pretty cool.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="shark2k6"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

shark2k6

-Shark2k

See what you just said there is much different than saying they can't omit words. The latter is obviously a downright false statement, which is what I was pointing out.

-Shark2k

I meant they can't omit words as in "they can't omit words because then it's going to screw with your browser options when it comes to words" not "they can't omit words because it's impossible"

Sorry for the mix up.

superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

From my experience the Nintendo browser dictionary isn't as comprehensive as it could be. I find myself having to switch to the qwerty keyboard more often than I'd like to.

I don't think this marijuana thing is a big deal, but it is an interesting tidbit that I didn't notice.

dark_mask_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 dark_mask_91
Member since 2007 • 3004 Posts
Meh. I didn't notice it. But let's not make a big deal out of this. And the Nintendo Channel is awesome. I tried Ninja Gaiden DS and it is pretty cool.izayoi
Yeah I tried Ninja Gaiden DS as well and i gotta say its pretty awesome
penamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 penamat
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts
No it is not a big deal at all, I just thought it was funny. I am not bothered by it. The word just came up and was noticeable on a family video. I just thought it was interesting to share.