Why do people think the Wii will always be a "casual" system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Anyone who's done mild research would know that Nintendo's targeting the casuals this year and the hardcore's later this year.

Nintendo has learned their mistakes from the DS, they almost lost the battle *obviously recovered though* to the PSP because they waited so long to advertise to the casual market. They tried the gamer market first, which is pretty hard for a launch system not having too many games. This time Nintendo is doing opposite. Right now they're advertising to the casuals with Wii Sports and what not, while later this year we're be getting Mario, Smash, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and other third party titles such as NiGHTS, DDR, Treasure Island Z, etc. Nintendo's confirmed 27 Wii titles in development for 2008, they can't all be for casuals simply because casuals don't buy that many games. Not to mention due to the Wii's massive sales devs will flock to it and actually are starting to develop many titles *as read in Bloomberg*. It seems to me that more people are paying attention reading news and trying to convert with everyone, then actually looking at what titles are in development and looking back at history. 

We are be ignored.....for now, but later this year it will be a totally different situation.

Post copied and pasted from the "We are being ignored" thread.

reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts

Why do they think that? Because people are impatient. If they don't see it now, they don't think it's ever going to come.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It scares the other companies that Nintendo has finally found a new source of gamers for video game systems and this is their idea of a smear campaign to hurt them with established players.

Fear and small mindedness, nothing more.

Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts

I agree with the TP. Nintendo is going to take care of us even though we are going to see 10 times more casual games than ever before. Sadly too many devs think that casual means easy. They are taking old franchises, dumbing them down, and calling them family friendly. RE:UC, they said they made the difficulty lower to appeal to the Wii's mass market... what mass market is going to play RE:UC????? seriously. Its a hardcore genre and hardcore gamers want to play a game that is deep and challanging. Even Miyamoto* has said they are starting to notice games like TP aren't selling as well and they want more wii friendly games... good and all, but don't skimp on depth and challange just so my parents can play too.

END RANT

TLHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 TLHope
Member since 2003 • 57 Posts

I dont know. I've had a Wii since it came out.  It use to be my favorite out of the three next gen systems.  But as time goes on and I look 2 or 3 years into the future, I kinda wonder how the Wii can hang with the graphic powerhouses.  Especially since the novelty of it is wearing off for me. 

I love the Wii, and thats why i worry about it.  Whats going to happen in the coming years?  Will the Wii be left behind when the GTAIV's and MGS4's come around?  Or will Nintendo keep this thing interesting despite it's inferiority in the hardware department.

bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
People think this because they are to impatient to wait for the hardcore games. Most people know that harcore games take much longer than casual games. So the reason its all casual games right now is because they dont tkae long to make, while hardcore games take around a year at least before they can be perfect.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dencore

I agree with the TP. Nintendo is going to take care of us even though we are going to see 10 times more casual games than ever before. Sadly too many devs think that casual means easy. They are taking old franchises, dumbing them down, and calling them family friendly. RE:UC, they said they made the difficulty lower to appeal to the Wii's mass market... what mass market is going to play RE:UC????? seriously. Its a hardcore genre and hardcore gamers want to play a game that is deep and challanging. Even Miyamoto* has said they are starting to notice games like TP aren't selling as well and they want more wii friendly games... good and all, but don't skimp on depth and challange just so my parents can play too.

END RANT

Goten_king

Twilight Princess sold very good everywhere BUT Japan. And that is ONLY because consoles are a secondary system in Japan while handhelds are primary. Gamers buy the hardcore games for handhelds while consoles are just a once in a while thing. 

proudeskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 proudeskimo
Member since 2004 • 1762 Posts
They think that because one ignorant fanboy mentions it, then it spreads.
GizmoVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 GizmoVirus
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts
The Casual game market is what the industry needs. Sure they may be simple, but if your from my generation ( Atari 2600/C64 etc) you know that it was "simple" games that got us hooked in the first place. People want to just be able to pick up a controller and start playing, with out learning what all 8 buttons do. Sony has used the casual market for many years. PS1 had a million games on it, most of them pretty basic games to appeal to the casual gamer. More recently they use the "Party Game" system ie eye toy, singstar and that stupid quiz game. The reason they do well is because there simple to learn. Nintendo knows were its roots are, they know they have to connect wit them again to succeed. casual gamers don't care about frame rates or processor speeds or how much ram it has and how its distributed. Wether you want to admit it or not, Hardcore gamers are only a very small percent of the worlds population. Focusing on us wholly and solely would be a stupid strategy for any games company.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dencore

The Casual game market is what the industry needs. Sure they may be simple, but if your from my generation ( Atari 2600/C64 etc) you know that it was "simple" games that got us hooked in the first place. People want to just be able to pick up a controller and start playing, with out learning what all 8 buttons do. Sony has used the casual market for many years. PS1 had a million games on it, most of them pretty basic games to appeal to the casual gamer. More recently they use the "Party Game" system ie eye toy, singstar and that stupid quiz game. The reason they do well is because there simple to learn. Nintendo knows were its roots are, they know they have to connect wit them again to succeed. casual gamers don't care about frame rates or processor speeds or how much ram it has and how its distributed. Wether you want to admit it or not, Hardcore gamers are only a very small percent of the worlds population. Focusing on us wholly and solely would be a stupid strategy for any games company.GizmoVirus

To be perfectly honest, as long as Nintendo stops the mainstream teenagers from being the primary market I'll be happy. 

Rhaxdric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Rhaxdric
Member since 2006 • 2864 Posts
Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dencore

Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...Rhaxdric

Didn't read the first post huh?

Rhaxdric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rhaxdric

[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"]Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...Dencore

I did, but go ahead and tell me waht games are coming out for the "Hardcore Gamers", and maybe I'll buy a PS3.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"]

[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"]Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...Rhaxdric

I did, but go ahead and tell me waht games are coming out for the "Hardcore Gamers", and maybe I'll buy a PS3.

That sentence made no sense, and the "hardcore gamer" games are listed in the first post that you apparently read. :|

NickActon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NickActon
Member since 2003 • 406 Posts
i was wondering the same thing myself.. the controls are too innovative for it to be considered a ''casual'' system for the long term.  and i think the phrase ''hardcore gamer'' is being tossed around too much in these forums.. hardcore does not equal graphics for those that say the ps3 and 360 are the only systems for ''hardcore gamers''.  i have played video games for like 15 years now and the only next gen system i have right now is the wii.  just because the wii is more popular among so many different age groups does not mean that it is a ''casual'' system no matter who says it is. the wii for the most part is exclusive and a broad standard for future gaming controls.   :)
Rhaxdric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rhaxdric
[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"][QUOTE="Dencore"]

[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"]Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...Dencore

That sentence made no sense, and the "hardcore gamer" games are listed in the first post that you apparently read. :|

Wow, six games. You Hardcore Gamers must be really happy with your purchase!

Fun_4_Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fun_4_Real
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts
^ All you Anti-Wii people are really super annoying. I can't stand the ignorance of most PS3 and XBOX360 fanboys. The Wii got alot going for it too. It has plenty to offer for both casual and hardcores gamer as well you know, maybe even more so than the other systems. Just watch as time goes by, you'll be see alot awesome game and Online games being released for Wii.
Kakua_Omari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kakua_Omari
Member since 2005 • 939 Posts
I guess no one has seen the trailers for no more heroes, sadness, disaster day of crisis, project hammer...........................
liljio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#19 liljio14
Member since 2007 • 2193 Posts
y people think wii is just a casual systems because so far it noly have pick up and play game expect zelda like i was saying all the others gamesare party games which you can play with friends there not much at all games that you play for hours that not minigames
Kakua_Omari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kakua_Omari
Member since 2005 • 939 Posts
I guess in the same sense you can call the ps3 a money pit? no real games worth buying the system for anytime soon that aren't fps's. At least the wii is getting more and more serious games coming out. And I don't think you can really call medal of honor, red steel and call of duty party games, the only real "party" game out now is rayman. And my god learn to spell ^.
liljio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 liljio14

I guess in the same sense you can call the ps3 a money pit? no real games worth buying the system for anytime soon that aren't fps's. At least the wii is getting more and more serious games coming out. And I don't think you can really call medal of honor, red steel and call of duty party games, the only real "party" game out now is rayman. And my god learn to spell ^.Kakua_Omari

i mean any good games for the wii there more party games out for it

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#22 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts
It's not a 100% casual system, there are still many hardcore games coming out but non-gamers and casuals should be welcomed to the Wii as well to increase the user base and get devs interested in creating more games for the system.
liljio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 liljio14

It's not a 100% casual system, there are still many hardcore games coming out but non-gamers and casuals should be welcomed to the Wii as well to increase the user base and get devs interested in creating more games for the system.cobrax80

that true wat are they

king0512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 king0512
Member since 2003 • 468 Posts

Why do they think that? Because people are impatient. If they don't see it now, they don't think it's ever going to come.

reggie186

I think this is because a lot of people have the mindset of "I'll believe it when I see it"

Morgario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Morgario
Member since 2005 • 2534 Posts

Because a lot of western gamers think that a game has to be online and have top notch graphic to be hardcore, which isn't true IMO.

Rhaxdric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rhaxdric

^ All you Anti-Wii people are really super annoying. I can't stand the ignorance of most PS3 and XBOX360 fanboys. The Wii got alot going for it too. It has plenty to offer for both casual and hardcores gamer as well you know, maybe even more so than the other systems. Just watch as time goes by, you'll be see alot awesome game and Online games being released for Wii.Fun_4_Real

Dude, there will be no good online game so long as theres friend codes.

Avatar image for jonathan_rector
jonathan_rector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 jonathan_rector
Member since 2003 • 2734 Posts
It's the reason I bought a 360.  I'm tired of waiting for real games to play.  You can only play party/mini games for so long.
Morgario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Morgario
Member since 2005 • 2534 Posts

It's the reason I bought a 360.  I'm tired of waiting for real games to play.  You can only play party/mini games for so long.jonathan_rector

From the looks of your gamer tag you've missed out on Excite truck, Sonic, Spider-man, Super Paper Mario, Trauma Centre and Monkey Ball BB.   

clarkeyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 clarkeyboy21
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
ye its marketing, first they get parents to see how fun it can be for the family and then 1yr on they release hardcore games - annoying but effective
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dencore

Because a lot of western gamers think that a game has to be online and have top notch graphic to be hardcore, which isn't true IMO.

Morgario

[QUOTE="Fun_4_Real"]^ All you Anti-Wii people are really super annoying. I can't stand the ignorance of most PS3 and XBOX360 fanboys. The Wii got alot going for it too. It has plenty to offer for both casual and hardcores gamer as well you know, maybe even more so than the other systems. Just watch as time goes by, you'll be see alot awesome game and Online games being released for Wii.Rhaxdric

:lol: Owned 

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#31 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
I like when people call it the casual system, because casual systems win console generations.
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
[QUOTE="Dencore"]

[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"]Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...Rhaxdric

I don't know about you guys,but I find these kinds of 360 ps3 only fanbabies to be the worst of the lot.They think they are the real hardcore gamers but actually they are anything but.They buy the two most powerful,similar systems and wont try anything different.To equate hardcore with just power and graphics is ridiculous.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dencore
[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"][QUOTE="Dencore"]

[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"]Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...briguyb13

I don't know about you guys,but I find these kinds of 360 ps3 only fanbabies to be the worst of the lot.They think they are the real hardcore gamers but actually they are anything but.They buy the two most powerful,similar systems and wont try anything different.To equate hardcore with just power and graphics is ridiculous.

PS3 and 360 are more for casuals IMHO, if I wanted FPS's and Tactics game, I'd buy them on the PC where they have better graphics and A.I. and don't have watered down gameplay. *Refering to the genres most of the fanbabies bring up for defense*

Fun_4_Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fun_4_Real
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts
[QUOTE="Morgario"]

Dencore

[QUOTE="Fun_4_Real"]^ All you Anti-Wii people are really super annoying. I can't stand the ignorance of most PS3 and XBOX360 fanboys. The Wii got alot going for it too. It has plenty to offer for both casual and hardcores gamer as well you know, maybe even more so than the other systems. Just watch as time goes by, you'll be see alot awesome game and Online games being released for Wii.Rhaxdric

What do you mean no good online games? I only have one thing to say: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online will OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as with other online games coming out for it as well in the near future.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

They marketed and birthed it as a casual system for new gamers that were previously scared off by big epic games. Whats not to get? There will still be epic, hardcore games but spread very thinly. The 360, PS3 and PC are more that end of the spectrum.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Morgario"]

Fun_4_Real

What do you mean no good online games? I only have one thing to say: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online will OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as with other online games coming out for it as well in the near future.

Try reading both the quotes in order. 

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dencore

They marketed and birthed it as a casual system for new gamers that were previously scared off by big epic games. Whats not to get? There will still be epic, hardcore games but spread very thinly. The 360, PS3 and PC are more that end of the spectrum.

tomarlyn

The DS was the exact same, yet it has more "hardcore" games then the PSP *or pretty much anyother console*. 

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
[QUOTE="briguyb13"][QUOTE="Rhaxdric"][QUOTE="Dencore"]

PS3 and 360 are more for casuals IMHO, if I wanted FPS's and Tactics game, I'd buy them on the PC where they have better graphics and A.I. and don't have watered down gameplay. *Refering to the genres most of the fanbabies bring up for defense*

Your logic makes no sense to me.  How can a console that costs $400 to $600 be for casuals?  Casual gamers WILL NOT buy a console that burns that big of a hole in their pocket.  On top of that, the games cost $60 each!

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="briguyb13"][QUOTE="Rhaxdric"][QUOTE="Dencore"]

[QUOTE="Rhaxdric"]Because the mojority of it's games are for casual gamers...stevenk4k5

Your logic makes no sense to me. How can a console that costs $400 to $600 be for casuals? Casual gamers WILL NOT buy a console that burns that big of a hole in their pocket. On top of that, the games cost $60 each!

I was talking about the gameplay. Why would I want to play Resistence when I have Half-Life 2? Why would I want to play Perfect Dark Zero when I have CounterStrike? Why would I want PSN or Xbox Live when I have free online, with mods, community, tools, etc. 

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

People need to know that "hardcore" gamers (I hate this term because there's no real definitions on it) are only in minority. Casual gamers is the real market. Casual gamers won't pay for an over 500$ console.

I can give you an example on why it's that: GTA and Shadow of Collassus. Gran Theft Auto is one casual franchise and yet it sold more than SoC which it should be an hardcore game. Don't say that GTA is hardcore because it's false. A game that you need to steal cars and kill people is really not hardcore.

Answer this: What's a hardcore gamer?

ilikemilk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ilikemilk007
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts

reggie186

I agree with you, people expect amazing stuff once the Wii comes out. Give it time...

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

reggie186

Agreed. 

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dencore

People need to know that "hardcore" gamers (I hate this term because there's no real definitions on it) are only in minority. Casual gamers is the real market. Casual gamers won't pay for an over 500$ console.

I can give you an example on why it's that: GTA and Shadow of Collassus. Gran Theft Auto is one casual franchise and yet it sold more than SoC which it should be an hardcore game. Don't say that GTA is hardcore because it's false. A game that you need to steal cars and kill people is really not hardcore.

Answer this: What's a hardcore gamer?

chris3116

I just define a hardcore gamer as of how much he plays games and into them. Someone who considers gaming a "hobby" nothing more. 

Also I totally 100% agree with your sig. :)Â