Who else hates stylus only controls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I just sat down to play the new Sonic RPG from Bioware and was revolted (yeah hyperbole, sure) to find that I have to use the stylus to move the characters around.

This isn't the first game to do it (by far), but man, do I hate this. And unless I am wrong, and I probably am, there is not a way to change it. This makes playing the game in certain situations way more difficult (like when you are lying in bed).

I just hate it. What do you guys think?

kijogigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kijogigo
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts
many games already let you choose between stylus movement and d-pad, like in let's say luminous arc for srpgs or ff4 for rpgs, but most of the time people prefer d-pad controls over stylus and they end up calling stylus controls "gimmicks." i like the idea of stylus only controls, but in the case of movement you're right, it'd be better to be able to switch to d-pad, so in that case stylus only controls should be reserved solely for things like targetting things on screen and clicking on menus
JohnnySN1P3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 JohnnySN1P3R
Member since 2008 • 1916 Posts
I hate games that dont let you choose between stylus and d-pad only.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

Why add a touch screen if your not going to use it?

That said, i know what you mean. With a game like the Sonic RPG they should have added the feature, as you said, to walk around with the D-pad. But it's understandable in the combat situations with using the stylus. It may just be me, but it usually doesn't bother me as long as it responds correctly to the touches. For example and in my opinion, like Phantom Hourglass.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
I love it, it just doesn't always work; case in point, Sonic RPG.
xtremetcx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xtremetcx
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts
i dont like sonic RPG....but i like some games with stylus only control....like......Zelda.......
michellez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 michellez
Member since 2008 • 247 Posts
I hate it. I think the touch screen should for the most part be reserved for mini games. My biggest problem with it is how difficult it is to play a stylus-intensive game while lying down.
Nintendoguy325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Nintendoguy325
Member since 2008 • 463 Posts
Games like Phantom Hourglass make the stylus work. Games like Sonic: DB don't make it work. Simple as that.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
I hate them, however some games do them very good, like Zelda...in fact the ONLY game that did it properly. Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

I hate them, however some games do them very good, like Zelda...in fact the ONLY game that did it properly. Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.Soulreavercross

Out of curiosity, have you played Canvas Curse?

Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Link9n17
Member since 2008 • 1491 Posts
my right hand alwats feels like its going to fall off, I dont hate it, it just makes me feel uncomfortable (pokemon ranger=5 less fingers)
slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

I hate them, however some games do them very good, like Zelda...in fact the ONLY game that did it properly. Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.Soulreavercross

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]I hate them, however some games do them very good, like Zelda...in fact the ONLY game that did it properly. Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.WAIW

No I haven't. I don't play Kirby games.

danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

The only stylus based game that i like is Zelda : Phantom Hourglass

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 LuckyChan
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.Soulreavercross

Haha... I find it innovative when I play this game and I love it. Too much for D-pad action game. So it's refreshing to use a stylus to combat. If you only want to play in the traditional way, this game is not for you.

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LuckyChan

This makes playing the game in certain situations way more difficult (like when you are lying in bed).

I just hate it. What do you guys think?

aspro73

I think it's a bad idea to lie and play. It isn't good for your eye and your neck.

If you really want to lie, it's really bad to you. Perhaps you can lie prone.

Otherwise it doesn't matter.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I dunno, I don't mind it especially when they work well. Out of my Collection, my stylus only games would be Brain Age 2, Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Professor Layton and they all control fine. Games like Super Mario 64 were just horrible with the stylus and if I was just limited to that then I would be annoyed. As long as the controls respond well then I'm pretty happy.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.LuckyChan

Haha... I find it innovative when I play this game and I love it. Too much for D-pad action game. So it's refreshing to use a stylus to combat. If you only want to play in the traditional way, this game is not for you.

Agreed. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword played very well with only stylus control. The only problem I had with it was it's length and quick repetitiveness. Trauma Center was pretty good, too.

King_Of_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 King_Of_Pwn
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

I hate stylus only controls! Your not alone, I prefer using the touch screen for just minigames etc.

ALL of the games should offer the option between stylus or D-pad controls, ALWAYS!! 8)

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
This makes playing the game in certain situations way more difficult (like when you are lying in bed).aspro73
I feel you on this one, I usually like to play a few minutes on my DS when I can't get to sleep and playing Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, Clubhouse Games, and others can get uncomfortable. I found that bigger styli help me deal with touch screen only games. I pre-ordered Pokemon Pearl and it came with that special edition stylus with a Plakia on top. It's freakin huge. :lol: More games should give both methods of control, I hate being given limited options when I know there could be more. Animal Crossing did the touch and button control combo perfectly.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Twewy combo of d-pad and stylus is weird but kinda interesting.

Srpgs fails in style using because ppl dont like much to use stylus to move around with it.

But come on, sonic rpg needs the stylus even to open the ******* main menu? What the d-pad is for then? :evil:

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.LuckyChan

i liked it. and ive played (and beaten) both new gen ninja gaiden games. i thought the controls translated well

Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts
[QUOTE="WAIW"]

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]I hate them, however some games do them very good, like Zelda...in fact the ONLY game that did it properly. Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.Soulreavercross

No I haven't. I don't play Kirby games.

That's the only Kirby game I've ever played and it's pretty good. Only non-puzzle stylus controls I've liked. I hated Zelda.

Skater710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Skater710
Member since 2003 • 114 Posts

Totally agree. Stylus only games break my balls!

Give us a choice please! I get mad hand cramps from playing stylus only games :(

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LuckyChan
[QUOTE="LuckyChan"]

[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]Even Ninja Gaiden failed to meet expectations.red_sovereign

i liked it. and ive played (and beaten) both new gen ninja gaiden games. i thought the controls translated well

Yes the stylus-based control is fluid and properly implemented. I have beatened this game too. I have never played an action game in that way until Ninja Gaiden. So I love it very much.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#26 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

For some games, like Trauma Centre, it works well. But for ones where you have to use it to move characters around, i agree. It grows old VERY quickly.

And thanks for warning us about Sonic Chronicles. I didn't know it controled like that

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts
[QUOTE="red_sovereign"][QUOTE="LuckyChan"]

Yes the stylus-based control is fluid and properly implemented. I have beatened this game too. I have never played an action game in that way until Ninja Gaiden. So I love it very much.

exactly...you can never get ninja action from a zelda title

hope tecmo and team ninja gives another addition..id support w/o hesitation

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

When I'm playing in bed (or in the car), I usually get out New Super Mario Bros or Pokemon Diamond :lol: I agree, stylus-only controls can get annoying. I don't hate them, but I like a mix of both.