Which game to buy for my 5 year old?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hardstylr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hardstylr
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Got my boy a DS lite for his bday but don't know which game to get.

He's to young to know which one to get except he's good at picking games such as TMNT, Spiderman, Hulk,,,, but he has never played them, nor seen them being played nor have I.

He wants a game which he can run around and hit and shoot other people. Not that he's a violent 5 year old but he has seen TMNT the movie and Spiderman movies etc.

So yeh, he wants something he can relate to such as these games but it has to be quite easy, has to be a fighting style or shooting style game and most of all , I MUST ENJOY PLAYING IT TOOOOOO!!!!

Please help

death_godlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 death_godlet
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts
Well... you can get him the games that come from those movies you mentioned. I hear the Spiderman one's decent. Hulk, not so much. If you want a good shooter, there's Metroid Prime:Hunters. Contra 4 might be too hard for him though but you might like it.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

"Contra" will frustrate the SHAD out of a 5-year-old... I'm a dang-near professional gamer with the amount of time I put in on my various systems and it would bug the flyin' chit out of ME...

The new "Incredible Hulk" game for the DS is actually getting some decent reviews, and the violence content seems a bit more appropriate to the age. You're smashing villians and all, but it's more cartoon-y violent than bloody-gorey violent... Spidey has more than a few DS titles out and they range from average to good, and the TMNT guys have a few games out, but the TMNT is NOT recommended.

Go to the DS page of this site - See the buttons up there under the Game Spot logo? click the one that says "ds" then go towards the bottom of that page on the left and click "Reviews" tab... you can do searches like "Spiderman DS" and it will list all DS games with Spidey in the title. The reviews are VERY handy, and I find that more often than not they are (forgive the pun) spot-on when it comes to whether or not a game is going to be worth purchase. They will give you all of the goods and bads, and the oh-so-important ESRB rating (NO KIDDING - become versed in these as a parent, they're like movie ratings and they'll tell you if it's suitable for a child - Don't blame the media if you're the one not paying attention, yknow? But I digress. Just get a braincell around what your kid is playing is all I'm sayin).

Hope all of this blather helps! See You Around The Playground!

~Ston3y~

Hardstylr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hardstylr
yeh copy that Stony3y and death_godlet, I am sorta new to the site and have checked out the reviews on a heap of games today, sorta sucks that you can't play them first but thats life, but this site, once i get use to it should be pretty damn handy. I have checked out Metroid Prime hunters and thats kinda like DOOM where you just run around shoot big hairy monsters and stuff. but def. check out the SPidey games RIGHT NOW.... taaaa
Hardstylr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hardstylr
Unfortunately their are no Gameplay vids of Spiderman on this site for DS spewin,,, can anyone point me to one maybe?
valgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 valgear
Member since 2005 • 2087 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gazm4pSmLpI

Theres a gameplay video, theres also alot more in the related section.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Pokemon! It's rated E for a reason!

It's a great game for everyone from kids to adults.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ston3henge

Yes, YouTube.com is a great place to see a variety of games in action... that combined with various feedback in these forums (you can search the forums for threads about a game even if it's long-dormant) which will give you some further insight.

""Metroid Prime: Hunters" is a game that requires a pant-load of dexterity with the stylus, and being an owner of the title I wouldn't recommend that one either, just by the way...

Before you make a purchase, put up a post here about he given title you're looking at... as long as you're patient for a few hours, you can usually net a half-dozen opinions on the game in question, and/ or if you look it up on this site, often-times there will be a variety of user-written reviews in addition to to pro review.

another thing you might consider is a service rather like NetFlix called GameFly.com... they rent titles for all sorts of systems and it's open-ended like the NetFlix system... when you're done with a title or sick of it, you send it back in the mailer and they send the next one in your cue.

Just an idea as apposed to purchase... I'm right there with ya on the warriness of buying games, especially if you aren't a regular on this site and other parts of our little hobby.

Anyway, I'll shoot ya as straight as I can... let me know if I can help you in any further capacity!

~Ston3y~

CloudStrife645

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 CloudStrife645
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts
Pokemon, and nintendogs
halofanatic12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 halofanatic12
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts
yoshis island ds or new super mario bros
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ston3henge

buy him a ps3 grand theft adio for ps3Pinefoll

You are a uterine scraping. Go away now, and let the big people talk...

Pinefoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Pinefoll
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts

well at least i dont like kung fu panda asmuch as u do

but im still voteing for GTA

Pinefoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pinefoll

it will increese his driving and gun skilz when he's older

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
Pokemon, and nintendogsCloudStrife645
Both games should be good for your child, especially if he is wanting to get a dog and you are reluctant :P Although a 5 year old doesnt really have enough concentration to spend too much time focusing on a handheld game, when he could be running around being silly.
rasb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rasb23
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Pokemon, and nintendogs I think would be a good choice for him being so young but not for you. The spiderman one seems like it maybe a little difficult for him. You should follow the ESRB, like stone3henge said it's just like movie ratings but parents don't follow them(I seen 6 year olds playing/watching driver 3 and it's scarey what it does to them).

My choice for you would be-

The New super mario bros.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/supermariobrosds/index.html?tag=result;title;1

The first mario bros in a long time that is much like the original ones. Has great mini games that I play more then the actually games. My girlfriend loves the wack a mole.

Mario 64 DS

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dssupermario4x4/index.html?tag=result;title;0

You have alot of freedom and isn't too hard, it's in 3d, plus there is the run around and hit stuff part too.

I think these would be your best choices cause there rated E, you'll enjoy them, there easy enough for him and challanging enough for you, there very fun, have great replayablilty and everyone loves Mario.

Jinki3s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jinki3s
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts

I would suggest any mario game. (such as New Super Mario Bros.) They're really easy to pick up and learn. My 4 year old cousin is pretty decent at New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart. On top of that, you'll probably enjoy them a lot more than you would a spiderman or hulk game. Those tend to finish too quickly and get old.

Plus, your son will get to smash goombas by jumping on them ;p

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts
Animal Crossing is fun for everyone. It's rather addictive (not a shooter though).
typeRseries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 typeRseries
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
Mario Party DS is one of the best choices. Very fun when playing with others. A competitive game that lets you shoot, race, and more with your 5 year old.
PukingPug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 PukingPug
Member since 2008 • 1685 Posts
DO NOT BUY HIM A SHOOTING GAME!!!! (they are fustrating) I recomend drawn to life, fun and you do shoot snowballs and acorns.
Pokemon_Spy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pokemon_Spy
Animal crossing:Wild world is a great game for little kids as long as they don't turn the ds off without saving.The first time you do it he will be nice the 2nd time he gets a bit madder and so on.But still I reccomend this game
Pokemon_Spy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pokemon_Spy
The guys name is Mr.Resseti (Get it?Resseti Reset?)Also you're neighbors are intelligent animals.on july fourth and other holidays there will be fireworks on the top screen.Your mom will send you a birthday cake on his/her birthday.Dad will send a letter pretty much rarely but always on fathers day.many other things to do too.Lots of things to do.Rated E.
ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts

Animal crossing:Wild world is a great game for little kids as long as they don't turn the ds off without saving.The first time you do it he will be nice the 2nd time he gets a bit madder and so on.But still I reccomend this gamePokemon_Spy

100% agreed. Never got into it myself though. The Pokemon Diamond and Pearl games are very good, I was playing the GameBoy ones when I was a little older than 5, so theyre pretty straightforward.

Pinefoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pinefoll

:Pthe best game for a five year old would be... LAUNDRY SOAP FUN FOR ALL AGES GAIN IS THE BEST LIQUID OR FLAKES ARE BOTH GREAT:P

WRIGHT IT DOWN!!!!!!!

Pinefoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pinefoll

Yes, YouTube.com is a great place to see a variety of games in action... that combined with various feedback in these forums (you can search the forums for threads about a game even if it's long-dormant) which will give you some further insight.

""Metroid Prime: Hunters" is a game that requires a pant-load of dexterity with the stylus, and being an owner of the title I wouldn't recommend that one either, just by the way...

Before you make a purchase, put up a post here about he given title you're looking at... as long as you're patient for a few hours, you can usually net a half-dozen opinions on the game in question, and/ or if you look it up on this site, often-times there will be a variety of user-written reviews in addition to to pro review.

another thing you might consider is a service rather like NetFlix called GameFly.com... they rent titles for all sorts of systems and it's open-ended like the NetFlix system... when you're done with a title or sick of it, you send it back in the mailer and they send the next one in your cue.

Just an idea as apposed to purchase... I'm right there with ya on the warriness of buying games, especially if you aren't a regular on this site and other parts of our little hobby.

Anyway, I'll shoot ya as straight as I can... let me know if I can help you in any further capacity!

~Ston3y~

ston3henge

you have to translate this to read it is in germen

Ha ha. dachtest DU, Dass du Goona erhältst irgendein enormes ungewöhnliches heraus warst, Aber Jetzt du Auf mich hören musst Ramble über DAS Thema von, wie Gras unter steuerpflichtigem ist. Du Siehst Gras, eine sehr wichtige Rolle im unserem Alltagsleben zu haben. weil sie also reichlich ist, stellt sie beide Sauerstoff und ihn alows dort in Serienfertigung sie, um zu sein zu ersparen einige. WIEVIELE KÖNNEN ANDERE ANLAGEN DU AN DAS DENKEN SIND WIE STERBEN??? JEDES IST IMMER WIE OHHHHH ROSEN SIND, AUCH RECHT, DARM-BOTTICH SIE ALLES FÜR DICH? NR.!!!!! (schreiende Anfänge) UND DU BASTARD AUF DM LEGEN AUF DAS GRAS HALTEN UND LETING DEINE HUNDEscheiße AUF IHR!!! THOUGHTFULL SEIN!!! DAS GRAS ALLEIN LASSEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
Does your kid know how to read yet?
I'd suggest Animal Crossing honestly. It's the safest bet. That or New Super Mario Bros.
BelmontV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 BelmontV
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

Well it depends, if your child enjoys simple gaming I REALLY suggest "New Super Mario Bros.", its simple to play and understand, yet its really hard to get bored from playing it. If your child would like something else I would reccomend (considering he knows how to read):

1. Mario Party DS

2. Pokemon (either Pearl or Diamond)

3. Mario Kart DS

4. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales

5. Nintendogs

DsAccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 DsAccount