Which DS RPG should I play on my road trip?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xSmiLeZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xSmiLeZx
Member since 2008 • 325 Posts

Looking to start a new RPG and since I'll be a passenger in the car all the way to our destination I figured why not play a DS RPG?!?!?

For the DS RPGs that I have played:
Chrono Trigger
FF III & IV
All Kingdom Hearts games
Most Pokemon games
Dragon Quest IX

As for the games to pick from I was thinking one of these 3:
1. Radiant Historia
2. One of the Dragon Warriors (IV, V, or VI)
3. FF: 4 Heroes of Light

Definitley not limited to one of those, but those are the ones I currently have (backlogs lol). Anyways, just wanted to get some opinions on what I should start playing.

Thanks!:)

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

For a road trip, I would suggest Dragon Quest IV. It's heavily broken up, and the story isn't too involved. Unless you're the type that can enjoy a good story in a car, then I would suggest Dragon Quest V.

demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Have you considered Golden Sun or Okamiden?

Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Pokemon :)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Radiant Historia
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Radiant Historia is a fantastic JRPG, really feeling old school without the old annoyances. If you want an amazing story and more innovative battle system (as well as great graphics and music) it's the way to. If you're more interested in the Dragon Quest games I would rec number 6 for a road trip. (I've played V and VI.) It is more condusive to like grinding and stuff because of how the job system is set up. Can't speak for 4 Heroes of Light.

Really, though, I have a feeling you can't go wrong with any of those options.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Okamiden is a great choice, even if it is an adventure game, not a RPG.
xSmiLeZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xSmiLeZx
Member since 2008 • 325 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I don't think I would mind playing a game with a complex story on a roadtrip, but DQ IV does seem like a solid choice (plus it helps my OCDness of wanting to play games in numerical order, lulz). Radiant Historia is catching my eye right now though!

demon-zer0

I forgot about those two actually. I was a fan of the Golden Suns on the GBA and I actually played through about maybe half of Dark Dawn, but then I got sidetricked with some other things. I also was a huge fan of Okami, so maybe that may be a good option for me as well!

Meeeper282

Haha, I don't know if I could handle another Pokemon game. =.= I have played so many I think I'm about burned out.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
DQ V is a pretty good DQ game. I'm playing it at the moment; I'm finding it more fun to wander around and level up my party. The story is pretty good too for such an old RPG.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

Of the three you're looking at I would recommend Radiant Historia. It's just a really good all-around RPG. You've played some good rpgs already and I think you would enjoy this as well.

Otherwise, for something a bit different maybe try Mario and Luigi:Bowser's Inside Story. It has a good battle system and a great sense of humor, one of the funniest games I've played on the system. If you like Mario, you can't go wrong with this one.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 turtlethetaffer

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I don't think I would mind playing a game with a complex story on a roadtrip, but DQ IV does seem like a solid choice (plus it helps my OCDness of wanting to play games in numerical order, lulz). Radiant Historia is catching my eye right now though!

[QUOTE="demon-zer0"]

xSmiLeZx

I forgot about those two actually. I was a fan of the Golden Suns on the GBA and I actually played through about maybe half of Dark Dawn, but then I got sidetricked with some other things. I also was a huge fan of Okami, so maybe that may be a good option for me as well!

Meeeper282

Haha, I don't know if I could handle another Pokemon game. =.= I have played so many I think I'm about burned out.

Radiant Historia is a great choice. I got 50 hours of gameplay out of it. (All sidequests done). However, if you can't concentrate on the story in a car then maybe not, because it's very story heavy and oyu need to pay attention, especially near the beggining. However if you can concentrate, then I would say go for it first, as it's a standalone and it's one of the most underrated games from last year.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#12 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I would recommend Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (DS) or Superstar Saga (GBA)

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
FFIV if you've never played it. If you have, Radiant Historia. For a game off your list: Bowser's Inside Story.
gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#14 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

Suikuden Tierkries !!!

Something to stare out the window over.

...or to go off your list, FF: 4 Heroes.

I'm on my second playthrough right now, and it really has some strong gameplay elements.

Along with a fresh-paced first half that comes together well, for the second half, which has a different spin to the map, and harder enemies. A lot of the challenge comes from thinking about what gear you have, not so much how strong you are...later on it becomes a slash-fest, but just in time for the final stage pretty much.

Radiant Historia is something I've had a love/meh experiance with...there's a lot of unique things about it--worth playing, and yet sometimes the quests require some frustation with where/when to go on a grand scale. The battles can be long too, fine for bosses, yet leveing up is a chore. Still a solid, down to earth rpg. awesome music and graphics to get along with. I'll beat it someday.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 turtlethetaffer

Suikuden Tierkries !!!

Something to stare out the window over.

...or to go off your list, FF: 4 Heroes.

I'm on my second playthrough right now, and it really has some strong gameplay elements.

Along with a fresh-paced first half that comes together well, for the second half, which has a different spin to the map, and harder enemies. A lot of the challenge comes from thinking about what gear you have, not so much how strong you are...later on it becomes a slash-fest, but just in time for the final stage pretty much.

Radiant Historia is something I've had a love/meh experiance with...there's a lot of unique things about it--worth playing, and yet sometimes the quests require some frustation with where/when to go on a grand scale. The battles can be long too, fine for bosses, yet leveing up is a chore. Still a solid, down to earth rpg. awesome music and graphics to get along with. I'll beat it someday.

gargungulunk

As long as you aren't avoiding every single enemy, there should hardly be a need to grind in RH. I beat it just fine on my first playthrough. Also, if you plan the battle tactics right, most common battles take about a minute tops.

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

dont play Four Heroes of Light if you don't have an acceptance or patience for old school inspired RPG frustration. It's solid enough of a game I guess, but about a quarter of the way through I realized I wasn't developing my party like the game intended and the difficult spike became nonsense.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

That's pretty easy: the world ends with you

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts