What's up with Zelda in The Legend of Zelda

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dethroned3
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts

The Legend of Zelda.

You'd think the guy in green is suppose to be the legend. I think they got the game title mixed up somehow.

Either Link should've been named Zelda or the title should be The Legend of Link.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

'Metroid' is not titled after 'Samus'

'Halo' is not titled after 'Master Chief'

'Kid Icarus' isn't titled 'Pit'

Titles don't have to be named after the main character.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I guess the legened itself is about Zelda. Link is just some guy in it.

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dethroned3

Tri-Enforcer

The problem is'The Legend of Zelda' is named after a character who isn't really a legend at all. the legend is Link.

dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dethroned3

Here's a list of other 'Legend' games and its relevance to the hero/heroine/whatever:

Legend of Spyro

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow

Legend of Kay

Legend of Kain

Legend of Dragoon

and heaps more here

I think i've made my point :)

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I think the Legend of Zelda is actually a reference to how she knows about the Triforce which plays a key role in many Zelda games. Therefore the title isn't calling Zelda a Legend, the title is referring to a very important story or "legend" she knows about.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Consider this: within the Zelda universe, even though the protagonist is known as Link, officially, you can enter whatever name you want for the guy in green. When certain past games are talked about, this character is referred to as The Hero of Time, The Hero of Winds, a hero who wielded the Four Sword, etc. The name Zelda is always remembered, as every firstborn princess of the realm is named Zelda, but the hero's name is never remembered. So, you could argue that the full title would be "The Legend of Zelda and the Hero who Saved Her," but obviously that sounds silly. Of course, there is only one game where Zelda doesn't show up- Link's Awakening, but even in that she's referenced.
omza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 omza
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Every single Princess in Hyrule is named Zelda, so the story of Linkis passed down from Zelda to Zelda, thus making it the Legend of Zelda, i.e. Zelda's Legend (of Link).
Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

dethroned3

The problem is'The Legend of Zelda' is named after a character who isn't really a legend at all. the legend is Link.

just asking, but how many zelda games have you actually completed...

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

It is probably named Legend of Zelda because Link can be named anything. Also it is kind've a Legend of Zelda because it is Link's job to rescue Zelda in a lot of the games and it is the Legend of Zelda because it is the story of Link's journey to rescue Zelda and save Hyrule.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

the game revolves around the princess zelda, but you play as the hero link.

many games titles are like this btw

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

In the Zelda universe/timeline/whatever you want to call it, all the princesses of Hyrule are mandatorily named Princess Zelda because of the importance of the first Princess Zelda and her heroic feats. I'm not sure which Princess Zelda was the first one (likely, the one in Skyward Sword will be the first one). When you play a Zelda game, you are not playing during the same period of time with the same characters. Instead, you are playing a game whose characters are named after the ones from previous Zelda games because of the important roles they played in previous games.

I'm not sure I explained myself well enough, but you should get the idea. Direct Zelda sequels with the same characters are rare because most Zelda games are hundreds and hundreds of years apart of each other. Ocarina Of Time's Princess Zelda is not the same Princess Zelda you see when you play, say, Wind Waker. Instead, the Princess Zelda in Wind Waker, according to what Nintendo has said about the games' timeline, is named after the Ocarina of Time's (or Skyward Sword's, we'll see...) Princess Zelda because, after that hypothetical first Zelda and what she did, Kings installed the tradition of naming their daughters "Zelda".

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
Consider this: within the Zelda universe, even though the protagonist is known as Link, officially, you can enter whatever name you want for the guy in green. When certain past games are talked about, this character is referred to as The Hero of Time, The Hero of Winds, a hero who wielded the Four Sword, etc. The name Zelda is always remembered, as every firstborn princess of the realm is named Zelda, but the hero's name is never remembered. So, you could argue that the full title would be "The Legend of Zelda and the Hero who Saved Her," but obviously that sounds silly. Of course, there is only one game where Zelda doesn't show up- Link's Awakening, but even in that she's referenced.MAILER_DAEMON
actually there's majora's mask too. but either way, he's correct. zelda is the iconic character with a name. link can be named anything. it's like calling pokemon ruby "pokemon trainer brandon/may". it's silly.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Consider this: within the Zelda universe, even though the protagonist is known as Link, officially, you can enter whatever name you want for the guy in green. When certain past games are talked about, this character is referred to as The Hero of Time, The Hero of Winds, a hero who wielded the Four Sword, etc. The name Zelda is always remembered, as every firstborn princess of the realm is named Zelda, but the hero's name is never remembered. So, you could argue that the full title would be "The Legend of Zelda and the Hero who Saved Her," but obviously that sounds silly. Of course, there is only one game where Zelda doesn't show up- Link's Awakening, but even in that she's referenced.MAILER_DAEMON
This. Zelda is the part that is Legend and keeps coming back over and over and over. Of course so is the hero... but he can be named anything. I'm just glad they didn't go with "Legend of the guy in green skirty thing"
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
lol is this suppose to be some kind of troll attempt, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
lol is this suppose to be some kind of troll attempt, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Sepewrath
No, I think the point is Legend of Zelda makes more sense in the context of the legend that replays throughout history. It could have been about the hero, instead it is about the princess. I guess "Legend of the Hero of Time" could have been used, but I'm not even sure they had thought of that plot when the first NES game showed up.
dethroned3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dethroned3

lol is this suppose to be some kind of troll attempt, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Sepewrath

troll? no.

anyway thanks everybody for the answer. i've only completed one zelda game and that's wind waker.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Consider this: within the Zelda universe, even though the protagonist is known as Link, officially, you can enter whatever name you want for the guy in green. When certain past games are talked about, this character is referred to as The Hero of Time, The Hero of Winds, a hero who wielded the Four Sword, etc. The name Zelda is always remembered, as every firstborn princess of the realm is named Zelda, but the hero's name is never remembered. So, you could argue that the full title would be "The Legend of Zelda and the Hero who Saved Her," but obviously that sounds silly. Of course, there is only one game where Zelda doesn't show up- Link's Awakening, but even in that she's referenced.BrunoBRS
actually there's majora's mask too. but either way, he's correct. zelda is the iconic character with a name. link can be named anything. it's like calling pokemon ruby "pokemon trainer brandon/may". it's silly.

Zelda shows up in Link's flashback in Majora's Mask after you recover the Ocarina of Time, and it was a new scene, not just something happened in OoT.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]lol is this suppose to be some kind of troll attempt, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense. dethroned3

troll? no.

anyway thanks everybody for the answer. i've only completed one zelda game and that's wind waker.

OK, well the name doesn't matter, 98% of games titles have nothing to do with the main character; no one in Final Fantasy named Final Fantasy, game is called Madden, even though he doesn't play, I don't think he is announcer in the game anymore; no one in Bioshock is name Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, The Conduit, Gears of War; the last Prince of Persia game, the main character wasn't even a prince. The title of a game is suppose to reflect a theme within the game, not be a description of who you play as. Though it was funny back in the day when people called Samus, Metroid.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

face it Princess Zelda is just an attention whore :P

Kinda agree with TC ..first time I played Zelda, I thought ..hmm..my character is named Link ..not Zelda. After a while just couldn't be bother abt it.

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts

Here's a list of other 'Legend' games and its relevance to the hero/heroine/whatever:

Legend of Spyro

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow

Legend of Kay

Legend of Kain

Legend of Dragoon

and heaps more here

I think i've made my point :)

dethroned3

It's a good thing The Legend of Zelda isn't any of those games, then.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Consider this: within the Zelda universe, even though the protagonist is known as Link, officially, you can enter whatever name you want for the guy in green. When certain past games are talked about, this character is referred to as The Hero of Time, The Hero of Winds, a hero who wielded the Four Sword, etc. The name Zelda is always remembered, as every firstborn princess of the realm is named Zelda, but the hero's name is never remembered. So, you could argue that the full title would be "The Legend of Zelda and the Hero who Saved Her," but obviously that sounds silly. Of course, there is only one game where Zelda doesn't show up- Link's Awakening, but even in that she's referenced.MAILER_DAEMON

Zelda shows up in Link's flashback in Majora's Mask after you recover the Ocarina of Time, and it was a new scene, not just something happened in OoT.

don't remember this scene :|
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] actually there's majora's mask too. but either way, he's correct. zelda is the iconic character with a name. link can be named anything. it's like calling pokemon ruby "pokemon trainer brandon/may". it's silly.BrunoBRS

at the 3 minute mark

There a link to the video just skip to the 3 minute mark.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Zelda shows up in Link's flashback in Majora's Mask after you recover the Ocarina of Time, and it was a new scene, not just something happened in OoT.

Nintendo_Ownes7

at the 3 minute mark

There a link to the video just skip to the 3 minute mark.

oh yeah, i remember that. obligatory mention FTW? :P