What is the Wii U going to do about sports games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

I know many people don't care about playing the latest yearly update of whatever sports game they like but what does Nintendo plan to do about this. Millions of people love and buy sports games. Could they possibly open up a new studio?

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
I'm sure the main EA sports titles will be on WiiU like Madden and Fifa. NBA2K will be there too. I bet we see MLB2K eventually as well. My dream is that the MLB Power Pros series makes an updated appearance on the WiiU like it surprised me on the Wii. Or maybe even an MLB version of the Japanese baseball game Pro Yakyuu Spirits! I love baseball sims.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I am really dissappointed that Tigerwoods wont be on Wii U this year. I wanted to wean myself off of my PS3 as i head into the next generation, but it looks like i have to keep supporting the system for a lot longer than i intended. I was hoping to go FULL WiiU this year, but that is just not going to happen. Nintendo needs to much more aggressive at getting the third party support.

Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
I'm sure the Wii U will get some sports games. The question is will they sell well enough for the publishers?
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="roboccs"] My dream is that the MLB Power Pros series makes an updated appearance on the WiiU like it surprised me on the Wii.

Those games were so awesome. I wish they'd bring them back.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'm sure the main EA sports titles will be on WiiU like Madden and Fifa. NBA2K will be there too. I bet we see MLB2K eventually as well. My dream is that the MLB Power Pros series makes an updated appearance on the WiiU like it surprised me on the Wii. Or maybe even an MLB version of the Japanese baseball game Pro Yakyuu Spirits! I love baseball sims.roboccs
No they won't.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
My guess and I believe their best bet is to enlist ESPN/2K games to makes sports games on the WiiU since EA basically said they won't be doing them on wiiu much anymore.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

sports games sell bad on nintendo compared to xbox and play station....most sports freaks are "adult" "mature" gamers that talk smack wwith their  headsets on everyday...

thats just notg nintendos audience...

but dont worry... if wiiU beats out the other consoles this christmas and has a very nice userbase..... then ea and 2k will be forced to put them on there.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Sports games will avoid the Wii U

Nintendo users just don't want sports on their console, by large Nintendo owners don't like competition and don't really have the "fortitude" to handle sports. So to take sports into games for them doesn't work.

Nintendo and third parties understand this and have their games geared more towards the "no one keeps score everyone wins!"

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Nothing. What the Wii U doesn't get in regards to the major sports franchises from others, it just won't have. It'll be no different than the NCAA games avoiding the past couple Nintendo consoles or the 2K Sports franchise not showing up for the GameCube for most of its life. Nintendo COULD invest into its own brand of sports titles with the many leagues/organizations the Wii U may lack, but it would just be a complete waste of money and time to do so. The expense of the development of those games to getting the licenses and advertising of those games probably wouldn't come close to being made up on the marketplace, where the games will more than likely bomb. The sports sim hasn't been all too relevant on a Nintendo system since probably Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES, and unless a Nintendo-exclusive title can somehow revolutionize the genre, it won't be relevant enough for Nintendo ever again.

If the likes of EA and 2K don't see fit to support the Wii U with their sports franchises, the system will just have to do without them. Honestly, I'm shocked that third party publishers haven't already strongly considered not using Nintendo platforms to sell sports games on, given the lackluster history of the sales of most sports sims on Nintendo systems. At this point, it probably has to do more than relations to Nintendo more than anything else, but since the Wii U probably isn't going to change things, other than making developing games for the platform more expensive, it's certainly not going to get any better in the coming years.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

old news and just because one game isnt coming or 2  , does not mean it isnt getting any ,  

-gamecube missed on nascar 2002 got 2003 missed 2004 got 2005  , im sure you get the point, 

and wiiu has sports games-nba 2k13 madden 13 fifa 13 espn sports connection  ---lol enough with the sports games! 

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Nintendo users just don't want sports on their console, by large Nintendo owners don't like competition and don't really have the "fortitude" to handle sports. So to take sports into games for them doesn't work.

Nintendo and third parties understand this and have their games geared more towards the "no one keeps score everyone wins!"

Jaysonguy
What? Sports games are perfect for Nintendo's casual audience.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

A good time for a third party publish to fill the spot that EA doesn't want to. Sports gaming is a niche genre that a new third party studio could fill.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse

Jaysonguy
It's painful how stupid your posts are.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Toxic-Seahorse

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that Nintendo players aren't competitive enough or lack the "fortitude" to handle sports games, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that the majority of Nintendo system owners don't view sports sims with nearly the same level of interest as owners of other consoles. Not an insult, as I see myself as one of those people, even as I own and use a PS3 these days. Nevertheless, unless it's a sports game of an arcade-like nature (Mario Golf/Tennis/Baseball, Wii Sports, etc.), you really don't see buzz towards any sports game on any Nintendo system.

Also, the major sports games from the major third party publishers have only become more 'demanding' over the years, and as we saw with the Wii, 'simplicity' just appears to be more attractive to most Nintendo players. That's why EA tried the whole "All-Play" approach with its sports titles for a stretch of the Wii's life. Granted, it didn't prove to be the be-all solution to EA's problem with not reaching Nintendo's user base, but I think it did indicate that EA was aware of what it had to do to succeed. However, I doubt that's something EA or any third party publisher will want to do this time around with the Wii U, especially given where it stands right now commercially on both hardware and software. To kinda agree with Jaysonguy's point, I do think that Nintendo and third parties know that they will be in a pickle when it comes to certain genres and the Wii U, including sports sims.

Already, it has gotten to the point where regardless of if EA's actually developing sports titles for the Wii U or not, the company isn't exactly expressing strong support for its games on the system. The fact that Madden '14/25 hasn't even been announced for the system is as strong of an example you have concerning the Wii U being a legitimate console for developers of sports games. Even if EA sees the PS3/Xbox 360 as lead platforms for the game, it's still a pretty alarming sign about where the console stands, seeing as how it should probably still be in "honeymoon mode" with publishers, where everyone wants to make a splash on the system first. I'm not pulling the plug on sports games on the Wii U already, but if in fact that Madden does get dropped, you can only expect the other franchises to follow, like dominoes falling in place.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Madmangamer364

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that Nintendo players aren't competitive enough or lack the "fortitude" to handle sports games, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that the majority of Nintendo system owners don't view sports sims with nearly the same level of interest as owners of other consoles. Not an insult, as I see myself as one of those people, even as I own and use a PS3 these days. Nevertheless, unless it's a sports game of an arcade-like nature (Mario Golf/Tennis/Baseball, Wii Sports, etc.), you really don't see buzz towards any sports game on any Nintendo system.

Also, the major sports games from the major third party publishers have only become more 'demanding' over the years, and as we saw with the Wii, 'simplicity' just appears to be more attractive to most Nintendo players. That's why EA tried the whole "All-Play" approach with its sports titles for a stretch of the Wii's life. Granted, it didn't prove to be the be-all solution to EA's problem with not reaching Nintendo's user base, but I think it did indicate that EA was aware of what it had to do to succeed. However, I doubt that's something EA or any third party publisher will want to do this time around with the Wii U, especially given where it stands right now commercially on both hardware and software. To kinda agree with Jaysonguy's point, I do think that Nintendo and third parties know that they will be in a pickle when it comes to certain genres and the Wii U, including sports sims.

Already, it has gotten to the point where regardless of if EA's actually developing sports titles for the Wii U or not, the company isn't exactly expressing strong support for its games on the system. The fact that Madden '14/25 hasn't even been announced for the system is as strong of an example you have concerning the Wii U being a legitimate console for developers of sports games. Even if EA sees the PS3/Xbox 360 as lead platforms for the game, it's still a pretty alarming sign about where the console stands, seeing as how it should probably still be in "honeymoon mode" with publishers, where everyone wants to make a splash on the system first. I'm not pulling the plug on sports games on the Wii U already, but if in fact that Madden does get dropped, you can only expect the other franchises to follow, like dominoes falling in place.

I completely agree that sports games are not going to be the Wii U's strong point and I'll even go as far as saying I agree that the audience isn't really the sports game type. But to say it's because everyone who has a Wii U isn't competitive and doesn't have the fortitude to handle sports is just stupid and a typical jayson post. He's been on a Wii U hate crusade for a while now but his posts are mild enough where the mods seem to not give a sh*t. He's the most successful troll I've seen on GS. 

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Madmangamer364

I completely agree that sports games are not going to be the Wii U's strong point and I'll even go as far as saying I agree that the audience isn't really the sports game type. But to say it's because everyone who has a Wii U isn't competitive and doesn't have the fortitude to handle sports is just stupid and a typical jayson post. He's been on a Wii U hate crusade for a while now but his posts are mild enough where the mods seem to not give a sh*t. He's the most successful troll I've seen on GS. 

Toxic-Seahorse

Eh, I won't touch that subject too deeply. Frankly, it's something that's out of my control and doesn't sway my emotions in any direction. While I'm not afraid to say that I found the whole "fortitude" part of Jaysonguy's comment crude, I also found some merit to the actual point.

That's all I'll say. I don't think it's productive or intelligent for me to add anything else to this comment. :lol:

Garydbz25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Garydbz25
Member since 2013 • 157 Posts
I'm pretty sure EA will release games on the Wii U every year but if they want us to buy them they have to be exactly the same versions and have slightly better graphics then the 360/ps3 versions for example The ultimate team feature and game engine from Fifa 13 on the 360/ps3 was not on the Wii U version which was very disappointing but Lets hope Fifa 14 will have everything we expect from EA. At least this gen with the Wii U we won't have crappy cartoon graphics like the Wii games had I can't believe EA did that to us and grand slam tennis was the same.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KBFloYd

Toxic-Seahorse

lol remember the system wars thread he made aabout wii U is in trouble...low sales and needs a price cut?

i reported him but instead i got moderated for disruptive posting...

lol..what's the moderators name here? haziqiun  or something.. i am dissapoint 

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Madmangamer364

lol remember the system wars thread he made aabout wii U is in trouble...low sales and needs a price cut?

KBFloYd

^To be honest, a post like that one is borderline disruptive itself, since it doesn't exactly relate to the topic at all. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up...

I'm pretty sure EA will release games on the Wii U every year but if they want us to buy them they have to be exactly the same versions and have slightly better graphics then the 360/ps3 versions for example The ultimate team feature and game engine from Fifa 13 on the 360/ps3 was not on the Wii U version which was very disappointing but Lets hope Fifa 14 will have everything we expect from EA. At least this gen with the Wii U we won't have crappy cartoon graphics like the Wii games had I can't believe EA did that to us and grand slam tennis was the same.

Garydbz25

The reason EA did that, though, was because their sports games on the Wii weren't selling, so the whole "same game" routine wasn't working. Sure, the Wii versions weren't going to match the visual fidelity of the PS3/Xbox 360 versions the same games, but I think EA realized that even with such a gap in the visuals department, their Wii games grossly underachieved with the large user base the system had. When it comes to graphics, it may not be long before the Wii U finds itself in a similar situation with sports games, but if the numbers don't improve, EA certainly won't resort to *ahem* "stylized" visuals because the system itself likely won't have the same mass market appeal throughout its life that the Wii had.

That may sound like good news at the moment, but if EA's sports titles continue to flop on the Wii U like they did with the Wii and GCN, I think the publisher's measures will be even more drastic than "cartoon graphics" this time around. Already, EA has tried using Nintendo characters (GCN) and changing the look and nature of its games (Wii) to appeal to Nintendo owners, with little-to-no success. At some point, the publisher is going to come to a pretty telling realization of their chances on Nintendo consoles and act accordingly, if it's not already happening as we speak.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts
With EA being totally butt hurt with Nintendo, I wouldnt hold your breath. EA is mad that Nintendo didnt let them take the Nintendo Network and let their Origin absorb it lol.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Jaysonguy
Your saying Nintendo fans dont like competition? Umm theres Mario Kart tournaments and Smash Bros tournaments.
Hoennhyruleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Hoennhyruleguy
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts

EA's Wii sports games (aside from Tiger Woods) flopped because they were terrible. That whole "stylized" idea was embarassing. If people recall, Madden 07 and 08, were on pretty equal standing with the HD versions ratings wise. The motion controls were good, online play was present. The 2009 came. The "All-Play" idea came. Features were removed. NBA Live 09 All-Play is the worst NBA game I have ever played, they managed to make the game worse than Live 08. As for Madden, less and less effort was given as each yearly installment came.

Then the Wii U comes out and EA has a powerful, HD system from Nintendo to work with, and they abandon them. Disgraceful.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Madmangamer364

^To be honest, a post like that one is borderline disruptive itself, since it doesn't exactly relate to the topic at all. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up...

so what are you saying? you're the one who's been reporting me? lol

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

As long as we get a new Mario Golf for Wii U, I would be happy.:D I've still play Mario Golf for the VC all the time. I know of the 3DS version, but I'd rather have the console experience of playing in the living room with family and friends.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

^To be honest, a post like that one is borderline disruptive itself, since it doesn't exactly relate to the topic at all. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up...KBFloYd

so what are you saying? you're the one who's been reporting me? lol

Nope. I don't think I've ever reported a thing on this site in my life. The only things I'd report anywhere would be stuff that's blatantly explicit and/or offensive, so you don't have to worry about that, unless you cross those lines. My point is that you were on your way to doing the exact same thing that got you moderated in the first place, and I was just bringing that to your attention out of consideration. This thread has nothing to do with that Wii U sales/price cut thread that you speak of, so why even bring it up? I was trying to do you a favor. :P

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I think it will have almost full support
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Master_Of_Fools

Your saying Nintendo fans dont like competition? Umm theres Mario Kart tournaments and Smash Bros tournaments.

Well it's not exactly "my" saying but I know what you're trying to say.

The two games there really go to explain how Nintnedo fans aren't exactly well versed when it comes to sports.

Mario Kart and Smash Bros with all their power ups and short cuts work well with their audience that it's not about being best or having a ton of skill, it's just about having fun, using power ups, and getting in some good shots while you're at it.

When it comes to real sports games they don't sit well with Nintendo's audience. That's why we see a real franchise like Madden go into more of a "everyone just have fun, a score is just a number!" friendly version on Nintendo's hardware.