What do you think of the overall quality of 3DS games (So far)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4261 Posts

I love Nintendo to death but I personally think they have a few good games and a lot of junk.

But I am very hopefull in the future they will release some top quality games.

What say you?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so..you want like console games on 3ds?

thats what the vita was supposed to do but they failed.

aside from RE revelations.its slim pickins in that regard.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
There's a lot of good-to-great games in all sorts of various genres, as far as objective taste goes. As for me? The past library has nothing too much for me (RE:R is on consoles, never been into SMT or MK on handhelds, EOIV's demo was meh, SM3DL wasn't that fun and neither was OoT) except for FE:A, which was balls-out fantastic. The future has Pokemon and Mario and Luigi, two series I love. But as for the overall system itself, it has FE:A that interests me, and then nothing too much right now.
topher78714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 topher78714
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts
I think that this is a very complex question when you break it down. As a new 3DS owner I dug carefully into if it was worth dropping the cash into what could in reality be a one or two good game system currently. After doing some research I determined that wasn't the case and broke down in bought one, and so far I'm not regretting it. I purcahsed FE:A, Scribblenaughts Unlimited, Professor Layton, and Tales of the Abyss. The key that people have to remember is that this isn't a home theater system like an Xbox or PS3. Handhelds generally succeed as a system with games that are easy to pick up, play for an hour or so while on the move, stop, and jump right back into. As a rule of thumb, although there are exceptions, you generally aren't sitting down investing 6-8 hours at a time into a game. So if you keep an open mind and understand how the system was meant to be experienced and view games from that vantage point, the games are good as a whole. You can get quick games like Mario where you can just do a level, stop and be okay with it. Similarily, games like FE:A prove that games can have great stories and greatgameplay, while still adopting to a "quick save and go" type structure (booksmarks in that game). Even games like Zero Escape (altough arguably that is more of a interactive story with a few puzzles) can go overlooked because they aren't like COD or Gears which sadly this generation has come to see as all that matters. So approach the library like that and be willing to step a little outsid eof your typical game comfort zone and I guarantee you'll start to be a more impressed with what the current library has to offer, as well as what's coming up in the future.
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 outworld222
I think that this is a very complex question when you break it down. As a new 3DS owner I dug carefully into if it was worth dropping the cash into what could in reality be a one or two good game system currently. After doing some research I determined that wasn't the case and broke down in bought one, and so far I'm not regretting it. I purcahsed FE:A, Scribblenaughts Unlimited, Professor Layton, and Tales of the Abyss. The key that people have to remember is that this isn't a home theater system like an Xbox or PS3. Handhelds generally succeed as a system with games that are easy to pick up, play for an hour or so while on the move, stop, and jump right back into. As a rule of thumb, although there are exceptions, you generally aren't sitting down investing 6-8 hours at a time into a game. So if you keep an open mind and understand how the system was meant to be experienced and view games from that vantage point, the games are good as a whole. You can get quick games like Mario where you can just do a level, stop and be okay with it. Similarily, games like FE:A prove that games can have great stories and greatgameplay, while still adopting to a "quick save and go" type structure (booksmarks in that game). Even games like Zero Escape (altough arguably that is more of a interactive story with a few puzzles) can go overlooked because they aren't like COD or Gears which sadly this generation has come to see as all that matters. So approach the library like that and be willing to step a little outsid eof your typical game comfort zone and I guarantee you'll start to be a more impressed with what the current library has to offer, as well as what's coming up in the future. topher78714
Ah I see. I was just hoping Goldeneye 007 would make the handheld one day. But....I want the console to succeed. I don't want it to become like the Wii U. [QUOTE="Blabadon"]There's a lot of good-to-great games in all sorts of various genres, as far as objective taste goes. As for me? The past library has nothing too much for me (RE:R is on consoles, never been into SMT or MK on handhelds, EOIV's demo was meh, SM3DL wasn't that fun and neither was OoT) except for FE:A, which was balls-out fantastic. The future has Pokemon and Mario and Luigi, two series I love. But as for the overall system itself, it has FE:A that interests me, and then nothing too much right now.

I'm with you on this.

KBFloYd
Not what I'm saying. See OOT got translated from console to a port on the 3DS. I guess the N64 games can be ported to the 3DS... But....I see the point you're making. It's spot on.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Specifically, which titles are you talking about?
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 outworld222
Specifically, which titles are you talking about?Minishdriveby
I'de love Goldeneye 007 and an Mortal Kombat game to be on the 3DS. Sadly I don't think that will ever happen.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Lots of games. Haven't even taken paper mario out of the plastic. Don't even have time to play my games.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Of course there are some good games.... and loads of utter crap. In all honesty, i cant understand why this system gets so much praise for games. There has been tons of promising games, only to be disappointed with the final results.

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

KBFloYd
Shin Megami Tensei IV soon. I'm very happy with the quality of the 3DS games. Only console I own is the 3DS everything else is PC. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Kart have so much playtime I can believe how great the games are. What's not to like?
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I'm very satisfied with the quality. Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire EmblemL Awakening, Mario 3D Land, RE: Revelations, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Etrian Oddysey, Zero Escape: VLR, SMT: Soul Hackers. With games coming like: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Project x Zone, Bravely Default, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, and Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate I'm more than happy.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I've been quite pleased with the system. Just bought Ridge Racer 3D and NFS: The Run is on it's way, got them cheap from an online auction site. MK7 isn't enough, I wanted something faster. Ridge Racer hasn't disappointed me although the lack of online play sucks big time. NFS has online play, I hope there are people still playing.

PS Vita has started to interest me and I'm probably going to save up to it and buy it next fall.

Edit: NFS: The Run sucked ass btw. It's slow with the 3D on, ugly and what's wrong with just driving? Damn mini games...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I think it's doing very well so far Ghost Recon, Fire Emblem, Soul Hackers, Resident Evil Revelations, the update of Devil Survivor, Tales of the Abyss, and Zero Escape are all excellent games. I'm looking forward to Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Project X Zone, and there is a 3DS update for Devil Survivor 2 coming out in Japan so we might get that. I have hope for the handheld Batman Origins title as well.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YoshiYogurt
I think ti's doing very well so far Ghost Recon, Fire Emblem, Soul Hackers, Resident Evil Revelations, the update of Devil Survivor, Tales of the Abyss, and Zero Escape are all excellent games. I'm looking forward to Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Project X Zone, and there is a 3DS update for Devil Survivor 2 coming out in Japan so we might get that. I have hope for the handheld Batman Origins title as well. Legolas_Katarn
Do you not own any first party games besides Fire Emblem?
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I think ti's doing very well so far Ghost Recon, Fire Emblem, Soul Hackers, Resident Evil Revelations, the update of Devil Survivor, Tales of the Abyss, and Zero Escape are all excellent games. I'm looking forward to Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Project X Zone, and there is a 3DS update for Devil Survivor 2 coming out in Japan so we might get that. I have hope for the handheld Batman Origins title as well. YoshiYogurt

Doesn't look like it as far as the 3DS is concerned. What first party games have there been? I was really excited when I first heard about the Paper Mario game but lost interest when I saw that it wasn't like the N64/Gamecube one (same way I felt about the Wii Paper Mario). I never really had any interest in Luigis Mansion or Kid Icarus. I own Star Fox and Star Fox 64 so I didn't really see any reason to buy the 3DS version.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I think ti's doing very well so far Ghost Recon, Fire Emblem, Soul Hackers, Resident Evil Revelations, the update of Devil Survivor, Tales of the Abyss, and Zero Escape are all excellent games. I'm looking forward to Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Project X Zone, and there is a 3DS update for Devil Survivor 2 coming out in Japan so we might get that. I have hope for the handheld Batman Origins title as well. Legolas_Katarn

Doesn't look like it as far as the 3DS is concerned. What first party games have there been? I was really excited when I first heard about the Paper Mario game but lost interest when I saw that it wasn't like the N64/Gamecube one (same way I felt about the Wii Paper Mario). I never really had any interest in Luigis Mansion or Kid Icarus. I own Star Fox and Star Fox 64 so I didn't really see any reason to buy the 3DS version.

You should get interested in Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion. Some of the best for this system. Mario Kart 7 is also amazing and has basically infinite replay value with online and local play. Super Mario 3D land is also great fun, but it's only about 22 hours long, and that's if you finish 100%. Haven't played my Paper Mario 3DS yet.
imperialsenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 imperialsenate
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Now that I have sold all of my retro consoles, I play games exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS and on my PC. This is a great combination because if I am looking to play insanely complicated games or MMOs, I can play them all as well as have a legit portable system in my backpack for when I'm looking to play something more "console-ey" (ex: I'm fully obsessed with console series such as Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem, even Pokemon).
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#18 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I think it's doing quite well as far as library is concerned. I am not sure I've found a perfect 10/10, best-game-ever kind of title on it yet but there are more games I want to play than I have time to play and that is w/o taking any other systems into account. Overall, it is not at the same level as DS or GBA but it is honestly already pretty close esp. if you include some of the really great download only titles. In a few years, I could see it having the best library of any handheld ever.