WEP key, need help getting!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dannylala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dannylala
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
How do you get a wep key for a router? I look through all this junk and cant find anything on how to get it. :cry:
billy_magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 billy_magnum
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts
you cant get it unless you know someone who either made it or knows it. Unless you are some crazy skilled hacker, you cant just get it. If you own the router, you have to type in the routers ip address in IE and you should be able to find it in there.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

If you get your router's IP address and paste it into your address bar, it'll take to your router settings. It should say it if you go into Security settings.

I memorized mine (by accident, cause I had to keep reinstalling my router one time) and I have it written down.

Dannylala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dannylala

you cant get it unless you know someone who either made it or knows it. Unless you are some crazy skilled hacker, you cant just get it. If you own the router, you have to type in the routers ip address in IE and you should be able to find it in there.billy_magnum

Its my parents router so all i have to do is get the IP adress? how do you do that?

Dannylala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dannylala
Ok i have the IP adress and i type it in but it says it cant connect to the page
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

stand back people! let crunch handle this.

no.1: ask your parents for the WEP key. if they don't know it, you could just go Eh Eh Eh and turn the security settings off. and then put them on again with a different WEP key... i think.

AznTakumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AznTakumi
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts
You have to ask the person who set the wep key, a wep key is like a password so someone does not steal your wifi.
dorkod_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 dorkod_x
Member since 2006 • 215 Posts

stand back people! let crunch handle this.

no.1: ask your parents for the WEP key. if they don't know it, you could just go Eh Eh Eh and turn the security settings off. and then put them on again with a different WEP key... i think.

crunchUK

Haha, Crunch to the rescue

Avatar image for Ultimate__Gamer
Ultimate__Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Ultimate__Gamer
Member since 2006 • 655 Posts
I need help too. How do you get the IP address? So that you can get the WEP?
Avatar image for Ultimate__Gamer
Ultimate__Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Ultimate__Gamer
Member since 2006 • 655 Posts
I got the IP address, but I can't get to the WEP key. Help?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

OK, you make the WEP key yourself when you set up the router, whoever set up the router knows the key

You type in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on what brand you have (there's others but not used as often)

Then you throw in the name and password

In the name put admin and leave the password part blank and hit enter. If that doesn't work put admin in the name and put password in the password area. (unless you created your own username and password)

If you run into problems with this or the person who set up the router doesn't know any of this this is what you do...

Go to the maker's website and download the manual

Take the router and reset it (usually done by pushing a button down for a few seconds) and then follow the manual to set the settings again.

MaStErOsHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaStErOsHy
Member since 2005 • 715 Posts

u guys are all wrong and confusing this guy

All u gotta do is call ur router company and ask them they will help you get it. I forgot my WEP key twice and i called linksys both times and they helped me get it, very simple and straight forward.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

[QUOTE="billy_magnum"]you cant get it unless you know someone who either made it or knows it. Unless you are some crazy skilled hacker, you cant just get it. If you own the router, you have to type in the routers ip address in IE and you should be able to find it in there.Dannylala

Its my parents router so all i have to do is get the IP adress? how do you do that?

type it in the ^ ^ ^ address bar ^ ^ ^: usually its 192.168.1.1

skibumjon85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skibumjon85
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts

To access router security page:

Start>Run>type cmd and hit enter

Type Ipconfig in to command page and hit enter

You're router's ip address will be the "default gateway" on the list

Type the router ip address into a web browser

I screen may come up prompting for a password, try leaving the username blank and admin for the password, if this doesn't work you'll have to get the username/password from whoever configured the router.

Once you have access to the routers configuration page you can set the wep to whatever you like, or use just write down the one in use. If you can't access this page you can look at your manufactuarers website and find out how to manually reset to factory defaults.

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser the username is often admin and the password is blank, unless your parents changed it, then ask them, and they should know the wep anyway if they changed it. Not to mention that if you have any wireless laptops or anything your parents should know the WEP from when they set up the wireless, unless they had some random guy come in and do it.

Once you go there, you have to find the wireless tab, and look at the keys there and thats it.

Of course that is only if you have WEP enabled in the first place.