Wasted Opportunity, Tatsunoko VS Capcom :SPOILERS:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

THERE ARE SPOILERS HERE, DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THINGS SPOILED

OK, they gone? Good

Tatsunoko could have been an amazing game with such a powerful roster of characters and instead of that they offer one of the most watered down fighters in well over a decade.

It's inexcusable that with Capcom's and Tatsunoko's franchises there are only 11 fighters on each side. X-Men VS Street Fighter had 9 on each side and that was back in 96. The same goes for the first Marvel/Capcom fighter in 1997.

When the series finally hit it's peak in 2000 it had a roster almost hitting 30 characters to a side

The Tatsunoko side is the cream of the crop as far as this game goes but even then there's so many omissions it's criminal.

For Gatchaman we only get Ken and Jun? I understand that Joe would have been a clone but why leave out Jinpei and Ryu?

The Capcom side is just bad with characters like Viewtiful Joe being on the roster. Not only was his own franchise not viable but he was also in a fighting game that was horrible. Why he's included and a character like Captain Commando was not is just wrong.

Only one Darkstalkers entry? Megaman gets it's roster cut as well?

The worst part about it all is the final boss

THERE'S MORE SPOILERS HERE

Of all the characters that could have been the final boss they pick one from Okami? The series that no one wanted to such a degree that it closed an entire branch of Capcom?

They made Yami the final boss character.

That's like if they made a Fantastic Four game and the final boss was Paste Pot Pete.

Actually Yami is worse because at least Paste Pot Pete is an established character. Yami showed up once, no one paid to see, and it went away.

I'm shocked more people didn't say anything about the entire roster of this game being less then just one side of other Capcom VS games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Quality over quantity?A game doesn't need to have the biggest roster of characters to be good.More characters could mean more chances for possible character imbalances,anyways.

The Capcom side is just bad with characters like Viewtiful Joe being on the roster. Not only was his own franchise not viable but he was also in a fighting game that was horrible. Why he's included and a character like Captain Commando was not is just wrong. Jaysonguy

Yeah,one bad fighting game.Are you completely ignoring the fact that his other two appearances on consoles are critically acclaimed titles?One game is not representative of the entire franchise.

Of all the characters that could have been the final boss they pick one from Okami? The series that no one wanted to such a degree that it closed an entire branch of Capcom?

Jaysonguy

If I recall correctly,Okami is a great game.And it seems sort of silly to say that Okami is a "series that no one wanted to such a degree that it closed an entire branch of Capcom" when there are dozens of reasons why a game doesn't sell more than another.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Okami was an awesome game.
Okami_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Okami_Link
Member since 2007 • 488 Posts
Okami was an awesome game. Chojuto
Agreed
GameOverKayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GameOverKayo
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
+1 Completely agree. Yami is also fine as the last boss.
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts

Why does it matter if it has not been released in the US? Besides...

This would be a day one buy for me

The ability to play with Gatchaman?

Gatcha freaking man

Oh my God. How amazing would it be if they had Ichiro Mizuki sing DURING gameplay.

Jaysonguy
HERE

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
? Whats do you care, I thought you werent buying anyore Wii games?
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Only 11 characters for each O__o That sucks, and I don't think Viewtiful Joe is that big a problem as you make it sound Tc.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41595 Posts
I sense more hell coming in the way of this thread.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
How much did it cost you to import?
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
How much did it cost you to import?_BlueDuck_
He doesn't buy Wii software, how dare you imply such a thing??? :)~
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 evrdayblues
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts
Nice research on your part Cesar_Barba. (The quote you posted on page 1) Try posting helpful information Jayson... You seem consumed with hatred and somehow it's rubbing off on other people as well.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

Why does it matter if it has not been released in the US? Besides...

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

This would be a day one buy for me

The ability to play with Gatchaman?

Gatcha freaking man

Oh my God. How amazing would it be if they had Ichiro Mizuki sing DURING gameplay.

Cesar_Barba
HERE

I'm sorry, what is your point?

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
Stop your whining. It is as good as the first Marvel vs Capcom (MvC2 is overrated and a lot more unbalanced) Its better that they focused on a smaller set of characters so theres less of a chance of having clone characters. We finally get a good Wii game in a long time; an actual fighter at that, and you all you do is nitpick.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy

Stop your whining. It is as good as the first Marvel vs Capcom (MvC2 is overrated and a lot more unbalanced) Its better that they focused on a smaller set of characters so theres less of a chance of having clone characters. We finally get a good Wii game in a long time; an actual fighter at that, and you all you do is nitpick.InfinityMugen

Yes, good as a game over a decade old, have to love that progress

Also as I pointed out with Gatchaman there's plenty of characters that were nothing like the others.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]Stop your whining. It is as good as the first Marvel vs Capcom (MvC2 is overrated and a lot more unbalanced) Its better that they focused on a smaller set of characters so theres less of a chance of having clone characters. We finally get a good Wii game in a long time; an actual fighter at that, and you all you do is nitpick.Jaysonguy

Also as I pointed out with Gatchaman there's plenty of characters that were nothing like the others.

Lulz I know youre a pretty cynical dude for reasons I dont know, but I give Capcom props for supporting the Wii especially with such a solid fighter.They couldve easily reasoned that the game is "not what the Wii audience wants" and bring it over to the other consoles. Is it a new concept? No but it doesn't have to be.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

They made Yami the final boss character.

That's like if they made a Fantastic Four game and the final boss was Paste Pot Pete.

Actually Yami is worse because at least Paste Pot Pete is an established character. Yami showed up once, no one paid to see, and it went away.

I'm shocked more people didn't say anything about the entire roster of this game being less then just one side of other Capcom VS games.

Jaysonguy

Or like making scarecrow a main bad guy in a Batman film......

So i understand that u think it was a missed opportunity....but did u like the game?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]Stop your whining. It is as good as the first Marvel vs Capcom (MvC2 is overrated and a lot more unbalanced) Its better that they focused on a smaller set of characters so theres less of a chance of having clone characters. We finally get a good Wii game in a long time; an actual fighter at that, and you all you do is nitpick.Jaysonguy

How good a game is does not depend exclusively on how many playable characters there are in it.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

So it even whines about the games it's geeked out about...

Is there no end? Will it ever find happiness?

Stay tuned, folks!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]Stop your whining. It is as good as the first Marvel vs Capcom (MvC2 is overrated and a lot more unbalanced) Its better that they focused on a smaller set of characters so theres less of a chance of having clone characters. We finally get a good Wii game in a long time; an actual fighter at that, and you all you do is nitpick.clicketyclick

How good a game is does not depend exclusively on how many playable characters there are in it.

No, but it's a huge chunk

When you acquire a license you're supposed to use that license to the fullest.

Some games are marketed directly in line with the content they offer. I mean I've seen demos of fighting games offer more characters then this.

Imagine how Mario Kart would be with Just Mario and Luigi. Would people be fine with that?

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

:lol:

So was No More Heroes

On Topic : Just because there aren't a lot of characters, it doesn't mean the game won't be great. Capcom is a brilliant developer so I'm sure the game will be great nonetheless.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]

So it even whines about the games it's geeked out about...

Is there no end? Will it ever find happiness?

Stay tuned, folks!

I can't wait for episode 192!
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Yes, good as a game over a decade old, have to love that progressJaysonguy

No, but it's a huge chunk

When you acquire a license you're supposed to use that license to the fullest.

Some games are marketed directly in line with the content they offer. I mean I've seen demos of fighting games offer more characters then this.

Imagine how Mario Kart would be with Just Mario and Luigi. Would people be fine with that?

But Tatsunoko vs Capcon has 11 characters in its roster. So to be fair, add 9 more characters in addition to Mario & Luigi to you are example. And then, I will be appeased by Mario Kart's character regardless of a few cut-offs on characters.
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 evrdayblues

Good call Scar-Hawk.

I wouldn't care if there were only 4 characters in mario kart, as long as they all feel different and offer a fresh experience.

Now come on now!

Do you hate smarties because there are only 8 kinds! Get over yourself Jay~!

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
I wouldn't care if there were only 4 characters in mario kartevrdayblues
A majority of people would care and this entire board would have a little fit. Heck, there's still a ton of topics saying "What characters would you like in Smash" because people still want more. And Nintendo threw a ton in there!
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 evrdayblues
[QUOTE="evrdayblues"]I wouldn't care if there were only 4 characters in mario kartAlexSays
A majority of people would care and this entire board would have a little fit. Heck, there's still a ton of topics saying "What characters would you like in Smash" because people still want more. And Nintendo threw a ton in there!

I agree, but I hope you realise that "more characters" = purely cosmetic, most of the time. People are spoilled, and worse...
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
[QUOTE="AlexSays"][QUOTE="evrdayblues"]I wouldn't care if there were only 4 characters in mario kartevrdayblues

I agree, but I hope you realise that "more characters" = purely cosmetic, most of the time. People are spoilled, and worse...

Hell I blame Marvel V.S Capcom(one of my favorite games of all time.) People think that it was the amount of characters that made the game amazing.....which it kinda did but it was for the fact that pretty much everyone had there on seperate moves (Kinda like SSBB gotta away from the clones in SSBM)
BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

Jasonguy i completely disagree with all of your opinions ive ever read of yours and i dont like you (that is the meanest i can sound with out getting in trouble by gamespot)

also okami was a great game

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
Don't feed the troll, guys.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
lol at how few people actually respond to the point of the thread.
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

Jasonguy i completely disagree with all of your opinions ive ever read of yours and i dont like you (that is the meanest i can sound with out getting in trouble by gamespot)

also okami was a great game

BoxingTheStars

amen to both statements! cynicism ftl

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
Viewtiful Joe was awsome, you don't know what you mean half the time and you complain about unecessary things about games the other half. Games are going back to simpler times, that is the way it is. Like always you make threads that mean nothing. Fighting games with 50 characters or more usually end up all playing the same with just the outfit changing. Take the whole Dragoball Z Tenkaichi series as an example. Having 13 unique characters is better than have 20 of the same character.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
[QUOTE="-Oath"]? Whats do you care, I thought you werent buying anyore Wii games?Vexx88
Don't you realize Jason is a giant troll at this point.... Agreed!
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
That's 22 characters. Go look up Battle Fantasia that came out on the Ps3 and 360 12 characters -.-Vexx88
Yeah, 11 characters each: meaning 11 for Tatsunoko and 11 for Capcom, both sides. I don't think 22 is that bad a number, but considering that there are two companies of characters being represented in one game, not really enough honestly. However, I must bring in Mortal Kombat vs. DC. Both of them had only I think 10 characters each.
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Jaysonguy topic/10
StarkJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StarkJJ
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

Jaysonguy

You showed your comic book knowledge there. Very nice. Paste Pot Pete....awesome. Nice grab. As far as the game goes I'll reserve judgement till i've played it. If I ever get that chance here in the US.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
More complaning I see.